2019 Virgin Australia Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 2,044 comments
WAU-livery-Mobil-1200x848.jpg

Man, I'm getting a slight late 80's/early 90's Mobil Commodore vibe from this. Amazing what a couple of small changes can do. Love it.

Pretty much. If Mobil gets on board, I wouldn't be upset at all if they ran that livery for the rest of the year. :embarrassed:
Neither would I. The problem is, Mobil has more than likely already sorted their sponsorship/marketing budget for the year. I'd imagine it would be a stretch to bump that number & cover the shortfall, depending on what WAU are asking for.
I hope Mobil do like Shell V-Power. Full on back both cars for a long term. Done.
The problem here is that Mobil service stations have been swallowed up as 7-Eleven stores now & they don't have a market presence like they used to when Mobil was the title sponsor of HRT. They'd need to see a favourable market return for their investment or the numbers don't stack up.

Neither would I. The problem is, Mobil has more than likely already sorted their sponsorship/marketing budget for the year. I'd imagine it would be a stretch to bump that number & cover the shortfall, depending on what WAU are asking for.

The problem here is that Mobil service stations have been swallowed up as 7-Eleven stores now & they don't have a market presence like they used to when Mobil was the title sponsor of HRT. They'd need to see a favourable market return for their investment or the numbers don't stack up.
I reckon this won't be the last time this year that Walkinshaw will have to change their primary sponsor before the year is out.

True story. I forgot about about! On my road trip to Dubbo, a couple weeks ago, I did notice barren/closed Mobil stations.

So, 7/11 on WAU cars next year?

I've read that Shane van Gisbergen would like to see more events in New Zealand. I know this is probably basis since Gizzy's a kiwi, but I would love to see that as well and I reckon others do too. Maybe go to Highlands, it might need some upgrades to host a Supercars round there, but it usually (from what I've seen) produces some good racing. This definitely won't happen but maybe a return to Wellington, that would be awesome. Or Hamilton, but again very unlikely.

What do you guys think?

whincup was thinking of having less rounds. I'd just about prefer that as well. The big breaks in between rounds feels like a short year anyway.

Adding a couple rounds in NZ, I'd welcome it. I'd cut Winton and Townsville for Highlands and Hampton Downs.

I'd rather see overseas events in New Zealand than anywhere to the north purely for bags of cash. That idea annoys the hell out of me :irked:

The thing is, although back-to-back rounds make logistical sense if any of the cars suffer major damage, the teams won't have the spares inventory to effect repairs. Add containers of spares to cover this scenario & it gets expensive.

The only way I see multiple visits over the ditch working is a visit early & another visit later in the season. This is expensive too but I think ticket sales would be higher than if they do the b2b option.

Overall with the teams looking to reduce costs, it's probably wishful thinking :indiff:

whincup was thinking of having less rounds. I'd just about prefer that as well. The big breaks in between rounds feels like a short year anyway.

Adding a couple rounds in NZ, I'd welcome it. I'd cut Winton and Townsville for Highlands and Hampton Downs.
I agree cutting Winton and put a round at either Highlands or Hampton will be better.

How old is Reynolds, mid 30's? That's essentially a lifetime contact. :crazy:
Wiki says he turned 34 in July, so yeah, that'll pretty well see out his career. Good on 'im.

On other news: Did you fellas see this?

"This message is for David Reynolds," the caller says.

"David, you're an absolute ****ing knob, mate.

"Knock, knock, who's there? Scott McLaughlin who?
"He won more races at GRM than you won in your life, you **** head. You did nothing at FPR (Ford Performance Racing).

"You were no better than (Mark) Winterbottom or (will) Davison or (Paul) Dumbrell. All you Holden drivers had a much faster car than him last year and you still ****ing lost to a much, much better driver, in a ****ing taxi."
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12266447

Seriously... over a bit of harmless banter? There's some proper knobheads out there :banghead:.

If they swap over to the Mustang, they have to sell all Nissan stock to anyone interested & restock with the blue oval brand. They also lose their uniqueness as a marketing point to any potential sponsor.

Considering how some of the regulations supposedly limit the potential of the Nissan engine, they may as well cut their loses & adopt the Ford.

Uniqueness in order to get a sponsor doesn't work 99% of the time. The factory support is invaluable. Just ask if Penske racing should have continued using Dodge Chargers (in NASCAR) after Brad Kesolowski won a championship in 2012 when Dodge said they were bowing out after 2012. Ford not only has deep pockets, they want that marketing (ego?) boost of being the most dominant in a motorsport. If Nissan was planning to stay in, I would have thought that they would have attempted to see if the GT-R body could be adopted to the spec chassis. I also saw an article months ago where WAU said trying to adopt the Camaro body to the chassis made the car look very awkward. The Mustang doesn't look as svelte in either VASC guise nor NASCAR appearance, but both sanctioning bodies signed off on them.

