A-spec American Racing and Non-Racing Car Expert Challenge: Death Valley original course

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 240 comments
I used the 2J on my first try. I was making solid ground in the first half of the race until I pitted after lap 5. After that I completely just sucked it up. I managed fifth, and while I can't complain about 880k credits, I know I can do better.

I've gotten tipped off to try the 2D and Deltawing, so I'm about to try those out.

I had my normal gaming experience with this race, try something a million times before eventually completing it, and doing so with ease. I tried a few cars, set ups and strategies before eventually deciding on the Ford GT LM race car starting on RH and changing after 4 laps for RM and again at 7 for RM. I won in 25:30 after 4 penalties for coming across back markers in the worst places, fastest lap 2:20.3 on lap 9.
My best before that was 6th on a one stop strategy that barely worked, I was going too slow and still ruined my tyres, although if anything the practice trying 5 laps helped me get 4 quick, smooth laps out of the hard tyres 👍.

It took me three attempts but I was able to win with the Ford GT40 Race Car '69 with a slow time of 25:44.579, and a margin of 1.9 seconds.

23307648473_7e754df76f_b.jpg

The Ford GT40 is fast but it burns up its tires and it doesn't like driving on anything other than fresh rubber so you have to be careful on the last lap before the pit-stops.:scared:

I've run the race again and went faster but had a smaller margin using a slightly different pit strategy:

23309001533_a93aee56cc_b.jpg

Last edited:
@RuddRacer @Dotini Thanks for the great advice, it's a series of ups and downs on GT6. I had been doing ok with seasonal stuff but the last expert race was my first win. Drifting however is a different matter...I haven't even got out the starting gate as far as being a drifting meister is concerned!
Talking of ups and downs I have to share tonight's escapade. I thought I'd try a first club event, I knew Xmas is a tricky time but I said if u can be around at 9pm great if not-well that's what Time Trials are there for right? I had a few replies (enough to ensure I would be online) so things were pretty rosy in my world...👍 :D Then my mum in law rolled up for the xmas ritual of dropping off/collecting presents and to say hello. Time passed so it was already 10.30pm by the the time I'd put something on oven and sat behind wheel (I'd gone too far to give up on GT for the night). I jumped in, got signed out of PSN apparently, so I double checked I was still online-yes-so after some gnashing of teeth I finally got onto a club time trial. Car completely wrong for course and was having a bit of a 'mare.:mad: When I was approaching the fast esses for the 5th time and this time determined not to lose it, I smelt something a little 'different'. I'd let the pan boil dry and tea/dinner was cremating itself. Sickener.:grumpy: Then it's midnight and my log in says 170% so somehow my earlier efforts had been that poor even the game blanked me for the day.:banghead:

I'm off to Apricot Hill (sounds great' I'm starving) to get a grip of this pit stop thing and put today/yesterday (it's 1.30am) behind me before apologising for my no show/lateness. Karma is a cruel mistress.:( Any tips re drifting with pedals would be appreciated as always...

Used the Ford Mark IV Race Car '67 and finished with a comfortable winning margin:

23315411084_ffd45936c6_b.jpg

The Ford Mark IV Race Car is quite fast and handles the track pretty well. It doesn't like the jump-chicane section though, so you have to really throttle back going thru the chicane if you want to keep the paint on your Mark IV Race Car un-scuffed.:nervous:

Wow I suck, by lap three I am 50sec's back running in 12th.

No, I perfer to think while this game is great fun it also requires some practice, practice, practice.... Plus I may not devote as much time as some people might. So I use the great advice here, remember it's a game, and when I crash a $200,000 racecar I laugh knowing I can reset and try again!

Ok true confession, best is 10th in the Corvette (gonna try a new tune today), I got into 9th place once (GT40) on lap 4 and spun out trying to get in the pits for tires. And real racecars are too expensive, I can race here all day for the cost of my wife's stern looks....i

UPDATE: New best 8th, missed 7th on the last corner, damn Camaro.... So for me practice helps, glad I have four days before I move on to the new challenges posted today.

