Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
  • 117,202 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a ton of lag. One car was stuck at the start, and I had lag issues for the few laps of the race I was there. I suspect that is the cause of the bent sheetmetal early on, and after waiting for the lag to subside for a few laps I bailed in case it was me causing it, not wanting me lagging to ruin anyone else's race.

That was me stuck at the start waiting for my black screen to go away. Surprise, everyone was already gone when I awoke from my slumber... from 2nd to 11th in 1.5 seconds.

You set a blistering quali lap. I think it was 204.3 and it's really too bad you got DC'd. Ironically, it got better when you left and the grid size went down to 12, but the field also spread out which helps. Hope you have better luck next time as you are obviously a fast driver.

I've got to remember to take a quick pic of the quali lap times before the race starts. Nice to have for the records.
 
^ They said the lag improved a lot after you left but that could have just been because it knocked it down to 12 people on track and not specifically connected to you.
 
^ They said the lag improved a lot after you left but that could have just been because it knocked it down to 12 people on track and not specifically connected to you.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply he caused the lag. The spreading of the field and the magic number of 12 drivers was probably the reason.

PS Congratz on a few drivers that qualified for the registry:

Division 2 Silver (2.334 - 2.666):

GTP_LUCKY / luckylefty2gunz / USA (2.471)
GTP_TrackBound7 / TrackBound7 / USA (2.474)
GTP_Diabolical / Diabolical_J / USA (2.552)
 
Last edited:
There was a ton of lag. One car was stuck at the start, and I had lag issues for the few laps of the race I was there. I suspect that is the cause of the bent sheetmetal early on, and after waiting for the lag to subside for a few laps I bailed in case it was me causing it, not wanting me lagging to ruin anyone else's race.

I don't think it was you specifically, just that extra person over 12 as it did seem to get better when you left and was fairly decent after you left.

Off topic, It's been awhile since I've done an A-Spec race but doesn't PD only do races with 12 cars on a track in the Spec events?

I did do the stopwatch test on the replays to compare the lap times on the replay to an actual watch. I didn't have much time and could only time a couple people. For the first race I had time to test myself and the leader at the time, Marcus Garvey. For both of us the game clock was roughly 2 seconds slower than my stopwatch. For the second race I timed myself again but then picked the host (carracerptp). My time was still roughly 2 seconds off while carracerptp's was within 0.2 seconds. I know these results are fairly inconclusive since I didn't test everyone nor do I know what their settings are, but still pretty interesting. I did make sure to update my PS3 clock, clear cache, reset modem, etc for this one too...
 
WRP001
Yes, I didn't mean to imply he caused the lag. The spreading of the field and the magic number of 12 drivers was probably the reason.

I didn't mean to imply that you implied that, your comment wasn't there when I replied. :)
 
Last edited:
I didn't take it as anyone saying I specifically caused the lag, so no worries there. I'll try another time when we have fewer in the room. Hopefully it was just the drop in drivers on track that corrected the lag after I left.

Blind, what you found makes sense. I noticed at one point I was next to carracer and despite having pulled next to him with a lot of momentum from the draft, and as I began to overtake his car sort of fluttered next to me and jutted ahead, as if I had bumped him instead of pulled along side. Something was up with the room when I was there.
 
GT5 seems to make two steps forward and one back every patch. If I can get the little girl asleep before 8 I'll be there to drive around by myself at the back. If not, I'll see you on Friday night.
 
PS Congratz on a few drivers that qualified for the registry:[/QUOTE]


thank you but after i sent in my times i realized i had sent in the wrong timed run for sector two. i sent a time that was substantailly slower but looks like it was still pretty good. i had a big slide in time i sent lol my bad
 
PS Congratz on a few drivers that qualified for the registry:

I really need to do that. I did half of it way back when, but never finished and submitted it.
 
Quick question guys, what kind of starts we use? Standing or rolling?
 
Jav
Quick question guys, what kind of starts we use? Standing or rolling?

We did standing starts earlier today.
 
