5 reasons GT6 is a PS4 game

• Thread starter Mulan
  • 709 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
GT5 was the apparent "base" for PS3, so they will build on it to release GT6 on the PS3. They are not going to start from scratch again to learn how to program for PS4, look how long it took for PS3.

I'm gonna throw a curveball by saying GT6 could be a sort of "total conversion" mod for GT5, meaning a digital download. I see Madden '13 pre-order as a DD, so GT6 can go this route as well. (maybe not likely, but maybe future iterations will be this way)

GT5 was the apparent "base" for PS3, so they will build on it to release GT6 on the PS3. They are not going to start from scratch again to learn how to program for PS4, look how long it took for PS3.

I'm gonna throw a curveball by saying GT6 could be a sort of "total conversion" mod for GT5, meaning a digital download. I see Madden '13 pre-order as a DD, so GT6 can go this route as well. (maybe not likely, but maybe future iterations will be this way)

Please tell me more about your knowledge of programing a PS3 game. How do you and others come to the conclusion that they have to start from scratch? I dont know that much of these kind of development processes, but I highly doubt that they have to start with nothing. They already said that the premium cars were next gen ready. I dont think that PD is even bounded to a specific console.

The first time we see something from GT5 might be the E3 2013 and that will be too late for a PS3 release.

Programming for the CELL processor in the PS3 over a more conventional PowerPC or x86 processor was well documented to be a lot trickier and still is to this day. If the PS4 switches from CELL to a conventional AMD x86 processor as is rumoured none of the code from the PS3 games would work, they would have to start fresh. Models of course can carry over anywhere, they're just poly models. It would be much easier for them though, as already mentioned.

Programming for the CELL processor in the PS3 over a more conventional PowerPC or x86 processor was well documented to be a lot trickier and still is to this day. If the PS4 switches from CELL to a conventional AMD x86 processor as is rumoured none of the code from the PS3 games would work, they would have to start fresh. Models of course can carry over anywhere, they're just poly models. It would be much easier for them though, as already mentioned.

I fully understand this. But the biggest parts of a racing game like GT are the cars and tracks. Then there are graphics, physics and other features. So, GT is not really such a big game, when you left out the content and look at its core.

I think that 2 1/2 half years would be way enough to port or recreate the graphic and physics engine for GT6 to a new system. Sony's decision to move away from the cell could be very old and PD could have been prepared very early for this.

PD should have gone the Turn10 way. With a full release every two years and then adding features and content every time. So that features only get in that work and are perfect. The way it is now, is not acceptable.

Yes. This is true guys.

It makes me wonder why Sony would do such thing to developers that have worked so hard on getting used to the cell processor, only to scrap it to a simple (old school) X86 structure, let alone the millions of dollars that went into the investing of the tech. If it's for ease of the developers, they could've done it from the start with the PS3.

I fully understand this. But the biggest parts of a racing game like GT are the cars and tracks. Then there are graphics, physics and other features. So, GT is not really such a big game, when you left out the content and look at its core.

I think that 2 1/2 half years would be way enough to port or recreate the graphic and physics engine for GT6 to a new system. Sony's decision to move away from the cell could be very old and PD could have been prepared very early for this.

PD should have gone the Turn10 way. With a full release every two years and then adding features and content every time. So that features only get in that work and are perfect. The way it is now, is not acceptable.

You might find some people think otherwise and say Gran Turismo's core is the physics engine, due to the fact that it's a simulator trying to be realistic. It seems like you're speaking about arcade racing games if all you think that Gran Turismo is just about the cars and tracks as its core.

But yes, this whole thing is about when PD is aware of the PS4's dev kit and when they've started work on it. It's one thing none of us know. It's a possibility either way.

Last edited:
It makes me wonder why Sony would do such thing to developers that have worked so hard on getting used to the cell processor, only to scrap it to a simple (old school) X86 structure, let alone the millions of dollars that went into the investing of the tech. If it's for ease of the developers, they could've done it from the start with the PS3.
Developers aren't going to complain about the switch. In fact, they were probably doing cartwheels when Sony disclosed that they'd be ditching Cell for x86.

Developers aren't going to complain about the switch. In fact, they were probably doing cartwheels when Sony disclosed that they'd be ditching Cell for x86.

It's not that they'll complain, but the fact that they made them "work" for nothing from which they could've used and learned it for future use. The cell structure was like going to a new class. You take that class, but in the end, it's of no use for you.