Last edited:
Time change on Death Valley?!

Anyway:
View attachment 493016

2D is actually faster than the artificially aerodynamic 2J. Turns better and conserve more fuel and tire. No ballast, High Aero, Racing Hards, Low Turbo, and Power limiter. Great for beginners.

In which laps did you go in the pit with the 2D?

Hello, because i have the same problem, please tell me have you win the race with no crashes.
Thanks very much.

Sadly, no. I've tried this race 3 or 4 times I believe and in all of this races the game crashed coming back to the main menu.

Another 2J user here.

Praino tune, only differences are top speed(mine has 330kph top speed) and power(downtuned to 620pp), pitted at the end of lap 5, RH all the way, fastest lap was 2:20.

A nice close win with the Chevy Corvette C5-R '00

23604749669_5577bd9de1_b.jpg

It took me a couple of attempts before I was able to keep the tires under the Corvette long enough to edge the field for the win.:)

I then had a much more comfortable race with the Chevy Corvette ZR-1 LM Race Car:

23669083500_4d4b0f65b6_b.jpg

I, too, just completed a win with the Ford GT LM Race Car Spec II.

My time was 25:32.239 with an MoV of 4.8 seconds. Full setup upon request.

Strategy was RHs with a stop end of lap 5. Tire wear was down to 2's all-around, very even.

I believe I can better my time by perfecting my transmission setup, as I used a simple autoset of 199 mph with an AT.

But a win is a win!

Edit: I've repeated this several times, improving total time and MoV. The one stop strategy is the best - if you can stretch the tires and fuel to a useful 5 laps, which is almost easy on this car.

2nd Edit: A two stop strategy also works well! I used RS tires end of laps 3 and 6, RM thereafter. Wear is even, left-to-right and front-to-rear, on any compound. Also, the fuel mileage is good on this Ford.

I would like to see your tune and give it a go. :) Thanks 👍

Cheers Smiley.gif
& Happy-New-Year-2016-Wallapapers.jpg

@Brewguy44

Ford GT LM Race Car Spec II
620 PP

95 95
17.75 23.35
7 4
8 8
3 5
0.0 0.0
-0.14 +0.07
3 1
autoset 199 mph - automatic transmission
or flip to:
Fin 3.700
8-9-20
PL 97.5 %
500/650
29 kg@ -12

Used the Ford Mark IV Race Car '67 and finished with a comfortable winning margin:

23315411084_ffd45936c6_b.jpg

The Ford Mark IV Race Car is quite fast and handles the track pretty well. It doesn't like the jump-chicane section though, so you have to really throttle back going thru the chicane if you want to keep the paint on your Mark IV Race Car un-scuffed.:nervous:

Do you have a tune and pit strategy for this bad boy that you can share??

Using the Deltawing sounds fun. I have no interest in buying either Chaparral.
Did you use a tune for it?
Thanks

Using a slightly revised tune for my 2012 Deltawing, I've gone even quicker posting a 45 second win:

24013518265_40c354c769_b.jpg

Driving the Deltawing takes some getting used to, and it doesn't have the speed to pass the other cars with ease when you catch up with them, but its lap times are consistently fast and it doesn't need a pit stop during the 10 lap race so you pass a bunch of the fast cars while they are stationary:):)

My current tune for the 2012 Deltawing is as follows:

Ride: 30/60
Springs: 3.6/14.1
Comp: 3/4
Exten: 3/4
ARB: 1/3
Camber: .2/.1
Toe: -.03/-.03
Brakes: 4/5
LSD: 8/24/10
Auto trans @ 205mph
Wing: 438/1240
Ballast: 85, +5 (to the rear)
P.Limiter: 87.6%

I have also been able to post a relatively easy win with the Panoz Esperante GTR '98 after learning to be gentle with its tires:

23381165853_acbf674764_b.jpg

The Panoz Esperante is a strange beast, and has too much weight over its front tires, but still its pretty fast!

