35mm's Snapshots

• Thread starter 35mm
  • 1,929 comments
Great shots. I think that the post processing effects that you have are just perfect.

Also, I clicked on your flickr only to be sent back to older photos you took and I noticed that you once had a watermark. Is there a reason why you got rid of it? I stopped marking my images because I started to notice that it started to look intrusive at some times.

Very nice :)

One marginal thought, if you cropped out the couple on the left, there is perhaps some more simplicity to the subject /2c

I vote no crop.

Do you ever even crop, @35mm?

I don't know what to think about cropping, obviously I do it but I always feel a bit guilty. I guess it also depends what the crop does, if it's just a crop in then it doesn't seem as bad but I don't like to really change the picture with one, if I do I often regret it. There's a weird line and it's different for everyone, perhaps a good topic for another thread.

Last edited:
Also, I clicked on your flickr only to be sent back to older photos you took and I noticed that you once had a watermark. Is there a reason why you got rid of it? I stopped marking my images because I started to notice that it started to look intrusive at some times.
I once decided to reprocess some old photos and, at the time, it seemed like a good idea to add a watermark to those. The idea was to create some sort of portfolio, on a personal website. But it all went down the drain and you'll only find a handful of old photos with watermark.

Other than that, I have several car shows photos with watermark as well, but that was because they were to be shared on a car forum, by my brother, and he advised me to add them.

One marginal thought, if you cropped out the couple on the left, there is perhaps some more simplicity to the subject /2c
It definitely would, yes. But then the OCD in me won't let it. :lol:

Seriously, I cannot crop! Only the automatically necessary for straightening - and even then I'll flinch.

The only thing worst than cropping is breaking the image's original proportions. :D

I vote no crop.

Do you ever even crop, @35mm?

I don't know what to think about cropping, obviously I do it but I always feel a bit guilty. I guess it also depends what the crop does, if it's just a crop in then it doesn't seem as bad but I don't like to really change the picture with one, if I do I often regret it. There's a weird line and it's different for everyone, perhaps a good topic for another thread.
I feel your pain. See above.

Oh, and thanks to all for the input. 👍

I think I can see where the third one was... :P
I know, damn it! :lol:

That may seem like a very easy texture to clone-stamp things, but it's actually the opposite. At least with the Lr tool, which sucks. Maybe in Ps it would be easier.

I know, damn it! :lol:

That may seem like a very easy texture to clone-stamp things, but it's actually the opposite. At least with the Lr tool, which sucks. Maybe in Ps it would be easier.

Yeah, I don't imagine it's easily cloneable with a single click using something like Lr or Camera Raw unless you can find the perfect spot. It's definitely doable in Ps but would probably require cloning from multiple small spots to rebuild the wave. I love getting down and dirty with the clone stamp and spot healing tool in Ps so it looks like it would be a lot of fun! Looks like you had to clone out a reflection too, highly unlikely it would be noticed at the size posted if you hadn't said anything but if it were my photo I don't think I could consider it acceptable and you shouldn't either. ;)

Regardless, it's a really nice photo. 👍

if it were my photo I don't think I could consider it acceptable and you shouldn't either. ;)
Thanks for pointing this out. Really, you're absolutely right. 👍

When I have some time, I'll give it an extra effort and replace that one.

Thanks for pointing this out. Really, you're absolutely right. 👍

Right on. I was hoping it didn't come off in a bad way, it's just that your photos are always very refined and leaving something like that doesn't seem to be something you would do.

@Mike Rotch - I know you're just poking fun but I kinda wanted to expand on my opinion on the cropping and cloning and pretty much editing in general. I feel that when you fundamentally change a photo because you couldn't get it right the first time, such as cropping out a very large portion of the original image, you're in a way devaluing the photograph and yourself as a photographer. It becomes less about what you've made and more about what you've fixed. Also to me taking the picture with the intention of editing it a certain way is different all-together. I don't know, there's just something about cropping to fix a photo that feels wrong to me. Ultimately there is no real right or wrong, it is art after all. I have posted two photos in bi-weekly contests that I did a major crop to and I'm not happy about it, it's just this weird feeling and as 35mm pointed out it's not exactly rational. :indiff:

Back