Mazda Might Bring Back the MX-6 Coupe According to a Trademark Filing

I'd like to se the MX-6 brought back to life and sold here in the land of SUVs. I'd definitely get one, provided it has a manual transmission.

Oh my goodness. A coupe using the Kodo design? I am already breathless. I'll probably die if Mazda does make it.

Please automotive Gods let it happen:bowdown:

I'd definitely get one, provided it has a manual transmission.
You wouldn't though, would you?

Nobody on the internet who says "I'd buy x as long as it has y" ever actually buys x even if it does have y, which is why manufacturers inevitably end up making z instead and slowly removing y from their options lists.

Nobody on the internet who says "I'd buy x as long as it has y" ever actually buys x even if it does have y, which is why manufacturers inevitably end up making z instead and slowly removing y from their options lists.
Didn't you know everything has to have 500hp, AWD, a manual and weigh 2500lbs!?!

You got me. Sorry about that. I guess I cannot make random declarations about getting a car that I may be interested in, anymore.

Uncalled for. He didn't make a demand or chastise Mazda, and he didn't exactly specify new or used, which relates to your point but makes it an unnecessary reply.

What's with this need to project and pick on people over this? Not just you alone. Mocking people over a purchase criterion that has no impact on anyone else's life, gloating over the slow demise of something harmless that others value...and it stems from this assumption that it really could have been stopped by individual enthusiasts going out of their way to purchase new manual transmission cars. Looking at the way things are swinging now, do you really still believe that?

The direction the industry is headed is already discouraging enough for some enthusiasts like myself without members of a community like this making others feel unwelcome just for standing by a preference, without twisting any facts or casting judgment on others first. I support the correction of facts and poor attitudes on this subject. A plain opinion/preference isn't hurting anything.

Last edited:
My first car was actually the MX6 V6, and while it wasn't the quickest, it was actually pretty zippy and had a nice note to it.

Uncalled for.
Also tongue-in-cheek (unless you thought I was being serious that literally nobody on the internet goes out and buys a car they say they're going to buy). People saying they'd buy something "as long as it's a manual" is like someone on Jalopnik saying they'd definitely buy something if it was a brown, diesel, manual, rear-wheel drive wagon (see @SlipZtrEm's post above). But apologies to @Dopplegagger if it looked like I was having a go at you. Must remember to use emojis next time.

Though since you jumped on it @Wolfe, I'll bite anyway: if as many people actually bought manual transmission vehicles as bang on about them on the internet, they probably would be more frequent. It's basic demand and supply. Same goes for any other dead horse enthusiasts like to kick. Money talks.

Yes, it sucks that the "right" kind of cars won't be around in a decade's time for people to pick up cheaply, but that's just life. It also sucks that Nissan 240Zs have shot up in price in the last few years and I probably won't get to own one, but then I don't furnish every thread on GTP with "I'd definitely buy a straight-six sports car if such-and-such company made it" because that obviously isn't gonna happen, apart from in maybe a three-year window fifteen years down the line when it's depreciated enough but not yet become a classic.

Doesthismeanwe'llseethereturnoftherotary?
No. The MX-3 and MX-6 were both piston-engined four-pot (1.5 and 1.6 for the MX-3, 2.0 for the MX-6) and V6 petrols (1.8 for the MX-3, 2.5 for the MX-6) and never saw rotary power. The V6, by the way, is brilliant in all guises, but particularly the 1.8 :D

Mazda is planning to include a rotary in its line-up, but only as a range-extender for an electric car.

No. The MX-3 and MX-6 were both piston-engined four-pot (1.5 and 1.6 for the MX-3, 2.0 for the MX-6) and V6 petrols (1.8 for the MX-3, 2.5 for the MX-6) and never saw rotary power. The V6, by the way, is brilliant in all guises, but particularly the 1.8 :D

Mazda is planning to include a rotary in its line-up, but only as a range-extender for an electric car.

He's not lying. Listen to this thing (obviously heavily modified):

Sounds like half of a Ferrari 812

The 1.8 V6 in an MX-3 is still among the smoothest engines I've driven short of a rotary or a V12. I expect the 2-litre and 2.5-litre versions are similarly smooth. (For good sound videos, check out anything involving a BTCC Mondeo from the 1990s, as that used a Mazda V6 on ITBs too).

I did ask some Mazda engineers on a Skyactiv event whether they'd consider reintroducing V6s, now that their engine technology has allowed for significantly improved economy. They told me it was an interesting idea, but unlikely, sadly.

The 1.8 V6 in an MX-3 is still among the smoothest engines I've driven short of a rotary or a V12. I expect the 2-litre and 2.5-litre versions are similarly smooth. (For good sound videos, check out anything involving a BTCC Mondeo from the 1990s, as that used a Mazda V6 on ITBs too).

