2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 3,963 comments
  • 194,165 views
Can't remember how long that deal is for. We've seen how HRT got SP Tools(they jumped ship from Erebus) and how Red Bull got Whincup out of his Monster deal. Waters is young so, he could be more viable in that long run.
A vet like Courtney, still races hard at the front though. Plus, Pye is at Walkjnshaw now. Who knows until liveries start popping up.

It seems like any other energy drink deal, sponsor a team while sponsoring personal drivers too. I think the deal is with PRA car wise, and a smaller deal with WR specifically Courtney.
 
It seems like any other energy drink deal, sponsor a team while sponsoring personal drivers too. I think the deal is with PRA car wise, and a smaller deal with WR specifically Courtney.
Yes, Rick Kelly, Ambrose, a few other had Red Bull sponsorship.
What I'm bringing up is, Monster could jump ship to Walkinshaw. More than the 4 stickers already on their cars.

When Whincup still had the contract with Monster, Red Bull were coming in. Monster weren't happy with Whincup wanting to switch before end of contract. He won like 3 championships already.

Courtney was with Monster before Waters joined the main game. I'm only saying it's possble for a switch at the last minute. We've seen things like that happen in this series.

Waters is just getting started. As a long term investment, cool. Right now, Holdens are the cars to beat, they are seen on screen more than Fords. With Walkinshaws two car line up, looks more promising to see it up the front more than the one PRA car.
 
An this is why we have Super Utes
Top five selling cars in 2016:

Toyota HiLux: 42,104

Toyota Corolla: 40,330

Hyundai i30: 37,772

Ford Ranger: 36,934

Mazda3: 36,107

Source: FCAI

Our changing taste in cars:

1960 to 1981 — Holden sedan (various models)

1982 to 1988 — Ford Falcon

1989 to 1991 — Holden Commodore

1991 to 1995 — Ford Falcon

1996 to 2010 — Holden Commodore

2011 to 2012 — Mazda3

2013 to 2015 — Toyota Corolla

2016 — Toyota HiLux

The race for number one in 2016: the year-to-date leaders
January to March — Mazda3

April and May — Toyota HiLux

June and July — Hyundai i30

August — Toyota HiLux

September — Toyota Corolla

October to December — Toyota HiLux
Maybe Supercars should adopt Corolla, i30 & Mazda3 shapes. It's what the people drive.
 
Monster could step it up and I think SP Tools are still there.

Don't forget about Mobil. They're still there as well. We could see an increased presence from Mobil on the cars with maybe the same amount of Monster backing, like they had last year?
 
Yes, Rick Kelly, Ambrose, a few other had Red Bull sponsorship.
What I'm bringing up is, Monster could jump ship to Walkinshaw. More than the 4 stickers already on their cars.

When Whincup still had the contract with Monster, Red Bull were coming in. Monster weren't happy with Whincup wanting to switch before end of contract. He won like 3 championships already.

Courtney was with Monster before Waters joined the main game. I'm only saying it's possble for a switch at the last minute. We've seen things like that happen in this series.

Waters is just getting started. As a long term investment, cool. Right now, Holdens are the cars to beat, they are seen on screen more than Fords. With Walkinshaws two car line up, looks more promising to see it up the front more than the one PRA car.

I don't see it, cause like I said Monster is pretty similar to RB in how they do deals it seems. I just don't think they have nearly as much money to throw around to do the same exposure as red bull.
 
Don't forget about Mobil. They're still there as well. We could see an increased presence from Mobil on the cars with maybe the same amount of Monster backing, like they had last year?
Speaking of which, wouldn't it be great if we saw a paint job like this one:
IMG_4505.JPG

IMG_4506.JPG
 
Last edited:
Don't forget about Mobil. They're still there as well. We could see an increased presence from Mobil on the cars with maybe the same amount of Monster backing, like they had last year?
Certainly could remain as is.
They do have the funds to sponsor two cars though. Monster is having a good run on Ford products globally. Why they didn't primary sponsor the #1 Winterbottom ride? Dunno.

I'd go for a Mobil livery. Then, we can finally get some white wheels on the grid. ;)
 
An this is why we have Super Utes

Maybe Supercars should adopt Corolla, i30 & Mazda3 shapes. It's what the people drive.
I hope the Corolla, i30 & Mazda 3 remark was tongue-in-cheek?
If they wanted to adopt those type of cars, they may as well get onboard with the that new buzz box category TC2 or whatever it's called.
At least then we'd have a global category that we could go race overseas or invite top teams to compete at Bathurst.
Oh wait, Supercars can't handle the idea of a grid numbering 30 or more :rolleyes:
Speaking of which, wouldn't it be great if we saw a paint job like this one:
View attachment 618273
View attachment 618274
Considering Mobil sold all their servos to 7Eleven, we won't be seeing them step up to the plate as a primary sponsor anytime soon. What would they be promoting?

On another note, whoever did the restoration on Brock's VN needs to have another look at the headlights. Originally they were white and, you could make out the NGK Spark Plugs stickers.
 
That Corolla, i30 and Mazda 3 would be great for a new series using Super Touring rules. ;)
 
On the Walkinshaw livery topic, on another forum I had read two things about Mobil 1 possibly stepping their presence on the car, and the other being that the car will be largely red due to the sponsor. They were alluding to McDonalds, but I'm not sold on it entirely.
 
