2018 Formula 1 launchesFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 294 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Here is your 1-stop-shop to discuss the new cars fort he 2018 season as they are launched.

All 10 teams will be releasing images of their cars withing the next few weeks before testing starts, or launching the cars properly.

Launch Schedule
Haas VF-18 (Ferrari) February 14 Online
Williams FW41 (Mercedes) February 15 London, UK
Red Bull RB14 (TAG Heuer) February 19 TBC
Sauber C37 (Ferrari) February 20 Online
Renault R.S.18 (Renault) February 20 Online
Ferrari SF17H (Ferrari) February 22 Online
Mercedes W09 (Mercedes) February 22 Silverstone, UK
McLaren MCL33 (Renault) February 23 TBC
Toro Rosso STR13 (Honda) February 26 Barcelona, Spain

The cars
f1-mercedes-amg-f1-w09-launch-2018-lewis-hamilton-mercedes-amg-f1-w09.jpg

f1-mercedes-amg-f1-w09-launch-2018-valtteri-bottas-mercedes-amg-f1-w09.jpg
f1-ferrari-sf71h-launch-2018-ferrari-sf71h.jpg

f1-ferrari-sf71h-launch-2018-ferrari-sf71h.jpg
DWYsTfGX0AALYgt.jpg:large
f1-red-bull-racing-rb14-launch-2018-red-bull-racing-rb14-7542540.jpg
TBA
f1-williams-fw41-launch-2018-williams-fw41-7507971.jpg

f1-williams-fw41-launch-2018-williams-fw41-7509002.jpg
11e2ca17d70cb7a97df651aa740ec142-4

00af8fcbe358a40a91794e796ef67c16-4
f1-toro-rosso-str13-unveil-2018-brendon-hartley-toro-rosso-str13-7577896.jpg
f1-haas-f1-livery-unveil-2018-haas-f1-team-2018-livery-7498840.jpg

f1-haas-f1-livery-unveil-2018-haas-f1-team-2018-livery.jpg
TBA
f1-sauber-c37-launch-2018-sauber-c37-7555556.jpg

Last edited:
I like the livery on the Haas. I know nearly everyone's going to be complaining about the halo, as will I. I don't like the look of it and I'm actually wondering whether I'll get used to it. If they adopted the screen from IndyCar then it'd look so much better.

The halo vs screen thing often overlooks one thing. Screen is designed to deflect small objects, screws, small debris, while halo is designed for big objects and collisions, so Indy is going for different goals than F1, hence I think we shouldn’t compare F1 and Indy here

So I guess the shark fin isn't totally going away like some of us thought...? (Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing)

So I guess the shark fin isn't totally going away like some of us thought...? (Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing)
Weren't the teams worried about how best to display the new larger numbers on the side of the cars without a full sharkfin (as well as trying to get more sponsor space on the car)? Maybe this is the compromise? I quite like the new livery on the Haas.

Sorry but that is a truly awful looking racing car!

The nasty stub nose, the "Gillette Mach 6" front wing, the random little fin on the front nose cone, the "fake eyelash" barge boards, the awkward looking fin, the mind numbing paint job and of course the aesthetically insulting halo all add up to what must be for my money one of the ugliest F1 cars ever.

The best bits if I had to pick something are the SF-70 inspired sidepods. That's about it.

Big improvement for Hass, but it does look pretty long. I wonder if they followed Merc from last year and went with a long wheelbase? I think the rumours where that a lot of the teams would go to a longer wheel base rather than the shorter style Ferrari went with

Weren't the teams worried about how best to display the new larger numbers on the side of the cars without a full sharkfin (as well as trying to get more sponsor space on the car)? Maybe this is the compromise? I quite like the new livery on the Haas.

Well, they could put the numbers on the rear wing endplates, but what do I know?... :D Glad they got rid of the coat hangers, at least.

I will say, it's a bit sad that they went with a render. I'd have rather seen an actual car. I do like the Haas naming system though, reminds me of Navy fighter squadrons.

I like it. Very purposeful. I wonder if those delicate looking wings on the sidepods won't fall afoul of some safety regulation, but they look VERY interesting. Seems like turning vanes to clean up the turbulent air coming off the front wing and tires. Can't say much about the rear. They rendered it very dark... likely on purpose.

The halo... eh... getting used to it. It has its charms. Like the windscreen on a WWI fighter plane.

Also, egads is that a long car. Sort of suggests what the new Ferrari is going to look like.

I like it. Very purposeful. I wonder if those delicate looking wings on the sidepods won't fall afoul of some safety regulation, but they look VERY interesting. Seems like turning vanes to clean up the turbulent air coming off the front wing and tires. Can't say much about the rear. They rendered it very dark... likely on purpose.

The halo... eh... getting used to it. It has its charms. Like the windscreen on a WWI fighter plane.

Also, egads is that a long car. Sort of suggests what the new Ferrari is going to look like.

Those vanes are very prominent indeed. Echoing your nostalgic simile, they remind me of those vanes behind the front wheels of some F1 cars of the fifties, which were said to have made them more stable.

upload_2018-2-14_18-33-37.jpeg

I like the way the car looks. Very clean without the Shark fin. From the side, the Halo could match the implied line of the car a little better, but it's not bad looking. From the front... My eyes were drawn to the front due to the red, so I never looked at how the halo looks in the front view. Overall, it's a good looking car.

Sorry but that is a truly awful looking racing car!

The nasty stub nose, the "Gillette Mach 6" front wing, the random little fin on the front nose cone, the "fake eyelash" barge boards, the awkward looking fin, the mind numbing paint job and of course the aesthetically insulting halo all add up to what must be for my money one of the ugliest F1 cars ever.

The best bits if I had to pick something are the SF-70 inspired sidepods. That's about it.

Welcome to racing, where, surprise surprise, aerodynamics are take priority before looks.

I'm guessing a lot of the black parts will be painted white by the time they get to Australia. I feel they did it to make the details harder to see.

I imagine all the major teams are not changing their livery that much from last year. Williams hasn't changed much at all since getting the Martini sponsorship. A real shame as there's so much more bodywork that can be touched by that iconic stripe.

Back