Really, X86 is ancient. So much for moving forward. The cell architecture is state of the art. The things it can do with so little RAM is incredible. No X86 can do such thing.

Anyway, it's all rumors anyway. There are also rumors about the PS4 using cell technology too.

Would that give Sony justification to resell PS3 games on the PSN in the future then?

It's not that they'll complain, but the fact that they made them "work" for nothing from which they could've used and learned it for future use. The cell structure was like going to a new class. You take that class, but in the end, it's of no use for you.

Really, X86 is ancient. So much for moving forward. The cell architecture is state of the art. The things it can do with so little RAM is incredible. No X86 can do such thing.

Anyway, it's all rumors anyway. There are also rumors about the PS4 using cell technology too.

I will say this, the Cell is dead. IBM dropped it (one of the 3 companies involved) after the "PowerXCell 8i". Well dead is a strong word, but may be resurrected in another form possibly a 'hybrid' Combination. PS4 will have to go the conventional way now.
Old Article but Useful info
Also this would be good for quick saves from menu to menu

It's also rumored that Sony is using APU technology, which is a combination of a GPU and a CPU fused together to free up performance, similar to the cell. So this can also give out better graphical performance.

APU's are on nearly every modern CPU.

Compared to PC's, even with things like Virtu MVP the gains in utilizing the integrated graphics chip in addition to a discrete GPU are minimal.

It's anything but a massive leap in performance.

APU of the CPU and the apparatus. Also the PSC of the VTI and the STI might catch an STD. So I conclude GT6 should most certainly be on PS4 so that we will all be safe!!

1: To get a good start of PS4, GT6 is going to make the ps4 a sucess in sales which Sony needs with todays big moneylosses.
2: GT5 is as good as it gets on todays consoles, to get something worth called GT6 it needs more horsepower. PS4 will bring that.
3: Since they starting to talk about GT6 it means we are about 1.5 - 2 years away from the finished game. Perfect for a ps4 launch.
4: With early PS4 launch there is time left in PS4 lifespan to launch GT7 if needed
5: The game needs new incomebase, that means competition with prizes on more regular case than today. For that there needs to be better network and gamestability + rules. PS4 can handle that.

For me this is enough to convince me it is a PS4 title and it should be a PS4 launchgame.
The timing should be perfect too...with GT5 getting its final update + some new DLC to keep fans playing for a year or two.

1) Console sales don't actually help with financial losses when you sell your consoles at a loss. If we look back to the early years of PS3's life cycle, when they were losing at least $200 per unit (depending on whose production cost figures you go with), had PS3 sold twice as well that would simply have meant Sony losing twice as much money from PS3. Fanboys like to argue that "You have to spend money to make money" or "They make it up in game sales", but both arguments hold true whether Sony sold ten million, twenty million, or a hundred million units. The number of units sold doesn't change this profit/loss ratio.

The only way selling PS4s will help with "today's big money losses" is if PS4 sells below cost (profit on unit sales). Otherwise, they're just moving more hardware at more losses, which doesn't help with money losses. "But they can make money from PS4 game sales." Yeah, but they can do that with PS3 game sales, and there's far more PS3 owners to sell them to. It will take PS4 several years to catch up with PS3's current installed base.

2) They don't need to dramatically improve graphics. They can simply improve the actual game, and pack in more content. Forza has more content on Xbox 360, and that's just on DVD.

3) If it's for PS4, it won't be another year and a half to two years. You're looking at least 2015 if it's a PS4 title. GT6 won't be there at launch.

4) That presumes that GT6 will be there at the start of the generation. I don't see it. Also, it takes PD so long to make a game, even when just basing it on an existing game engine, that there's no way GT7 will make PS4 if GT6 is on PS4, if they couldn't even get more than one full GT game on PS3. "How do you reckon it takes them so long to make a game based on an existing engine? Look at PS1 and PS2!" Yeah, but that was then. Look at how long it was for GT5, and then two years later we still don't have GT6. If they could make a game within maybe a couple or three years when basing it on the existing engine, then we'd definitely be seeing GT6 for PS3 this year or next, but instead we're talking about possibly PS4, which means PD can't base a sequel on a current engine in a reasonable time.

5) This one made my brain hurt. "Incomebase"? At first I thought you meant a source of revenue for PD, but they can get far more money selling GT6 on PS3 than they could on PS4, since PS3 already has a large installed base. Then it sounded like you mean for players to earn credits, but this isn't hardware-specific. NES could offer the player more means of earning credits if you want to make it possible. You don't need new hardware for that.

