5 reasons GT6 is a PS4 game

• Thread starter Mulan
  • 709 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would a PS4 game take 5 years to develop if GT6 was a PS3 game? That's not a normal amount of time to develop a game whoever you are or whatever you're doing on whatever hardware. Yes I know GT5 took a long time and we're talking about PD but at some point they're going to need to get faster in their work.

Also you have to remember according to them premium cars are next gen ready thereabouts and considering they say car modelling took 60% of their entire dev time whether they make a game for PS3 or PS4 shouldn't be massively different time wise if most of your time is already taken modelling PS4 assets anyway.

SimonK
Why would a PS4 game take 5 years to develop if GT6 was a PS3 game? That's not a normal amount of time to develop a game whoever you are or whatever you're doing on whatever hardware. Yes I know GT5 took a long time and we're talking about PD but at some point they're going to need to get faster in their work.

Also you have to remember according to them premium cars are next gen ready thereabouts and considering they say car modelling took 60% of their entire dev time whether they make a game for PS3 or PS4 shouldn't be massively different time wise if most of your time is already taken modelling PS4 assets anyway.

True but, I'm guessing Sony had a hand in the delay and if they want a release title, then it will be. 5 years was a number not fact but new gen = new engine So wod be long. And if livery editor and all the other bit people want are adding, even more time on those cars. Open doors/ hood thing would mean revisiting every car again (to make the door seals and engine bay as accurate as forzas is)

New gen doesn't mean new engine necessarily. They will certainly modify and update the engine but I don't see any need to start from scratch again. Yes they will need more work but all i'm saying is there is no reason to just expect a 5 year dev cycle per GT game. GT5 was, hopefully, a one off.

If I am not mistaken. PD showed in their studio tour some time ago, that they have a big database with all their cars and tracks. I think that this database might be completletly free from the used playstation generation at the time. It might not be so hard to bring all of this to the PS4.

We all have to remind the release of Gran Turismo HD concept that came just under a year after the ps3. They already had the graphics, car models, tracks and physics prepared for the PS3. So I believe that PD is fully capable of releasing GT6 directly on the PS3.

I think we are in the same situation as in the time before the PS3 have been released. The PS2 came out in late 2000 with GT3 in 2001. GT4 was released 4 years later in 2004. [GT5 was released in 2012 (4 years later than the inital PS3 release.] They didnt released GT5 on the PS2 two years later, because they waited for the PS3. Now we have the same situation as on the PS2. The only difference is, that there was not GT that came out under a year after the release of the PS3. GT HD and GT5:P dont count here.

And you belive now, that they still release it for the PS3 two and a half year after GT5? No, they will wait for the PS4.

Last edited:
Well time will tell, either way I'm in but prefer ps4. With a new wheel released too (bit cheaper - g27 is old now)

Ofcourse it's going to be a PS4 release.

New IP's were almost nonexistent at this year's E3. You know why? Because MS, Sony and especially Nintendo are focussing on the launch of their next console. Sony was the only first party developer to show some new IP's (the Last of Us for example).

Or in other words: you can forget about big new games on current gen consoles. Your only chance is third party games, like Watch Dogs. GT6 however will be on PS4, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Ofcourse it's going to be a PS4 release.

New IP's were almost nonexistent at this year's E3. You know why? Because MS, Sony and especially Nintendo are focussing on the launch of their next console. Sony was the only first party developer to show some new IP's (the Last of Us for example).

Or in other words: you can forget about big new games on current gen consoles. Your only chance is third party games, like Watch Dogs. GT6 however will be on PS4.

You really need to avoid statements like this.

One reason GT6 will be on the PS3 is that I just bought a new PS3 after my old Fatty broke down and I hereby inform Kaz that buying 2 consoles of the same gen is already too much and something I wasn't planning to do, having only one full GT-title for 2 consoles is therefor a big no no.