PS Congratz on a few drivers that qualified for the registry:

Thanks. I'm excited, but it will be a struggle splitting time between practicing for this series and trying to compete in WRS. TrackBound7 is another guy in this series new to the registry.
 
thank you but after i sent in my times i realized i had sent in the wrong timed run for sector two. i sent a time that was substantailly slower but looks like it was still pretty good. i had a big slide in time i sent lol my bad

Well now you can run the time trials weekly if you want to improve your division. And if you are really that fast you'll win D2 and get promoted after a bit. I dare you. :sly:

I submitted back in June after playing GT5 for a grand total of 6 weeks and having a wheel for 3 weeks. Started in D3-Bronze and it took me 5 months to drag my handicap down to D2.

http://wrs.gtplanet.net/driver/GTP_WRP001/

But I learned a lot and improved along the way.

Thanks. I'm excited, but it will be a struggle splitting time between practicing for this series and trying to compete in WRS. TrackBound7 is another guy in this series new to the registry.

Ohh, didn't see TrackBound (fixed my earlier post)... sorry about that and congratz to you too TrackBound. Lots of D2 level drivers in this series... that's pretty good! I'm seeing the following:

New entrants:

GTP_LUCKY / luckylefty2gunz / USA (2.471)
GTP_TrackBound7 / TrackBound7 / USA (2.474)
GTP_Diabolical / Diabolical_J / USA (2.552)

And us veterans who have had to work hard to improve our handicaps (second number is current):

GTP_dsgerbc / dsgerbc / USA (2.639 / 2.514)
GTP_WRP001 / WRP001 / USA (3.654 / 2.733)
GTP_Chuk / chukabilly / USA (3.959 / 2.815)
GTP_Gravitron / Gravitron / USA (4.430 / 2.885)
GTP_ealirendur / ealirendur / Australia (3.441 / 3.570)
GTP_akmuq / akmuq / Ireland (4.156 / 3.800)
 
Last edited:
Daughter woke up, this is why I put Friday down as my primary. Have fun.
 
Thanks for the update on the WRS standings. My practice for the qualifier speaks louder in terms of my results than my actual skills. Loving the AMG car and Nurb just kept leading to a little more time at the wheel. Worth it to know that I am capable of performing anywhere near dsg. Just means I need to practice that much more for the weekly stuff :)
 
WRP mentioned me.:)


I really haven't done WRS in ages, sometimes I just can't get into the frame of mind to drive. I would have loved last weeks combo but I was gone for most of that week, I'm not really a fan of GT5 rallying(although I did win D4 in a rally event before) but I might give it ago. Since my last submitted WRS week I've won 17 (counting in my sig) online races, so I think I've improved. :)
 
Rough night for me, I'm definitely out of practice from serious competition. Need to do some more practice with worn tires, after 7-8 laps I could barely control my car and threw away podium finishes in both races. Oh well.

Here's the results from the late Tuesday races.

Tuesday EST Race 1 Results:

imagevdz.jpg



Tuesday EST Race 2 Results:

imagedd.jpg
 
Woah, since akmuq is only division 3 bronze and he's faster than me, if I submitted I would probably end up in Division 4 or 5. I was practicing the qualifier for a bit before christmas (sector 2), I'll probably continue again soon and set up a GTP account.

About the races: two third places aren't bad for me on my worst least favourite track. Quali was horrible for me when I tried to push, so I set my mind to drive carefully and avoid incidents during the races; and it paid off. Apologies to Owen for squeezing you on the straight in Race 1. I wasn't paying as much attention to what was behind me as I should have. Also apologies to Yuri, when you crashed at corner 1, the replay shows I touched you. It was very soft, and it happened very fast, but it was enough to send you flying sideways. Very sorry. I'll take a penalty if it is warranted. :ouch:
 
Last edited:
Woah, since akmuq is only division 3 bronze and he's faster than me, if I submitted I would probably end up in Division 4 or 5. I was practicing the qualifier for a bit before christmas (sector 2), I'll probably continue again soon and set up a GTP account.

I'm a much better driver then I was when I competed in WRS, I posted a couple of splits a couple of weeks ago and they had me 2nd in D3, but I didn't finish of the week.
 