Last edited:
For the 2D, Priano's setup works quite well. I made a small change or two:

85/95
13.35/12.00
7/7
7/7
2/3
0/0
-8/+10
Brakes 1/0
Autoset 193 mph
9-14-38
400/700
27 kg @ 0
PL 61.6%
Hi RPM turbo
TC 0 or 1
RH front tires/RM rear tires

Strategy: Pit once end of lap 5, same RH/RM tires

You should lap comfortably in the 22's with a low in the 21's.
You will likely take the lead sometime on lap 5, but surrender it at your stop, retaking it no later than lap 8. You will lead by over 30 seconds at the end, which will be at about 25 minutes.

Make sure your chassis has had a recent refresh.
I'm gonna give it a shot. Bought the 2J and haven't changed anything from stock but I'm not really feeling it. I suppose I'll try 2J (on seasonal) first but I like all I'm hearing re 2D. Then I'm definitely, definitely setting times on all my clubs TT's. They won't be quickest, they won't be in cars I've tuned properly but that's the point isn't it? An all racers club that is supposed to cater for all comers, regardless of experience, is about differing times being posted that give confidence/motivation to anyone, especially those fairly new to game. Like me.
Now, that said, can you give me the settings you use for the 2J with tyres in mind? I'd really appreciate it. I'm trying to do too much in too little time and wasted time in the 500PP quick match ( my straight line speed line sucked and I was at a loss...but I'll be back)

This was the setup I used. Best lap on RH 2:21.xxx
Parts: LSD, carbon propshaft, stage 3 engine, standard size Enkei RS05RR.
Brakes 8 5
Suspension
60 65
12.50 12.00
2 1
4 3
4 6
0.2 0.4
0.00 +0.25
Transmission
Start with final to 5.000, then max speed, then set individual gears, then final.
220kph
1 3.024
2 2.217
3 1.777
4 1.460
5 1.239
6 1.079
Final 3.000
LSD
Power 82.2%
Downforce
350 600
Ballast 10kg
Pos +50%

Two pitstops, lap 4 and 8. Start on RH, then RH, end on RS. Remember to ad 10l of fuel to the recommended amount for the final stint, or you will run dry.
Forgive my ignorance. I'm not sure which motor the settings are for. I've got 2J and the Corvette race car lm06. I'm struggling massively as I've only just made the leap from winning intermediate to expert in the last seasonal events (and it took a lot of tweaks and gradual improvements to get that well earned win. So any help is massively appreciated. I have viper, Camaro, Corvette race cars modern and historic (a whole bunch after a shopping spree whilst too drunk to drive but not drunk enough to turn game off and go to bed.) and I'd love the chance to actually use them...

...can you give me the settings you use for the 2J with tyres in mind? I'd really appreciate it.

The 2J is so fast, I'm not sure the setup matters too much. There are quite a few differing setups for the 2J floating around out there, but here's mine:

Chaparral 2J '70

620 PP, Death Valley
RH tires front, RM tires rear
One pit stop, end of lap 5

60 55
10.4 14.4
5 6
3 3
4 6
0.0 0.0
.00 -.05
0 4
automatic transmission autoset 211 mph
5-8-8
PL 83.9 %
100 kg @ +13 (47:53)

no rigidity enhancement
TC 1

Last edited:
Do you have a tune and pit strategy for this bad boy that you can share??

I've gone back and re-ran the '67 Ford Mark IV Race Car and easily beat the field with a time of 25:09.439. The '67 Ford Mark IV is a bit skittish on this Death Valley track(and my tune needs some more work), but it is certainly fast enough to power past the field for a win. My best lap was a 2:18.385 on lap # 6. I'm using a pit strategy of RH tires for 4 laps, RM tires for 3 laps, then RM tires again for the last 3 laps. The left rear tire is wearing down the most and is starting to complain on the last lap of each of the above tire stints.

