2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
To be clear, I mean a wreck happening before they even take the green for the restart, a la Harvick at Talladega a few years ago.
Oh. I was thinking before they got to the overtime line. In that case, I think this might be the first time.

Hamlin was having the same issue as Johnson. Something was blowing up.

On an unrelated note: is it just me or are the accidents becoming a lot more violent at Indy?

Hamlin was having the same issue as Johnson. Something was blowing up.

On an unrelated note: is it just me or are the accidents becoming a lot more violent at Indy?
I assumed it was a tire rub from being hit by the 6 car in the previous restart crash. Hamlin had fenders flapping in every direction.

Keselowski staying at Penske

Clint Bowyer's Darlington paint scheme

14SC17_Carolina-Ford-Dealers_3Q1-1100x850.jpg

I might have an idea to avoid ending a race early due to darkness: start the race before 3:30! đź’ˇ
This was the main point of argument during the rain delay on Twitter. Majority of people seemed to dislike it but there were a lot of west coast people defending the times.

West Coast NASCAR fan here. I think 1PM Eastern would be fine. Not sure why it's always 3pm Eastern to appease us. Most people are up and about by 10 am as far as I am concerned. I wake up early even on weekends. Will be up and about by 8 am. I would actually prefer earlier west coast start times so I can do more with my day after the race is over.

So I was browsing Jayski and I came across the TV ratings for Indy. They were quite interesting.

"The NASCAR Cup Series Brickyard 400 earned a 3.4 final rating and 5.6 million viewers on NBC Sunday afternoon, up 10% in ratings and 8% in viewership from last year (3.1, 5.2M) and up 13% and 20% respectively from 2015 (3.0, 4.7M), both of which aired on NBCSN."

And then this little gem.
"For the first time since 2009, the Brickyard 400 earned a larger audience than the Indianapolis 500, which takes place at the same racetrack (5.5M)."

So I was browsing Jayski and I came across the TV ratings for Indy. They were quite interesting.

"The NASCAR Cup Series Brickyard 400 earned a 3.4 final rating and 5.6 million viewers on NBC Sunday afternoon, up 10% in ratings and 8% in viewership from last year (3.1, 5.2M) and up 13% and 20% respectively from 2015 (3.0, 4.7M), both of which aired on NBCSN."

And then this little gem.
"For the first time since 2009, the Brickyard 400 earned a larger audience than the Indianapolis 500, which takes place at the same racetrack (5.5M)."

This race was on NBC not NBCSN so that there will ensure higher numbers. We've been debating NASCAR ratings for the past couple of years. Also I've said many times in the past few weeks when the subject comes up, Americans don't generally care about open wheel racing be it Indycars or F1. NASCAR ratings kill most any Indycar ratings maybe with the exception of the Indy 500 which everyone seems to care about for whatever reason. So even with lower ratings than the past NASCAR still is popular among Americans and will continue to be so long as it's televised. Yes ratings have been down in recent years but you see what happens when a race is televised on a station everyone has like NBC or Fox. FS1 and NBCSN you usually have to pay extra for those. Hence lower ratings.

2 of Martin Truex Jr's Crew are suspended for 3 weeks from the confrontation with the 18's Crew Chief, Adam Stevens. This is a BS suspension considering Stevens started it and no blows were thrown. This coming from the #1 18 fanboy. It's worth mentioning that NASCAR did not suspend the 2 Crewmembers. It was handed down by Joe Giggs himself. C'mon, Joe!

It's worth mentioning that NASCAR did not suspend the 2 Crewmembers. It was handed down by Joe Giggs himself. C'mon, Joe!

Hold up... Gibbs isn't the team owner for FRR, even though they have a technical alliance he shouldn't have the authority to do so, that belongs to Barney Visser. What the actual 🤬.

Hold up... Gibbs isn't the team owner for FRR, even though they have a technical alliance he shouldn't have the authority to do so, that belongs to Barney Visser. What the actual 🤬.

Gibbs provides the pit crews for FRR so he does have the authority to suspend them.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't pull out earlier, given how much of a beating the retail sector's been taking from Amazon the last few years. Still though, this part of the article makes me feel like they won't have problems getting a new full-time sponsor for the 42:
Larson has generated enough on-air TV time that Nielsen says that for the first time since the inception of its Sport24 program, fellow NASCAR team sponsor Lowe’s was surpassed by another brand -- in this case Target -- as the most valuable primary sponsor at the midway point of the season.

It makes sense that Target is throwing their sponsorship dollars at Minnesota United FC...but whether or not that's gonna pay off considering that MUFC is arguably one of the worst teams in MLS, especially in comparison to their other expansion stablemate, Atlanta, plus a hyper extended sports market in the Twin Cities of Minnesota, we shall see.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't pull out earlier, given how much of a beating the retail sector's been taking from Amazon the last few years.

Amazon has only exacerbated the issues caused by the poor management Target has had recently. Things like the failed Canada expansion and PR disaster that was the 2014 data breach haven't helped matters either.

Still though, this part of the article makes me feel like they won't have problems getting a new full-time sponsor for the 42:

As much as I dislike Chip, he is very good at getting sponsors on board.

Amazon has only exacerbated the issues caused by the poor management Target has had recently. Things like the failed Canada expansion and PR disaster that was the 2014 data breach haven't helped matters either.

Failure doesn't even begin to describe it. Simply, when you are basically taking old Zellers stores (Which weren't that great to begin with, and they were under the umbrella of Canada's largest shopping empire in HBC) and populating it with the same garbage, barely stocking them, and not even extending the same savings Canadians could get going into the US and shopping at Target stores there, it was bad.

This article dos a good job of setting up why Target failed here: http://www.canadianbusiness.com/the-last-days-of-target-canada/

Back