2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
Harvick definitely has a commentary career in his future. I've watched a couple of Xfinity races he's called and he's an absolute natural in the booth.

Has anyone else read up on what FOX is doing for the Pocono Xfinity race? It's gonna be covered ENTIRELY by Cup Drivers:

Commentary Booth: Kevin Harvick, Joey Logano, and Clint Bowyer.

Pit Reporters: Ryan Blaney, Erik Jones, and Ricky Stenhouse.

Hollywood Hotel (aka the most likely fight): Denny Hamlin and Danica Patrick.
If this means no Cup drivers are on the track, I'm all for it.

What amazes me is that they "couldn't find funding", they've been a top 10 organization for as long as I can remember. There should have been companies asking to be on their trucks.

What amazes me is that they "couldn't find funding", they've been a top 10 organization for as long as I can remember. There should have been companies asking to be on their trucks.
Sadly, success doesn't mean anything unless most sponsors get massive ROI from it (hence cup guys having to run Nationwide and CWTS events to fufill sponsor commitments) with many businesses still being very conservative with investments due to the recession a few years back. Even then, some of the companies actively sponsoring teams may pull out if management changes occur and the new guard doesn't like or care about motorsports despite the old guard finding sponsorships to be a worthwhile investment (which IIRC said actually happened to an NHRA top fuel team a year or two ago which caused them to stop racing).

Hell, Warren Johnson quit racing in NHRA Pro Stock despite being one of the best all time in that class because he couldn't afford to race and couldn't get sponsorships. It's just the sad, inevitable reality now that its way tougher for teams to get sponsorship than it has been in years, and now, even good teams are not safe now given how conservative most corporations are today with spending money.

Sadly, success doesn't mean anything unless most sponsors get massive ROI from it (hence cup guys having to run Nationwide and CWTS events to fufill sponsor commitments) with many businesses still being very conservative with investments due to the recession a few years back. Even then, some of the companies actively sponsoring teams may pull out if management changes occur and the new guard doesn't like or care about motorsports despite the old guard finding sponsorships to be a worthwhile investment (which IIRC said actually happened to an NHRA top fuel team a year or two ago which caused them to stop racing).

Hell, Warren Johnson quit racing in NHRA Pro Stock despite being one of the best all time in that class because he couldn't afford to race and couldn't get sponsorships. It's just the sad, inevitable reality now that its way tougher for teams to get sponsorship than it has been in years, and now, even good teams are not safe now given how conservative most corporations are today with spending money.
Corporate execs have to pay for that $2.8 billion house they never live in somehow.

I harbor great distain for money, this is partly why. The biggest part is the people who rub how much they have in your face.

So...what's next for Peters and Moffitt?

Two bits of news.
First up, you know the driver parade during prerace? When the drivers are paraded around the track in the back of pick up trucks? Well at Michigan, the trucks are gonna take a detour thru the infield to see the fans.

Second, the resin used at Bristol for the "Grip Strip" will be used on the top lane of Charlotte Motor Speedway for the Coca Cola 600 this weekend.

I want to say Michael Schumacher said something along these lines but the most talented driver in the world could be a taxi driver in India but thanks to how motorsports works, they would never get the chance to prove it.

There was a point in my life when I wanted to be a professional racing driver. That has passed not only because I lack the experience, I know that even if I worked on it, the money would be a massive hurdle. If even the best of the best need multiple sponsorships nowadays, how can anyone else survive if they don't have a famous name or have deep pocket connections?

If even the best of the best need multiple sponsorships nowadays, how can anyone else survive if they don't have a famous name or have deep pocket connections?

It's pretty sad how a lot of young drivers get their start nowadays. Rich parents/grandparents mostly. Thank goodness for something like NASCAR's Drive for Diversity Program or JGR's Diversity program giving good drivers a chance who would likely never get a real chance like Daniel Suarez. Most the talent based "give the kid a shot" type business is about over so your Cody Counglins, Paul Menards, John Wes Townleys, Cole Custers, Brian Scotts etc get a shot rather than a poor or regular middle class kid with immense talent. Not saying some of those guys don't have talent but they do have super rich families and as far as I can tell woke up one day and said "Dad, I want to be a racecar driver". Logano has real talent but also a millionaire kid but at least able to back it up with results. The Diversity program really only seeks minorities or women drivers so not perfect but better than nothing. I like to hear stories of big name drivers finding young talent like Kyle Busch did with Erik Jones but they are pretty rare these days. Someone told me once that if you want to make a million dollars as a racer, start with 2 million lol

Two bits of news.
First up, you know the driver parade during prerace? When the drivers are paraded around the track in the back of pick up trucks? Well at Michigan, the trucks are gonna take a detour thru the infield to see the fans.

