2017 NFL Season

• Thread starter Blitz24
  • 592 comments
Just remember the Rams were expected to go 4-12 until an offensive coach came in and sorted out Goff. And the Bills were expected to make a total rebuild yet made the playoffs for the first time in the 21st century. Anything can happen during the offseason.

If Gruden does become coach, be ready for Spider 2Y Banana.

Speaking of that "anything can happen":

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ders-prepping-10year-100m-deal-for-jon-gruden

Really? ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS FOR 10 YEARS FOR GRUDEN???? Man, if we don't win at least 3 SB over the course of the next decade, I'm going to be really, REALLY pissed off.

There's no way he's worth that much. He didn't win building up Oakland, he won then fell off in Tampa, he knows the game but I don't think he can just walk in and change the fortune of the team.

I'm rooting for the Pats. Gotta keep the evil empire going. I wouldn't mind the Rams winning it all either, since they're local

Also, I'm finding a distinction lack of Jimmy G-spot (where my Niner fans at?!) in this thread, so allow me to fix that:
bng-l-49ers-1106-15.jpg

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

He is going to be really good for san fran next year.
What a steal. I was shocked when i heard we let him go, especially after letting jacoby go to indy. ( no i dont think brisset is better than Jimmy G, nor will he be).

Caz
He is going to be really good for san fran next year.
What a steal. I was shocked when i heard we let him go, especially after letting jacoby go to indy. ( no i dont think brisset is better than Jimmy G, nor will he be).

Thank the Patriots owner for forcing the trade through.

Couldn't believe that the Pats traded Jimmy G either. They better hope nothing happens to Brady in the playoffs. He's managed to avoid the Madden curse so far.

If we know anything about Belicheat it's that he only says what he wants you to hear. That whole ESPN article seemed very much from the Belichick side of things because it was so anti-Brady, Kraft and Guerrero.

While he is potentially laying the groundwork for his eventual exit from the Pats, it seems like a weird time for this. I would expect to hear this type of story during the off-season after another playoff failure by New England and not right before their playoffs begin. The timing suggests to me that it is more a motivational tool for the team and for Brady to get their acts together.

During the playoff runs where the Pats are favored to win, that is usually where they fall flat in the crucial games. It has been when they have looked about to collapse or as underdogs that they find ways to win. During the 10 year drought of Super Bowls that ended with their past two victories, they were always expected to win. But in the last two Super Bowls, as underdogs in 50 and barely favorites in 51, they came through. I see this whole story as a way for Belichick to make us all think they are down and for him to motivate the team.

In New York, stories are coming out that Belichick is looking to make his way to the Giants. This I find hard to believe. Not only would the Giants probably have to give up the 2nd overall pick for him because he is still under contract, just think of what he would cost. Gruden gets $100 million for 10 years (and possible part ownership of the team) and now the most revered active coach basically gets a blank check. He would cost at least $100 million but for half the years.

The quest for the Lombardi Trophy begins today. The championship dream will end for four teams this weekend with these Wild Card matches. Four teams will advance to continue towards playing in Super Bowl LII in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Should you be following this weekend's games, enjoy the action!

I'm rooting for the Pats. Gotta keep the evil empire going. I wouldn't mind the Rams winning it all either, since they're local

There's only one Evil Empire.

It'd be nice to see the Rams win, but it'll suck for St. Louis.

If we know anything about Belicheat it's that he only says what he wants you to hear. That whole ESPN article seemed very much from the Belichick side of things because it was so anti-Brady, Kraft and Guerrero.

While he is potentially laying the groundwork for his eventual exit from the Pats, it seems like a weird time for this. I would expect to hear this type of story during the off-season after another playoff failure by New England and not right before their playoffs begin. The timing suggests to me that it is more a motivational tool for the team and for Brady to get their acts together.

During the playoff runs where the Pats are favored to win, that is usually where they fall flat in the crucial games. It has been when they have looked about to collapse or as underdogs that they find ways to win. During the 10 year drought of Super Bowls that ended with their past two victories, they were always expected to win. But in the last two Super Bowls, as underdogs in 50 and barely favorites in 51, they came through. I see this whole story as a way for Belichick to make us all think they are down and for him to motivate the team.

In New York, stories are coming out that Belichick is looking to make his way to the Giants. This I find hard to believe. Not only would the Giants probably have to give up the 2nd overall pick for him because he is still under contract, just think of what he would cost. Gruden gets $100 million for 10 years (and possible part ownership of the team) and now the most revered active coach basically gets a blank check. He would cost at least $100 million but for half the years.

That whole story seems really overhyped. And it's not like it's a bunch of articles or reports over the past few months, it's one article a week before they play their first playoff game. But maybe their locker room really is divided. And maybe, just maybe, the Bills beat the Jags, then beat a divided Patriots team to go to the AFC Championship...

What really makes me mad about the Patriots though is how they won their Super Bowls. Russell Wilson's choke, Matt Ryan's choke, the tuck rule to get there to face the Greatest Show on Turf...Only one, maybe two, were won legitimately. And in a way, it's almost unfair to call them a dynasty. They won three in the early 2000s, all very close games that could've went either way, than had an interlude between 2005-2014 that resulted in regular season dominance, but postseason failure, including two losses to Eli, then a resurgence between 2014-2017, where they made it two super bowls, stared into the eyes of defeat, but somehow won both of them. 6/7 SBs were decided by four points or fewer, and one won in overtime by six points.