If I had known there were only 9 in the lounge I would have dropped in to watch the 2nd race. Could race as I was watching my two sons who would never let me get away with driving when I could be playing soccer with them in the back yard. :lol:

One of these nights I'd like to try streaming a race using my PVR on twitch.tv.... maybe even try my hand/voice at a play by play voice over ala Wardez. Of course I'd rather drive.

Woah, since akmuq is only division 3 bronze and he's faster than me, if I submitted I would probably end up in Division 4 or 5. I was practicing the qualifier for a bit before christmas (sector 2), I'll probably continue again soon and set up a GTP account.

Run the qualifier. You wont regret it. 👍

And by the way sharing/discussing/implying your GTP_Registry qualifier time is a big no no. You will get a guaranteed GTPlanet infraction for doing so. I hope you all run it, but once you submit don't discuss your times and if you haven't run it yet, don't ask.
 
Couple things. First, I think we're going to have to make a new rule for Tuesday's races. The early race was at max capacity and a few people had problems getting in the room which ruffled a few feathers. One of the UK guys almost didn't get in and that time slot is specifically for them. So from now on I think we need to say that you can run in either race on Tuesday, but only one. If you race in the early race you can't run in the late race and vice versa. This way people won't file into the early race just for the hell of it and possibly take away a spot for a UK driver.

This will also address another issue I hadn't thought of until last night. Lefty won both races in the early session and scored max points minus the bonus point for pole. He made the comment about coming back for the late race just to try to get that extra bonus point. Per the rules, that was a legit way of thinking but it didn't sit well with me that somebody could better their standing that way. So allowing drivers to only take part in one race on Tuesday fixes that.

Also, I think we're going to do away with the penalties during practice/qualifying plan. I really like the concept and I think it has some nice benefits, but if the host doesn't remember to turn them off for the race it would be a disaster. I almost forgot to turn them off last night, if I hadn't remembered we would have had to stop the race and do a manual restart which would have been a pain in the 🤬. I hate the way penalties work and they have enough of an impact that it could have effected the outcome of the race and it wouldn't have been fair to just have that one race out of the week with penalties on. So in the interest of simplicity/efficiency I think we need to do away with that idea.

Otherwise, everything seemed to go fairly well last night, technically speaking. I was a little rusty though, both in driving and directing, so hopefully things will be a bit better on Friday. It was great to see some new faces out there and nice to see clean driving throughout the field. This is a tricky course but I think we got through it relatively unscathed.
 
Too bad about the penalties as I really liked that system, but the race itself is more important so I understand the decision not to risk it. You could just have all hosts follow a written checklist and must check it before green flag. This is the worst track for it though, rest of season not so big of a deal.

Good idea on the Tuesday restriction.

Any thoughts on a 12 driver cap for the races? The game doesn't seem to like larger grids at the moment.
 
Too bad about the penalties as I really liked that system, but the race itself is more important so I understand the decision not to risk it. You could just have all hosts follow a written checklist and must check it before green flag. This is the worst track for it though, rest of season not so big of a deal.

I had post it notes on my screen to remind me! Hi teh or what? :)

Good idea on the Tuesday restriction.

Any thoughts on a 12 driver cap for the races? The game doesn't seem to like larger grids at the moment.

We've a potential grid of 20 for Saturday's race! Quart into a pint pot. Or draw lots and have two lounges?
 
RDAardvark
I had post it notes on my screen to remind me! Hi teh or what? :)

We've a potential grid of 20 for Saturday's race! Quart into a pint pot. Or draw lots and have two lounges?

Some times a sticky note is worth a lot :lol: You did a great job as host so keep doing what you're doing!

You guys are doing something right to attract so many. If there are so many maybe should restrict people to two races per week?

Is there another host that could commit to Saturday? Idea would be to offset the time and add similar restriction as Tuesday -- one race per driver. Basically would amount to adding a 5th slot. If the time is diff by 2 hours can use the same lounge. Like noon eastern. It's a lot to ask for 5 slots a week though. :crazy:

I know of one other guy who was considering signing up and would race sat... Not sure if he decided. Is registration still open?
 