You mean developers have seen the systems that we all knew was in development anyway? What difference does that make?

Toronado
You mean developers have seen the systems that we all knew was in development anyway? What difference does that make?

More proof that it's close, that the unit not just the kit too. If the next gen is here and close why ps3, no release date, trailer or info on GT6 prob means there holding off til ps4 has been announced first

If by "the unit not just the kit" you mean you think that article proves that he has seen actual final versions of hardware rather than just development kits, then no. The article in fact goes out of its way to make sure you don't draw that conclusion:
Whether Gibeau has seen actual working models of the consoles, or just early prototypes isn't clear.

Besides we the public saw PS3 18 months before it was released. Same goes for the Wii U. It really means nothing.

Besides we the public saw PS3 18 months before it was released. Same goes for the Wii U. It really means nothing.

They learn from Apple. No info until the day it is presented and a day or week later its for sale. And, previous sellingnumbers doesnt say much about todays.

There are more reasons why PS4 will outsell the PS3 and that fast.
1. People have new tvs today, no secondary investment.
2. The price wont be so high this time, the prices of components are down and no new expensive tech is introduced like the bluray player was at that time.
3. GT6 is coming out at the same time (+) 6 months
4. Design can be a major factor, hopefully it will be awailable in white too

I love how people base pretty big assumptions off of other big assumptions and in some cases label it as proof in these type threads. Cracks me up.

They learn from Apple. No info until the day it is presented and a day or week later its for sale.
What could possibly go wrong with showing off hardware for the first time that will be sold exclusively through third party retailers and announcing an immediate launch date with no promotion or build up? The plan can't fail!

SegaSaturn.jpg

Oh, right.

Also keep in mind that the Wii U was first officially announced 14 months ago and we still don't even know when it will come out, or how it took 6 months for the PS Vita to come out in only one region after it was first announced and 8 months for the 3DS to launch. Surely if Apple was that influential in markets that they don't even compete in, that mantra for releasing hardware would have taken hold by now. Also ponder that perhaps there are reasons (hype build up, building awareness of the capabilities, guaranteeing supply, guaranteeing the launch software is ready, preventing leaks, not repeating high profile disastrous console launches) that hardware manufacturers announce hardware so far in advance whereas Apple does not.

2. The price wont be so high this time, the prices of components are down and no new expensive tech is introduced like the bluray player was at that time.
Can I see the systems official specs, then?

3. GT6 is coming out at the same time (+) 6 months
[citation needed]

I'll believe that when I see copies of it on store shelves and not a second before.

4. Design can be a major factor, hopefully it will be awailable in white too
"The PS4 will definitely outsell the PS3 because people will like its design better. Maybe."

Last edited:
I think apple are good for apple products, it's hardware only but sony and everyone need to show it off a year before to reveal games and feature and how great it will be. This is getting a bit silly now. It's getting to what people want rather than, from as business point of view, is best for A. Playstation & B.PloyphonicDigital. And I think 2013 reveal for both and 2014 release at the latest. Its all ifs and buts but GT isn't the only game out there and with next year roster, sonys going out with a bang for the ps3. Yes I would love for there to be a GT6 for ps3 next year with new everything but odd are 999999/1 in my head

I think apple are good for apple products, it's hardware only but sony and everyone need to show it off a year before to reveal games and feature and how great it will be. This is getting a bit silly now. It's getting to what people want rather than, from as business point of view, is best for A. Playstation & B.PloyphonicDigital. And I think 2013 reveal for both and 2014 release at the latest. Its all ifs and buts but GT isn't the only game out there and with next year roster, sonys going out with a bang for the ps3. Yes I would love for there to be a GT6 for ps3 next year with new everything but odd are 999999/1 in my head

Apple wouldnt be anything without apps. But now people know about them and expect great stuff each year. New Iphone, Ipod, Ipad and so on. But hardware takes you nowhere without the right software. So if PS4 is to be a success then software is the key and userfriendly UI.
I just cant see a PS4 release without some really heavy titles coming out at the same time. And perhaps its not Sony that is late, perhaps Sony is waiting for the games to get finished before they give it a release date.

II-zOoLoGy-II
For some, ignorance is bliss.
Very gentlemanly of you I should say! In the future for us whom only practice medicine and do not have a background in the obvious software, can I make a request that you perhaps use less acronyms so that all can part take in you savvy conversation. Or shall I have an author an programmer come on and twist your brain and insult you as you have me?

