2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 3,963 comments
They're looking at one of LDM's. But they have a bigger issue - a Newcastle base makes no sense, because they have no immediate access to a venue for testing.
The whole idea doesn't make sense to me.
As has been proven for a while now, if you want to run a Supercar team, you do it from Melbourne or Brisbane.

You could probably do it in Western Sydney if you had access to Eastern Creek, but it's not the most practical idea.
I reckon the most difficult thing about not choosing Melbourne or Brisbane is to do with staffing.
Imagine trying to convince a guy to move to Western Sydney or Newcastle. If things go sour, he's on the move again :banghead:
At least if he's Melbourne based, the worst he's gotta do is drive to other side of town.
Hell, even BJR in Albury is only 3.5 hrs up the Hume at a cruise.

Don't get me wrong, I understand their Novacastrian enthusiasm & patriotism but, it's pushing a giant cart of it up a muddy hill before they've even started.
Why start behind the eight ball :odd:

There is just no place to build a racetrack, that's not about to be developed for overpriced housing.

There is a horsetrack in Broadmeadow. Could be made something the size of Tsukuba(would be perfect for me). Problem is, it would never happen as it's residential on all sides.
Could build something in Maitland or Jesmond or Williamtown.

Hope so. The sport needs X games attractions and celebrity races. The 86s are fine but we should be seeing actors and different sports figures in some type of racing.

Last edited:
I know this is stupid to talk about now but when Sandown is demolished for housing, what the heck will replace it on the calendar? Albert Park when the GP is on? The Melbourne Supercar fans would have no-where to go, except Phillip Island, which is too far away for a day trip. At least that's how it is in my case, but there's still 3 more Sandown 500's to go...

when Sandown is demolished for housing, what the heck will replace it on the calendar?
It hasn't been scheduled yet. It probably won't happen until the current contract to hold the race expires.

Albert Park when the GP is on?
No. It's very unlikely that Albert Park would host a regular round of the championship during a Grand Prix, much less a marquee event. Having a race on a different weekend probably isn't an option either, since it would likely attract noise complaints from locals. The quieter engines introduced in 2014 seem to have quelled complaints about the Grand Prix, but I doubt the locals would take kindly to Supercars.

The Melbourne Supercar fans would have no-where to go, except Phillip Island, which is too far away for a day trip.
If they want to keep the race in Victoria, Phillip Island or Winton are the only options. There was an attempt to get a street circuit going in Geelong a few years ago, but that was shot down, and talk of moving the Grand Prix from Albert Park to Avalon Airport at a circuit owned by Lindsay Fox, but it never eventuated.

I know this is stupid to talk about now but when Sandown is demolished for housing, what the heck will replace it on the calendar? Albert Park when the GP is on? The Melbourne Supercar fans would have no-where to go, except Phillip Island, which is too far away for a day trip. At least that's how it is in my case, but there's still 3 more Sandown 500's to go...
The Bend Motorsport Park?

It hasn't been scheduled yet. It probably won't happen until the current contract to hold the race expires.

No. It's very unlikely that Albert Park would host a regular round of the championship during a Grand Prix, much less a marquee event. Having a race on a different weekend probably isn't an option either, since it would likely attract noise complaints from locals. The quieter engines introduced in 2014 seem to have quelled complaints about the Grand Prix, but I doubt the locals would take kindly to Supercars.

If they want to keep the race in Victoria, Phillip Island or Winton are the only options. There was an attempt to get a street circuit going in Geelong a few years ago, but that was shot down, and talk of moving the Grand Prix from Albert Park to Avalon Airport at a circuit owned by Lindsay Fox, but it never eventuated.
The current contract expires in 2019.

The Bend Motorsport Park?
I can't see South Australia getting two marquee events. They already have the Clipsal 500, so a second major event probably won't happen.

My best guess is that Phillip Island will get it again. But things might get shuffled around, with the Gold Coast 600 replacing Sandown and a new endurance event created in New Zealand, either at Hampton Downs or Highlands.

My guess is the state governemnt will probably make a Melbourne Street race, the current deal with Albert Park means they can't score championship points there and the races are significsntly shorter so they will probably look at something else.

My guess is the state governemnt will probably make a Melbourne Street race, the current deal with Albert Park means they can't score championship points there and the races are significsntly shorter so they will probably look at something else.
And it doesn't look like anyone will buy Calder:lol:

the current deal with Albert Park means they can't score championship points there
VESA have been trying to renegotiate that in recent years. There was opposition from FOM, who didn't like the idea of a major domestic series having a championship round and potentially overshadowing the Grand Prix.

the races are significsntly shorter
That's mostly because they have to work around the Grand Prix support programme. The real problem is that the circuit is better-suited to Formula One cars than touring cars, just as Phillip Island is better-suited to motorcycles than touring cars.

Im Surprised Calder hasn't collapsed on it self, the track looked like a gravel road even when it was on the calander nearly 20 years ago.

Hey, I'd definitely welcome the Hampton Downs & Highlands Park ideas. Make it a special NZ Triple for the JR trophy. Newcastle as the last round and done.

Hey, I'd definitely welcome the Hampton Downs & Highlands Park ideas. Make it a special NZ Triple for the JR trophy. Newcastle as the last round and done.
I think it would work better earlier in the year than later. Despite the increasing presence of New Zealand drivers, it's still an Australian championship - after all, the winner is officially the Australian Touring Car Champion. So I don't think VESA would let the title be decided in New Zealand, and more importantly, I think that would potentially overshadow the JR Trophy.

I have to research when it snows in NZ, but winter or right after the AGP, might be a bad time to host. Sometimes it's cold at the AGP and then super hot the next day.

Im Surprised Calder hasn't collapsed on it self, the track looked like a gravel road even when it was on the calander nearly 20 years ago.
I did an AUSCAR course on the Thunderdome in 1991 and the place was like a bumpy road back then.
It was never repaved in the whole time in was in use & it's so overgrown with weeds now it's an expensive hole in the ground.

Since Rodney Jane initiated the coup against his father, the grubby little leech is probably just waiting for the right price to be offered by a housing developer.
The same can possibly be said for Adelaide International Raceway.

Latest Posts

Back