82nd Running Of The Le Mans 24 Hours - 14/15 June 2014.

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 4,367 comments
I just had a chance to view the photos of cars hitting the new Ford curbing. Man..., I have a feeling these curbs are going to be knocking teams out of the race. I also read the article about Bergmeister and all he did was miss his braking point. Those drivers better burn it into their minds "Do not touch the curbs".

As for the heights... yeah I'm not sure how these cars are taking off to that level.
They are very very dangerous.

This was when our fiesta driver went 2 wide through a corner with another car
crash_3.jpg

This was a car trying to avoid others when its brakes failed

This was another car that lost the back end going into a corner and the splitter clipped the kerb.
fiona_upside_down.jpg

I must say I find this dangerous. I see that and I remember the crash that killed Simonsen, and that it started with his car losing balance because he went a litle wide and over those curbs.

EDIT - I see "that" refers to high curbs, not the roll over pictures

Lancia? Sam Collins of Race Car Engineering is convinced that Ferrari are going to enter LMP1 but I think it would be the Lancia brand with a ferrari engine. That may account for the returning manufacturer as Ferrari are already involved in GT.

Another possibility, due to Radio Le Mans being so sure that McLaren and Honda are working on an LMP1, would be McLaren.
Lancia are getting axed. If FIAT are going to commission a re-branded Ferrari-run team for LMP1, it'll be under the Alfa Romeo name. Alfa is getting a big makeover and a P1 program would be an ideal marketing campaign, in addition to accentuating their proud motorsport heritage.

Anyway, I think the announcement will probably be Ford or some other manufacturer entering LMP2 with engines or rebranding a la Alpine/Caterham. I would advise not to get your hopes up too much.

Last edited:
Ford did a press release today that basically said
"We're happy trolling around in TUSC and not getting international exposure right now, so we'll just stick with that, yeah? K thx by"

It's on racer.com somewhere

"We're happy trolling around in TUSC and not getting international exposure right now, so we'll just stick with that, yeah? K thx by"

Ford sold 500 Mustangs in 30 seconds in Europe and 9500 more people lined up to buy one before they ever saw or touched the real car this past week. Sounds to me like their international exposure isn't suffering much :)

They are very very dangerous.

Thanks for sharing those photos. Its a stark reminder that alterations to the course can definitely play into how a race can unfold if the drivers are used to running their "usual" line.

Anyways 1 week until the green flag. Oh the excitement! I just wish the coverage here in the states ran with fewer commercials. I'm curious to see if Corvette will put up a strong showing this year.

Thanks for sharing those photos. Its a stark reminder that alterations to the course can definitely play into how a race can unfold if the drivers are used to running their "usual" line.

Not sure if you read the post but none of the drivers used their "usual" line.

Bergmeister had a few issues with the Ford chicane's new kerbing.

bergmeistercrash.jpg
That or we might see Porsche make a return to rallying. Remember when a Porsche 911 won Dakar one year? But I digress. :D

Also:

Return of a constructor to endurance should be announced Sat 14/6 during ACO press conference - Source @autohebdo
I'm thinking either Ford or Ferrari.
Bob Varsha @bobvarsha · 23h
@Hadzmatt: @bobvarsha is there a tv schedule for Le mans?” 8:30a-4p FS1; 4-5 FS2; 5-6:30 FSGo; 6:30-1a FS2; 1-7:30a FS1; 7:30-9:30a FS2.

All times E.T.
Great coverage, but I dont have FS2. Even if I upgrade to get FS2 its still only in SD (Dish), which is just as bad as an internet stream IMO
Last I checked, Comcast of Reading only has FS1 on their channel lineup. I', thinking of giving them a call and ask if they'll be getting FS2 added to the lineup before the race next weekend. Other than that, I'll see if there'll be streaming of the race online.

That or we might see Porsche make a return to rallying. Remember when a Porsche 911 won Dakar one year? But I digress. :D

I'm thinking either Ford or Ferrari.
Last I checked, Comcast of Reading only has FS1 on their channel lineup. I', thinking of giving them a call and ask if they'll be getting FS2 added to the lineup before the race next weekend. Other than that, I'll see if there'll be streaming of the race online.
It's not ford.

So Ford doing what they've been doing, I'm not surprised nothing they've done lately shows they want to go international racing. Then again nothing they do in the current race series as of now show they are all that serious to begin with on any level.

Ford's American arm is a joke really. Quite literally the only investment they have is NASCAR (which they are still failing at, mostly on Jack Roush's end) and ecoboost engines in a DP. Only thing even remotely close to international is the Mustangs, which as far as I can tell aren't even factory supported anymore.

Ford's American arm is a joke really. Quite literally the only investment they have is NASCAR (which they are still failing at, mostly on Jack Roush's end) and ecoboost engines in a DP. Only thing even remotely close to international is the Mustangs, which as far as I can tell aren't even factory supported anymore.

No because V8 Supercars would be considered International and so would their efforts in WRC. Both of which I wouldn't call the greatest but at least V8s is still winning.

No because V8 Supercars would be considered International and so would their efforts in WRC. Both of which I wouldn't call the greatest but at least V8s is still winning.

That's why I say "American Arm". V8 Supercars is All Ford Austrailia/FPV (which from what I recall, is usually separate even though I'm sure they still get money from the home base). WRC isn't even Factory supported as its merely just M-Sport making cars for various teams, but WRC is as international as you can get.

@MLDoom, surely you mean one week until free practice and first qualifying?

Yes sorry. I am trying to post, read up on the latest, listen to radiolemans and get my work done all at the same time. I'm not really doing myself justice, but yes the race is still some time away. I was listening to the RadioLemans interviews from test day AM sessions and the drivers are avoiding the kerbs. Patrick Dempsey even made sure to note how severe they are. That said please bear with me as I try to catch up on the latest news.

That's why I say "American Arm". V8 Supercars is All Ford Austrailia/FPV (which from what I recall, is usually separate even though I'm sure they still get money from the home base). WRC isn't even Factory supported as its merely just M-Sport making cars for various teams, but WRC is as international as you can get.

Well Ford use to give them support, and even then they still lost. I point out all Ford efforts because it's still the U.S. money/home base backing that goes into it. Point is no matter how much America is plastered on the car or how much noticeable backing comes from them it still stands they aren't trying, they have yet to put in a serious international effort in a long while.

I saw that Fernando Rees approves of that flag ;)
The Rees team is quite the social bug... I get many favorites but I'm always like

Y u no follow me den?

Edit: the WEC app is now the 24 LM app, free, but pay $24.99 for live coverage (you get live timing I think for free though). I'll be on a cruise till next Sunday (boo... Cars are better than boats) so I did make sure they are all recorded. FS1-2 still sucks though..

I get the feeling he is quite a humble guy.

As if he appreciates the position he's in rather than feels he should be there.
Yeah...
If I can get him, McNish (favorite driver ever), and Bruno, I'll be set.. I've gotten Audi too but that seemed a little too easy.

Back