If I'm snubbed and Kaz does release GT6 for the PS4, I'll go for the Ferruccio Lamborghini approach and take a quick course in game programming.
Be afraid, be very afraid!

s_PolePosition_2.png

analog
having only one full GT-title for 2 consoles is therefor a big no no.

That's not the way to look at it Annie.
There's about 6 full titles out.

Regular
Collectors
Signature
XL
Academy version.

Oh about 5 then. Still good though. All in glorious 3D O'vision.

Edit. Hope they do a Lego GT.

2: GT5 is as good as it gets on todays consoles, to get something worth called GT6 it needs more horsepower. PS4 will bring that.

Are you serious? It's obvious GT5 could have been better. To say it's as good as a racing game can get this generation is ridiculous.

analog
One reason GT6 will be on the PS3 is that I just bought a new PS3 after my old Fatty broke down and I hereby inform Kaz that buying 2 consoles of the same gen is already too much and something I wasn't planning to do, having only one full GT-title for 2 consoles is therefor a big no no.

If I'm snubbed and Kaz does release GT6 for the PS4, I'll go for the Ferruccio Lamborghini approach and take a quick course in game programming.

I'm on fatty, so 1 game one console for me. GT5 took TOO long and to late to release a new game, GT5 euro edition isn't even out yet. If it's next year, maybe the ps3 but to soon, year after it is more likely but then so is the ps4 if rumours are correct. 2 years is by far enough time to design, create and produce a new console
Draw your attention to this
http://www.officialplaystationmagaz...3-sequels-that-cant-wait-for-playstation-ps4/
First 5 and last one is correct

s_PolePosition_2.png
:lol:

Well, you already got qualifying implemented, so you've already got one leg up on GT5.

I dont think you can compare GTA game with GT and releasenumbers.
GTA is more about story. Like a movie, you want to explore new world, new characters and so on. THose things are nonexistent in GT. What you can have are new tracks and cars. For taht you dont need a GT6, a addon pack will do great instead.
But for a sim, more realistic graphics, effects and so on are really important. I just cant see that this is possible on PS3 from current GT5. And by the way...do you think its possible for them to split the community playing GT on ps3 with all the ongoing events in countries? No, to do a real split and a worthy one that contributes with many new features and updates there has to be new hardware. But as i said before. Possible that GT6 on ps4 will be a addonpack for GT5 with the same cars and perhaps tracks.
That will be the final game on PS3. Im certain that if they release GT6 on PS3 then they have to support it for a long time at the same time PS4 is out and they have to focus on that too. Dont think they can manage with that. If they do that then i can say that GT for PS4 is like 5 years away and there will be other gamemakers that will take over the spot as the best sim from PD....Kaz isnt that stupid to allow it.

Update: Analyst claims the PS4 could be released in 2014, a year after the Xbox 720 and two years after Nintendo's Wii U

Since its incarnation in 2006, the Sony Playstation 3 has been the console of choice for gaming nuts – over 50m units have been sold worldwide so far - with its integrated Blu-ray player and a host of other capabilities making it the darling of the games industry.

But while fanboys continue to hype up its credentials, a spate of rumours are pointing to the launch of a next generation PlayStation console – the PS4 or Orbis.

Despite reports of the PS4/Orbis being rife since last year, details of the what the console will look like, when it will be out and how much is will cost have been shrouded in mystery.

Nonetheless, we’ve scoured the web to paint a picture of what to expect from Sony’s fourth PlayStation.

When is the PS4 out?

Release dates of future consoles are always a hot topic and the launch of the rumoured PS4 is no exception.

When the PlayStation 3 was launched back in 2006, Sony declared the console had a ten-year lifecycle, so it wouldn't be introducing a new console until the PS3's shelf life expired.

The gaming giant was confident the tech inside the PS3 was 'future proof' and this appeared to quash rumours of a PS4 release before 2016.

However, with rumours abound that Microsoft and Nintendo will both be announcing their next-generation consoles - the Xbox 720 and Wii U - later this year, experts believe Sony could may well follow suit.

