A-spec Expert Level Racing Car Challenge: Red Bull Ring

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 189 comments
1.21.070 very fast @ skeagracing....fast smooth and furious.
@smoothbore12 Thank you and humbled by your comments. Just so you know I have been working with this Ford GT 40 for a week with many laps of testing to get the right tune for the win. This car is very tail happy so you have to counter steer through the corners and turn the car with the brake and gas pedal simultaneously with minimal input from the steering wheel to keep the GT from going off into the weeds at the corners.

Advance driving techniques that are possible only with a wleel and not the DS3 at least for me. I notice your try when i get for the first time the Ford IV and realise whats going on cause is happy tail also.Anyway is a great achivement and you made it look easy.Am a fun of smooth drive and i like your style a lot. Hope some day to put on my old logitech ( if it is still works) and remeber my gt 1-2-3 days.Of course am to late to gt6 but as they say: its never end before the fat lady sings, Cheers @skeagracing.

Advance driving techniques that are possible only with a wleel and not the DS3 at least for me..
You can achieve some counter steering on a DS3/Sixaxis under the right conditions and by lots of quick pulsing the buttons... or, check out the car's LSD settings.
This is the main complain for us controller drivers, but for such cases the LSD acceleration settings is your best friend.
If you feel that a car is too tail happy, have too much horsepower for you to handle, you have problems on the curve exits, and some unexplicable control loss occurs to you (due to bumpy surfaces), just bring down the LSD accel.
In the too much power section we have cars like the Shelby Cobra, or some Vipers.

OK, I'm sad that the winter olympics had ended, but I managed to do some runs.
LEXUS LF LC Vision Gran Turismo
LEXUS_LFLCVGT_REDBULL_600pp01.jpg
Tight handling for a Lexus!

Autobacs Garaiya GT300 Base Model
GARAIYAGT300_REDBULL_600pp01.jpg

Minor hiccups with this one, but Im pretty satisfied I got this time with the default suspension.
The Garaiya and I have a passionate love/hate relationship

Lamborghini NOMAD Diablo GT1
LAMBO_NOMAD_DIABLO_REDBULL_600pp01.jpg

Nice car for a Lamborghini, wilder than the NSX Base model of my previous post, so I had to tweak the LSD accel and braking sensibilities.

Did anyone drove OLD CARS!?!
Wanted to see what the ruckus was all about so...
CHALLENGER R/T Race Car '70
CHALLENGER_ RT_RaceCar_REDBULL_600pp01.jpg

Nice handling for a 70's mucle car, but in its stock form lacks downforce but have very good acceleration, so slow entries and fast exits for this one.

More goodies from the 70's
Toyota 7 '70
TOYOTA_7_REDBULL_600pp01.jpg

I thought that the detune would hurt the car, but it mantained its attributes. Good acceleration and nice downforce made driving this a pleasant event.

Thanks for the advice @ishikawa2501 , i need a lot of practice with th
Ds3 and i use the butons to steer since ps1. With a wheel was easier to me at least to have more stable times and right now am trying to do as much as i can before the server goes down. Its depressing ,griding for credits ,play the seasonals,trying different cars, learn to drift,and search for the right tunes.I think am in a good way for 2 months play only.

I didn't realize that it would take me several races to get back in the groove since my hand issue. I have seen a variety of cars in this event. Some of the choices and wins are quite remarkable. I thought I'd try BMW against BMW. Ended up P2 in the BMW Base Model race car. I don't know whose tune. I do know had I listened to my gut and changed the FG to 3.73 I would have won this. Gonna try it again. The car handles very well and predictable, just didn't have the right Final Gear.

Attachments

• 20180227_174451[1].jpg
    20180227_174451[1].jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20180227_174424[1].jpg
    20180227_174424[1].jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 18
I saw @skeagracing on the Tuscan. I always tought that TVR was the musclecar of the UK. So I wanted a try of it.
Tuscan Speed 6 Touring Car 600pp
TVR_TUSCAN_TC_REDBULL_600pp01.jpg

Nice drive, a little on the tailhappy side mostly because of the car's acceleration.

Wanted to try the RE AMEMIYA's RX7s but one of it was not in the race car league. So...
RE AMEMIYA ASPARADRINK RX7 '04 600pp
AMEMIYA_RX704_REDBULL_600pp01.jpg

RE AMEMIYA ASPARADRINK RX7 '06 600pp
AMEMIYA_RX706_REDBULL_600pp01.jpg

The '04, oh man! Such a blissful drive! An extremely controller friendly car, ultra responsive, ultra predictable. I dare to say its on the RAYBRIG HSV-010 league.
The '06 is also a very capable drive, with a nice power bump compared to the '04. This should be the option for seasoned wheel drivers as they can exploit fully the car's potential.

I started visiting the recommended cars cars section and the NISMO Z is listed, and its almost always on the low-tier of the race roster, so I imagined the car was not so good...
XANAVI NISMO Z 06 600pp
XANAVI_NISMO_Z06_REDBULL_600pp01.jpg

Not a bad car at all, but it lacks something. Sorry on this one, it dindt left an impressiuon on me.

