787b 800pp tune for Sardegna and Spa

Im using the Toyota GR Hypercar to build my credits with this race since now i mostly don't care about buying cars outside the ferrari fxx-k and the mclaren f1 and only gods knows if i'll ever get the chance to. :(

I'm kinda iffy on the idea of a single tune for both. Spa is a high speed track, where Sardegna requires short bursts of power. It also requires stability in medium to high speed corners almost all the way through. At Spa you have the Kimmel Straight and a decent downhill straight right before the hairpin and before the chicane.
On the X2019, my transmission is set to 250 for Sardegna and there's a lot of downforce and I run RH tires. For Spa, I use less downforce, set the gears to 320, and run IM tires.

I'm kinda iffy on the idea of a single tune for both. Spa is a high speed track, where Sardegna requires short bursts of power. It also requires stability in medium to high speed corners almost all the way through. At Spa you have the Kimmel Straight and a decent downhill straight right before the hairpin and before the chicane.
On the X2019, my transmission is set to 250 for Sardegna and there's a lot of downforce and I run RH tires. For Spa, I use less downforce, set the gears to 320, and run IM tires.
I tried the tune at Spa the other day and i agree... I found myself tweaking the tune to dial it in to Spa a little better. I'll release that soon

My 787b 800pp tune video for update 1.25 is now live at YouTube!

I was very pleased to stumble across this. I too have been using the 787b for Sardegna and was very excited to try your tune to hopefully improve my times, even if just a little, particularly after seeing your lap and finish times.

Unfortunately, It turns out this is the exact tune I’ve been using for weeks; I must have already found it a on YouTube or something.

I have the following remarks:

1. It‘s a great tune, however, the little regard I had for my own progress has been squashed down with a bit of humble pie 🥧. Apparently I don’t need a better or faster tune, just better driving through more practice and experience.

2. You are an absolute Beast on this track, a real monster. :bowdown:

Fastest lap of 1:31 !! and Finishing the the 23:40’s???
I think 1:34’s are my fastest (similar to your “out of pit lap”) and 1:35 much more common. I also have a tough time running all 15 laps without ANY of the mistakes that tack on a few seconds so I‘ll always have some dumb 1:37-1:40 in the mix. I had what otherwise would have been a great run before where a car spun me out on the final turn before the straight on lap 14 IIRC. It felt like a PIT maneuver and completely ruined that attempt.

I hope to make some improvements from learning how you approach different brake points, throttle control etc…
Anyway, thanks for the dose of knowledge & tune info from your video, both are very helpful.

Lastly, there’s a quick tip I just tried for anyone else reading that turning the difficulty up to “Hard” may be helpful in dealing with the rest of traffic. Someone had suggested using “normal” which I did for a bit but this might be another step in the right direction. It would be better to hear definitively from someone more experienced though if anyone would care to chime in. Hard mode is still not competitive in this setup as all the cars are still being lapped.

I was very pleased to stumble across this. I too have been using the 787b for Sardegna and was very excited to try your tune to hopefully improve my times, even if just a little, particularly after seeing your lap and finish times.

Unfortunately, It turns out this is the exact tune I’ve been using for weeks; I must have already found it a on YouTube or something.

I have the following remarks:

1. It‘s a great tune, however, the little regard I had for my own progress has been squashed down with a bit of humble pie 🥧. Apparently I don’t need a better or faster tune, just better driving through more practice and experience.

2. You are an absolute Beast on this track, a real monster. :bowdown:

Fastest lap of 1:31 !! and Finishing the the 23:40’s???
I think 1:34’s are my fastest (similar to your “out of pit lap”) and 1:35 much more common. I also have a tough time running all 15 laps without ANY of the mistakes that tack on a few seconds so I‘ll always have some dumb 1:37-1:40 in the mix. I had what otherwise would have been a great run before where a car spun me out on the final turn before the straight on lap 14 IIRC. It felt like a PIT maneuver and completely ruined that attempt.

I hope to make some improvements from learning how you approach different brake points, throttle control etc…
Anyway, thanks for the dose of knowledge & tune info from your video, both are very helpful.