According to a source speaking to Kotaku, a games blog, a handful of developers have already been given development kits for the new console. The kits are still in beta stage but are likely to be finalised by the end of 2012, according to reports.

This will give the developers time to practice and could possibly mean the console will be ready by Christmas 2013 or by 2014. However, Sony dealt a massive blow to fans eager to see a new console at E3 2012.

Sony CEO Kaz Hirai said: “We are not making any announcements at E3.” He also supported the ten year life span of the console saying that he “Always said a ten year life cycle for PS3, and there is no reason to go away from that."

Update: M2 Research analyst Billy Pidgeon, believes the PS3 will continue to sell well throughout the remainder of 2012, as well as next year, when the price is expected to be reduced to $150.

This could, in theory, help the console overtake the Xbox 360 in terms of global sales, therefore it would make sense for Sony to release its new console the year after, he claims.

What will it be like?

With technology rapidly improving there are no guarantees that the rumoured specification will remain the same.

One source again at Kotaku has leaked some basic information about the specification. The console is rumoured to have an AMD x64 CPU and 28nm AMD Southern Islands graphics power.

This is a massive shock to fans who believe that the device could be much more powerful.

These chips aren’t the most powerful that AMD offers. Could the PS3 be stepping away from offering the best graphics and attempt an innovation drive like the Wii?

Games website IGN believes the console will have AMD's A8-3850 APU and a Radeon HD 7670 GPU.

The console is also likely to have a quad-core processor similar to the one found in the Playstation Vita, but with a 2.9 GHZ processor, according to reports.

Will it have backwards compatibility?

Sony initially offered backwards compatibility for PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games on the PlayStation 3.

This went down well with fans, who could enjoy a vast back catalogue of classic games.

However, once the PS3 Slim was released, backwards compatibility was dropped with Sony citing it was too expensive to keep offering it.

The PS4 is likely not to be backwards compatible on this basis with sources all agreeing that the console will not allow you to play PS3 games.

Sony may offer them to download via the next version of the PlayStation Store, like they have with original PlayStation and PS2 classics.

title: Sony PS4: Specs & compatibility / url: Specs-compatibility

What will it be called?

Reports have emerged that the PS4 will be called Orbis, which means ring or circle in Latin.

But if you combine it with Vita, the PlayStation handheld, it means the ‘circle of life’.

This could mean that the PS Vita will play a big role in the makeup of the new console.

Used games?

The games industry has been unhappy for a long time about the sale of pre-owned games. The developers get no return on these games; the money raised for them goes directly to the company that sells them.

EA have tried to combat this recently by giving only one code to new games to be played online. This means second hand game buyers have to purchase another code if they wish to play the game online.

Sony might follow a similar tactic and lock games to one particular PlayStation account. If users want to use the game on another account they will have to pay to ‘unlock’ the game for use by another account.

However, it’s unknown yet whether users will be able to get around this by signing in on a different console.

Suspected specs

Games site VGLeaks recently published a list of PS4 specs - handed over to them by a source - which indicates, among other things, the PS3 will be 10x more powerful than the Xbox 720. They are as follows:

TLDR SPECS

CPU

* 4 core (2 core pairs) 3.2 GHz AMD x86 (Steamroller)
* aggregate, 10x PS3 PPU performance
* 512 KByte L2 per core pair
* 64 bit pointers

GPU

* AMD R10x series GPU @ 800 MHz (Tahiti)
* aggregate 10x RSX performance, 1.84 TFlops
* DX”11.5″
* cheap branching
* 18 compute units, focus on fine grained compute & tessellation

MEMORY:

* 2 GByte UMA, pushing for 4 GByte
* 192 GByte/ sec non-coherent access for e.g. GPU
* 12 GByte/ sec coherent access for CPU
* >50% longer memory latency for CPU/ GPU compared to PC!!!
* DXT is lowest bpp texture compression format

MEDIA:

* 50 GByte BD drive
* PCAV, between 3.3 and 8x BD, most likely clamped to 6x
* automatic background caching to HDD
* HDD SKU with at least 380 GByte
* downloadable games

EXTRA HARDWARE:

* video encoder/ decoder
* audio processing unit, 200 concurrent MP3 streams
* HW zlib decompressor

Snaeper
That link proves nothing, in case you were trying to prove something by sharing it. It did have a nice post by a user who was crunching some numbers and predicts a 2013 GT release, and since a PS4 would've been teased by now (if it was releasing in 2013), I'm assuming we'll see the PS4 in 2014, which makes it a year late to the party.

