2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 3,963 comments
http://apexnews.co.nz/grm-set-to-be-powered-by-chevrolet-v8-engines-in-2017/

I thought Polestar owned the chassis as well as the engine?
It's VESA/Supercars property
http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/grm-v-volvo-no-decision/?sf46374700=1
Volvo and Polestar have made it clear they wants to exercise a clause in the contract to buy back the cars and the B8444S engines developed specifically for the Supercars program.

GRM agrees the engine, developed by Volvo’s global racing motorsport partner, Cyan Racing, is Volvo’s to reclaim, but argues the Chinese-owned Swedish car manufacturer has no right to the cars themselves, which are based on a proprietary Supercars chassis.

Triple Eight have pulled off a minor coup, spiriting Matt Campbell away from Nissan to partner van Gisbergen in the enduros.

Triple Eight have pulled off a minor coup, spiriting Matt Campbell away from Nissan to partner van Gisbergen in the enduros.
👍
Money talks.
Erm, No. Nissan didn't have Matt signed up in which case he's available to anyone who asks the question & agree terms.

But it apparently doesn't speak French. I know everyone was sceptical when Triple Eight signed Prémat last year, but he did a pretty good job.
He did a brilliant job, did everything that was expected of him & more.
And, who says Premat is going anywhere?
If I had to say who was the weakest of the 888 co-drivers in 2016, it's Steven Richards.
Maybe, just maybe, Lowndes will have a Frenchman as his co-driver?

It seems that Walkinshaw built their cars the way they had always built them, even with the introduction of the Car of the Future regulations -

Think either you've mentioned that before or I saw it somewhere else. Extremely naive of them if true. :crazy:
Premat and McLaughlin has been pretty expected for a while, even before this announcement. It just hasn't been announced officially.

Yeah, I saw some talk on Twitter a little while ago that DJRTP had signed Premat. Guess there was some weight to after all.

I just took it for granted that DJRTP would keep D'Alberto despite losing Pye.

It'd be ironic if they let D'Alberto go, after they replaced Pye with him, for their final test session before Homebush last year.

Last edited:
:lol:

Interesting to see what GRM does. It's certain that Golding will get the gig again with Moffat. But Wall with Tander? Or do they try and bring Luff over?
Ryan doesn't want to spend much money since spending much of Tander's share, to keep Courtney. I say D'alberto & Pye.

That S60 is going to be a different car with that Holden V8. Wonder if the extra weight up front will be the main factor.
Anyway, I'll go with Wall & Tander.
Luff could come over, but he wouldn't have been in the car like Wall.

Let's hope GRM are racing this year.

Ryan doesn't want to spend much money since spending much of Tander's share, to keep Courtney. I say D'alberto & Pye.

That S60 is going to be a different car with that Holden V8. Wonder if the extra weight up front will be the main factor.
Anyway, I'll go with Wall & Tander.
Luff could come over, but he wouldn't have been in the car like Wall.

Let's hope GRM are racing this year.
The extra weight of the iron block Holden behind the grille means, GRM are going to have to find the balance again.
They may as well poach Luff if they have the chance. What Wall drove won't be the same.

The extra weight of the iron block Holden behind the grille means, GRM are going to have to find the balance again.
They may as well poach Luff if they have the chance. What Wall drove won't be the same.

Is it an iron block used in those?

Is it an iron block used in those?
As far as I know, when they replaced the Holden 5 litre with the GM Motorsport block, it was also an Iron block.
Unless they've managed to sneak a new Alloy item under the bonnet, I believe I'm correct.
If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know. I'll have been behind the times for over 20 years!

As far as I know, when they replaced the Holden 5 litre with the GM Motorsport block, it was also an Iron block.
Unless they've managed to sneak a new Alloy item under the bonnet, I believe I'm correct.
If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know. I'll have been behind the times for over 20 years!

Same, cause I remember it being an ironblock, but I know most (other than NASCAR) use GM aluminum blocks these days.

