Playstation Classic

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 244 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
Guess Sony wants a piece of the tiny console pie. Available for $99.99 USD (MSRP) / $129.99 CAN (MSRP) on December 3, 2018

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/18/introducing-playstation-classic-with-20-pre-loaded-games/

L-lead-hand-755x425.jpg

****ing hell yeah! A classic console I can get excited about!

Though I still have my original... I’m guessing Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid will be coming to this thing too

****ing hell yeah! A classic console I can get excited about!

Though I still have my original... I’m guessing Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid will be coming to this thing too
Due to licensing issues you won't see sports games here. Maybe a whacky sports game, but nothing with licensed stuff FIFA, Madden, CMR, TOCA, GT etc

Due to licensing issues you won't see sports games here. Maybe a whacky sports game, but nothing with licensed stuff FIFA, Madden, CMR, TOCA, GT etc
Fine with me, only sports game I played was IIS Pro, which had no licenced players or teams as far as I can remember.

EDIT: Also worth remembering that Tekken 3 isn't avaliable digitally due to licencing issues around the character Gon.

I’ve been trying to think of other PS1 games I’d like, other than GT and MGS; Smackdown 2, Syphon Filter, Ape Escape (though that came bundled with the Dual Shock)... Crash Bandicoot, Abes Odessy, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, Symphony of the Night...

Last edited:
This is pretty cool but I'd rather power up my PSX and be able to play my discs!

Neat, but just like the NES and SNES, this is just a novelty. You can (legally) buy digital versions of a lot of these games to begin with. I don't know if all 20 games were announced yet, but surely they will be the greatest hits of the era, most of which you can probably get on PS3 as a PS Classic.

Still, though, I hope it is a hit like the Nintendos for the people who want to pretend they have their old consoles again. I would love to relive my childhood, hitting that big power button and hearing those startup sounds again. 👍

Eh, I'll pass at that price. No DualShock also means no chance of Ape Escape too, which would have been a killer app to have on the measly list of 20 games.

I'll inevitably end up with one at some point as a collector (I said I'd never buy the NES Classic and so on but eventually did), but at the moment there isn't enough info to really sway me for a day one purchase.

If Sony expanded on this as some sort of retro gaming hub as opposed to just a plug and play like the Nintendo mini systems, they could be on to something. They could offer extra packs of games on pseudo memory cards and add to it, as well as offer an optional DualShock controller later down the line.

Then again, you could also get a PSTV used for like £40, a £30 PSN card and have the majority of the decent PS1 titles on PSN already for less, and it would do more. Or just download the PSN titles on PS3 you'd like, and pick up copies of games not on the store and play them that way.

A little bit unexpected... and yet expected all at the same time.

Chances are next year we'll see a PS2 Jnr. or something.

Original controllers are undoubtedly a move to keep costs down, but the 32-bit era is when analog really became useful, nevermind DualShock. I mean, I remember playing MGS with the d-pad... but I don't necessarily want to again.

The NES classic and SNES Classic appealed to me because I had no modern way to play them. But my PS1 collection is still alive and well, and works great on my PS3. I already own three versions of FFVII too, so that's got zero appeal, especially since the PS4 version is best. The Crash Remastered trilogy also makes the potential addition of the originals here feel pretty silly too.

I own Tekken 3 too, but it is a fantastic game. Jumping Flash is fun too. I never did play Wild Arms, so I'm curious about it. I wonder what other games will arrive? GTA? FFIX or Tactics? Syphon Filter? Twisted Metal?

There's some speculation that this may accept additional games. If it does, whether through proprietary media or the PSN store, that'd be cool. But then it just makes me wonder why we can't have PS1 BC on PS4...

I'd be very, very surprised if GT shows up, but if it does, that may tip me into buying it. I own the PS1 classics, but it'd be cool to have them within that classic shrunken down shape too. Unless an N64 Classic is coming up; I feel like that'd have more must-haves, and be more party-friendly with four controllers...

Microsoft's response to PS Classic:

You get an idea of how they are trying to throw shade, but the execution was poor. :yuck:

I’ve been trying to think of other PS1 games I’d like, other than GT and MGS; Smackdown 2, Syphon Filter, Ape Escape (though that came bundled with the Dual Shock)... Crash Bandicoot, Abes Odessy, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, Symphony of the Night...
Good choices.

I would also add Overboard, Tenchu, Croc, FFVII, FFVIII, ESPN Extreme Games, Theme Park,
Jumping Flash, Mega Man: Legends, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, James Bond: TND,
Broken Sword 2, Discworld and Tomb Raider.

Too bad sports games aren't being considered. The NHL, Nascar and F1 games would have been nice otherwise.

But then it just makes me wonder why we can't have PS1 BC on PS4

Then they couldn't sell you a $100 mini console that replicates what a $30 Raspberry Pi and a YouTube Tutorial can do. But I do agree, all future consoles that use discs should allow for emulation of previous disc-based games. I can't imagine from a technical perspective it's all that complicated to do since MS adds more stuff monthly to the XB1.

GT1 or GT2 would obviously be guaranteed under normal circumstances, but with these games being a licensing nightmare I wouldn't expect it. They are huge, flagship PS1 titles though so maybe there's some outside chance Sony pulled some strings. But if either was included, I'd imagine they'd have shown it off already instead of Ridge Racer.

Sadly, PD's Motor Toon Grand Prix probably has a better chance of making this than GT1 or GT2. Still looking forward to all the other games it may feature, even if I'm already satisfied with my PS1 disc collection.

Also, makes me wonder if they'll allow digital titles to be purchased and transferred via USB from PS4, given there's so many PS1 titles on the PS Store wasting away to PS4 owners who can't play them on Sony's flagship console. It definitely seems like it's a closed system but given Sony hasn't announced the other 15 games, maybe they have some more surprises up their sleeve?

Original PSX's aren't expensive though and can run on both PS2 and PS3's!

That's a point - I do have a fully functional PS2 Slim lying around on a shelf somewhere. However I need a new controller for it as, if I remember rightly, the D-Pad has died.

I'm surprised Sony actually made it but if it renders the same as PS1, i'm not bothered.

Im hoping they'll release it with (at least 720p) HD, 60fps and fixed Polygonal grid, like PGXP. People are paying $100 at the end of the day, it should be something new.

Also sell dualshocks individually.

Last edited:
Good choices.

I would also add Overboard, Tenchu, Croc, FFVII, FFVIII, ESPN Extreme Games, Theme Park,
Jumping Flash, Mega Man: Legends, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, James Bond: TND,
Broken Sword 2, Discworld and Tomb Raider.

Too bad sports games aren't being considered. The NHL, Nascar and F1 games would have been nice otherwise.
Ohh Silent Hill is a great shout!!
I can’t imagine we’ll get multiple of one franchise though with only 20 games on the system.

Tomb Raider is a bit of a mess, I’d hope for 2 rather than the original.
But I’m also hoping for a bigger focus on Japanese games, as most PSX titles are available on PSP, PS3/4 and VITA, would be nice for some ‘exclusives’ to be on the system, kinda like Nintendo did with Starfox2

Latest Posts

Back