And finally, another oldie!
CORVETTE Z06 C2 Race Car '63
CORVETTE_Z06C2_RC_REDBULL_600pp01.jpg

A tough drive. It show its age in the sense that the car is focused on acceleration and left handling to a support role.
The default camber angles didnt work with it, but almost against it IMHO.
I tried fast-searching for a tune to no avail, so I tweaked the LSD (A MUST for controller drivers), got a High RPM turbo, maximized the downforce and brought the rear camber to 1.5 from the 3.5 to improve acceleration and braking.
Holy 🤬. This car sure can accelerate! but you'll suffer on the curves if you dont brake really early. With all the "tunning" I improved the time by 8 seconds. Its an interesting car and I would like to try more stuff, but I guess I'll try some Touring Cars.
The time is running out and I want to try more cars :grumpy:

Do some rally cars. I had some fun with the Audi Sport Quattro.
Will give some more of them a chance. Funny to drive and very good on a race track if tuned well.

In some of these cars I dont remember if they reached the 600pp but they were on the 590-600pp range
I read about the Alfa Romeo 155 recommendations
ALFA ROMEO 155 2.5 V6 TI
ALFAROMEO_155_REDBULL_600pp01.jpg

I used the @praiano63 tune. I'll say again. the more I watch ath the settings the more confused I am, but you cant deny its efectiveness!

SUBARU IMREZA GT300
SUBARU_IMPREZA_GT300_REDBULL_600pp01.jpg

Nice car, didnt needed a lot of thinkering as far as I remember.

On the other end of the spectrum
LEXUS IS F CCS-R
LEXUS_ISF_CCSR_REDBULL_600pp01.jpg

Oh boy! where do I start? This car is very atractive because of the 7 gear gearbox, so it helps it to have awesome acceleration but looking at the suspension I was mindblownd.:boggled:
The front camber angle was greater than the rear one, and the front toe was positive while the rear was negative!!
In this state the car was drivable alright, but you have to brake reaaally early due to the high cambers and the understeer but one you reach the right speed it manages curves very good. I was thinking that this car could be used for educational purposes because you have to behave well to find the apexes for it to shine and it doesnt overreact to the terrain as long as you stay away from the track edges.
I invested a couple of hours on this one to "tame" it by giving it higher spring rates, lowering the height and tweaking the cambers and toes. Getting the victory with this felt like a huge reward on a controller:D
I feel this one has more potential to be exploited, its just that I had to test more cars
EDIT:
Added a new car:
Challenger SRT8 Touring Car
CHALLENGER_SRT8_TC_REDBULL_600pp01.jpg

The new Challenger tuned by polyphony. Aside from adding more power (and not quite reaching the 600p), tweaking the rear camber to 1.5, and setting the LSD to 7/30/30 to make it more controller friendly, didnt mess with it that much.

Last edited:
Don't know how to explain this one. I ran the Opel Calibra and finished in P2. The I raced the Vauxhall Calibra which has less PP and weighs more with almost the same field. The Zonda LM wasn't in the first race but the BMW F1 was. I happen to know this track very well so it has to be some mysterious PD glitch. Same car essentially with 2 different names. Used the stock suspension settings on both cars only too the camber to 0.0. This could be the difference, instead of using -0.06 toe front and +0.06 rear on the OPel, I used -0.08 front toe on the Vauxhall and +0.08 on the reach. I didn't touch the trans slider on the Vauxhall I left it a top speed 193, where as the Open I moved to 162 top speed. The both have the same final, didn't touch the LSD on either but ran 10/10 brake balance on the Vauxhall. My best laps was lap 3 which was a 1:27.086. I had passed and cleared all the AI by the end of lap 2 in the Vauxhall so all I had to do was hit my marks for the next 3 laps. All most blew it in one turn, but the P1 car did the same thing and I passed him before the end of lap 2. I saved the replay of the win but not with the Opel. Many thanks to @skeagracing for the tuning tips on the Opel.

Edit: Tried the prize car with the same type of setup came in a miserable P5 , 18 sec. behind.

Edit II: Alpine VGT. This was the most fun drive of all the cars I've used. This car is butter smooth and handles on rails. I didn't know if the rules would let me in but Yeah!! They did. My fastest lap was 1:26.352 I think I know it was 1:26.352 before I crossed the finish line. Watched the P1 Zonda go straight off the track and smake the wall nose first. I had been dogging him pretty hard. Done for the time being. I ran this on 5 times back to back and my hand was starting to bother me.

Attachments

• 20180307_174943[1].jpg
    20180307_174943[1].jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20180307_175059[1].jpg
    20180307_175059[1].jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20180307_200134[1].jpg
    20180307_200134[1].jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180307_200205[1].jpg
    20180307_200205[1].jpg
    93 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
585PP Lotus Elise Race Car 1996. Tune by me. Fast lap 1:27.514. Pass for the win over the Ford GT LM Race Car on lap 5 at Rauch Corner. Winning margin 05.108. Thank you @Racin510s for the idea to run this car. You did me no favors as it took me from the start of the Red Bull Ring many weeks ago to win with this Race Car.

Last edited:
Back