2018 Holden Commodore(ZB)

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 203 comments
Looking at the Insignias Engine and drive train configurations I'm wondering why the AWD is limited to the V6 as both FWD engines that are coming have a AWD option on the Insignia.

If the Base 2.0L Turbo is the 247hp unit though then I guess there will be good times, the car is alot lighter then a Commodore so it will Fly compared to the current SV6.

Here in the States, they offer the Buick Regal with the 2.0T and AWD, in both a standard and sporty configuration. Power is set at 259/295, it'll run 0-60 in under 6.5 seconds, and tries to dig out of corners like the old B5 S4. With a new chassis, presumably the updated 2.0T from the Equinox, and potentially that new 9-speed automatic, I'd be willing to bet there will be some sporting credentials.

HERE’S the first close-up detail image of the next-generation Holden Commodore – the slimline LED headlights with the latest matrix technology to maximise driving visibility while minimising glare to oncoming traffic.

Shown on the upcoming Vauxhall/Opel Insignia Grand Sport on which the imported 2018 NG Commodore liftback hatch will be based, these headlamps are expected to look identical to the Holden variety.

Dubbed IntelliLux and originally foreshadowed on the Opel Monza concept car of 2013, the lighting technology is making its debut on the new Astra that starts to roll into Holden showrooms later this month.

But while the Astra’s lights employ 16 LED segments, the Insignia/Commodore will get 32 for even better performance.

According to a Vauxhall media release issued overnight, the extra LEDs in the Insignia’s lights result in “smoother transitions between lighting patterns to suit every driving condition”.

“Automatically and constantly adapting the range and distribution of light from the headlamps, the new Insignia Grand Sport delivers a brighter light in a precise manner, at all times managing to avoid dazzling other road users,” it says.

New functions including curve and spotlight illumination to improve long-range vision at night.

Vauxhall says the light intensity automatically rises according to the steering angle, so that when a driver steers into a curve, the light beam follows and increases to show the way.

Each headlight has a high-beam spotlight for additional illumination of up to 400 metres.

When driving towards oncoming traffic, the lights sense the headlights of other vehicles and, using matrix technology, blacks out that segment of the light to prevent blinding glare while maintaining high-beam light to light the road.

In built-up areas, the lights automatically sense the street lights and adjust accordingly.

GM Europe exterior lighting engineering group manager Ingolf Schneider said the Astra’s lights had showed the benefits of the IntelliLux headlights, but the engineers had been able to take it to the next level with Insignia.

“The second generation of this innovative technology introduces new features that improve visibility, and therefore safety, when driving at night,” he said.

Although the media release did not state it, the lights almost certainly will include a daytime running function via the two hockey-stick-shaped strips across the top.

The first imported Commodore will arrive in Holden showrooms about February 2018, about four months after the home-grown variety ceases production at Elizabeth, South Australia.

For the first time, the new-generation large car will not have a sedan version, instead getting a five-door liftback design dubbed Sportback. The range will also include a station wagon that, if European reports are right, will include a high-rider version.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/12/all-new-2017-opel-insignia-spied.html

Can't wait to see this in VASC spec. Should be epic.

2017-Opel-Vauxhall-Insignia-Spy-Camofree-12.jpg

2017-Opel-Vauxhall-Insignia-Spy-Camofree-13.jpg

Edit:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/12/05/2018-buick-regal-sedan-wagon-spy-photos/

cdauto-insigniawagon-12516-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
The wedge shape makes it look decent enough I guess. The rear of the original VE SS-V Commodore looked way more modern though.

It looks awfully similar to a Mazda 6, especially from the B-pillar forwards. Heck, my dad would probably mistake it for one of these. The design is better than the current VF Commodore IMO and would look sick as a Supercar. I wonder if the new model will be designated "VG", or even "VJ"

Maybe they'll keep the NG.

Looks tough. Triple black with black wheels, red w/black wheels and White w/black wheels will ne the flavors for these. No doubt they'll be dropped 30-60mm. Will we see bright greens, orange, yellows and purple?

I'm pretty sure what Holden have been saying is they will be modifying the body a bit, atleast in the styling department to make it more unique(Given it's a very important car for the brand).

The Insignia does look good though, and if it's going in the same direction as the new Astra it could be a class leader.

Not bad, actually. Kind of like Holden meets Mazda in its design, but it is anything but ugly. I don't even think it's bland-looking. Of course, I am someone who often finds beauty in all things no matter what negative people give things.

I seriously hope the wagon makes it to the US. Buick has been trying over the past several years to liven up their image, and the wagon will most likely help. Not to mention it's very good looking; reminds me of the V90 on some angles.

The sedan, despite the fact that it's better looking than most mid-size cars on the market, looks too much like the new Malibu. Which is not terrible, but if it's going to be sold as a Buick, it should be at least more distinctive looking, so the Regal and Malibu can be told apart easily.

I seriously hope the wagon makes it to the US. Buick has been trying over the past several years to liven up their image, and the wagon will most likely help. Not to mention it's very good looking; reminds me of the V90 on some angles.

The sedan, despite the fact that it's better looking than most mid-size cars on the market, looks too much like the new Malibu. Which is not terrible, but if it's going to be sold as a Buick, it should be at least more distinctive looking, so the Regal and Malibu can be told apart easily.

How? The wagon was thought to do the same for Cadillac and look how long that lasted, even under the V series. The current line supposedly brings in younger buyers than it had before. Those not in the market seem to be the ones that see Buick as a brand still for the old. Even if this wasn't so, I still don't see how a wagon would liven up things, other than being cool to some of us.

chopping the rear of the 2018 wagon might be a better option for the render.

I'd wonder if a stretched Mustang platform could give way to a ute.

That looks nice. On the AWD V6 version, that would be pretty cool.

Maybe some aftermarket ones will show.

Actually, it'd be pretty interesting if GM threw together a pickup/ute with a similar level of refinement to the Honda Ridgeline. Even if it would potentially eat into sales of the Colorado and Canyon, it could expand their sales a bit further for people looking for something a little more capable than a standard crossover. How they'd do it as a Buick... Well, that's anyone's guess.

Betcha it won't sell. The only reason people really buy big Holdens is because it's Australian designed and built. Take that away, and it's another faceless large car. GM won't realise the mistake they've made until it's too late.

There only way to fix it is change the front fascia of the Camaro and call it the Monaro. Ain't perfect, but it's better than nothing.

Back