Playstation Classic

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 244 comments
Microsoft's response to PS Classic:

You get an idea of how they are trying to throw shade, but the execution was poor. :yuck:

Yep, I get what they were trying to say, but the copywriter should've worked on that a bit more. It's not "free" — you just don't have to pay twice for games you already own. No snappy way to really convey that, unfortunately.
Licencing issues are a pain, but if they can get the rights to use Gon on this for Tekken 3, then maybe these boxes are a ‘solution’. The problem with digital licences is that they can expire, as the MvC2 (or 3 I don’t remember)stuff did, when the Capcom licence to sell Marvel characters expired, that game and all DLC went offline and you cannot buy it anymore, at all.

Little boxes like this could mean that, for this example, Capcom pay for the Marvel rights on this little box and that’s it. So in theory licenced games could come to the system that have otherwise not been available legally anywhere since the initial launch of that game

Yeah, it was MvC2. Then it came back for a little bit, only to once again disappear. Same with Scott Pilgrim vs the World. :(

That's a good point, however, that opens up the chance — however slight — of GT being included. Getting the licenses sorted for a digital version with a limited timeframe is one thing, but a package-deal like this, with the price tag it has, may make it possible. GT1 would be the likely candidate, since it has far less ground to cover than GT2 in terms of licenses.

Maybe PD will be included anyway, just under its previous name, with Motor Toon Grand Prix. :P

Well this certainly has me intrigued, the fact it has an HDMI port and the ability to suspend games certainly has my attention. Those controllers however are shorter than my attention span on a Saturday evening and it mentions a virtual drive, but it doesn't mention being able to run discs, both of which I am not fond of. However I will probably wait until more info about it is released because they really haven't revealed enough about it in my opinion.

One I thing I feel people are forgetting about is the disc drive on the original PS1 is noticeably bigger than the disc itself.
psGameOpen.jpg

That said, I am not expecting it to read discs, but I am skeptical about these claims of it not being able to fit one.
I never got into gaming on a phone. Touch controls are horrible and the screen too small.
Agreed, I also have similar feelings about playing them on a PC. For me, no experience is better than playing it on an actual console.

Well this certainly has me intrigued, the fact it has an HDMI port and the ability to suspend games certainly has my attention. Those controllers however are shorter than my attention span on a Saturday evening and it mentions a virtual drive, but it doesn't mention being able to run discs, both of which I am not fond of. However I will probably wait until more info about it is released because they really haven't revealed enough about it in my opinion.

One I thing I feel people are forgetting about is the disc drive on the original PS1 is noticeably bigger than the disc itself.
psGameOpen.jpg

That said, I am not expecting it to read discs, but I am skeptical about these claims of it not being able to fit one.
Agreed, I also have similar feelings about playing them on a PC. For me, no experience is better than playing it on an actual console.

The arcade experience still bests the console experience though in my opinion (arcade games). Unfortunately I lack the funds or space to start collecting. I do have a friend that has almost every relevant Console since the NES so I can get my console fix once in a while on a high quality Sony PVM Monitor.

Here's a much better size comparison:
playstation_classic_02_2802.jpg

Kind of having a hard time visualizing how big the disc is on this scale though....
a disc is about 1cm smaller than the edge of the lid maybe 1.5, roughly... so bigger than the actual case of the PSX Classic

For the original? I don't remember it being that big, but then again I unwillingly sold mine about 10 years ago so what do I know.... :indiff:

Maybe, to be honest, I just put a disc on my PS3 controller and it's easily bigger than that. That PS3 contoller shares a very similar shape and size to the original PSX controllers and they are bigger than the PSX Classic

Hardware emulation of the PS3 is never going to happen, at least not for a long time.
That's software emulation... something Sony already does via le cloud
Which is why I said hardware emulation and... no... that software emulation on PC requires decent rigs (even modest rigs outperform a PS4) and then it doesn't support all games.
I'm curious how you think you're using those terms. Whether something uses all or parts of actual system hardware to accomplish its emulation of said system is completely unrelated to whether something can load games directly off of the original format for the console it is emulating.

I can imagine why, arcade games do look fun!
I know. To rephrase a bit, I thought the gap between the edge of the lid on the and the disc was bigger than that on the original, but again, I got rid of mine a long time ago.

Just realised you are younger and missed out on the times you could actually play Tekken 3 in the arcade.

I'm curious how you think you're using those terms.

hardware emulation - hardware is doing the emulating, or literally the original chips, like OG PS3's just had a PS2 bolted to the motherboard
software emulation - software is emulating the hardware in a virtual machine type environment.

