2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 3,963 comments
  • 194,172 views
Alot of people hated him for that "retirement" the reasons didn't seem acceptable without hindsight.
I don't think that anyone objected to him leaving the team or his reasons for it. It was the way he did it that raised peoples' ire. He pretty much claimed that he'd had a breakdown and had lost his passion for the sport, and so retirement on compassionate grounds was his only option. But then within about two months, he'd miraculously bounced back. It was deceptive and manipulative.
 
And most of all it was Correct.
 
Yeah, wasn't right. The Stone Brothers didn't even know. He shoulda, coulda, woulda, but just ruined it to be a fan. Just when I felt he was the one to follow.

Well, champ he is now. Guess he's on that right team. No worries there.
 
Yeah, wasn't right. The Stone Brothers didn't even know.
And I for one find it difficult to believe that SBR had such a watertight contract that the sale of the team did not automatically trigger an exit clause that van Gisbergen could pick up.
 
Alot of people hated him for that "retirement" the reasons didn't seem acceptable without hindsight.

Oh I found more people disliked him for his on track antics than anything else.
 
All I look for in a driver is their sheer skill behind the wheel, and Giz has that in spades.
Personality or not.
 
And I for one find it difficult to believe that SBR had such a watertight contract that the sale of the team did not automatically trigger an exit clause that van Gisbergen could pick up.
I have to read the article again. I believe it wasn't called for by Jimmy or Ross. They were under the impression the drivers were locked in.
 
And I for one find it difficult to believe that SBR had such a watertight contract that the sale of the team did not automatically trigger an exit clause that van Gisbergen could pick up.
Well they obviously did if they proceeded legal proceedings as soon as he announced he was joining Tekno, the fact it ended in a Settlement(that Gis or T8 would of likely paid) does sound to me that it was watertight.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/06/30/settlement-ends-van-gisbergen-court-case/

If it was 1 year he probably would of sucked it up, but it was a 3 Year Deal, SBR screwed him over here.
 
All I look for in a driver is their sheer skill behind the wheel, and Giz has that in spades.
Personality or not.

So does Whincup doesn't change the fact both pull stupid moves either because they feel the need to be brash, or simply because they can get away with it. Doesn't change the fact both are fast and talented but I never understood people liking drivers in a 1 dimensional reason while ignoring the rest of what they do.

If SVG was fast without fault like a couple other drivers on the grid, then I could understand and like the guy beyond the contract drama a few years back.
 
Oh I found more people disliked him for his on track antics than anything else.
And i bet that was on top of what he was hated for, if you have a reason to hate someone and they are not a conventional driver it's easy to give him extra hate.


If SVG was fast without fault like a couple other drivers on the grid, then I could understand and like the guy beyond the contract drama a few years back.

You sure you watch racing? someone is going to make a bone head move eventually no matter how they are perceived.

I mean it doesn't help that SVG has the personality of a Cave man but still.
 
Oh I found more people disliked him for his on track antics than anything else.
He's definitely talented, but he can be a bit overly aggressive. I guess it all depends on the person viewing him.
 
And i bet that was on top of what he was hated for, if you have a reason to hate someone and they are not a conventional driver it's easy to give him extra hate.

Oh I see it's cause he's "different", makes sense now.


You sure you watch racing? someone is going to make a bone head move eventually no matter how they are perceived.

I mean it doesn't help that SVG has the personality of a Cave man but still.

Kind of a redundant bit of sarcasm, simply because you don't understand me. Not at all surprising

SVG has made many bad moves on purpose it could be said, if it was simply a silly or brain fade type moves, I wouldn't care. When you try to be that type of driver that's different.
He's definitely talented, but he can be a bit overly aggressive. I guess it all depends on the person viewing him.

Yeah basically what I said and why I dislike him. There are a few that usually have the best or better car in the situation, but force the issue and then cause more harm than good. And that's why I dislike the guy cause he does this. He's a great driver, has tons of ability to be flawless and from time to time he ruins it with being impatient or overly aggressive.
 
My wife still hates R.Kelly for spinning Lowndes. I don't mind him because he pretty much races on his own.

Giz had me hooked. The kid ca drive. That Hamilton win was emotional. I was a fan. He's a cunning driver and at times, I gave him his props, but as a fan, like Reynolds said, "Dead to me..."

People hate Courtney for whatever reason. People hate Tander for whatever reason. I'm not a fan of Davison. But with Giz, it's like that Anakin and Obi-Wan moment: "You were my brother..." :sly:
 
My wife still hates R.Kelly for spinning Lowndes. I don't mind him because he pretty much races on his own.