Infantry D in first out last!!!!!!'

Last edited:
Mulan
Apple wouldnt be anything without apps. But now people know about them and expect great stuff each year. New Iphone, Ipod, Ipad and so on. But hardware takes you nowhere without the right software. So if PS4 is to be a success then software is the key and userfriendly UI.
I just cant see a PS4 release without some really heavy titles coming out at the same time. And perhaps its not Sony that is late, perhaps Sony is waiting for the games to get finished before they give it a release date.

We you no what I ment, every body knows apple so they don't need to brag (like iPhone conference in September and rumoured release 3 weeks later). Apps can be shown on the previous model but console games can't be shown on previous console due to the big advancements. Heard many developers planning ps4 games, uncharted for one, the replacement to modern warfare is another. And I want GT6 to blow ps4 away too. I think I'll just wait til next year e3 and then we'll see, if nothing is shown it won't be 2014 after all.

The people who avoided the PS3 because of the $600 price tag have no problem buying a $750 off contract iPhone or iPad.

Now that you can buy a BluRay player with a HDD, wifi, apps, capabilities to play files, for $100 or less, the PS3 is big time over priced as it is. A buddy of mine is trying to sell another buddy his 500gb PS3 Slim for $150. Buddy #2 wants it 99.9% as a BluRay player. It's VERY hard for me to facilitate this sale when I was oblivious to BD players coming jam packed full of features that equal the PS3. Except for games of course.

Why would anybody in their right mind spend $400 on a PS3 with a small 320gb HDD when 1TB HDD are available for just over $100. And then have to feed it with $60 games that have content withheld, to spur DLC sales.

My point in all of this is that the PS4 better come bundled with Move for $299. SONY is going to screw themselves if they try to bloat the price of the PS4 at a time when consumer electronics are priced VERY affordably. It's almost like the gaming industry is oblivious to what is happening.

You can buy a Sharp 60 inch LED LCD for $1500!!! 5 years ago I bought a POS RCA 44" DLP that ate lamps for lunch for $1500!!!

The people who avoided the PS3 because of the $600 price tag have no problem buying a $750 off contract iPhone or iPad.

Now that you can buy a BluRay player with a HDD, wifi, apps, capabilities to play files, for $100 or less, the PS3 is big time over priced as it is. A buddy of mine is trying to sell another buddy his 500gb PS3 Slim for $150. Buddy #2 wants it 99.9% as a BluRay player. It's VERY hard for me to facilitate this sale when I was oblivious to BD players coming jam packed full of features that equal the PS3. Except for games of course.

Why would anybody in their right mind spend $400 on a PS3 with a small 320gb HDD when 1TB HDD are available for just over $100. And then have to feed it with $60 games that have content withheld, to spur DLC sales.

My point in all of this is that the PS4 better come bundled with Move for $299. SONY is going to screw themselves if they try to bloat the price of the PS4 at a time when consumer electronics are priced VERY affordably. It's almost like the gaming industry is oblivious to what is happening.

You can buy a Sharp 60 inch LED LCD for $1500!!! 5 years ago I bought a POS RCA 44" DLP that ate lamps for lunch for $1500!!!

lol.. you either need to re-evaluate how business works on this planet, or you're just disrespectful in general to companies that have achieved success through many years of R&D to make products... you're suggesting they give their PS tech away for nothing... sorry there is nothing even remotely too expensive about the 160GB for $199 or the 320GB bundled w 2 games for $299.

A new system will likely be priced at $399 for the base model, but hey, you could save the money and buy another overpriced electronic item.. Camera, iPod Dock, HD cam, Beats Headphones (lol trash), Laptop/Pad, Smartphones ...these all fall under the same price-group, but I'd say the videogame system has the most product value.

Last edited:
tpark103
Very gentlemanly of you I should say! In the future for us whom only practice medicine and do not have a background in the obvious software, can I make a request that you perhaps use less acronyms so that all can part take in you savvy conversation. Or shall I have an author an programmer come on and twist your brain and insult you as you have me?

Infantry D in first out last!!!!!!'

Or you know, you could not make ridiculous comments involving a plethora of acronyms that have nothing to do with the discussion at hand? Maybe next time you just use Google to figure out what was being discussed? Maybe if you can't do that it might be better if you just don't post?

I apologize if our use of "GPU" and "CPU" have "twisted your brain." I await your "author an programmer" friend's arrival "doctor" lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back