I used it in this case because to build a cell processor or something that physically mimics it, would be a costly waste of time. Even slapping the fairly cheap emotion engine inside the PS3 was deemed too expensive to bother with after the first generation of launch PS3’s.

If I’m using these terms incorrectly I apologise, it just seems the easiest way to differentiate between the two methods of emulation.

I'm curious how you think you're using those terms. Whether something uses all or parts of actual system hardware to accomplish its emulation of said system is completely unrelated to whether something can load games directly off of the original format for the console it is emulating.

I got the gest. He meant hardware compatibility, thats why I got confused earlier since software emulation was already there.

Maybe, to be honest, I just put a disc on my PS3 controller and it's easily bigger than that. That PS3 contoller shares a very similar shape and size to the original PSX controllers and they are bigger than the PSX Classic

Are you looking to mod your ps to fit inside a ps mini? I am already 100% they are not going to accept PS cd's.

Are you looking to mod your ps to fit inside a ps mini? I am already 100% they are not going to accept PS cd's.

:lol:
I'm kinda thinking of modding the internals to go into a PS2 slim's case, then I can have two DVD style boxes on my shelf with my movies and games that are actual consoles

Interesting.
Just realised you are younger and missed out on the times you could actually play Tekken 3 in the arcade.
Not quite. A skating rink I used to go to a long time ago had it at the arcade, but I was never able to play it since I had no change. :(
Hopefully it'll got a wifi to purchase and download additional PS1 games, though.
I myself am hoping the same thing.

:lol:
I'm kinda thinking of modding the internals to go into a PS2 slim's case, then I can have two DVD style boxes on my shelf with my movies and games that are actual consoles

That would be a great mod! I have seen pc's built into the original NES before. It will be incredible hard to pull off though.

Interesting.
Not quite. A skating rink I used to go to a long time ago had it at the arcade, but I was never able to play it since I had no change. :(
I myself am hoping the same thing.

But you are definately too young to have stood in line to challenge the local Streetfighter 2 champ at the arcade.;)

Given how people have modded the Atari Flashback to read cartridges and how some people (myself included) have modded original GBA's to have a back light, that makes me wonder if maybe people will try to modify these to read discs somehow in the future, possibly through an external disc drive.
But you are definately too young to have stood in line to challenge the local Streetfighter 2 champ at the arcade.;)
I've never even played that game. I have played a demo of Tekken 3 that was included in a bonus disc for Ridge Racer Type 4, which ironically Ridge Racer Type 4 was shown in the reveal video for the PS Classic.

Given that all Sony systems have a reputation for being good bases to install custom firmware (such as the PSP and PS3; the former ironically is mostly used as a portable PS1 emulator), I can't imagine it'd be too difficult to crack into one of these.

Hell, they managed to run new software through the Switch online service in less than a day, so a mini PC with (presumably) no internet access should be a doddle. :P

Nearly 8000 Playstation games released and this gets 20? Quite pathetic.

And I haven't even heard of 2 of the 5 mentioned so far.

Eight. Thousand. Games.
I find that absolutely incredible and would never had guessed there were that many :eek:

hardware emulation - hardware is doing the emulating, or literally the original chips, like OG PS3's just had a PS2 bolted to the motherboard
software emulation - software is emulating the hardware in a virtual machine type environment.

I used it in this case because to build a cell processor or something that physically mimics it, would be a costly waste of time. Even slapping the fairly cheap emotion engine inside the PS3 was deemed too expensive to bother with after the first generation of launch PS3’s.

If I’m using these terms incorrectly I apologise, it just seems the easiest way to differentiate between the two methods of emulation.
My apologies. I misread Robin's original in the discussion.

Those controllers sure are going to suck. If they were styled like the originals but wireless, that would be far more convenient for monging out and running the HDMI onto a big screen or projector in a bar/pub/event. But then I suppose it would lose part of its appeal of being 'faithful' to the original (despite being a third the size anyway).

And yeah, 20 games? As tempting as it is it sounds like a glorified key ring. I swear I did used to actually have a PS1 key ring.

Something I am wanting to know is what resolution does it use for games and does it play them in full screen? Hope they reveal more information on this soon.
Those controllers sure are going to suck. If they were styled like the originals but wireless, that would be far more convenient
Agreed. After looking at these pictures, especially the instruction booklet, I wonder if the system is using USB ports for it's controllers and could potentially support PS3 and PS4 controllers.
playstation_classic_01_1920.jpg

PS-CLASSIC-008.jpg

Back