2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 3,963 comments
caruso_nissan2-640x427.jpg

I like it.
Oh, OK. You won't be forgetting this livery in a hurry. Hopefully it doesn't change every round.

I'm not liking it, in all honesty. It just looks like someone threw some buckets of paint at either end and called it a day. There's just too much red at the front, and a really weird shade of it too.

Also looking forward to the wildcards at regular rounds
The cynic in me wonders if it is really just a way of bolstering grid numbers. VESA have struggled to offload the two RECs that they have been holding for a few years now, and I suspect they've given up on finding buyers. I can't help but notice that the four rounds open to wildcard entries are the four most "normal" circuits on the calendar (although Eastern Creek would also qualify). I'm guessing that as much as they're open to boosting the grid, they don't want wildcard drivers causing chaos at events like the Clipsal 500.

Caruso's livery is the best, the DJR Penske. From then on, it's not so much a case of which livery is best, but which liveries I hate the least.

The cynic in me wonders if it is really just a way of bolstering grid numbers. VESA have struggled to offload the two RECs that they have been holding for a few years now, and I suspect they've given up on finding buyers. I can't help but notice that the four rounds open to wildcard entries are the four most "normal" circuits on the calendar (although Eastern Creek would also qualify). I'm guessing that as much as they're open to boosting the grid, they don't want wildcard drivers causing chaos at events like the Clipsal 500.
Just wonder what the capacity would be at those circuits. There may be 5 entries at Bathurst and 4 at a couple rounds.

Caruso's livery is the best, the DJR Penske. From then on, it's not so much a case of which livery is best, but which liveries I hate the least.

What makes a good livery for you personally? I think Caruso's looks stunning, as does De Silvestro. DJRTP both look great with the added red as well, makes it look stronger.

Just wonder what the capacity would be at those circuits. There may be 5 entries at Bathurst and 4 at a couple rounds.
I'm pretty sure that it would be a maximum of thirty-two. The series experimented with thirty-two car grids about a decade ago with no problems. Barbagallo might be a bit different since the pit lane was added a few years ago, but the old pit lane is still there.

What makes a good livery for you personally?
It's hard to quantify, but it has to have an X factor - to really capture my attention and imagination from the moment I see it. It has to be a livery that I'd want on my car if I was a racing (or, more likely, rally) driver.

I'm not expecting much - probably the same as the livery he ran last year. Like Le Brocq's livery before someone threw up on it.

Caravan Sales. What kind of people buy caravans? Old people. Who are the only people who get up at 6am? Old people. They're just catering towards their market.

Not a bad question. Made me want to have a look for the biggest grids we've had on the current tracks.

Adelaide: 40 (1999, 2000, 2001)
Symmons Plains: 32 (2004, 2005)
Phillip Island: 48 (1977), 39 (1990). V8 era: 37 (1999)
Barbagallo: 32 (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005)
Winton: 38 (1998)
Hidden Valley: 36 (2002)
Townsville: 29 (2009, 2010)
Queensland Raceway: 42 (1999)
Eastern Creek: 40 (1999)
Sandown: 63 (1977). V8 era: 36 (1999)
Bathurst: V8 era: 55 (1999, 2000)
Surfers Paradise: 32 (2002, 2004)
Pukekohe: 32 (2002, 2004, 2005)

1999 was a big year, with the series riding the wave of popularity due to the whole "V8 Supercars" name introduced in 1997. This was also the last year without a 2nd tier development series. Grids were even past capacity at some races, with more entries than grid spots at Eastern Creek, Sandown, QR, Calder, Winton and Oran Park that year.

Oran Park being the most notable with 47 cars turning up for a capacity 32 car field.

The series wanted to move away from the short races of the time (prior to 1999, nearly all the races were 20 minute sprints with no pitstops) and into a longer format that I guess would have been seen as more "professional". Longer races became more common, with the peak being 2003 with 5 300km races run through the year and only 22 races spread across 13 rounds (the series had hovered at around 30 races a year since 1996).

I've always liked the long races better and would honestly prefer the series to look into running single race weekends again.

As for the point of this post, I'm too tired to remember, other than I'd like to say that longer races and more cars* on the grid can only be a good thing!

*(as long as the cars meet a minimum standard. Hello Dick Johnson vs Neil Schembri, Lakeside 1994).

Todd will reveal his livery @6am tomorrow.
I think Rick will be doing the same, he posted a teaser yesterday.

Edit:

Rick-Kelly-2017-livery-901x600.png

And it looks like Rick will be sporting a beard this year which is.........scary. :lol:

Last edited:
They actually blended it in on Frosty's this year, must've run out of time at Nissan and just used his old sticker.

I guess they're not launching Todd's livery today after all.

Who else do we have left? Todd, of course, but also Mostert, Waters, Rullo and whoever fills the second LDM seat (I'm not expecting anything but a blank livery there).

I guess they're not launching Todd's livery today after all.

Who else do we have left? Todd, of course, but also Mostert, Waters, Rullo and whoever fills the second LDM seat (I'm not expecting anything but a blank livery there).
Yeah, apologies for the misinformation on Todd. Read it wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised to see another tropical-like downfall at Clipsal next week. We've had some weird weather ever since that storm during Race 1 last year.

Hopefully we can go 4 days without a blackout too! :lol:

Back