Lastly, there’s a quick tip I just tried for anyone else reading that turning the difficulty up to “Hard” may be helpful in dealing with the rest of traffic. Someone had suggested using “normal” which I did for a bit but this might be another step in the right direction. It would be better to hear definitively from someone more experienced though if anyone would care to chime in. Hard mode is still not competitive in this setup as all the cars are still being lapped.
I'm glad my tune and the info in the video are helping you... Thats what I set out to do!

I've put more laps in to Sardegna than anywhere else so yes I'm very very familiar with the circuit and I think that counts for a bit of laptime.

Also... The things that really help laptime are trail braking and the wind speed & direction. Sardegna is always easier and faster if the wind is pointing down or to the bottom left of the screen as that helps with turning in on some key corners and straights.

Wind in the wrong direction will not only cost you over a second a lap it will also affect fuel efficiency

I'm glad my tune and the info in the video are helping you... Thats what I set out to do!

I've put more laps in to Sardegna than anywhere else so yes I'm very very familiar with the circuit and I think that counts for a bit of laptime.

Also... The things that really help laptime are trail braking and the wind speed & direction. Sardegna is always easier and faster if the wind is pointing down or to the bottom left of the screen as that helps with turning in on some key corners and straights.

Wind in the wrong direction will not only cost you over a second a lap it will also affect fuel efficiency
Going to try this, thanks for posting.

Going by your other posts, you sir seem to be an absolute wizard... alien, meant in the nice way of course.

It’s been a couple weeks since getting some advice from you and I just wanted to report back my progress. First of all, there was a message I replied to but apparently didn’t hit the post button (those paragraphs are in BOLD below)

Wow, yeah wind speed & direction is not something that has ever entered my mind during a race. Of course that would affect a number of things; I never realized the extra weather data was so relevant, I assumed some were just fluff stats for visual realism… like wind changing the direction of rainfall or how background foliage sways.
It’s interesting you brought this up, I was wondering recently if they apply the temperature/sun to how well the tires are gripping. Sounds like I need to look more into how the various weather conditions affect the game.

With conditions less favorable do you make changes in your driving (eg. brake points, turn speed etc…) or other adjustments either planned ahead or done on the fly during the race.?

———-

Before your posts a great race for me was anywhere in the 24:30’s; maybe 24:35 - 24:39 with the rare best lap time of mid 1:34’s. Usually they would be 1:35’s

I was surprised how little fuel you had compared to me at the pit and realized you were shifting much later than me; spending more time at high rpm and starting further into the next gear. After trying that and experimenting with trail braking my good races are in the 24:20’s now and repeatable. 1:33 is fastest and 1:34 laps are normal now, getting 5-6 times in a race.
If I can avoid a disastrous lap near the end of the race should hit the teens based on my regular laps… Hopefully soon

It’s been a couple weeks since getting some advice from you and I just wanted to report back my progress. First of all, there was a message I replied to but apparently didn’t hit the post button (those paragraphs are in BOLD below)

Wow, yeah wind speed & direction is not something that has ever entered my mind during a race. Of course that would affect a number of things; I never realized the extra weather data was so relevant, I assumed some were just fluff stats for visual realism… like wind changing the direction of rainfall or how background foliage sways.
It’s interesting you brought this up, I was wondering recently if they apply the temperature/sun to how well the tires are gripping. Sounds like I need to look more into how the various weather conditions affect the game.

With conditions less favorable do you make changes in your driving (eg. brake points, turn speed etc…) or other adjustments either planned ahead or done on the fly during the race.?

———-

Before your posts a great race for me was anywhere in the 24:30’s; maybe 24:35 - 24:39 with the rare best lap time of mid 1:34’s. Usually they would be 1:35’s

I was surprised how little fuel you had compared to me at the pit and realized you were shifting much later than me; spending more time at high rpm and starting further into the next gear. After trying that and experimenting with trail braking my good races are in the 24:20’s now and repeatable. 1:33 is fastest and 1:34 laps are normal now, getting 5-6 times in a race.
If I can avoid a disastrous lap near the end of the race should hit the teens based on my regular laps… Hopefully soon
Glad it has all been useful for you.

