2020/21 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 948 comments

Your Opinion: Messi or Ronaldo?

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm going to confess that my interest has taken a big dip, mainly due to the double whammy of COVID and VAR over-zealousness. Did tune into MOTD 2 last night though, and I don't know if it was because of the lack of crowd noise to mask the sound somewhat, but that clash of heads between Luiz and Jimenez was horrific. Especially after witnessing the Grosjean incident earlier...

Turns out Jimenez suffered a fractured skull, and he's successfully been through surgery. 👍
Indeed, that looked very nasty. I was surprised Luiz was able to play on. The fact he had to come off at half time suggests it probably wasn't the right thing to do. Hopefully Jiminez recovers quickly and well.

Papa Bouba Diop, Senegal's goalscorer in the famous 1-0 win over defending champions France in the 2002 World Cup Finals, and Fulham, Portsmouth, and Birmingham midfielder, has died aged 42 - seemingly from ALS...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55124939
That's awful, and only 42 as well.

Last edited:
There has been some criticism and talk about David Luiz's head injury following the clash of heads last night, he was treated and had seven stitches and then played on despite his head still bleeding someway through the first half, he was subbed off at half time.

Arsenal insist he was treated correctly and I don't think the criticism is aimed at them, its more about the rules in place regarding head injuries, he definitely should have come off sooner.

Wishing Jimenez a speedy recovery.

There has been some criticism and talk about David Luiz's head injury following the clash of heads last night, he was treated and had seven stitches and then played on despite his head still bleeding someway through the first half, he was subbed off at half time.

Arsenal insist he was treated correctly and I don't think the criticism is aimed at them, its more about the rules in place regarding head injuries, he definitely should have come off sooner.

Wishing Jimenez a speedy recovery.

Wasn't Michael Oliver the match official for this game? I was watching the game but can't remember exactly who it was. Once his bandage started bleeding through I thought that was an automatic send off and I thought surely the ref could see that. I think one of the goal keepers a couple of weeks ago had to change his jersey because it had a spot of blood on it.

Leicester 1-2 Fulham.
West Ham 2-1 Aston Villa.

A nice Lookman goal and a Cavaleiro penalty in the first half for Fulham and Leicester pushed in the second half but only managed a late consolation from Harvey Barnes, best I've seen Fulham so far this season and deserved the win.

West Ham went in front thanks to an Ogbonna header after just two minutes but that Grealish equalised for Villa with a fantastic strike, Bowen got what was the eventual winner right after half time, Watkins missed a pen for Villa and had a late goal ruled out for a marginal offside thanks to VAR again.

------------------------------------------------

FA Cup Third Round Draw.

Huddersfield v Plymouth.
Southampton v Shrewsbury.
Chorley v Derby.
Marine v Tottenham.
Wolves v Crystal Palace.
Stockport v West Ham.
Oldham v Bournemouth.
Man United v Watford.
Stevenage v Swansea.
Everton v Rotherham.
Nottingham Forest v Cardiff.
Arsenal v Newcastle.
Barnsley v Tranmere.
Bristol Rovers v Sheffield United.
Boreham Wood v Millwall.
Blackburn v Doncaster.
Stoke v Leicester
Wycombe v Preston.
Crawley v Leeds.
Burnley v MK Dons.
Bristol City v Portsmouth.
QPR v Fulham.
Aston Villa v Liverpool.
Brentford v Middlesbrough.
Man City v Birmingham.
Luton v Reading.
Chelsea v Morcambe.
Exeter v Sheffield Wednesday.
Norwich v Coventry.
Blackpool v West Brom.
Newport v Brighton.
Cheltenham v Mansfield.

Eighth tier Marine at home to Tottenham!!

The Newcastle v. Aston Villa match scheduled for Friday December 4th has been postponed due to a number of positive COVID-19 test results at Newcastle.

Newcastle had to shut the training ground for the last two days, five positive tests in total, no surprise about the postponement.

