2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 3,963 comments
But it's got a much slower average speed.
I thought you might have referenced a VESA code for international races. That could be a positive. May make for some interesting racing.
awesome circuit

Yes, I know.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it was a Bernie thing but, wasn't the reason Supercars weren't allowed to use pitlane in the past, because they didn't want Supercars poping & farting past the F1 garages?
I've always suspected besides the noise pollution, the F1 boys would have to pull whatever (front wings, engine covers etc..) back into their garages.
That was mainly due to scheduling. The time it would take V8s to pack up and have f1 run their show.

If they went to Singapore, it would have to be on a shortened circuit.

Why is that? It's(5.067km) basically the same length as Albert Park(5.03km).

But it's got a much slower average speed.

Would it be simple enough for them to turn left at turn 8, rejoining at turn 14 effectively?

May need a little redesign to account for turn, but it might be possible...

wasn't the reason Supercars weren't allowed to use pitlane in the past, because they didn't want Supercars poping & farting past the F1 garages?
First I've heard of it.

the F1 boys would have to pull whatever (front wings, engine covers etc..) back into their garages.
They already do that for F2 and GP3. Besides, they have enough room to keep that stuff indoors during the Grand Prix anyway.

I thought you might have referenced a VESA code for international races.
There's a rule that says a circuit should not be longer than 3.5km, but there are obvious exceptions - Bathurst for one, and now Albert Park. VESA have always felt that 3.5km is a good upper limit to promote close-quarters racing; any longer and the pack starts to thin out. You wind up with cars able to pit and rejoin close to their initial position.

May make for some interesting racing.
I imagine that they would turn left off Esplanade Drive, go past the War Memorial, and then turn left where the Formula 1 cars turn right and rejoin at the waterfront. Although the circuit as a whole would be considerably better if the cars went around the War Memorial and cut out some of the waterfront chicanes.

Holy frijoles!
http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/05/31/bend-motorsport-park-tipped-august-supercars-2018-slot/
Bend-Motorsport-Park-640x414.png

How many events can we have? Its like 14 currently then with AGP, The Bend and the Asian round or rounds will they let all of those happen?

It's great to see another South Australian event on the horizon, but August is probably the worst time of year as far as weather goes. I can't imagine too many people will be keen to travel for over an hour to stand around in 15 degrees (inb4 someone tells me that's not cold) while being pelted by sideways rain.

How many events can we have? Its like 14 currently then with AGP, The Bend and the Asian round or rounds will they let all of those happen?
Warburton is saying 16 is right. If he's trying to get two races in Asia, I don't know what the limit is then.

It's great to see another South Australian event on the horizon, but August is probably the worst time of year as far as weather goes. I can't imagine too many people will be keen to travel for over an hour to stand around in 15 degrees (inb4 someone tells me that's not cold) while being pelted by sideways rain.
They have to space it far enough away from Clipsal for it to work properly.
Warburton is saying 16 is right. If he's trying to get two races in Asia, I don't know what the limit is then.
Ask Warbutton again when there's people lining up with bags of money & it'll be a bigger number ;)

The gap between Gold Coast and NZ would fit nicely I reckon. Could almost add it was a fourth leg to the Enduro Cup if they were that way inclined.

They have to space it far enough away from Clipsal for it to work properly.

Ask Warbutton again when there's people lining up with bags of money & it'll be a bigger number ;)
I can see the series having weekly races bar the FlyAway's.

Is that confirmed to happen now?

That sucks. Just like Oran Park and others before it, all that history gone.
I haven't heard anything official but in all reality, it'll only take a developer to wave the right number under the noses of the VRC Board & it'll be a done deal.

Right good to know

once Sandown turns into some townhouses.
They need to leave the tracks alone and go and build houses in the middle of the damn outback if they're that desperate! Should put the people who even think about destroying these great tracks in those houses far away from everyone else!

Yeah, I understand that. September might work once Sandown turns into some townhouses.

That's my local track - 15 minute cruise away
:(

Is that confirmed to happen now?

That sucks. Just like Oran Park and others before it, all that history gone.
Yes, Sandown is going to die. The contract for the 500 lasts until 2019 and after that, the VRC will sell the joint. There is no doubt about it because it's prime real estate. Real shame for the Melbourne fans.

Due to the fact that Sandown will no longer exist in a couple of years, the V8 races at Albert Park will have to be great in order to satisfy the Melbourne fans. Like myself. Honestly, having a championship round at Albert Park is a massive win because the racing won't be as boring.

I'm watching race 1 @albert Park. The only thing missing are pit stops. There is plenty racing mid-pack. The front would rely more on strategy to see who blinks first.
Do they do fuel and tyres or just tyres next year? If they only do tyres, teams will need to pull off some DTM type stops, instead of the one man numbers they do now.

There are also Wednesday night drags and skids at SMP. They have also tried night time track pulls, for run what you brung. Its good to get all car lovers to the track. This is another way to get more people there.

Back