2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 3,963 comments
  • 194,245 views
Here's what I could find from a quick search
View attachment 624670
Amaroo Park enduro 1985
View attachment 624671
Bathurst 1985 class win
View attachment 624672
What happened to them at Bathurst 1987 :indiff:

I can remember these cars well & spoke to the team manager, Tony Niovanni at the time. He said they were seeing 190bhp 👍

As for Mazdas, I'm 100% certain we never had any Group A versions racing here.
In fact, the only Group A Mazdas that I know of are an RX-7 that raced here very briefly (John Bundy?) and, a 929 4-door that made an appearance in the 1986 Spa 24hr.

So not 100%, also I found that there were Mazda's racing in ATCC in 86 and 85
 
Woodstock are only sponsoring them for 5 rounds though, they're yet to find primary sponsorship for the remaining rounds.
 
So not 100%, also I found that there were Mazda's racing in ATCC in 86 and 85
Care to share those Mazdas from 85/86?
I know one will be the John Bundy/Norman Carr RX-7.
IMG_0335.PNG
 
Can't wait to see how she does through the year.
http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/simona-de-silvestro-completes-rookie-test-day/

"De Silvestro completed today's running without engineer Blake Smith, who will look after her #78 Altima throughout the season.

Smith is one of a number of Supercars engineers working at this weekend's Bathurst 12 Hour, bolstering Audi's assault on the race."

What the what?:confused:

I've heard about sharing engineers, but shouldn't he be in the Nissan camp?


Edit:
http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/02/02/details-revealed-pit-hotel-new-sa-circuit/

Edit 2: So much info in the racing world, keeps surfacing. This year will be one of the greatest for us fans.
FB_IMG_1486022528512.jpg
 
Last edited:
Bruce Oaklands effectively confirmed rumours that Matt Chahda will be with LDM stating the Apex News Nz had leaked the info (and that's who they mentioned).

He's backing him at Clipsal but the rest of the year is unknown, as per expectation.
 
Can't wait to see how she does through the year.
http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/simona-de-silvestro-completes-rookie-test-day/

"De Silvestro completed today's running without engineer Blake Smith, who will look after her #78 Altima throughout the season.

Smith is one of a number of Supercars engineers working at this weekend's Bathurst 12 Hour, bolstering Audi's assault on the race."

What the what?:confused:

I've heard about sharing engineers, but shouldn't he be in the Nissan camp?


Edit:
http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/02/02/details-revealed-pit-hotel-new-sa-circuit/

Edit 2: So much info in the racing world, keeps surfacing. This year will be one of the greatest for us fans.
View attachment 624711
Oh I'm sure Simona is thrilled to bits that her engineer isn't anywhere to be seen. :rolleyes:
This tells me where Nissans priorities truly are.
Bruce Oaklands effectively confirmed rumours that Matt Chahda will be with LDM stating the Apex News Nz had leaked the info (and that's who they mentioned).

He's backing him at Clipsal but the rest of the year is unknown, as per expectation.
I'd be very interested to see a bookie's market on the odds of Chahda making it to the final round in Newcastle.
 
That's another tough way to get new manufacturers in the main game. Even if a manufacturer came in(with an approved REC, team manager, engineers and all), who do they get to drive the car?

Some DVS drivers, are contracted to main game teams, from the same marque. How can VW join, if BJR have Audi, GRM have KIA, PRA have Ford and
their DVS drivers can't step up to the main game seats?

Let's say Tander and Moffat finish top 8 the next 3 years. Does Golding continue to wait in line or does he sever ties to hopefully drive somewhere with an open seat?

PRA have drivers that are not leaving that team anytime soon(especially if Cam has good fortune from here on). Jacobson and LeBrocq are stuck(unless DJRTP are making a four car squad).
 
That's another tough way to get new manufacturers in the main game. Even if a manufacturer came in(with an approved REC, team manager, engineers and all), who do they get to drive the car?

Some DVS drivers, are contracted to main game teams, from the same marque. How can VW join, if BJR have Audi, GRM have KIA, PRA have Ford and
their DVS drivers can't step up to the main game seats?

Let's say Tander and Moffat finish top 8 the next 3 years. Does Golding continue to wait in line or does he sever ties to hopefully drive somewhere with an open seat?

PRA have drivers that are not leaving that team anytime soon(especially if Cam has good fortune from here on). Jacobson and LeBrocq are stuck(unless DJRTP are making a four car squad).
This is why I hate the required RECs being limited to 25 :irked:
 
It winds up making the DVS more attractive. They get TV exposure, the cars are up to date, they get to race at the big events, there is less relative money to spend each meeting.

Who knows? Those E63s may have done damn well last year.


Edit: If anyone is going, enjoy
We would love to see all our Melbourne fans next Tuesday 7th February at Docklands. We will have the 2017 Shell V-Power Racing Racing Team Ford on display from 12.30pm - 2.00pm outside Gate 2 at Etihad Stadium. Hope to see you there. #vasc #ShellVPowerRacingTeam
 
Last edited:
I'm thinking black and Panorama Silver, to be honest.
I'm thinking in terms of Burgess saying it stands out. I've seen those colours on their ride car. It ain't flash.

If it's black with Panorama Silver highlights I guess it would be different to the other Holdens in the field. On yhe one hand, Preston Hire usually do black, silver and yellow. WR using the same colours might not be ideal. On the other hand, how WR do graphics(they usually have good designs), I'm sure they'll make a statement.
 
I'll third it. Send one of the DVS Altimas to NISMOFEST. 👍 :cool:

"We're last, but we're stylish"?
In actuality, WR can be seen as (the Tom)Walkinshaw of old.

The brand could mean anything. Jag, Porsche, BMW, Dodge/Chrysler. Sure they'll still do the HSV thing, but I think I'll pay more attention to them now, than when they were HRT.

I'm glad they got dropped. The Jag is my favorite. Hope they do some cool things from today.
 
I fully expect to be underwhelmed - if not outright disappointed - because I think the hype train has gotten out of control. I think Walkinshaw are trying far too hard to compensate for the loss of Holden's factory status.
 
My money is on Unimaginative Black and Inspirationless Silver.
 
Perkins and Luff have been confirmed on Walkinshaw's twitter. Luff to partner Pye and Jack to stick with Courtney.
 
Last edited:
The most interesting races of this V8 era will be the 1000. Which marque wins it? Also the last race of the season. Which marque makes the history books?
 
Back