Does football need video referees?

• Yes - VAR is a success

• Yes - The principle is needed but VAR has been badly handled

• No - VAR was horrible and should not be continued

• No - Mistakes are part of football

• Undecided

• Other (please state)

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Premier League winter break to start in February 2019. While league cup extra time is scrapped and VAR is used at Premier League grounds (in the EFL cup).
February? I wouldn't really call that mid season. Surely that like game week 26/27ish?

Does this affect the deal NBC has here in America or is it strictly for the UK? I have Amazon Prime so it's no big deal if it does but I was just curious.
I don't know how it might affect NBC, though I'd imagine that Amazon's exclusive rights to their EPL games would apply worldwide? (or at least internet-wide)

February? I wouldn't really call that mid season. Surely that like game week 26/27ish?
This is one reason why there is no "Winter Break" in Scotland, because winter in Scotland is approximately 6 months long.

Unpopular opinion?

Football should run on a calendar year as it does in a couple of leagues.

Roma have been busy. They have signed Ivan Marcano on a free from FC Porto and have announced a loan to buy deal with Bryan Cristante from Atalanta. They are also rumored to have signed Justin Kluivert from Ajax. The last two players were targets of Manchester United.

Unpopular opinion?

Football should run on a calendar year as it does in a couple of leagues.
Totally unworkable in Scotland - how are our top players meant to compete in World Cups and Euro tournaments mid-season? Also, playing football all summer in Scotland would lead to an unacceptable rise in shirtlessness among Scottish football fans, and nobody wants to see that.

On the plus side, I guess it would mean moving World Cups etc. into the UK winter thus making super locations like Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the rest of the Middle East more amenable to hosting big tournaments 👍 👍

Totally unworkable in Scotland - how are our top players meant to compete in World Cups and Euro tournaments mid-season? Also, playing football all summer in Scotland would lead to an unacceptable rise in shirtlessness among Scottish football fans, and nobody wants to see that.

On the plus side, I guess it would mean moving World Cups etc. into the UK winter thus making super locations like Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the rest of the Middle East more amenable to hosting big tournaments 👍 👍

The fact that football is played in winter already means that continuing to host them in European countries wouldn't really be a problem, the chances of cancelled games is rare and it would happen only once every second or fourth winter, but it certainly makes locations like Australia, Morocco, Mexico and the United States more amenable (Brasil and South Africa probably won't be considered for the next 15 years) as well as the countries you mentioned that FIFA are desperate to have qualify.

Given that over the same amount of time of one month that there are more league games than there are games at a World Cup it seems logical to have the league played throughout the summer where games are far less likely to be cancelled.

And plus then there is no argument about who was the best player "this year". This year would be this year. I hate when someone is quoted as having scored say... 50 goals "in a calendar year". Meaningless. That's a part of two different domestic campaigns.

Does this affect the deal NBC has here in America or is it strictly for the UK? I have Amazon Prime so it's no big deal if it does but I was just curious.

Uk only, international rights are separate and have not been negotiated yet.

The only reason it doesn't is because the people who played football in the winter played cricket in the summer. Most English football clubs of a certain age were also cricket clubs.

My own club was formed because Denbighshire CC players needed something to do in the winter months.

It's a 130 year old anachronism which ought to be corrected.

Kenny Dalglish to get a knighthood in the Queens Birthday honours.

Jermain Defoe is to get an OBE too.

Both well deserved. 👍

Chris Coleman has been appointed manager of CSL team Hebei China Fortune, Manuel Pellegrini was the previous manager before he joined West Ham.

Lopetegui signed a new contract with Spain literally three weeks ago.

NYCFC manager Patrick Viera leaves the team mid-season to join Nice for Ligue 1 next season. The team appoint Domenec Torrent, an assistant to Guardiola at sister club Man City, as the replacement.

Did this quend accept the Real Madrid job without telling the Spanish FA?!

🤬. That's my pub sweepstake ruined...

World Cup 2026 has been awarded to USA-Mexico-Canada

The 'United' Bid beat Morocco in the final vote - at least Donald Trump will no longer be POTUS by then!

The final result:
United Bid - 134 votes
Morocco Bid - 65 votes

Former Bolton Player Fernando Hierro (remember it happened) to take over as Spain Coach for the world cup.

Tottenham have asked the Premier League if they can play their first League game at Wembley, the new stadium is really taking shape but they clearly don't feel it'll be ready for the start of the season.

Paris Saint-Germain must sell €60 million worth of players by the end of June to comply with FFP

:lol:

This puts purchasing clubs at an advantage; they can lowball PSG knowing that they have to sell.

"You are desperate to buy, we are desperate to sell."
"Desperate, ay? Advantage: Burns."

Then again, I'm sure the fine they get for failing to meet FFP will be both inconsequential in amount and perverse to the charge given that you punish clubs for losing money by making them lose more money.

Paris Saint-Germain must sell €60 million worth of players by the end of June to comply with FFP

:lol:

This puts purchasing clubs at an advantage; they can lowball PSG knowing that they have to sell.

"You are desperate to buy, we are desperate to sell."
"Desperate, ay? Advantage: Burns."

Then again, I'm sure the fine they get for failing to meet FFP will be both inconsequential in amount and perverse to the charge given that you punish clubs for losing money by making them lose more money.
With the rumours of a 300 million offer from Madrid for Neymar that only leaves them with a few pennies to spend.

New fixtures for upcoming Premier League fixture can be seen here

The opening weekend in full

Arsenal v Manchester City
Bournemouth v Cardiff City
Fulham v Crystal Palace
Huddersfield Town v Chelsea
Liverpool v West Ham United
Manchester United v Leicester City
Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur
Southampton v Burnley
Watford v Brighton
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Everton