Wind and temp do affect grip... As do cold tyres and brakes for the first lap or after a change at pitstop. Once you get used to that you will change how you brake, accelerate and turn in to corners based on the conditions. Wind is the most obvious one as it can help you turn in or push you wide depending on the direction/speed.

I don't get close to those times either. I'm just concerned with winning.
I won Spa with the MP4/4 earlier with a stop at dusk at a stop at dawn, running full wets the entire race.
I'm still trying to dial in the DeLorean to win it

I found this thread after I picked up the 787B in the LCD a couple days ago. I originally did a praiano tune on the car but needed to modify it because corner turn in was waaaaay too vague. So I made a bit of an adjustment to his tune to fit my driving style. Anyway, I found your tune here and gave it a shot. For some reason it's not working for me either. I'm a good second+ per lap slower with it. Same issues I had with piariano's tune. It lacked corner turn in assurance and seemed to drift wide through the fast sweepers (left hander after the esses and the last turn). My modified praiano tune gives the car a bit quicker turn in and a more point and shoot feel. I feel like I can hit apexes better, dart through traffic easier and cut hard in to the corners at any speed. So far my best race time is 24:15.371 with many 1:33 laps in the race. I know that's still a second and a half per lap off your pace but for only having the car for a couple days I feel pretty good about my times. I must need to learn how to trail brake better than I currently do in order for your tune to work for me. I can never seem to get the back end to step out that little bit to get the car to rotate.

20230123_211743.jpg

Last edited:
Trail braking will help but also I wonder if there are some other differences.

I use a Fanatec GT DD Pro with load cell brake pedal. If you are controller then that might explain it.

Also if you are wheel user then it may be the ffb sensitivity settings... I use 8-10 as a rule. If you use 1 then it will be less turn in.

I found this thread after I picked up the 787B in the LCD a couple days ago. I originally did a praiano tune on the car but needed to modify it because corner turn in was waaaaay too vague. So I made a bit of an adjustment to his tune to fit my driving style. Anyway, I found your tune here and gave it a shot. For some reason it's not working for me either. I'm a good second+ per lap slower with it. Same issues I had with piariano's tune. It lacked corner turn in assurance and seemed to drift wide through the fast sweepers (left hander after the esses and the last turn). My modified praiano tune gives the car a bit quicker turn in and a more point and shoot feel. I feel like I can hit apexes better, dart through traffic easier and cut hard in to the corners at any speed. So far my best race time is 24:15.371 with many 1:33 laps in the race. I know that's still a second and a half per lap off your pace but for only having the car for a couple days I feel pretty good about my times. I must need to learn how to trail brake better than I currently do in order for your tune to work for me. I can never seem to get the back end to step out that little bit to get the car to rotate.

View attachment 1225192
Would you mind sharing your current tune here ?
We're about the same pace in this race and it feels like there are quite some similarities between your impressions and mine regarding car behavior and handling.

Trail braking will help but also I wonder if there are some other differences.

I use a Fanatec GT DD Pro with load cell brake pedal. If you are controller then that might explain it.

Also if you are wheel user then it may be the ffb sensitivity settings... I use 8-10 as a rule. If you use 1 then it will be less turn in.
I'm using a Thrustmaster T-300 and their load cell pedals, so my wheel can't get close to the amount of FF your Fanatec wheel can do, even if I'm on the highest settings. I can try messing with the settings to see if it makes a difference though.

I have heard that a looser car setup can lead to faster times because you basically slide through the turns, so maybe your setup is an overall faster one but I'm just not at that level of driving.

Would you mind sharing your current tune here ?
We're about the same pace in this race and it feels like there are quite some similarities between your impressions and mine regarding car behavior and handling.
I'll try to get the settings up tonight. Had to leave for work early today.

Is the 787B the best car for Sardegna these days? I’ve been using the CLK-LM Gr.2 for as long as I can remember (tried the Escudo and other Gr.2 cars occasionally but always came back to the CLK because of its more enjoyable sound (than that high pitch 787B whine) and superb grip.

Is the 787B the best car for Sardegna these days? I’ve been using the CLK-LM Gr.2 for as long as I can remember (tried the Escudo and other Gr.2 cars occasionally but always came back to the CLK because of its more enjoyable sound (than that high pitch 787B whine) and superb grip.