On the Walkinshaw livery topic, on another forum I had read two things about Mobil 1 possibly stepping their presence on the car, and the other being that the car will be largely red due to the sponsor. They were alluding to McDonalds, but I'm not sold on it entirely.
Thinking back to mostly red Commodores...
IMG_0242.PNG


Yes, it's the wrong car but, imagine if...

IMG_0241.PNG
 
That Corolla, i30 and Mazda 3 would be great for a new series using Super Touring rules. ;)
That's what I was hoping MARC V8s would have been here. Maybe with so many(9) running in the 12H, who knows?
On the Walkinshaw livery topic, on another forum I had read two things about Mobil 1 possibly stepping their presence on the car, and the other being that the car will be largely red due to the sponsor. They were alluding to McDonalds, but I'm not sold on it entirely.
That would be big.

Thinking back to mostly red Commodores...
View attachment 618340

Yes, it's the wrong car but, imagine if...

View attachment 618341
It was definitely a cheeky remark. Yet, as per my post on MARC V8s, would also make sense in Shannon's Production car series.

When Betty had Coca-Cola sponsorship for a minute, I was hoping that livery would come to fruition.
 
That's what I was hoping MARC V8s would have been here. Maybe with so many(9) running in the 12H, who knows?

That would be big.


It was definitely a cheeky remark. Yet, as per my post on MARC V8s, would also make sense in Shannon's Production car series.

When Betty had Coca-Cola sponsorship for a minute, I was hoping that livery would come to fruition.
Mate I have to confess the MARC cars just don't do it for me.
Whatever it is people find appealing about them, I'm just not feeling it.
 
Mate I have to confess the MARC cars just don't do it for me.
Whatever it is people find appealing about them, I'm just not feeling it.
I think about the opportunity to get more manufacturers racing. So far, TCR is a good formula for sedans and hatches. I'd like to see a commitment from Mazda(who enjoy motorsports), Hyundai(who are serious), Toyota, Lexus, Infiniti, etc.

MARC V8s actually look like a better package than Supercars, in terms of cost($150,000?), branding, BoP. I looked at how the GTC South African series is going. They have 2.0T Audi, BMW and Jetta. Add the Mazda3, Focus and a few other manufacturers, I can see it as a good series with V8s & 4 cylinder engines over here.
 
That Corolla, i30 and Mazda 3 would be great for a new series using Super Touring rules. ;)

So much this.

950702_022.jpg

P8262074.jpg


I'd probably watch the support series more than the actual Supercars series, mind. :p
 
Aren't the MARC cars eligible for the Kumho V8 Touring Car Series? I seem to recall hearing that somewhere.


Edit: http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/12/04/marc-v8s-join-kumho-series-2015/

I'm not sure if the plans were ever finalised. Maybe not, since a few of them now run in the Australian GT Trophy series.
Seems like Shannon's didn't want to make a separate series and that seems to have messed things up.

I'd rather it support Supercars as a points paying series.

Edit: All I see is the MARC V8s in AGT as its own class.
https://australiangt.com.au/austral...ophy-series-titles-to-be-decided-this-weekend
Guess I'll refer any further MARC car stuff to the Touring car thread.
 
Last edited:
I absolutely love the MARC cars, and would love to see them in more bodystyles, tbh.
2015_B12Hr_Sun_SS1_7052.jpg


The VW that races in SA is absolutely gorgeous, just a shame they took the V8's out of them for Sasol GTC.
Mathew-Hodges-1.png
 
That is so horrible yet I love it.
 
On the Walkinshaw livery topic, on another forum I had read two things about Mobil 1 possibly stepping their presence on the car, and the other being that the car will be largely red due to the sponsor. They were alluding to McDonalds, but I'm not sold on it entirely.

We both read the same other forum, it seems. :lol: That's where I saw the Mobil talk. Didn't see the McDonalds thing though.
 
We both read the same other forum, it seems. :lol: That's where I saw the Mobil talk. Didn't see the McDonalds thing though.
Would that 'other forum' be a category specific one? ;)
 
Would that 'other forum' be a category specific one? ;)

I rarely venture outside of their V8 section but they do cover other categories. The name of the place does start with "V8" though, if that's what you mean. :lol:
 
Last edited:
I hope the Corolla, i30 & Mazda 3 remark was tongue-in-cheek?
If they wanted to adopt those type of cars, they may as well get onboard with the that new buzz box category TC2 or whatever it's called.
At least then we'd have a global category that we could go race overseas or invite top teams to compete at Bathurst.
Oh wait, Supercars can't handle the idea of a grid numbering 30 or more :rolleyes:

Considering Mobil sold all their servos to 7Eleven, we won't be seeing them step up to the plate as a primary sponsor anytime soon. What would they be promoting?

On another note, whoever did the restoration on Brock's VN needs to have another look at the headlights. Originally they were white and, you could make out the NGK Spark Plugs stickers.
They didn't sell heir Servos to 7 Eleven they gave them the rights to it in Australia, and every 7 Eleven servo has the Mobil logo on the Main sign so everyone knows where they get it from.

It's the same deal as the Coles Shell and Woolies Caltex. Still worth Promoting I would say.
 
Walkinshaw still have a deal with Holden as HSV. Maybe they keep the red for HSV branding and are known as HSV Walkinshaw Racing. All those fans with red, black & white gear, mightn't be too happy if the colours change.
 
Something like this, maybe? (albeit with more sponsors)

Obviously, it depends on what sponsorship they've got lined up.
 
Back