2024 US Presidential Election Thread

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 1,424 comments
The last time I visited NYC, I went to the top of the World Trade Centers with my girlfriend. I almost passed on it, but now I'm glad I went.

Roasted!

5014B8D6-5A66-4D44-A581-134F05FF565D.jpeg

Sorry I didn't make you feel welcome last time.

New York City is surely a culture unto itself, no doubt about that. New Jersey is far more easy-going, from a transportation standpoint.

I can't say I've felt unwelcome there, it just all seems so different to me; it's that your expectations get a little stepped upon and the unexpected becomes a boon ...that's the interesting parts of travel.

Last edited:
I dare you to go to Staten Island and ask for the funfair.
I recommend going there. But when you go there, don't do anything touristy. Wander around the weird streets and alleys and go places that local working people go. You'll hate it but it'll be an experience.
Not a ****ing chance. It's difficult enough getting to go on holiday to places I actually want to go to. The chances of my ever visiting Staten Island are slim to none.

Last edited:
Ron Desantis, at a signing event for his new book "The Courage to be Free", reportedly banned anyone from wearing Trump insignia from being present. It's on.

Is there an Aesop's Fable where the two of them battle each other into a Florida sinkhole?

Last edited:
I like to think there's a war room of sorts at Mar-a-Lago where a team of dedicated goons comes up with nicknames:

Y'all-Qaeda cyber warfare division is heating up

Or it could be Russia, although their cyber warfare division is probably dead from actual warfare.

When Musk said he was pulling out of the Twitter deal due to "too many bots". It was because they were bots he doesn't like. He didn't care that bots were around.

Finally someone my age is running for President. I hope there's a lemon pound cake provisioning platform.

Who else is excited to see Trump dunk on DeSantis mercilessly in the debates? DeSantis has grown his stature through his off camera maneuvering and shenanigans, but functioning well in social settings, much less a debate, is not his forte. Trump is a clown with zero ability to prioritize anything beyond promoting himself, but he is genuinely pretty quick witted, funny, and decent at debates (even if he ends up spewing a near-continuous stream of lies and ridiculous hyperbole). My predictions are that he will mostly ignore the rest of the field and make it impossible to see DeSantis as anything other than an awkward dork. The fact that DeSantis is ingratiating himself with Elon Musk only intensifies the dorkiness.

DorkSantis :lol:

A commenter on Mail Online of all places put forward this analysis:
BobbyC2022
It's difficult to choose between DeSantis and Trump. As Samuel Johnson remarked, "It is difficult to settle the point of precedence between a louse and a flea".

It doesn't matter whether the GOP candidate in 2024 is Trump or DeSantis. It's a fact of history that only one in four sitting POTUS's has failed in a re-election bid. Trump was one of them.

If he couldn't win as the incumbent, he is not going to win as a twice impeached one-term loser who started a riot to overthrow democracy when he lost, challenging the incumbent.

Liz Cheney has also more or less said she will run against him as well to make this even more certain. All she needs to do is take 10% of the GOP vote for a Biden landslide.

In the unlikely event DeSantis is chosen instead, Trump will run as an independent and split the Republican vote. He needs the cash he will be able to grift out of his gullibles during the campaign and it's his best chance of staying out of jail.

The Republicans are screwed whatever they do. Their only hope of winning back the presidency in the foreseeable future is that Trump dies or is jailed. He's a millstone around their necks.

Last edited:
DeSantis is going to bomb in the debates since he has zero policies outside "woke bad." It's going to be especially bad when he's asked anything about the economy too. Florida pretty much sells itself since it's warm and caters to old people, so it's not like it needs a strong economic policy. Although, given DeSantis and his asinine agenda, he's probably going to blame drag queens for tanking the economy.

Just for fun I want to share a humourous bit I heard on a podcast the other day:

If QAnon virgins think Trump secretly won the election and secretly is still the President and the Biden administration is all elaborate acting as a facade, why is he running in 2024? If he won, that's his two terms done. If he's running again, you have to admit he lost.

Just for fun I want to share a humourous bit I heard on a podcast the other day:

If QAnon virgins think Trump secretly won the election and secretly is still the President and the Biden administration is all elaborate acting as a facade, why is he running in 2024? If he won, that's his two terms done. If he's running again, you have to admit he lost.

They don't pay attention to the 2-term limit. Trump himself was advocating staying in office forever.

If he somehow wins, he will try to repeal the rule limiting a President to 2 terms in office.

If he somehow wins, he will try to repeal the rule limiting a President to 2 terms in office.
Which is what I said would happen if he had won in 2020. Right after inauguration he would have gotten all of the wheels in motion to try and get the term limit repealed. He has said before that he admires Putin, and countries like China that have Presidents or rulers for life and I'm sure that is what he wants too.

It'd have to be an amendment to the Constitution and to get states to ratify that would be next to impossible. Even some of the more red states wouldn't want it for fear of a Democrat being in office for decades.

This is over a month old but NYT reporter Maggie Haberman quotes the Financial Times here:

She then goes on to speculate that "on hold" doesn't mean those donors will support DeSaster if Trump screws up even more bigly and loses the nomination to him.

Last edited:
Since Desantis' campaign announcement, Trump's lead over him has only widened, with Trump holding a 25-point lead over Desantis amongst South Carolina republicans.

"Desantis 2024" was doomed from the very beginning and I can't possibly see why Desantis would run in 2024 rather than in 2028 other than being coerced by party leadership. In order for Desantis to eke out a primary win, he would need to successfully convince Trump voters that he is the better alternative. There is simply no other path to victory, as the majority of the Republican party still unambiguously backs Trump.

It's a damned-if-you-do damned-if-you-don't dilemma for Ron. If Desantis largely supports and agrees with Trump, there just isn't enough of a motive for Trump voters to switch Desantis, even if Desantis is perceived as the more electable guy. The cult of personality around Trump is just too fiery and withstanding. However, if Desantis opts to criticize and differentiate himself from Trump, even for legitimate reasons, it will offend and inflame the Trump base, hurting not only his presidential chances but political image in years to come. Curiously, Desantis seems to have veered between both paths, given that he has praised Trump's presidency on numerous occasions, yet is also trying to "out-right" Trump, given that unlike Desantis, Trump does not support a national abortion ban, defunding/privatizing Social Security, and isn't attacking Disney for "indoctrinating children".

And all of this avoids the elephant in the room, that Desantis isn't a charming or charismatic guy, and comes across as too scripted and politician-like, and cannot withstand a debate against Trump. One of the leading reasons why Trump won the 2016 Republican primary was because was able to run circles around his opponents in a clever but humorous way. Desantis has gained popularity in both Florida and nationwide for his swift, decisive ability to pass "anti-woke" laws, not because he is some gifted orator or alpha-male. Given the fervor for an anti-establishment veneer amongst the Republican electorate, even if Desantis is superior when it comes to policy, it doesn't mean much if he comes across as defeated or generic in a debate against the Donald.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back