2017 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 3,963 comments
Good plan but I reckon chuck a race at Hamptons or Highlands to make 2 NZ rounds would be pretty nice. Probs won't happen though
17 rounds are allowed by team agreement. 2 rounds in NZ could happen, but 1) Warburton heart Asia, 2) How much would Tony Quinn charge to stick it to VASC?

The SMP round should be dropped and convert to a free Super Test weekend(including codrivers).

And what guarantee is there that a second New Zealand round could survive? It would have to be run back-to-back with Pukekohe, so there's a real threat that one round would draw crowds away from the other.

Fair point. Similar to Suzuka and Fuji, I guess.
If it could work, then it would be great. The real advantage is that New Zealand has two islands, so it would be more practical to have one event on the North Island and another in the South.

Sucks that it hasn't played out like this, over all these years.

I just realised, it's been about 20 years I've been watching V8s. I know some of you in this forum, have watched it longer, but the years go so fast.

Quote from the link
Under the existing teams' agreement, the calendar is limited to a maximum of 17 events, meaning that low-attendance local tracks like Victoria's Winton and Phillip Island, and Queensland Raceway will be at risk.

The Sydney Motorsport Park round may drop out of the championship to trial a new Big Bash League-style exhibition night racing event planned for next year.

Supercars would have to negotiate a new deal with the teams to accommodate all the potential overseas and local interest while retaining existing events.

The V8 teams are keen to race in Singapore because in addition to the financial windfall of a multimillion-dollar sanctioning fee, racing alongside F1 at the island city-state would appeal to sponsors with interests in the region.

Supercars chief executive James Warburton confirmed that there was serious interest in putting the V8s on the Singapore GP support race program.

"Yeah, love to be there," he told Fairfax Media. "We've had some discussions, but it's a long way from fruition."

Bringing Supercars to the Singapore GP is supported by F1's new rights holder Liberty Media, which backed the long-awaited upgrade of the V8 support races at the Australian GP to championship status from next year.

"They've made it very clear they looking for more entertainment to add to their grands prix," said Warburton, who added that the multimillion-dollar cost of flying the Supercars contingent to Singapore was an issue.

"Supercars is a big-ticket item and it's a lot of money for any promoter. So it's also a securing that. But I think all our teams are keen. It's a brilliant event. I don't think there'd be any resistance."

Next year's Singapore GP, which is subject to a renewed deal, is scheduled for September 14-16, the same weekend as the Sandown 500, which is the traditional warm-up endurance race for the Bathurst 1000.

Supercars would be willing to move the 500 forward to early September to accommodate the trip to the Singapore GP.

"For the right opportunity like Singapore, you'd move it," Warburton said. "It's not impossible to move."

Adding to Supercars willingness to move away from the Sandown 500's traditional dates is the fact that the suburban track's future beyond 2019 is in doubt, with persistent speculation that the Melbourne Racing Club plans to sell the combined horse and motor racing site.

If it happens, the Supercars would contest a series of sprint races on Singapore's Marina Bay street circuit as warm-ups for F1s.

Supercars is also talking with Kuala Lumpur's Sepang circuit, which is hosting the final Malaysian GP this October after ending its F1 contract a year early because of declining crowds.

Warburton also confirmed that hopes to revive a planned government-backed street race event in downtown KL have been abandoned because it is still embroiled in a legal dispute over organising rights. "After two years in court, it's dead," he said.

There have also been approaches from a group proposing a street circuit event in the Thai coastal resort of Hua Hin and the existing permanent circuit at Sentul in Indonesia, which is awaiting an upgrade to host international events like MotoGP and Supercars.

The last time Supercars raced outside Australasia was a one-off appearance at the Circuit Of The Americas F1 track near Austin, Texas, 2013. Since then, the only foreign event has been the annual trip to Pukekohe Raceway, outside Auckland.

Quote from the link
I don't think 5 events in Asia will work cause as you pointed out 17 is the limit. So Warburton will probably be pushing the teams to change to more. Crowds won't turn out. Asia has failed in the past so why do we need to keep trying.

I don't think 5 events in Asia will work cause as you pointed out 17 is the limit. So Warburton will probably be pushing the teams to change to more. Crowds won't turn out. Asia has failed in the past so why do we need to keep trying.
F1 couldn't bring them out either. They keep dismissing Japan, but we'll see.

Only three full time engineers is a bit concerning. No wonder they've been struggling with development,

I feel like there'll always be haters of the V6, but I like it. Sounds good, not nearly as bad as people were scared of.

Definitely not as drastic as F1 2013 to 2014. I didn't have to wear headphones. Me and the wife, held a conversation at the AGP in '14.

Sounds good but there will still be 50yr old bogans who won't be able to change from the V8.
Hey, I resemble that remark :P:D

Not bad, needs two things though. Larger circuit to really wring it out and track side camera view.
Yeah I agree, not too bad but I'd like to hear it properly before passing judgement.

Side note: Just to play devil's advocate, shouldn't the bonnet vents be illegal as they don't appear on the Insignia/Commodore (unless they make a sports model with them)?

I feel like there'll always be haters of the V6, but I like it. Sounds good, not nearly as bad as people were scared of.

Cause those haters are old people who still cling to the "road warrior" mentality down there it seems, of V8 is everything. It's not, it's great but there are equally many other things as great.

No where really for him to go
Davison could be out. Maybe he gets a year by year contract. RD could persuade Webb and let Campbell know there is a seat for 2019 If he wants to go for Supercars.
- top team
- brand new car
- champion drivers for support

Back