Last edited:
If Andy Reid stress ate, we'd be in famine. I cannot believe the Chiefs lost that game.

In other news:

0105-jon-gruden-raiders-composite-3.jpg

RAIDAZ!!!!

A shame that Tyrod's last play as a Bill (probably) ended in a concussion. I really hope they don't bring him back next year. He's not a bad QB, but he showed that he can be a QB that gets you 7-9 wins, but can't win in big time situations. Hopefully we can pick up Kirk Cousins, though he probably doesn't want to come to Buffalo, or draft some gunslinger out of the draft, but the chances of him being a bust are high. The safe bet would be keep Tyrod, but hopefully they roll the dice.

When Peterman came in I thought he'd have some miracle and we'd tie it. But he threw a pick that wasn't a pick. But the refs wanted the game to be over. So it is what it is. Bills fans are used to getting screwed by the refs anyway.

Last edited:
Watching the Bills/Jags game seemed like a game of which quarterback wanted to play worse. Neither Taylor or Bortles looked good in that game.

Watching the Bills/Jags game seemed like a game of which quarterback wanted to play worse. Neither Taylor or Bortles looked good in that game.
That game was always going to be about defensive plays as that's the speciality of both of those teams.

After that game, if Pittsburgh loses then the Steelers need to start over. I've seen better games out of the Browns.

Oh well, here's to another offseason of hoping the Panthers can get one or two receivers that are actually halfway decent, either in free agency or the draft. Not holding my breath though.

I can't believe what happened in KC: The Chiefs blewing a 21-3 lead to the worst playoff team of this season. I turned off the TV and expected to see a game recap of the Titans loss by 9:00pm... only to see yet ANOTHER Chiefs/Andy Reid choke... he reeeeaaaaaaally needs to step down and call it a career, he just won't win the big one, NEVER.

And the Mariotta pass... my god... That has to be the most bizarre thing I've seen in a football field in a while.

And the Mariotta pass... my god... That has to be the most bizarre thing I've seen in a football field in a while.

Awesome and hilarious. I love his block way more tho <3

Jerome

I watched the Patrick Mahomes week 17 highlight the other day...that guy is going to be an absolute gunslinger. Looks like Favre.

I saw that there's a chance the Bills and the Chiefs could work out a deal for Alex Smith, but it's all an opinion and there's absolutely nothing official to it. Seeing how Alex Smith successfully tutored Kaepernick (but he lost the Super Bowl and turned into a bum) and Mahomes looked real good playing with backups, he could be really nice to have in front of a rookie QB. And all this time I thought Tyrod was in the last year of his contract, he has another year left. So the Bills could probably get a couple picks out of him.

Any speculation on who the Vikes might keep?

I wouldn't want Alex Smith in Buffalo. Watch his game at Giant's Stadium to see how effective his noodle arm is on a windy day.

At this point, I think the Vikings keep Bridgewater and Keenum but release or trade Bradford. He's damaged goods and Keenum gives Bridgewater another year to recover and train. Now if Keenum leads them to the Super Bowl, they might dump both of the other two. How old is Keenum anyway?

I wouldn't want Alex Smith in Buffalo. Watch his game at Giant's Stadium to see how effective his noodle arm is on a windy day.

At this point, I think the Vikings keep Bridgewater and Keenum but release or trade Bradford. He's damaged goods and Keenum gives Bridgewater another year to recover and train. Now if Keenum leads them to the Super Bowl, they might dump both of the other two. How old is Keenum anyway?
Keenum turns 30 next month.

Any speculation on who the Vikes might keep?

That's an interesting situation:

Keenum can make this team SB Champions and with that, he can take his place as a hero for the organization AND as a legit starter at his position. If the Vikes win it all, expect Keenum under center next season. And even if he doesn't win, I think the Vikings will be wise enough to keep him around.

Bradford is quite good when healthy as showcased last season. But like we all know, he's made out of glass. Because of that, I think he would be an ideal backup and nothing more. I like the guy a lot, but when you can't stay healthy, you can't be a franchise QB (are you listening, Andrew Luck?)

...and Bridgewater, well, he's still young, but I don't see a high ceiling for him TBH. His tape from 2014 and 2015 is not impressive, at least for me. And then, there's his knee, which got completely destroyed almost 2 years ago. We don't know where he is physically at this point.

For me, Teddy is done in Minnesota. Bradford and Keenum should be Vikings next season.

I have been thinking with the whole Brady/Belichick thing. So let me envision a scenario. Let's say the Patriots lose by at least 14 points or on a game-winning field goal. What's next for these two?

I'm not saying it will happen, but it could. It is kind of pick-your-poison with the Titans and Patriots. Since I'm a Texans fan, TEN is one of our rivals. Most of us see New England as the Evil Empire. So either way, it's more the lesser of two evils.

Thing about the Vikings and Keenum is that the team feels like that first Ravens Championship team, QB'd by...was it Trent Dilfer? The offence had enough to score, but the Defense was top notch.

So far looks like NE and Eagles.
Although NE was expected.
Eagles got lucky because Falcons only wanted to pass instead of run at the end.

Today, Jags might make the upset but I don't think it will happen.
Vikings should have the win at home as their 7-1 at home, Saints are 4-4 on the road.

Back