2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
Because Paul Menard has the cash money from his parents Menards store chain (and he rarely does stupid **** with his car), Chase Elliott has NAPA and support from HoF daddy, Ty Dillion has Richard Childress' support because they're related, Aric Armirola has the massive cash money from bacon empire Smithfield and Trevor Bayne is still with Roush because Ford.
I agree with you on where the money comes from. Its the results that I can't seem to understand. How the corporate money goes to teams like these, when as stated by quite a few members here that you could have Kenseth who is a series champion in your car.

And now I present a question. Does the silly season begin now or later? Jones into the 20 now that Kenseth is eliminated, Kahne released so Byron can get seat time, etc.

Also, Way to go Derrike. Convince someone to start a team, finish dead last driving for them.

And now I present a question. Does the silly season begin now or later? Jones into the 20 now that Kenseth is eliminated, Kahne released so Byron can get seat time, etc.

Eeehhh, not yet. Both still have teammates in the championship so they are sorta now expendable as experiment cars for what they can do with the other cars in the playoffs.

Also, Way to go Derrike. Convince someone to start a team, finish dead last driving for them.

Well its Derrike Cope, it couldn't have gone any other way.

Derrike Cope was in this race? :odd::lol:

But no, seriously. I knew the team had been pushed back a few weeks from their intended first race, but I didn't even see anything about them all weekend long.

(And why should I have? They're a dead last team.)

Derrike Cope was in this race? :odd::lol:

But no, seriously. I knew the team had been pushed back a few weeks from their intended first race, but I didn't even see anything about them all weekend long.

(And why should I have? They're a dead last team.)
I've got cold pizza says they were a start & park thing.

Well, they lasted a whole 35 laps before retiring due to "handling" (whatever that means). I'll pass on that bet. :lol:

"Handling" (noun) - the act of having enough money to run a racing operation with decent equipment and having a driver capable at the current point in time.

They aren't even underfunded, since they made BK Racing look like a top teir team, and their driver hasn't been relevant in at least twenty years, if at all.

Yeah, the car wasn't "handling" at all. :lol:

I'll give them props for the effort, but it feels like Cope came up to then and said "I'll make you a top teir team", somebody fell for it, and are now just throwing money away.

I did see the car head down pit road about ten laps in to the race. So it's possible that in their very first race, they didn't have everything figured out yet, and the car really wasn't able to make all of the laps safely, even at a backmarker's pace. If they completed 35 laps, they must have attempted to go back out at least once. I actually give them credit for pulling off instead of staying out and interfering with a championship elimination race.

The 42 gets eliminated. Probably the only guy that could consistently run with the 78 all year. Just another reason the chase sucks and NASCAR is dying a slow death.
All that talk about how playoff points was supposed to aid teams in covering misfortunes like his first ever engine DNF but still wasn't enough to cover Talladega.

I'm actually more mad with what happened with Kenseth. I didn't even know too many men over the wall was an auto-DSQ. I swear by looking at him during post-game interviews that he was on the verge of unleashing a tirade that would get him blacklisted from NASCAR.

I'm actually more mad with what happened with Kenseth. I didn't even know too many men over the wall was an auto-DSQ. I swear by looking at him during post-game interviews that he was on the verge of unleashing a tirade that would get him blacklisted from NASCAR.
Effectively anything that would be a normal penalty will give NASCAR an opening to park someone.

I expect to see signs soon that say "If anyone but Truex wins, we riot!", especially at homestead.

Effectively anything that would be a normal penalty will give NASCAR an opening to park someone.

I expect to see signs soon that say "If anyone but Truex wins, we riot!", especially at homestead.
Anarchy may be the only thing that will actually get NASCAR to consider scrapping a system that is pushing the series championship towards illegitimacy.

Yep, the Chase sucks. One of the best 3 cars doesn't even make it to the round of 8 thanks to a single blown engine. And you know, despite being the best team all year, the 78 won't win the championship. Just have that feeling that somehow Johnson takes #8.

I would be OK with the 48 winning despite the fact that the 78 was the best all year. It would put aside the fact that Petty and Earnhardt ran in an era where there were at most 10 competitive cars each week and that JJ was far better than either of them.

Unfortunately a very nice and humble young man will be used in all of the wrong ways by NASCAR

Semi agree but I believe JGR and Roush didn't do a good enough job marketing Bubba to sponsors. I'm sure that there are plenty of sponsors who would love to work with a well spoken African American driver who was tearing it up in a predominately white sport with a redneck heritage. NASCAR is going to beat it to death but I think it's great for the sport all around.

Semi agree but I believe JGR and Roush didn't do a good enough job marketing Bubba to sponsors. I'm sure that there are plenty of sponsors who would love to work with a well spoken African American driver who was tearing it up in a predominately white sport with a redneck heritage. NASCAR is going to beat it to death but I think it's great for the sport all around.
They won't run it into the ground as bad as Fox and NBC will.

He's apparently been working on getting Domino's to sponsor him when he can, and doing it on social media too.

Joey Logano on pole. Martin Truex Jr. starts second. Dale Jr. starts 21st, and Jimmie Johnson starts last after spinning in round two and changing tires and a rear gear.

They talked all week about Jeff Gordon's last win being at Martinsville and Chase Elliott is leading. Elliott drives Gordon's former car, #24. Elliott has yet to win a MECS race. /conspiracy

I know what I'd like to see the #24 do right now. If he does it, he'll gain a lot of fans, but does he have the guts to do it?

I'm not saying I agree with what Hamlin did, but I almost saw it coming.

But hey, my guy's through to Miami. Time to take a few weeks off and see what happens. Oughta be an interesting week up to Texas.

IIRC, I said after Dover that Chase would either have to win a race or flip **** to open up his potential. Seeing part of the race and reading some updates, I think the ****-flipping may be imminent.

IIRC, I said after Dover that Chase would either have to win a race or flip **** to open up his potential. Seeing part of the race and reading some updates, I think the ****-flipping may be imminent.
I honestly feel he's been too tame and laid back to do it. Settling for 2nd every week. Other drivers telling Newman off a few weeks ago while Chase just kind of accepted it. He's needed someone to light the fire under his 🤬 and get him to fight his own battles.

Dare I say it, this might have just done that.

Back