A-spec American Racing and Non-Racing Car Expert Challenge: Death Valley original course

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 240 comments
But there must be an easier way to do it than using video capture card software :)

There is no other easy way, but you could setup a video camera or mobile phone on a tripod in front of your TV and record the replay like that. You would still have to edit>convert>upload via your PC.

The replay of the race is right there on the PS3 hard drive, I'll do some searching on the drive instead.

The replay data is not an actual video file saved on the PS3 drive, it is just a data file full of numbers and such that GT6 has interpreted from all of the variables of the race. Only GT6 is able to use the file.

Last edited:
I like this track, I really like it!

But no matter what car I use, (except the chaparrals), I burn out the tires, they last in best cases 4 laps.
I do 2.23.00 - 2.24.00 laps regularly, but I can't make the tires last and as a result of that, I spin out on lap 4. Only once I managed 4th.

What do you do to stop the tire wear?

This post is proof that Gran Turismo loves us and wants us to be happy.

Why else would we repeatedly run this event for zero credits only to be endlessly confronted with empty fuel tanks and worn-out rubber? :lol:

In this event, I am grateful to have learned and tuned two useful cars that were new to me, the Corvette Z06 LM Race '06 and the Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car. Both turned out to be responsive to tuning and driving for Death Valley - a great new circuit I hope to see again.

Easy win with the DeltaWing 2012 LeMans, just cracked under 25 minutes:

23278627964_da8f1920a4_b.jpg

Also used the Chevy Camaro LM Race Car for a close win:

23538079739_087549cbcf_b.jpg

Easy win with the Chaparral 2D '67: The 2D is very fast but is sensitive to the track's undulations.

23250148724_55d7e8b005_b.jpg

Last edited:
This post is proof that Gran Turismo loves us and wants us to be happy.

Why else would we repeatedly run this event for zero credits only to be endlessly confronted with empty fuel tanks and worn-out rubber? :lol:

In this event, I am grateful to have learned and tuned two useful cars that were new to me, the Corvette Z06 LM Race '06 and the Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car. Both turned out to be responsive to tuning and driving for Death Valley - a great new circuit I hope to see again.

Hahaha, you're correct, even after the empty tanks and worn out tires and the crashes with the AI cars I was still in the mood to continue the challenge, I love Death Valley!
I'm surprised about the difference in handling after the tuning, the car really responded to the changes, that was really cool, and the track, as I've said earlier, I really like it.

Easy win with the DeltaWing 2012 LeMans, just cracked under 25 minutes:

23278627964_da8f1920a4_b.jpg

Also used the Chevy Camaro LM Race Car for a close win:

23538079739_087549cbcf_b.jpg

Easy win with the Chaparral 2D '67: The 2D is very fast but is sensitive to the track's undulations.

23250148724_55d7e8b005_b.jpg

Kudos for the win with the Camaro!
I couldn't do it, ran out of both the tires and fuel.

There is no other easy way, but you could setup a video camera or mobile phone on a tripod in front of your TV and record the replay like that. You would still have to edit>convert>upload via your PC.

The replay data is not an actual video file saved on the PS3 drive, it is just a data file full of numbers and such that GT6 has interpreted from all of the variables of the race. Only GT6 is able to use the file.

Yeah, I thought about it after my post, how is it even possible to change angle and choose screen information on a recorded replay, you're right, it's not an ordinary video file.

Dotini's suggestion about the Elgato Game Capture HD would solve it though.

I won my second try with the 2J, once I figured out a pit strategy that worked for me. I prefer to lean on the car pretty hard, no fun holding back. I used a two stop strategy, lap 4 and 7, RH and an aggressive setup that allows the car to make the three sweeper turns at full throttle. Braking at the exact right time is key for the tighter turns right after each though.
Best lap was a 2.17:0xx. Final was a high 24:xx. Won by 40 seconds over the Viper.

I wish the invisible make believe simulator barriers were about 3 feet further off the track though. I'm sure the fast guys can run 2.15-2.16's.

Time to try a different car.

The other seasonal is ridiculous, IMO. I could do it, if I wanted to dedicate an entire weekend to learning how to drive a ridiculously unrealistic car...in a simulator.
Racing hard, now i get it, not sure why that is better than soft unless they last longer, that must be it.

What set up?

Last edited:
The Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car (the black one) is not an American car. In the dealerships, it is listed under Asia-Pacific, Polyphony Digital. So, this "FORD" is a Japanese car. For this reason, I cannot enter this car into the Death Valley 10-lap Seasonal event. Yet somehow, this car is allowed on the track as one of the strongest competitors. I call BS.

Racing hard, now i get it, not sure why that is better than soft unless they last longer, that must be it.

What set up?
RH in the real racing world are meant to last longer than Softs. Less grip but last longer.

I've won this race and the game crashes coming back to the main menu... don't have any words to describe it...

Hello, because i have the same problem, please tell me have you win the race with no crashes.
Thanks very much.

I actually thought there was a point about saving replays, so that we could post them on online.
The replay of the race is right there on the PS3 hard drive, I'll do some searching on the drive instead.
Thanks for offering help Hall90!
But there must be an easier way to do it than using video capture card software :)
It's not a real replay stored on the PS3, just some game parameters and a x,y,z trace. When you 'play' it the GT6 just recreates the replay as you watch.

I'm having the same problem as a few guys here. Get the seasonal going, and then lap 3 the whole thing freezes up. Only on this track, everything else in game works fine, tried different games with no issues. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm having the same problem as a few guys here. Get the seasonal going, and then lap 3 the whole thing freezes up. Only on this track, everything else in game works fine, tried different games with no issues. Anyone got any ideas?