My Escudo tune is faster by some way...

Yeah, the Escudo seems to be to fastest out there for most tracks, but the car hasn't been available for purchase for the last 6 months. I don't own many Gr.1 cars, but I would imagine any Gr.1 car you can tune down to 800pp will be faster than pretty much any other car people are using. However of the classic Gr.1 cars I've tried, my fastest time has been in the 787B. More testing needs to be done, though, as the Nissan R92CP also can blitz around that track and I just bought the Jaguar XJR-9 and want to try that. My guess is that it won't be as fast as the Nissan though.

Yeah, the Escudo seems to be to fastest out there for most tracks, but the car hasn't been available for purchase for the last 6 months. I don't own many Gr.1 cars, but I would imagine any Gr.1 car you can tune down to 800pp will be faster than pretty much any other car people are using. However of the classic Gr.1 cars I've tried, my fastest time has been in the 787B. More testing needs to be done, though, as the Nissan R92CP also can blitz around that track and I just bought the Jaguar XJR-9 and want to try that. My guess is that it won't be as fast as the Nissan though.

I've got all of the gr c classics and the 787b just edges it over all of them. They are all good cars though and each have their unique strengths. Have fun trying them all out!

I've got all of the gr c classics and the 787b just edges it over all of them. They are all good cars though and each have their unique strengths. Have fun trying them all out!
Have a look at my setup. Maybe not the suspension settings as I'm sure you are used to what yours are, however I'm running the high rpm turbo on mine and my setup makes 60 more hp than yours, weighs 74 lbs less and makes more rotational g's. You may be able to hit 1:30's or sub 1:30' with these adjustments.

Last edited:
Have a look at my setup. Maybe not the suspension settings as I'm sure you are used to what yours are, however I'm running the high rpm turbo on mine and my setup makes 60 more hp than yours, weighs 74 lbs less and makes more rotational g's. You may be able to hit 1:30's or sub 1:30' with these adjustments.

I'll try that at some point because I've been away from the grind learning to drive with tcs off. Once I'm totally happy with that then I'll probably need to tune it again anyway.

What's your fuel economy like with up extra hp? Still get the same number of laps out of it?

I ran FM1 the whole time and pitted after lap 8. I ran the engine well through "redline" the whole race. Pitted with 5% left in the tank. So it is a 1 pit race but I dont think you would be able to keep up a good pace if you didn't change your tires at some point. I can't remember if you pitted or not in your race, but I am assuming you did.

I have to use TC1 with this car, or any RWD car on a track with low soeed tight corners. One second you are all good, the next the back end is gone and you are looking at everyone behind you.

Last edited:
I ran FM1 the whole time and pitted after lap 8. I ran the engine well through "redline" the whole race. Pitted with 5% left in the tank. So it is a 1 pit race but I dont think you would be able to keep up a good pace if you didn't change your tires at some point. I can't remember if you pitted or not in your race, but I am assuming you did.

I have to use TC1 with this car, or any RWD car on a track with low soeed tight corners. One second you are all good, the next the back end is gone and you are looking at everyone behind you.
Yeah 1 stop and my recommendation is to do it after lap 7 and you avoid more traffic and have to overtake less.. Meaning race time is faster than pitting after lap 8

I'm not as fast but its still faster then with the gr10. I start in FM 1 until I pass everyone and then switch to fm4 and I can go till lap 10/11 before needing to pit and at pit out I switch to fm3 and at lap 14 I switch to fm1 till the finish.

Such a fun car to drive.
Gran Turismo® 7_20230126022440.jpg

I took a quick look at your setup and did 4 laps ( at work :lol: ) but did felt very fast, rotates nicely and has an good topspeed
curious to see what lap times i can get with the DS4 but thanks for sharing.

Ok, first comment on your setup ( without having driven the car yet ) :
The advantage vs. @John Wedley regarding the PP calculation is that you're using the Manual Transmission, not the Racing Transmission which obviously "is worth" quite a couple of PP.
It's the first time I come across this and I'm curious ... 👍

Last edited:
Back