Close enough to that Porsche livery.

About the 10y deal, just proves Betty said she's in it for the long haul. More power to them.

Close enough to that Porsche livery.

About the 10y deal, just proves Betty said she's in it for the long haul. More power to them.
Yeah it is. Kinda odd that they'd go with an Earl Bamber Motorsport look alike.

According to Larko the ZB's new aero modifications will add aero to the equivalent of carrying a 12 year old child on the roof, and with a quick google search that seems to equate to approximately 42kg's (results were from 41.5-43 kg) of extra downforce overall. Does that seems like a pretty big increase to you, especially when it's not their first increase? It certainly does to me, but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see :boggled:.

So much for the closest ever results during homologation testing :lol:.

According to Larko the ZB's new aero modifications will add aero to the equivalent of carrying a 12 year old child on the roof, and with a quick google search that seems to equate to approximately 42kg's (results were from 41.5-43 kg) of extra downforce overall. Does that seems like a pretty big increase to you, especially when it's not their first increase? It certainly does to me, but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see :boggled:.

So much for the closest ever results during homologation testing :lol:.
Did Larko quote a speed at which the result is 12yo?
I ask because there's a big difference between the hairpin & the final corner at Pukekohe.

I agree with you 100% regarding the homologation testing.
The cars (all 3 of them) were supposed to have near-identical coast down times from the whatever the magic number was. Take this into account as a starting point for drag, the apparent reduction in drag for the Ford, plus the recent changes that add downforce/drag to the Holden and I can see Fords blowing past Holdens with ease towards the end of straights. Yes, the rear wings are adjustable to a point but how will this affect tyre wear?

I'm expecting a lot of people to be watching very closely this weekend.

Did Larko quote a speed at which the result is 12yo?
I ask because there's a big difference between the hairpin & the final corner at Pukekohe.

I agree with you 100% regarding the homologation testing.
The cars (all 3 of them) were supposed to have near-identical coast down times from the whatever the magic number was. Take this into account as a starting point for drag, the apparent reduction in drag for the Ford, plus the recent changes that add downforce/drag to the Holden and I can see Fords blowing past Holdens with ease towards the end of straights. Yes, the rear wings are adjustable to a point but how will this affect tyre wear?

I'm expecting a lot of people to be watching very closely this weekend.
Nah he didn't, but the normally quoted figure for downforce is 200kph. Skaife and Lowndes were both saying how it will help stability through the fast bumpy corners in NZ.

Nah he didn't, but the normally quoted figure for downforce is 200kph. Skaife and Lowndes were both saying how it will help stability through the fast bumpy corners in NZ.
Ah...Sooooo.... if this was just to aid in the fast bumpy stuff, because you know, Skaife always says no other car rides bumps better than the Red Bull Holdens, a next tweak over the break for Bathurst, to get more straightline speed. Got it.

Ah...Sooooo.... if this was just to aid in the fast bumpy stuff, because you know, Skaife always says no other car rides bumps better than the Red Bull Holdens, a next tweak over the break for Bathurst, to get more straightline speed. Got it.
That was last year ;)... and they shouldn't need any more tweaks. They've already been given more rear wing angle to work with, and with the new gurney they'll be able to run their wing much flatter for the same amount of downforce with (apparently) little to no affect on drag. They'll have a far greater operating window than they had last year.

You'd think T8 totally stuffed up the ZB build with all the extras it's getting/needing this year in comparison to the Kelly's old jigger :sly:.

That was last year ;)... and they shouldn't need any more tweaks. They've already been given more rear wing angle to work with, and with the new gurney they'll be able to run their wing much flatter for the same amount of downforce with (apparently) little to no affect on drag. They'll have a far greater operating window than they had last year.

You'd think T8 totally stuffed up the ZB build with all the extras it's getting/needing this year in comparison to the Kelly's old jigger :sly:.
The number one thing that stuffed them up, was the change in tyre compound. When Caruso won at Hidden Valley, they would have been ready the following year. Then, VASC said, "We'll have those.". Back, to the end of the line.
Of course we all witnessed that lovely string of finishes Rick had last year. Plus, Andre is going good.

Man, I just feel T8 and Holden messed up the factory Holden team spirit.

That 10 year contract is absurd. It’s an insane level of faith for all parties to hold in each other. Faith from Reynolds in Erebus to still be supply high level cars in 10 years time, faith from Erebus in Reynolds to still be performing at a high level, and faith from both in Supercars itself to still be viable in 10 within the next ten years. I can’t see him staying around for the full 10 years.

So Hinchcliffe and Rossi will be racing in their own car, instead of replacing Pye and Courtney's co-drivers. Thank god. I was worried for a while there.
https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/indycar-colours-for-bathurst-wildcard/

I thought that from the very beginning it was announced, they’d made it pretty clear that it was wildcard. They were referred to as wildcards in just about every article written about the news of them coming down.

Back