Giz had me hooked. The kid ca drive. That Hamilton win was emotional. I was a fan. He's a cunning driver and at times, I gave him his props, but as a fan, like Reynolds said, "Dead to me..."

People hate Courtney for whatever reason. People hate Tander for whatever reason. I'm not a fan of Davison. But with Giz, it's like that Anakin and Obi-Wan moment: "You were my brother..." :sly:
That's why R.Kelly will always be nothing more than a paper champion to me.
 
The important thing to remember is that Lowndes can do no wrong. Ever. He's just a legend. I really hope he has a more consistent season this year.
 
I'm not disputing SVG has made a few bonehead moves over the years, but when he's on, he's almost untouchable. And that's why I appreciate his driving.
 
The important thing to remember is that Lowndes can do no wrong. Ever. He's just a legend. I really hope he has a more consistent season this year.
I've followed Craig since his first Formula FORD race at Winton in '91. I even got to drive the same car at Sandown later that year.

'Crackers' is human just like the rest of us so, he's made mistakes & he'll make some more in the future.
What the guy has got going for him is phenomenal car control that allows him to step over the edge & blatantly dance there.
CL will be the first to admit that he isn't the best qualifier. IMO, that's the one thing that hurts his chances when racing such a tightly packed field that's so evenly matched.

If I could change one thing about Lowndes' driving style, it'd be his 'early apex' line that he takes through any given corner.
He loves a car with a totally trustworthy front end. Grip that up & he'll deal with whatever the rear is doing.
The line he takes is just fine most of the time but, on some corners it hurts his exit speed onto a long straight & leaves him vulnerable.
If you were behind him and trying to pass him, watch him early apex, make sure you mid/late apex, concentrating on exit speed & you'll give him something to think about.

Either way, he's still got it & was slicing his way through the field in the wet race at Clipsal until they red flagged it. Legend.
 
February 6th is the reveal for Walkinshaw Racing

👍

Interesting that's the day after the 12hr. Bathurst reveal, maybe?
 
Last edited:
I think they need to cut it down to 2 before they do anymore they haven't been good for years.
 
The trouble in recent years has been their consistency. The cars are good on street circuits and fairly good at Bathurst (Though that may have just been down to Tander's ability, more than anything) but pretty rubbish everywhere else. That's why I think Pye will be good for them. He should bring some fresh ideas to the table.
 
There is so many teams/drivers to watch this year. How will Simona do? Will DJRTP show their might? How will Walkinshaw go? Will SVG and JW clash? What about Tander and GRM? I absolutely can not wait for the season to start!
 
The trouble in recent years has been their consistency.
I have heard that it's a by-product of how the cars are actually built. It seems that Walkinshaw built their cars the way they had always built them, even with the introduction of the Car of the Future regulations - but what they didn't forsee was that the new regulations would have an impact on the performance and set-up of the car because of the way the cars were built. For all intents and purposes, Walkinshaw and Triple Eight were effectively building two completely different cars despite common components and running under the Holden badge.

I'm not sure how much I believe it, though.
 
There is so many teams/drivers to watch this year. How will Simona do? Will DJRTP show their might? How will Walkinshaw go? Will SVG and JW clash? What about Tander and GRM? I absolutely can not wait for the season to start!
Other than DJRTP, I'll be following Simona. Due to no real rookies in any of the teams, she may be running last place all year. I'd gauge her on Heimgartner's performance if anything. Provided she doesn't cop any DNF's.

Nismo are gonna do it. All three will be top 10 all year. It'll happen if they qualify well. The Altima is ready.

DJRTP just have to qualify well. They kill on strategy, but I'm just wanting them to qualify top 5 all year. That's all I'm asking for.

Walkinshaw will be fine.

RBHRT will be about pole positions. Who gets the most out of the two? We'll see.

If Tander gets to steer the S60, I say he gets some wins. Moffat will be right there as well. Depends if the car is complete or a Volvodore.

Erebus might be on for some consistent podiums. Reynolds is happy and it's hard to beat a driver that's happy.
If Wood can't make this work, he should go GT racing. Or just go.

BJR scare me. They are going to take points away from DJRTP, if DJRTP are not 100% focused. Again, Percat will be on the podium and getting pole positions. Slade is a given. Continuing on from last year's performance. The same for Holdsworth.

PRA. I'm scratching my head with these guys. I can't call it at all. Chaz got 5 poles, but was caught in a few mishaps.
Frosty got a win, but just fizzled out. Waters felt that fire from the real racers at Perth. The drivers at the front don't play. So, he has that experience and finishing 4th at Bathurst for inspiration.

Lowndes & Davison will probably push each other for pit position.

I have no idea about LDM or Aeren Russell. We'll see how things pan out.
 
Back