2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 3,963 comments
I wouldn't mind if Supercars became 2-doors but, even though it's in the rules to allow 2-door cars from next year, I won't be happy if the have to fit a gorgeous coupe body over the current cagework. That'll look like a proper hack job & destroy the lines of something like the Mustang.

Say, I wonder if Dick would have nightmares should they clinch a sponsor that wanted a green livery?

I wouldn't mind if Supercars became 2-doors but, even though it's in the rules to allow 2-door cars from next year, I won't be happy if the have to fit a gorgeous coupe body over the current cagework. That'll look like a proper hack job & destroy the lines of something like the Mustang.

Say, I wonder if Dick would have nightmares should they clinch a sponsor that wanted a green livery?
;)
FB_IMG_1484457517743.jpg

Might not look bad as a Mustang.

The Volvo was a great looking car with the sound to match, but it was only a matter of time. They definitely weren't gonna be able to keep the engines but I held out hope that they would retain the body shape at least. I can see why GRM stopped trying to get it to work. It'll be a tough season for GRM if the car is behind on development.

I think they'll step it up quicker than Erebus.
Not trying to be slick or anything, might not have the issues the #33 had at some past rounds. They build quick cars. It'll come down to the engine, which I don't feel will be wanting for anything.

The blame for this lies squarely at the feet of the Volvo men that made the decision.
Garry & his faithful GRM crew were backed into a corner with this. I'm glad he's called time on what could've been an expensive fight.
Oh well. 6 Falcons and 4 Altimas.

Wonder how a Commodore is going look parked at the Moffat's next gettogether. :sly:
If James cops any heat from Allan about the Commodore, he can always remind him of 1986 & a certain Rothmans livery that had success at Monza against the Worlds best.

Something tells me he'll be ok though.

*sad face*

Felt rather inevitable, but still disappointing. Volvo are what got me into Supercars back at the start of 2014. Wanting to see them race before the (at the time) rumoured 3 years were up was part of the reason I visited Australia for the first time in October 2015. It doesn't feel right, being unhappy about a manufacturer leaving that treated the team representing it so badly, but I'll still miss seeing them on the grid this year.

3 marques in the series. Needs more variety. GRM did fantastic with factory backing. I feel GRM, BJR, DJRTP and Walkinshaw, could topple RBHRT with new maufacturers.

Premium marques don't want to play. Though Alfa is no BMW(maybe equal to Renault), it seems upmarket. I'd go with Alfa, Mazda, Kia, Hyundai, VW/Audi/Skoda, and Toyota, as brands that would fit the series right now. I feel they all would stay in the series for a good while.

Out of the 3 newcomers, Volvo was the only manufacturer that I respected as a contender, they definitely showed a lot of potential to actually win the championship title.

Not to mention they had one of the best looking cars around, the blue livery also looked brilliant on it too.

While I am a Holden fan, I'm a bit ashamed that GRM they didn't go to Ford to at least even the odds but I guess they do have technological history with Holden.

While I am a Holden fan, I'm a bit ashamed that GRM they didn't go to Ford to at least even the odds but I guess they do have technological history with Holden.
Why go to Ford when the manufacturer itself no longer supports it's teams or the series? Holden is obviously the more attractive option, and there is a reason why teams that switch manufacturers go to Holden. Namely, more support, I'm assuming a much cheaper and easier package to run, and in GRM's case, history with the brand in this current era of chassis (COTF).

The next question is, do they stick with Holden for '18 or go somewhere else?
That whole Holden/RB development deal, stinks. I think he goes elsewhere. I know Brad Jones wasn't liking the idea of buying their package.
Whether they go Alfa or Kia, or someone else, GRM have proved they can win.

That whole Holden/RB development deal, stinks. I think he goes elsewhere. I know Brad Jones wasn't liking the idea of buying their package.
Whether they go Alfa or Kia, or someone else, GRM have proved they can win.
GRM won't go anywhere without direct manufacturer support.

Garry might enjoy wearing a dress every once in a while but, his name isn't Betty :sly:

GRM won't go anywhere without direct manufacturer support.

Garry might enjoy wearing a dress every once in a while but, his name isn't Betty :sly:
Ha.

If they switch brands, I expect nothing less than GRM getting factory support.

http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/format-shake-ups-for-key-events/
The ITM Auckland SuperSprint also receives a shake-up, with two 200km races, which will include pit stops in New Zealand. Since returning to Pukekohe in 2013, the Championship has run four 100km sprints, with points combining to award the coveted Jason Richards Memorial Trophy.

The four race sprint format has been retained for the non-championship Australian Grand Prix, this year running four separate 10-minute qualifying sessions to determine grids for four 30-minute races around the Melbourne street circuit.

Format changes last year demonstrated that fans and drivers alike preferred the longer races with stops to introduce strategy and pump up the suspense.

Supercars Chief Executive Officer James Warburton looks forward to kicking off the new season, always determined to improve the spectacle.

“The Supercars Commission is extremely focused on the quality of our racing and continues to make positive improvements to formats,” Warburton told supercars.com.

“These changes combined with our new Dunlop tyres for 2017 will make it another outstanding year of racing for the best Touring Car Championship on the planet.”

Despite running only on the hard tyre compound last year, this time around both Phillip Island and the Auckland races will utilise the newly constructed soft Dunlop tyres. Clipsal and Bathurst will also run the softs, with other rounds upgrading to the new super-soft construction.

This year, at SuperSprint races, teams are only required to change two tyres during the 120km Saturday races, rather than last year’s four.
Simmons Plains and Perth will be interesting on the Super Softs.

Latest Posts

Back