24030573705_14d702ced2_b.jpg

My current tune (which still needs work) is as follows:

Installed the High RPM turbo, so my '67 Ford Mark IV shows:
PPV: 620
HP: 640
Wgt: 1010

Ride: 100/105
Springs: 10.8/10.7
Comp: 3/4
Exten: 4/3
ARB: 4/4
Camber: 0.1/0.0
Toe: -.05/.07
Brakes: 5/3
LSD: 8/19/11
Wing: 250/450
Ballast: 10, -10 (to the front)
Auto set trans at 211mph
1st: 2.115
2nd: 1.425
3rd: 1.058
4th: 0.830
Final: 3.090

Good luck!
GTsail

Last edited:
The 2J is so fast, I'm not sure the setup matters too much. There are quite a few differing setups for the 2J floating around out there, but here's mine:

Chaparral 2J '70

620 PP, Death Valley
RH tires front, RM tires rear
One pit stop, end of lap 5

60 55
10.4 14.4
5 6
3 3
4 6
0.0 0.0
.00 -.05
0 4
automatic transmission autoset 211 mph
5-8-8
PL 83.9 %
100 kg @ +13 (47:53)

no rigidity enhancement
TC 1
Thanks Dotini, super fast response as always, you're a legend.

Forgive my ignorance. I'm not sure which motor the settings are for. I've got 2J and the Corvette race car lm06. I'm struggling massively as I've only just made the leap from winning intermediate to expert in the last seasonal events (and it took a lot of tweaks and gradual improvements to get that well earned win. So any help is massively appreciated. I have viper, Camaro, Corvette race cars modern and historic (a whole bunch after a shopping spree whilst too drunk to drive but not drunk enough to turn game off and go to bed.) and I'd love the chance to actually use them...
Oh, sorry, that was for the Corvette C6 Z06 LM racecar.

I have only just gained my super license so I'm finding the pit stops a little frustrating. :banghead: Talk of faster stops, differing fuel and tyre swops seem a long way from my stops which are a frenzy of button mashing and pedal pressing before getting same tyres I started with and however much fuel I apparently need:boggled: ....a real reality check for me.:grumpy:
Especially sickening as I need some extra cash after a pointless intoxicated splurge on cars I have no idea why I bought...:rolleyes:Less than 15 mill now and no intermediate races either (although the last expert race I really did go from nowhere to working my way up with car changes to eventually winning and feeling pretty damned good despite it being 3.30 am! Any tips on pits? I'm using a logi GT wheel...but not my head clearly! :indiff: :odd: :lol:

Yea Congrats on getting your super license 👍 and I agree with what Dotini says, it just takes a little time to get use to pitting, I had problems with them too at first, but once you get it you're good to go.

Thanks Dotini, super fast response as always, you're a legend.

This tune works I won with it, but I had to pit twice. First after 4 laps just for a quick tire change RH in front and RM in back and a bit of gas then after the 7th lap for tires same set up as last time and a bit more gas.

I caught the Viper at the last curve of the last lap before the finish line, I dipped inside the curve while he got stuck outside behind the Corvette Stingray Racer and it was on to Victory!!! 👍 :D

I got my Tank Car and Mucho Dinero!!! :cheers:

I'm going to try Dotini's Ford GT LM Race Car Spec II tune too!!!

Last edited:
What's up with The Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car, It's not a USA Car ?!? :odd: :confused:

You can't use it either, so why is it in this race?!? It make no sense whatsoever :boggled: :odd: :dopey:

Somebody at PD screwed up. :crazy: :dopey: :lol:

:cheers:

Oh, sorry, that was for the Corvette C6 Z06 LM racecar.
Thanks for prompt response. Appreciated. I've now got a couple of plans for tomorrow's attempt on Death Valley. I think there's too much Xmas single malt been consumed for any real success...(I say that after crashing my way round London City track :odd: :boggled: 🤬 )
Although I have to say I'm like a drowning man on a sinking ship, looking to grab onto anything that might help me on that cruel, cruel seasonal Death Valley nightmare....

Driving the Deltawing takes some getting used to, and it doesn't have the speed to pass the other cars with ease when you catch up with them, but its lap times are consistently fast and it doesn't need a pit stop during the 10 lap race so you pass a bunch of the fast cars while they are stationary:):)
Wow, is this the only car doesn't need pit stop for this race ? Bravo 👍

Latest Posts

Back