Last edited:
Registration is still open. Only your best four week's results count to your final total, so we can keep registration open at least until next weekend.
 
Too bad about the penalties as I really liked that system, but the race itself is more important so I understand the decision not to risk it. You could just have all hosts follow a written checklist and must check it before green flag. This is the worst track for it though, rest of season not so big of a deal.

Good idea on the Tuesday restriction.

Any thoughts on a 12 driver cap for the races? The game doesn't seem to like larger grids at the moment.

I like the penalties system too, but I know that even if I have post-it notes and checklists galore I will eventually forget to turn them off for the race and to me that would be a disaster. We've never had an issue (that I know of) that warranted having penalties on during qualifying, so it's probably just an unnecessary and potentially messy option.

I think we'll probably have to start limiting rooms to 12 since this problem seems to be quite prevalent right now. We all but confirmed the magic number in the first race, started with 13 and had lag but as soon as it dropped to 12 everything worked out. FYI, Marcus was with us for the late race and had no issues, at least none related to connection stability. We didn't see any issues in the late race and we were under 12 for both. I did see some weird things during the race but nothing that had a real effect on game play.

The only issue with limiting to 12 is that the points are setup for 16 people. Since we've already got 2 races in it's really too late to change the points structure and RDAardvark will paddle his way across the pond to smack me if we have to re-work the spreadsheet again. So we'll just have to leave the points as they are and pretend we never have more than 12 show up. 👍

We've a potential grid of 20 for Saturday's race! Quart into a pint pot. Or draw lots and have two lounges?


Of course limiting the rooms to 12 isn't going to help this situation. Only 7 drivers are listed as primaries for that day and Saturday's have historically seen the lowest turn out of the week so I hope it won't be a problem. I'll make a post Saturday asking that if people have already raced multiple times that week then they should probably sit Saturday out to make sure others have spots available.




A friendly reminder to everyone, when waiting for qualifying to begin/for the race countdown to end it's very important that you stay in the pits. Having everyone in the pits during the countdown ensures an accurate starting grid and helps reduce the black screen delay before the race start. 👍
 
A friendly reminder to everyone, when waiting for qualifying to begin/for the race countdown to end it's very important that you stay in the pits. Having everyone in the pits during the countdown ensures an accurate starting grid and helps reduce the black screen delay before the race start. 👍

Question: If we do group qualifying and we are in the first group are we allowed to exit to the lobby and watch the 2nd group qualify when our group is finished? My experience has been that this doesn't impact the timing system, but I understand if you want to hold us all in the pits.
 
Question: If we do group qualifying and we are in the first group are we allowed to exit to the lobby and watch the 2nd group qualify when our group is finished? My experience has been that this doesn't impact the timing system, but I understand if you want to hold us all in the pits.


Sorry if my post was mis-leading. After the first group qualifies they should go back to the lounge and spectate from there. After all groups have qualified then all drivers should enter the pits and stay there during the race countdown. This is our standard procedure but I realize there are a lot of guys who haven't raced with us before and don't know the procedure so I was just trying to make sure everyone knew. 👍
 
Sorry if my post was mis-leading. After the first group qualifies they should go back to the lounge and spectate from there. After all groups have qualified then all drivers should enter the pits and stay there during the race countdown. This is our standard procedure but I realize there are a lot of guys who haven't raced with us before and don't know the procedure so I was just trying to make sure everyone knew. 👍

Thanks. I believe yesterday for EU the entire first group just all sat in the pits and waited. Worked fine, but more fun to watch. 👍
 
Random thought. Can we try to do a race in 'free-run' mode (maybe during one of the spec/spot race days)? Sure, we'll lose the replay (so racecraft will have to be done on the honor basis or the steward's discretion if he happens to be watching) and we'll need a steward to take a snapshot of the standings when the lead car crosses the finish (and that will probably have to be the end of everyone's race), we'll have to do a formation lap etc. On the plus side - no lag issues and full grid feasible. Just throwing it out there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back