@Famine Are you doing an FA Cup thread this year??
Nah. Football shouldn't even be on right now, it's bloody stupid. The gambling cup sponsored by gambling, in association with gambling and gambling can piss off.

Games this weekend.

Saturday.
Burnley v Everton (12.30 BT)
Man City v Fulham (3pm BT)
West Ham v Man United (5.30 Sky)
Chelsea v Leeds (8pm Sky)

Sunday.
West Brom v Crystal Palace (12pm Sky)
Sheffield United v Leicester (2.15 Sky)
Tottenham v Arsenal (4.30 Sky)
Liverpool v Wolves (7.15 Amazon)

Monday Night.
Brighton v Southampton (8pm Sky)

Aston Villa v Newcastle was meant to be on tonight but is postponed because of a Covid-19 outbreak in the Newcastle camp.

Five games will see 2,000 fans at the stadiums. West Ham-Man United, Chelsea v Leeds, Tottenham-Arsenal, Liverpool-Wolves and Brighton-Southampton will have fans in attendance for the first time since March, Arsenal had 2,000 fans at the Emirates for their 4-1 win over Rapid Vienna in the Europa League last night.

Five games will see 2,000 fans at the stadiums. West Ham-Man United, Chelsea v Leeds, Tottenham-Arsenal, Liverpool-Wolves and Brighton-Southampton will have fans in attendance for the first time since March, Arsenal had 2,000 fans at the Emirates for their 4-1 win over Rapid Vienna in the Europa League last night.
I don't understand the blanket 2000 figure. Surely clubs with bigger grounds can have more spectators, in safety, than those with smaller grounds?

I saw the first half of the Arsenal game, BT didn't use crowd noise for the match and despite the fairly minimal support in a big stadium the fans definitely made themselves heard, it was good to hear proper crowd noise and chants after months of the piped in stuff.

I don't understand the blanket 2000 figure. Surely clubs with bigger grounds can have more spectators, in safety, than those with smaller grounds?
I guess it's a financial level playing field thing too, i.e. unless there's some agreement to share ticket receipts (which I guess there won't be), then there could be all sorts of arguments over who gets what audience...

Burnley 1-1 Everton
Man City 2-0 Fulham
West Ham 1-3 Man United

Robbie Brady put Burnley in front after just three minutes before Calvert Lewin continued his great form with an equaliser right on half time.

I was at work for the City and United game and I have only just come in so I cant really comment on the games, Sterling and a De Bruyne penalty gave City the win, as for United well it seems like we had a shocker in the first half much like we did against Southampton and Soucek scored in the first half but Ole brought Bruno and Rashford on at HT and then we scored three, Pogba, Greenwood and Rashford with the goals and I heard Pogba's was a great team goal.

Chelsea v Leeds just kicked off, Leeds 1-0 up thanks to Bamford.

Just seen the footage from Millwall. Absolutely disgusting. Just kick them out of the league.

Last edited:
I was at work for the City and United gameand I have only just come in so I cant really comment on the games, Sterling and a De Bruyne penalty gave City the win, as for United well it seems like we had a shocker in the first half much like we did against Southampton and Soucek scored in the first half but Ole brought Bruno and Rashford on at HT and then we scored three, Pogba, Greenwood and Rashford with the goals and I heard Pogba's was a great team goal.
The first half left a lot to be desired, Van De Beek was not involved, nothing was getting forward from the fullbacks or Pogba and McTominay. The balls were constantly going backwards and sidewards, inviting pressure and we could have been 3 behid by the time we equalised. But missed chances are missed chances, we ended up missing a couple of our own and they play a part inevery match. But those were some missed chances from West Ham :lol:.

Second half we were pressing and passing forward more, and by the end of the game we looked good for the win. Pogbas goal came out of the blue and Bruno's introduction stepped us up a gear. He just makes things happen at the opponents end, but just as importantly Pogba and McTominay started to play well and move the ball forward so Bruno wasn't isolated like Van De Beek was in the first half.

