2018 Holden Commodore(ZB)

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 203 comments
Did the big Holdens sell particularly well anyway?
They sold in reasonable numbers. More than comparably sized BMWs and Mercedes. It's just because they only sold them in Australia, New Zealand, and in limited numbers in the Middle East, America, and the United Kingdom is why they weren't able to justify the cost of an entire separate platform and chassis and building it only in a country where the people have to be payed reasonable wages.
Long story short: It made money, but not enough.

So essentially, Australians are buying imports in much bigger numbers than the home grown cars, so something imported from GM stands to be more like the cars Australians are buying already?

Yeah, can't see that working.

VXR
So essentially, Australians are buying imports in much bigger numbers than the home grown cars, so something imported from GM stands to be more like the cars Australians are buying already?

Yeah, can't see that working.
They're buying more economical imports because Australian models have no small engine or diesel available. Even still, the Commodore still outsold the C class some 3 to 1. The Commodore is the best selling large car in the country, and the only reason it doesn't sell more is because it's petrol V6 and V8 only. The Commodore regularly outsold every car in Mazda's lineup. It's within a thousand cars a year of the Hilux.
And besides, plenty of people liked to know it existed even if they never bought it. And with Ford now selling the Mustang in Oz, GM has no competitor available in the country. Thus why I suggested the Camaro=Monaro.

Commodore was the best Selling car in Australia till like about 5 years ago, however it's always been around the top 5.

The reason it sells is because it's cheap for the size and the Fleet market buys them religiously.

Comparing the Holden to a Mercedes though I'm not sure I get what your doing because they are not even in the same class.

A Camaro/Monaro or both in the lineup, would probably outsell the Mustang. Thing is, the Ute's, small cars and CUVs are just smashing any sedan bigger than Mazda3.

Commodore was the best Selling car in Australia till like about 5 years ago, however it's always been around the top 5.

The reason it sells is because it's cheap for the size and the Fleet market buys them religiously.

Comparing the Holden to a Mercedes though I'm not sure I get what your doing because they are not even in the same class.
I was just listing another rear wheel drive saloon that he would be more familiar with. Fleet sales is sales anyway.

The Hilux outsells anything ever pretty much, because what ever has the Fleet market will be the best selling car, private buyers are less likely to buy brand new.

The Hilux outsells anything ever pretty much, because what ever has the Fleet market will be the best selling car, private buyers are less likely to buy brand new.
I know. My point was it's within a few hundred cars a month sales wise. That's far from being considered a 'poor seller'. Which is the whole point I was making.

I know. My point was it's within a few hundred cars a month sales wise. That's far from being considered a 'poor seller'. Which is the whole point I was making.
My post was Aimed at @05XR8 keep forgetting to quote lol.

Anyway if we where to take the Fleet Market out of it the best selling car by a country mile would be the Mazda 3, it has barely any fleet sales and is nearly purely Private buyers but it struggles to top the list because of it even though it's close.

When I sold Holdens, it was SS sedans, SV6 utes and Cruze were top sellers. The Colorado wasn't really on the radar.

When I sold Toyotas, HiLux was going to fleet and Private, everything else sold but the Aurion.

At Mazda, BT-50s were flying out the dealership. Mazda3, CX-5 and Mazda2 were always topped up by the stock controller.

Fleet changed with home improvement businesses, Camry Hybrid taxis and private buyers wanting to get under 10L/100km at the pump.

To imply the home grown Commodore was killed off because it sold poorly is simply asinine, essentially. It was killed off because no matter how well it sold, it was a car for one one numerically small market. That's not economically viable for any car manufacturer. And if you wanna tin-foil hat, it also didn't fit the current GM design ethos of 'only Americans get the V8s, and nothing should be faster than Chevrolet when it comes to V8s'.

The proper way to handle it would've been to move it to the global Alpha platform and sell it as a cheaper alternative to the CTS. And sell it with different badges according to whatever market it's sold in. Holden, Vauxhall, Opel, Chevrolet, Buick.

