2020 Formula 1 Calendar threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 525 comments
I think Mugello will be a pretty boring race. There don't seem to be real overtaking spots for F1 cars. Only braking into turn 1 might be a possibility.

Yeah, only start/ finish straight will offer overtakes.

Beautiful track/ location but probably a quali fest race.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53527355

As expected, Brazil, Mexico and USA cancelled due to their respective Covid situations. With Canada being virtually impossible logistically so also off the table.

This will apparently pave the way for the Nurburgring in early October, Portimao late October and Imola in early November. With suggestions of Bahrain hosting 2 and Abu Dhabi at the end.

The article also seems to suggest that the Vietnamese GP is almost certain to go ahead, alongside Sepang. This would take us to 18 races, although the additions are as yet unconfirmed.

I'm not necessarily complaining, but it's looking increasingly unlikely that any races will be held outside Europe this year.

I'm not necessarily complaining, but it's looking increasingly unlikely that any races will be held outside Europe this year.

That has no bearing on it being a world championship - the term refers to the competitors rather than the location. Some World Championship events are held at a single venue, for example.

That has no bearing on it being a world championship - the term refers to the competitors rather than the location. Some World Championship events are held at a single venue, for example.

The BTCC is held exclusively in the UK but is open to non-British drivers, the GP2 Asia Series was held exclusively in Asia but was open to non-Asian drivers, the Formula 3 Euroseries was held exclusively in Europe but was open to non-European drivers. It's the other way around.

Eifel Grand Prix
Portuguese Grand Prix
Emilia Romagna Grand Prix

20200724_134226.jpg

Aside from Bahrain. Abu Dhabi, Vietnam and Malaysia which all seem to just be a matter of when they're confirmed, not if.

Last edited:
Hockenheim must still have the rights to the German GP then. Still amazed they haven't designated a "European GP" yet. If it really is the Eifel GP, then the Nurburgring will have hosted 4 different races - German, European, Luxembourg and Eifel. Imola will get its third - Italian, San Marino, Emilia Romagna

Hockenheim must still have the rights to the German GP then. Still amazed they haven't designated a "European GP" yet. If it really is the Eifel GP, then the Nurburgring will have hosted 4 different races - German, European, Luxembourg and Eifel. Imola will get its third - Italian, San Marino, Emilia Romagna

Yeah the Hockenheim organiser have the rights to the German GP. Interesting they didn't go with San Marina for Imola.

Edit. Officially confirmed.

Last edited:
Massively looking forward to all three of these events :D:tup:

That being said, anyone want to wager the chances of F1 keeping any of these new or returning circuits on the calendar for 2021?

I heard about Portimao yesterday afternoon from Felipe Albuquerque who had posted info about it prior to F1. What I'm curious about is if F1 also considered Esotril before settling on Portimao.
Massively looking forward to all three of these events :D:tup:

That being said, anyone want to wager the chances of F1 keeping any of these new or returning circuits on the calendar for 2021?
Unless F1 is preparing to cancel Bahrain, China and Azerbaijan, other races, I can't see how they will have any additional races planned. Right now, the 2021 calendar has 18 races, with China, Red Bull Ring and Interlagos currently not under contract for 2021. I could see MAYBE replacing RBR with Portimao, but barring another pandemic, I can't see F1 eliminating non-European tracks for more European venues.

With Monza, Mugello and Imola on the calendar, I think 2020 will become the first season since 1982 to have three races in one country.

Virtual Hotlaps of all the new circuits to the calendar with 2020 cars
Mugello

Where will the second DRS zone go, if at all? The middle sector looks utterly epic in these cars

Nurburgring

This circuit is great for racing, 2011 showed that to perfection. Some October weather could spice it up. Snow maybe?

Portimao

Jeez, 6th gear? They need to use the chicane T1 or we're never going to see an overtake. Otherwise an epic circuit to watch them on!

Imola

The first race on Imola without the final chicane. Where will the other DRS zone(s) go? Into and out of the chicane after Acque Minerale gets my vote.

Portimao as a swap for Barcelona isn't beyond the realms of possibility. Barcelona was only on the calendar this season as a last minute finding of budget, although I suppose that money will suddenly reappear now Alonso is back and Sainz is going to Ferrari.

Back