Same, cause I remember it being an ironblock, but I know most (other than NASCAR) use GM aluminum blocks these days.
The first alloy block GM V8 was the LS family of engines.
You've only got to turn your attention to the tuning crowd to see what sort of numbers are possible with this engine.
They have their inherent production faults cured by aftermarket parts but, would likely need a thorough rebuild more often.
GM produced an iron version of the LS, called the LSX, specifically for those that have a taste for boost such as, turbo or superchargers.

Where is the Supercars 3.5 V6TT for the mock Holden? I have a feeling they're waiting for RBHRT to make it and whatever they come up with, the rules will follow.

Edit: http://www.supercars.com/news/champ...ns-shane-van-gisbergen-for-pirtek-enduro-cup/
Looks like Shane wanted him
“We've been watching Matt for a while now and have been super impressed by his speed and maturity driving a range of different cars, “said Dane.

“The chance to have such a great young talent driving with us this year was too tempting to pass up. Plus he was Shane’s number one choice to share his Red Bull Holden Racing Team Commodore. We try to give our drivers what they ask for.”
Wonder if Dane waited to see if Matt screwed up at Nissan before snatching him up. I know Todd isn't happy.

Last edited:
The first alloy block GM V8 was the LS family of engines.
You've only got to turn your attention to the tuning crowd to see what sort of numbers are possible with this engine.
They have their inherent production faults cured by aftermarket parts but, would likely need a thorough rebuild more often.
GM produced an iron version of the LS, called the LSX, specifically for those that have a taste for boost such as, turbo or superchargers.

I know all that, I'm well read on the LS and LT series and GM performance. My point was that GM uses the LS series (nascar being the acception and Indy) where the performance derivative is an alloy block. Now NASCAR as far as i knew was the only one that didn't use anything like this and has been using the same kit since the late 70s early 80s just now with EFI.

So I figured that Supercars was also using an alloy block by now, which is why I wanted to see if anyone had some real info on it or not. What the tuning scene doesn't matter because we're talking about GM factory stuff, like Cadillac in PWC and Weathertech, or Corvette racing as another example.

I know all that, I'm well read on the LS and LT series and GM performance. My point was that GM uses the LS series (nascar being the acception and Indy) where the performance derivative is an alloy block. Now NASCAR as far as i knew was the only one that didn't use anything like this and has been using the same kit since the late 70s early 80s just now with EFI.

So I figured that Supercars was also using an alloy block by now, which is why I wanted to see if anyone had some real info on it or not. What the tuning scene doesn't matter because we're talking about GM factory stuff, like Cadillac in PWC and Weathertech, or Corvette racing as another example.
Glad we're on the same page.

@Pete05 & @LMSCorvetteGT2 - Hopefully the LDM website helps;
http://www.ldmotorsport.com.au/season/cars/
IMG_7236.PNG

http://www.motoring.com.au/motorsport-penske-pursues-mustang-105462/
Well, he gotta hurry it up. Clock's ticking.
Roger-Penske-zkfd.jpg

And Supercars team owner confirms gun engineer Lacroix was not ‘poached’ from Triple Eight

Billionaire Supercars team owner Roger Penske has reaffirmed his determination to homologate the Ford Mustang for the category and confirmed the key role former Triple Eight chief engineer Ludo Lacroix would play in such a project.

And in a shock twist, Penske revealed Lacroix was not ‘poached’ from Triple Eight last year, but approached his team, DJR Team Penske, for a job.

Lacroix, who had worked with Triple Eight Race Engineering throughout the team’s highly successful 14-year Australian campaign, was stood down by its autocratic chief Roland Dane when it became apparent the Frenchman was on the move to the team that is expected to emerge as T8’s strongest rival.

Dane at the time labelled Lacroix “duplicitous”. Lacroix started at DJR Penske this week.

“Ludo is coming across, we are excited about that,” Penske told motoring.com.au at the Detroit motor show. “He brings lots of experience and we are going to have to build the best team to be the best. And it’s going to take good people and more commitment.

Back