But even that was using lots of if's, and's and but's.

The thread shouldn't proof what i said. I linked the thread, because this thread talkes about the same topic

Bluntified
Here's one reason why it's gonna be on the PS3, it's already next Gen! Despite RAM, the PS3 is far superior than most machines out there. This thing has a 6 core processor, what do you know of that has that kinda power? Not to mention natively supporting the highest capacity medium out there (Blu Ray), even if it's Sony made.

The PS3 has a long time to go.

Haha. The PS3 is not a Next Gen console. It has a huge RAM problem and a GPU which was outdated in 2006. It is a Current Gen console like the Xbox 360.

Games site VGLeaks recently published a list of PS4 specs - handed over to them by a source - which indicates, among other things, the PS3 will be 10x more powerful than the Xbox 720. They are as follows:

Haha, where is all of that rubbish from? I'm assuming PS3 is a typo for PS4 but even still, what a stupid notion that it will be more than 10 times more powerful than the next Xbox.

SimonK
Haha, where is all of that rubbish from? I'm assuming PS3 is a typo for PS4 but even still, what a stupid notion that it will be more than 10 times more powerful than the next Xbox.

Loads of stuffs been leaked. Xbox specs too plus kinect 2.0 idea etc. Not new but that spec sheet looks a bit old compared to recent rumours. Xbox is gonna be released next year or they would of shown it at e3 this year, 2014 q3 release for both. Sony ain't gonna be late to the party this time

It's all just rumours though and if you think the PS is going to be 10x as powerful as the Xbox you're crackers.

SimonK
It's all just rumours though and if you think the PS is going to be 10x as powerful as the Xbox you're crackers.

Go back 8 years and look at the ps3 rumour spec list. Could be history repeating it self.....

SimonK
Not sure I follow your point?

I ment the spec list for ps3, including the unannounced Blu-ray player at the time. So why wouldn't this year be any different from 8 years ago. Specs look good and possible, thing I'm worried about is the design. The bit that eludes me is the dropping of the Cell processor which Sony help develop for the ps3, better specs I welcome but the Cell was one thing that xbox might never have (on top of bluray).

How can one say that the PS4 is going to be 10x more powerful than the next Xbox, when we don't know what the specs for the next Xbox is going to be?

The XBox not having CELL to deal with was a good thing for the 360, and Sony getting rid of it for the next system would be a good thing for Sony.

I ment the spec list for ps3, including the unannounced Blu-ray player at the time. So why wouldn't this year be any different from 8 years ago. Specs look good and possible, thing I'm worried about is the design. The bit that eludes me is the dropping of the Cell processor which Sony help develop for the ps3, better specs I welcome but the Cell was one thing that xbox might never have (on top of bluray).

How can one say that the PS4 is going to be 10x more powerful than the next Xbox, when we don't know what the specs for the next Xbox is going to be?

Yes that's all I was really commenting on, not the validity of those PS4 specs, rather the ridiculous notion that it will be 10x the power of the Xbox which just isn't going to happen.

The XBox not having CELL to deal with was a good thing for the 360, and Sony getting rid of it for the next system would be a good thing for Sony.
True. During the first years of the PS3 it was much easier to develop games for the 360, because of the head start of the 360 and because of the complexity of the cell processor. But Sony has a history of 'doing things differently'. Remember ATRAC, Memory Stick Duo cards, etc? I sure hope they won't do anything stupid with the PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back