Last edited:
upload_2020-12-6_17-13-16.png

Uhhhh.... what?

West Brom 1-5 Crystal Palace.
Sheffield United 1-2 Leicester.
Tottenham 2-0 Arsenal.

Palace took the lead thanks to a Furlong OG after 8 minutes and Gallagher equalised for WBA on the half hour mark but WBA had Pereira sent off for a lunge on Van Aanholt whilst he was on the ground, it was a soft sending off and after that Palace run riot in the second half with Zaha and Benteke getting two each.

Perez and McBurnie with the goals in the first half and Leicester dominated the second half but the winner was pretty cruel on United with boyhood Sheffield Wednesday fan Jamie Vardy scoring in the 92nd minute....and smashing the corner flag into pieces in the process!

A fantastic goal from Son on 13 minute (set up by Kane yet again!) and Kane getting one himself in the first half, another typical Joe classic with Arsenal having more possession and shots but Spurs ended up winning, Spurs top the table with Arsenal down in 15th after 11 games.

Liverpool-Wolves to come.

FA are investigating the crowd related incidents at Millwall and Colchester following the booing of players taking the knee at the weekend.

And yes it happened at Colchester as well...

Pogba's agent says the player is 'unhappy' and 'has to leave' Man Utd...

Mino Raiola is a cancer on football.

As for Pogba, thanks to Raiola's poisoning, he's an absolute Big Time Charlie, to use one of Fergie's best utterances.

The fact that Raiola has come out and said this before United play in their two biggest games of the season so far tells you what sort of person he is...

Bye Paul!

I don't know if anyone else feels the same about football, but the corona interruption made me realise that I don't need football in my life anymore. After the ridiculous decline of the Dutch league, I kept on watching the European leagues as they provided decent games, Champions league more than Europa. After the first series of games in empty stadiums the last spark died on me. It showed (and shows) that football has turned to ****. Screwing over your colleagues is more important than trying to go for an honest win. Diving is an accepted part of the game now. People like that asswipe Neymar ruin everything. People like Raiola ruin promising careers to fill their own pockets. And for me the worst part of football has become that there isn't a team left that represents the town or region they come from. They're all foreign legions with massive salaries that no longer give a **** about the colours they represent.

**** them, **** their World Cup, and **** any nation that, having qualified, doesn't withdraw from it.

And that. **** FIFA. **** UEFA. **** the bribes and corrupt ****ers.

I hope they all go bankrupt.

Games this weekend.

Tonight.
Leeds v West Ham (8pm Sky)

Saturday.
Wolves v Aston Villa (12.30 BT)
Newcastle v West Brom (3pm Sky)
Man United v Man City (5.30 Sky)
Everton v Chelsea (8pm BT)

Sunday.
Southampton v Sheffield United (12pm Sky)
Crystal Palace v Tottenham (2.15 Sky)
Fulham v Liverpool (4.30 Sky)
Arsenal v Burnley (7.15 Sky)
Leicester v Brighton (7.15 Amazon)

Newcastle v West Brom going ahead as scheduled after Newcastle's Covid outbreak, they only re-opened their training ground on Wednesday after it was closed for 13 days.

There are Premier League games on Tuesday and Wednesday next week.

Leeds 1-2 West Ham
Wolves 0-1 Aston Villa
Newcastle 2-1 West Brom
Man United 0-0 Man City
Everton 1-0 Chelsea
Southampton 3-0 Sheffield United
Crystal Palace 0-1 Spurs (latest)

United and City played out the worst Manchester derby in recent memory, Sheffield United and WBA's problems continue, Mike Dean was very card happy in the Wolves-Villa game with one red for each and six yellows for Villa.

Elsewhere the Madrid derby was yesterday with Real beating Atletico 2-0 and its been reported that Dortmund have sacked their manager.

Back