I did ask some Mazda engineers on a Skyactiv event whether they'd consider reintroducing V6s, now that their engine technology has allowed for significantly improved economy. They told me it was an interesting idea, but unlikely, sadly.

I suspect that the V6 engine itself is not long for this world sadly. Turbo 4's make similar if not better figures and their refinement is generally good enough. Combine that with the huge on-paper efficiency gulf between them, and the V6 configuration becomes a hard sell. The inline-6 will likely outlive the V6 simply because it's ability to be part of a modular engine family. Of all the piston-engine configurations, it's probably my favorite (interestingly, I've never owned a car with a V6)....great power, great refinement (in most cases) great sound, and great packaging.

The brutal competitiveness (combined with increasingly strong regulation) of the auto industry is going to continually homogenize it....the only way any companies will survive is to merge/share/modularize/simplify/cut. I genuinely believe the best days are behind us in terms of the diversity of the automotive landscape....I expect we will see bigger and bigger mergers or at least broader collaborations/partnerships. I suspect that diversity will still exist, but only at the six-figure price range and up.

I may have gone off topic.

It also sucks that Nissan 240Zs have shot up in price in the last few years and I probably won't get to own one, but then I don't furnish every thread on GTP with "I'd definitely buy a straight-six sports car if such-and-such company made it" because that obviously isn't gonna happen, apart from in maybe a three-year window fifteen years down the line when it's depreciated enough but not yet become a classic.
It's alright though. C4s are still worthless.

Also tongue-in-cheek (unless you thought I was being serious that literally nobody on the internet goes out and buys a car they say they're going to buy). People saying they'd buy something "as long as it's a manual" is like someone on Jalopnik saying they'd definitely buy something if it was a brown, diesel, manual, rear-wheel drive wagon (see @SlipZtrEm's post above). But apologies to @Dopplegagger if it looked like I was having a go at you. Must remember to use emojis next time.
It didn't seem good-natured to me, no. Mutual respect is all I'm asking for.

Though since you jumped on it @Wolfe, I'll bite anyway: if as many people actually bought manual transmission vehicles as bang on about them on the internet, they probably would be more frequent. It's basic demand and supply. Same goes for any other dead horse enthusiasts like to kick. Money talks.
I know you know many of those voices, probably the majority, are teenagers and young adults who have no money for that. I don't think your hypothetical is realistic. I understand the frustration over repeated refrains, but I have never been comfortable with the implication that you can only express a preference or lament your options if you can back it up with a large sum of money.

"Buy new manual transmission cars" is the correct and practical answer to the question, "How can we save the manual?" It is the reality. But it is a condescending response to someone who can only search for MT cars on a smaller budget, or who shares their $0.02 on a car that most people sharing their comments will never drive anyway. Gabbing about cars you have no honest intention (or ability) to buy unless maybe if you won the lottery is the backbone of what we all do here.

Anyway, if it was not your intention to have a go at @Dopplegagger, I have no more to say in continuing off-topic.

Last edited:
It's alright though. C4s are still worthless.
Genuinely cheaper than 240Zs in the UK too.
It didn't seem good-natured to me, no. Mutual respect is all I'm asking for.

I know you know many of those voices, probably the majority, are teenagers and young adults who have no money for that. I don't think your hypothetical is realistic. I understand the frustration over repeated refrains, but I have never been comfortable with the implication that you can only express a preference or lament your options if you can back it up with a large sum of money.

"Buy new manual transmission cars" is the correct and practical answer to the question, "How can we save the manual?" It is the reality. But it is a condescending response to someone who can only search for MT cars on a smaller budget, or who shares their $0.02 on a car that most people sharing their comments will never drive anyway. Gabbing about cars you have no honest intention (or ability) to buy unless maybe if you won the lottery is the backbone of what we all do here.
Let's take a few steps backwards here.

The basis of your argument is that I'm chastising people who can't afford to buy brand new cars for wanting manuals in everything, when that's not at all the case, would be illogical to do so. As you note, many of us here regularly discuss vehicles we can't afford.

But maybe @Dopplegagger isn't a poor destitute gamer like the rest of us apparently are and could write a check tomorrow for a manual MX-6 if Mazda made one. Statistically speaking though, he probably wouldn't, which is why manufacturers don't offer them. That is the situation I'm commenting on.

If your response to a throwaway comment is a three-paragraph tirade to say I'm mocking people, gloating, making people feel unwelcome, twisting facts, casting judgement and being condescending (did I miss any?), somehow all in the space of a line or two, then I feel like it's out of proportion to either my attitude or the content of my post.

Latest Posts

Back