Holden were only doing short term "solutions". When I went to the premiere of the VE II, the biggest talk was about the infotainment system. Bluetooth was the most wanted feature people wanted in their cars. Cylinder shutdown was secondary in the V8 auto. A feature my Mother's 300C had since May '04, 7 years prior!

It was too late for the Australian market. I wish Cadillac came here. I feel Holden should have rebadged them. They'd sell.
Thing is, manufacturing here was doomed. Holden even designed and built the Cruze here. Just too late for Band-Aids.

When I sold Holdens, it was SS sedans, SV6 utes and Cruze were top sellers. The Colorado wasn't really on the radar.

When I sold Toyotas, HiLux was going to fleet and Private, everything else sold but the Aurion.

At Mazda, BT-50s were flying out the dealership. Mazda3, CX-5 and Mazda2 were always topped up by the stock controller.

Fleet changed with home improvement businesses, Camry Hybrid taxis and private buyers wanting to get under 10L/100km at the pump.
I'm guessing the Toyota Aurion didn't sell too well thanks to the gawdy fake wood grain trim in the middle to upper models and, a foot-operated hand brake :odd:

I'm guessing the Toyota Aurion didn't sell too well thanks to the gawdy fake wood grain trim in the middle to upper models and, a foot-operated hand brake :odd:

Fake wood trim and foot-operated parking brakes have been around for a long, long time.

Fake wood trim and foot-operated parking brakes have been around for a long, long time.
Yes, they have but, when your competition doesn't have those two things, you'd have to like them to buy the Aurion or, it's just not on the list and your potential buyer goes elsewhere. Sale lost.

The American fever has overtaken with FWD/AWD and V6 turning yet another muscle legend into a grocery getter. If we aren't getting any Aussie muscle cars anymore here in the US, hopefully GM makes the Impala available with a V8 or V6 and RWD at least. Otherwise, there's no point in keeping both really.

Mercedes have had foot operated Hand brakes since for ever, they are stupid but still.

The greenhouse on the sedan is just way too long. Personally, I prefer the estate/wagon and ute versions.

:lol: Smooth car. I liked the TRD option.

It's like the market changed just when the Mitsubishi 380 ceased production. Like a switch was flipped. To me, anyway.

:lol: Smooth car. I liked the TRD option.

It's like the market changed just when the Mitsubishi 380 ceased production. Like a switch was flipped. To me, anyway.
Oh gawd! That 380 could make anything else look stylish. I think it took them 2 years to get to the Series lll.

The TRD would've given the Falcon & Commodore sporties a serious run if it wasn't trying to put all that grunt to the ground through the wrong end.

The American fever has overtaken with FWD/AWD and V6 turning yet another muscle legend into a grocery getter. If we aren't getting any Aussie muscle cars anymore here in the US, hopefully GM makes the Impala available with a V8 or V6 and RWD at least. Otherwise, there's no point in keeping both really.
The best option would've been to sell the Commodore as the Caprice in America. The name has meaning, and they could sell the Impala alongside. They already sold the Calais to the police as the Caprice, makes sense to sell the civvie one the same way.

The best option would've been to sell the Commodore as the Caprice in America. The name has meaning, and they could sell the Impala alongside. They already sold the Calais to the police as the Caprice, makes sense to sell the civvie one the same way.
Correction. GM never sold the Calais in the US. They sold the long wheelbase Statesman/Caprice sedan to the police departments.
Doesn't even deserve the name Commodore. Just call it the Insignia, that's what it is.

@05XR8 it'll be NG, apparently.
I agree. It's an Insignia so call it for what it is. Holden are just going to try & trade on a long term nameplate that has no relevance to what it'll be attached to.

Oh and NG won't be any better than VG in my opinion.
NG: Not Good, Not Great, No Good.
I'm sure there'll be a growing list.

Back