7 Ways to Avoid Motion Sickness in VR

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 43 comments
I never get motion sickness in a car/ride/plane. But i got a nasty one after a few VR laps on Goodwood (i think the flattest track in GT7 lol) in the small convertible Honda.
I think that what does it for me is the way the car leans in all directions when braking, accelerating or turning. That happening visually, with no connection the what the body feels really messes up my brain.
I wanted to check if I can switch between the camera modes when using the cockpit view, but it seems they are not available at all.
I think that if we can have a setting to have the VR movement relative to the car's axis movement disabled, the nausea would disappear for many of the users experiencing it.
To explain in better, when you are braking, the car leans forward but your camera/headset stays level to the horizon currently. If the horizon would raise (equivalent of your car's front pointing downward) the brain would cope easier with it. As it is right now is like your neck is made of soft rubber and your head is not affected by elevation changes or axial movement of the car.

I have the same problem, the body roll gets me on normal cars. Formula cars don’t bother me near as much because there is no body roll.

Day 4 and doing much better. Felt a bit off on the first day (sudden sensation of feeling hot and sweaty, and general dizziness later). I think I didn’t ramp up gently enough- I did a rally as maybe my second race. I’ve also learnt to look around less, and in general try to follow the notion of the car with my gaze (so look into corners).

Good for you Aztro. Here’s a few more tips, I posted this in another forum but it got locked because two guys were arguing with each other. :

I believe it is just a matter of getting used to it. I completely overdid it Wednesday night and ended up with a strange disoriented VR hangover all day Thursday. I was able to play with a super formula for a few hours off and on Friday with no issues. I cannot wait to play again today. I think some helpful factors were chewing gum, using a fan, driving a car with very little body roll, and most importantly, try to keep your eyes looking forward, do not look around too much, if you do look around, move your head more than your eyes. Also, tilt your head a little with the banking of there is any. I did spin out once and I just closed my eyes and there was no motion effect. So, for all of you that didn’t feel well after the first try, don’t give up, you can overcome it. Just my personal experience this week. Hope that helps someone.

Another vote for 'Don't give up' here.

I doubt many people felt as ill as quickly as I did Wednesday night. I literally felt terrible after just THREE corners. (Maybe jumping into the Grand Valley Circuit Experience wasn't the best idea)

I was sweaty, felt sick, and had a headache. It did not go away and I'm sure I still felt a bit off the following morning.

Next night, following some tips I took a motion sickness tablet, chewed gum, had a fan on me, and just played the Kayak game. I was pretty much ok. I then tried just a couple of laps on GT7 and things felt much better so I didn't push my luck and called it a night.

Since then I've been doing short sessions, building up to faster cars etc. Yesterday I did 3 lots of 5 lap races in GT3 cars at Spa and felt fine, even through Eau Rouge / Radillion.

So if I can go to that, from my initial hideous experience in only a couple of days then it should give hope to everyone.

my humble recommendations:

• blink much more than you normally do while on VR
  • try to always look at far. avoid looking at the dashboard or inside the car when the car is moving. dont even look at the speedometer.
  • if you're going to crash or hit anything or spin, close your eyes
  • if you feel motion sickness is building at e.g. while turning a curve or a corner, blink fast for about 5 seconds. if it is still there stop immediately before it is too late.
  • don't exceed about 5 mins a session on the first days (not 10 or 15!). multiple sessions per day isn't a big problem though.

my first day was puking. second day dizzy, 3rd I rested.

now just played the nurburgring gp track a couple of times with a ferrari 458 and then after a break the full nordschleife twice. i don't feel any dizzyness.

psvr2 is awesome.

There is some good advice in this article.

I would add.

Never drive reverse.
If you crash. Close your eye's immediately, and don't open them again until the car is standing still.

Also when starting out, try not to get to exited and look to much around. Just look straight ahead where your are driving.

Then after a while with short sessions like 3-4 sessions of 15 minutes a day, the motion sickness will go away.

motion sickness is gone but my eyes hurt a lot even though i don't play much and i blink a lot while playing. I'm wondering is there any best practice about it other than "don't use vr"

By using most of those techniques, if not all of them, I have completely overcome the simulation sickness in a few days. Played for a couple hours again last night, no issues. I hope everyone else that suffered it can do the same. Good luck and enjoy. What a blast!

My headset arrives this week. I have a Quest 2 and have gotten sick in the past, so I'll use every tip in this thread. Thanks!

I would highly recommend staying away from tracks with strong elevation changes (unfortunately, this rules out the Nordschleife!) unless doing them at an actual crawl. If you build up your resistance to nausea on really flat tracks like Silverstone, Monza etc. before you attempt Road Atlanta or Deep Forest, you’ll adapt much quicker. And on no account try Horsethief Mile until you’re REALLY comfortable with other tracks with strong elevation..!

It’s a stomach churner… 😵‍💫🤢🤮

Last edited:
"Use a convertible on a flat track and go slow".
Gotcha. Let me just hop into the 787B, take it to Spa, and go hammer down! That went well but you said open top so here's a Formula 1 car. That went well also... Come on, Herbie, let's go race at LeMans. 🤢🤢🤢
When the on screen movements don't match my inputs I get violently sick. This includes cars that roll around a lot and watching replays. Those cars with tight suspension work well. The loosest cars I can manage are the R32 and the Trans Am. If I tighten up the suspension on the VW 1200, I can run that for half an hour even with a modded Porsche engine installed.
I'ma tell ya the first time I hit Radillon at 150 MPH my stomach dropped and it felt GREAT!
Someone mentioned a training mode. The only game I've seen that had one and used it correctly was Enemy Zero. In game you have to time ultra short range gunfire to hit invisible enemies. The training mode adds the timing in one stage, cuts the range in the next, both with visible enemies, then you go through a couple more stages at full speed with invisible bots. Enemies there don't shoot back but can kill instantly on contact. That game needed the mandatory training mode, and it had one. GT7 doesn't.

Last edited:
I'm considering to buy a PSVR2 to increase my sense of reality in the game (of course that i'm thinking in get a motion cockpit... but this is a far far dream). This tips could help to pass with any problem in my adaptation. Thank you.

I've not had any motion sickness from GT7 for ages now. To echo some earlier posts, I think a lot of it is down to suspension or particularly undulating courses. I mostly drive race cars and they are all fine. Previously I had some motion sickness in slower road cars. Even they seem fine now.
Just don't play for too long initially, and stop if you feel a little dizzy or nauseous.

Back