2020 Formula 1 Calendar threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 525 comments
tenor(2).gif

My attention has been captured.

55 second quali laps, 60 second race laps predicted.

I take it this would be the fastest of all lap records?
The current fastest (in terms of time) pole position is 00:58.790 set by Niki Lauda at the 1974 French GP at Dijon-Prenois.
https://www.statsf1.com/en/circuit-dijon-prenois.aspx
This was before the track was lengthened with the addition of a long hairpin, but by 1982 they were close to breaking the 1 minute mark again with a 1:01.380.
Other circuits which had pole laps faster than the Red Bull Ring (1:02.939) include: Indy Oval (1:01.395 - Eddie Sachs 1960), Old Kyalami (1:02.366 - Nigel Mansell 1985).

The Sakhir GP circuit should break that easily. 87 lap race too, the first GP with 80+ laps since Adelaide in 1995.

Honestly lap time generally needs to be contextualised by the average speed for comparisions to really make sense.

Indy 500 qualifying is not directly comparable since it's based off of a four-lap average speed and the fastest time is not necessarily the pole time, as only times set on the first day of qualifying were eligible for pole position during the era when it counted towards the World Driver's Championship.

The 1:01.395 being given for Eddie Sachs' 1960 Indy 500 pole is presumably the length of the course [4023 metres] divided by his four-lap average speed during the Pole Day time trials [65.532 m/s], which gives a time of 61.390 seconds by my calculations. The actual qualifying time would presumably be 4:05.560.

Interestingly on the fourth day of time trials (times set on which were not eligible for pole position) Jim Hurtubise set a 149.056 mph [66.634 m/s] four-lap average, the extremely loose equivalent in modern Formula 1 standards of a 1:00.375 lap time.

Honestly lap time generally needs to be contextualised by the average speed for comparisions to really make sense

Interestingly on the fourth day of time trials (times set on which were not eligible for pole position) Jim Hurtubise set a 149.056 mph [66.634 m/s] four-lap average, the extremely loose equivalent in modern Formula 1 standards of a 1:00.375 lap time.

This does pale into comparison with the average speed of the 2018 Italian GP qualifying, which was 163.785 mph.

Impressively, the 2003 Italian GP which had an average speed for the race of 153.843 mph, but that is dwarfed by Juan-Pablo Montoya's Race at Pocono in 2014 where the average race speed, for the entire race including pit stops, was 202.402mph (325.73kph).

This is gonna be the F1 equivalent of GT Sport's FIA SSRX race a while back :lol: Slipstream battle royale and probably we'll see lead changes up to the final lap. Unless you're a Ferrari powered car lol.

I hope that a good race here will encourage the FIA to use more open tracks and less chicanes on straights in the future. Bypass the 1st Monza chicane? Restore the full Mistral Straight? Second USGP back at Indy? Also imagine if we still have classic Interlagos or old Hockenheim...

"It's a low downforce track," Sheikh Salman said.

"There's no way I'm going to compare it to Monza, but it's a track where you're going to run the cars on minimum downforce, so there will be slipstreaming.

"Hopefully we can have three DRS zones."

Personally, I don't think there will be the need for the DRS zones, certainly not three of them.

Remember with the Mistral Straight, it's much longer than it was in the 80s, because they used to turn right just before the first corner and then right again. The current length of the straight is roughly what it was before.

"There's no way I'm going to compare it to Monza, but it's a track where you're going to run the cars on minimum downforce, so there will be slipstreaming.

Personally, I don't think there will be the need for the DRS zones, certainly not three of them.

Remember with the Mistral Straight, it's much longer than it was in the 80s, because they used to turn right just before the first corner and then right again. The current length of the straight is roughly what it was before.
They did use the full Mistral in the 70's when F1 first went to Paul Ricard.

The presence of a chicane on the Mistral isn't a problem, it's just a poorly designed chicane that both isn't fun to drive or ideal for racing. It works, there have been loads of passes through it, but it could do with either being slower, or both turns being closer together.

It's the Turns 3-7 section that spreads the cars out at PR, that's the only bit that needs changing. After the Mistral, the circuit is epic and doesn't need changing at all.

They did use the full Mistral in the 70's when F1 first went to Paul Ricard.

I didn't know that, and after doing some reading, there's not been that much change at the top end of the track: https://www.racingcircuits.info/europe/france/paul-ricard.html#.X0oZF3lKhhE

The presence of a chicane on the Mistral isn't a problem, it's just a poorly designed chicane that both isn't fun to drive or ideal for racing. It works, there have been loads of passes through it, but it could do with either being slower, or both turns being closer together.

Agreed, or the inclusion of some Tec-pro/SAFER barriers on outside of the first two parts of the chicane, to reduce the amount of run-off drivers have, forcing more overtaking moves.

As long as they're not personally certified by Grosjean, it won't be dangerous :D

Let's close our borders NOW, no Monza Mugello Imola for these Scuderia Traitors, put them all - and their 🤬 sf1000s - in a rusty boat adrift the farthest away from home, period.

I couldn't decide whether to watch 'Allo 'Allo! or F1 last night...

One is a long-running farce, and yesterday's episode featured a guy called LeClerc doing his best to entertain while a rather grumpy German looks totally mortified.

CA0E04C8-FD49-4898-8080-88FF06B54FF8.jpeg

At first I thought 3 DRS zones. But yeah you're right, the wings will be very trim and the final turn isn't really a passing zone so it would be interesting to see them ditch DRS and go for the 3 softest compounds.

Low downforce and not many Fast corners should keep them close, I think a team like Renault could be good at that track.

Should put end Slavery on the side of the pit buildings when they race there, see how that goes down.

F1 needs to do it's part of slowing the sportswashing, Russia and China is pushing it, but Saudi Arabia as well?

F1: We need to make a strong show of supporting progressive movements and backing our man Lewis!

Also F1: We really don't care about your human rights record so long as the cash arrives promptly.

I think the biggest insult here is the near certainty that it will be a rubbish track.

Saudi Arabia's 2030 vision by the Murderer-in-Chief Crown Prince Mohammad is heavily anchored around sportwashing. Considering the races already on the calendar for more than a decade, Formula One can't act high and mighty. It's already been involved in sportwashing.

We all mock FIFA and WWE but everyone's got a price and that includes Formula One.

Was Bernie involved in setting up this Arabian GP at all, or is this purely a Liberty Media deal?

https://www.racefans.net/2020/09/23/new-saudi-arabia-f1-street-race-2021-jeddah/

Tracks like Hockenheim get overlooked in place of third-world hellholes like this with no motorsport heritage or culture because money. I wonder if the cars will still sport pride flags here?

I can't wait till the Saudi oil wells dry up and we can stop sucking their 🤬
If Hamilton really cared about people's rights, he would boycott the race. The again he doesn't boycott the Bahrain GP or the Abu Dhabi GP...

Latest Posts

Back