Well there's not that much to do about except keeping the PS3 updated.
Have you checked your harddrive space?
People smarter than I may surely give other answers :D

No problems for me so far, try to Clear your System Cache might help.

So what's this deal with only getting paid once? Is there any explanation for this? I know it's always been that way on the 'super lap' seasonals, but never on the races. What gives?

For the 2D, Priano's setup works quite well. I made a small change or two:

85/95
13.35/12.00
7/7
7/7
2/3
0/0
-8/+10
Brakes 1/0
Autoset 193 mph
9-14-38
400/700
27 kg @ 0
PL 61.6%
Hi RPM turbo
TC 0 or 1
RH front tires/RM rear tires

Strategy: Pit once end of lap 5, same RH/RM tires

You should lap comfortably in the 22's with a low in the 21's.
You will likely take the lead sometime on lap 5, but surrender it at your stop, retaking it no later than lap 8. You will lead by over 30 seconds at the end, which will be at about 25 minutes.

Make sure your chassis has had a recent refresh.

@Dotini I used your modified Praiano setup for the 2D and won on my 2nd try with a easy win (taking the lead on lap 8). 👍 Not sure what the outcome would have been on my first try. I nicked a pole on my entry to the pits, it spun me around and the game automatically drove me all the way thru the pits and back on the track.

I have not been enjoying the seasonal races very much lately but I enjoyed the race quite a bit and now that I somewhat know the track I'll probably give some other cars a try. (700pp Race Car at Sierra back in Aug. was the last one I did multiple times)

@Dotini I used your modified Praiano setup for the 2D and won on my 2nd try with a easy win (taking the lead on lap 8). 👍 Not sure what the outcome would have been on my first try. I nicked a pole on my entry to the pits, it spun me around and the game automatically drove me all the way thru the pits and back on the track.

I have not been enjoying the seasonal races very much lately but I enjoyed the race quite a bit and now that I somewhat know the track I'll probably give some other cars a try. (700pp Race Car at Sierra back in Aug. was the last one I did multiple times)
I have only just gained my super license so I'm finding the pit stops a little frustrating. :banghead: Talk of faster stops, differing fuel and tyre swops seem a long way from my stops which are a frenzy of button mashing and pedal pressing before getting same tyres I started with and however much fuel I apparently need:boggled: ....a real reality check for me.:grumpy:
Especially sickening as I need some extra cash after a pointless intoxicated splurge on cars I have no idea why I bought...:rolleyes:Less than 15 mill now and no intermediate races either (although the last expert race I really did go from nowhere to working my way up with car changes to eventually winning and feeling pretty damned good despite it being 3.30 am! Any tips on pits? I'm using a logi GT wheel...but not my head clearly! :indiff: :odd: :lol:

I have only just gained my super license so I'm finding the pit stops a little frustrating. :banghead: Talk of faster stops, differing fuel and tyre swops seem a long way from my stops which are a frenzy of button mashing and pedal pressing before getting same tyres I started with and however much fuel I apparently need:boggled: ....a real reality check for me.:grumpy:
Especially sickening as I need some extra cash after a pointless intoxicated splurge on cars I have no idea why I bought...:rolleyes:Less than 15 mill now and no intermediate races either (although the last expert race I really did go from nowhere to working my way up with car changes to eventually winning and feeling pretty damned good despite it being 3.30 am! Any tips on pits? I'm using a logi GT wheel...but not my head clearly! :indiff: :odd: :lol:

A good post. Congrats on your new Super license! My advice to you is to practice Super events such as Apricot Hill 20 Minute and Silverstone 10 Lap in order that making pitstops is as comfortable as putting on an old pair of slippers. Use a known good car like the Chaparral 2J, 2D, or Ford GT LM Spec II. Start with the full 650 PP. Pile up the cash. Perfect your setup. Then cruise your way through Death Valley.

Last edited:

Its been my experience that when you pit the game will default to what tires you currently have on the car and it will put the minimum amount of fuel required to complete the race (to save on unnecessary weight). Sometimes its not a bad idea to add a couple of gal of fuel because any spin or extra driving other than staying on the race track can and will run you out before the finish line. When I did my pit stop I did not change anything, just hit ok (even got my RH on front and RM on rear tire mix correct).

Don't get discouraged, jumping in and doing these seasonal events can be daunting for someone who is just working their way trough the game, in particular these holiday events and the expert events can be evil at times to someone just getting started. Hang in there.

Have you completed all the other seasonal events that are available, that's the best way to accumulate money / sometimes cars above and beyond what you can earn in the career mode of the game. Learning to drift will add even more money via those seasonal events.

There are two ways to select tires, Car Settings and Driving Options. The better place to select your default tire is Car Settings. If you later choose to use a different tire during a pit stop, you must select it on the screen that pops up as you enter the pit. You have lots of time to do this, as yours is invariably the last pit stall on pit lane.

There are two ways to select tires, Car Settings and Driving Options. The better place to select your default tire is Car Settings. If you later choose to use a different tire during a pit stop, you must select it on the screen that pops up as you enter the pit. You have lots of time to do this, as yours is invariably the last pit stall on pit lane.

I did not know that but come to think of it I almost never change my tire selection in driving options. Good to know. 👍

That one spot on the track that does the tiny Z, with the sloped edges,.....you know the spot, deemed by others early in this thread as evil, and " no track developer in their right mind would make this turn", lol.
Well, I now LOVE this spot.
Now that I got the hang of the track more, a little drift then gunning it makes for a BUMP-BUMP-ZOOM spot that the other cars lose a little time slowing down on. That "evil" spot became one of the few spots you can gain time on the AI on.
Funny how things are at first glance end up very different in the end, lol.

Back