Considering how many people that camp in the infield at a typical NASCAR event, that's a nice gesture that should be replicated elsewhere if possible.

2018 schedule. Major changes are a second Las Vegas race to replace Chicagoland and (the biggest change in my opinion) Charlotte will run its road course configuration;
www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/05/23/2018-nascar-schedule-released-playoff-changes/
There are definitely better road courses than Charlotte, however adding it to the schedule as an Elimination Race should spice things up a bit.

Edit: Here's the layout they are going to use.
FB_IMG_1495572313725.jpg

Last edited:
Question: What if someone has brake failure coming into Turn 1? That's either going to be a horrendous impact into a tire wall or possibly hitting cars coming out of turn 9.

Question: What if someone has brake failure coming into Turn 1? That's either going to be a horrendous impact into a tire wall or possibly hitting cars coming out of turn 9.

Considering the Finish line is in a hard braking zone, I'd say that whoever comes in way too hot either by choice or brake issues wins the race so long as it's the last lap.

There are definitely better road courses than Charlotte, however adding it to the schedule as an Elimination Race should spice things up a bit.

Edit: Here's the layout they are going to use.
View attachment 648756

Holy 🤬! Didn't see this coming. Only concern is that the finish line might be in the breaking zone for turn 1. I think everyone here knows these cars don't have short breaking zones. Maybe they'll consider moving it closer to oval turn 4?

Side note: I hope this means we're a step closer to Road America getting a Cup date.

Last edited:

I say it be a similar setup to Daytona's road course, a good size tire island on the outside of turn 9.

Also there should be some rows of tires on the inside of turn 1 to prevent a collision that happen in a 1985 IMSA race at Charlotte.

I'm in the minority here, but I do not like this at all.

I would have rather they just left Charlotte alone and replaced it with an actual road course like Mid-Ohio, Road America, or even Montreal.

I'm in the minority here, but I do not like this at all.

I would have rather they just left Charlotte alone and replaced it with an actual road course like Mid-Ohio, Road America, or even Montreal.
I don't understand why we need to use the same track twice (3 counting non-points) in a season. The Coke 600 is still there. I too would love to have an actual road course as well.

Don't discount the desire of the teams to stay close to home whenever possible. Going on the road for long trips is exhausting and expensive.

All of the tracks have contracts up until 2026. No new tracks are joining the Cup calendar unless they expand the calendar itself. This is genuinely then best they can do right now with the schedule.

In regards to turn one with concerns about brakes, from what I've seen of Daytona at the Rolex 24, I believe they leave the oval track open, only adding a few cones, if even, to direct drivers around the track. I don't think a brake failure will do more than pancake the side of the car, much less cause any major wrecks if they keep the oval open all the way around and use it as an "escape route" of sorts. Cars coming out of the infield may have a chance being hit, but as long as the spotters are on top of it and the cars can get low quick enough, they should be alright.

Can we get a test session for the road course, NASCAR? I want to see how it runs!

Eva
All of the tracks have contracts up until 2026. No new tracks are joining the Cup calendar unless they expand the calendar itself. This is genuinely then best they can do right now with the schedule.

I thought it was until 2020 or 2024.

So we're stuck with these tracks til then, huh?

I thought it was until 2020 or 2024.

So we're stuck with these tracks til then, huh?
To my knowledge, the contracts were 10 years and were finalized last year.

This looks a helluvalot like Daytona, missing only a bus stop to merely be a condensed clone, but it's something different.

Looking over the changes...nothing offensive that I can see. Vegas taking Chicagoland's "playoff" slot is meh, but I'm very surprised that Richmond gave up it's current spot for a chase one, and that Indy is moving a couple weeks later to take that final "regular" race slot.

I want to say Michael Schumacher said something along these lines but the most talented driver in the world could be a taxi driver in India but thanks to how motorsports works, they would never get the chance to prove it.
It's a popular adage in motorsport. It's been around for ages, and I've heard it attributed to everyone from Senna to Ecclestone. I've also heard "woodcutter in Siberia", "farmer in Bolivia" and "camel-driver in the Sahara" in place of "taxi driver in India".

Back