Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
  • 117,214 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a few more people this season but we've also added an extra race alot, I believe it will work itself out.

That extra race slot doesn't help when we have to limit the room to 12, darn PD :yuck: 4 X 12 = 48 as does 3 X 16 = 48. Here's to hoping we can get back up to 16 racers soon :cheers:
 
My motto has always been to expect/require the least from the members, all I want you guys to have to do is show up to one of the various time slots and race. I don't want you to have to fill out forms every week and follow multiple threads.

Well we tried it and you didn't like it so we move on. 👍 As I said before all the interest is a complement to the series and the car choice so might as well stick to what works for you.

See you on track Friday (I hope).
 
My feelings exactly. To back it up, I got this PM today from a long time member:

"For the next season, are we going to have to do all this sign-up stuff spanning different threads? My favorite thing about the Capp Cup was that you could just sign up and show up to race without having to go through any crap."


This whole, complicated system is setup to allow people to race at different times according to when their schedule allows and not have to be locked into a firm schedule Having people sign up for certain times or days defeats the purpose and makes the system broken. I set this up specifically to avoid all this mess and confusion and over several seasons and 50+ races it worked like a gem. We have a few more people this season but we've also added an extra race alot, I believe it will work itself out.

My motto has always been to expect/require the least from the members, all I want you guys to have to do is show up to one of the various time slots and race. I don't want you to have to fill out forms every week and follow multiple threads. This is a video game, there's no money, sponsorships or careers on the line here so if somebody gets locked out of a room it's not that big of a deal. We all have 4 opportunities to race every week and we all get to drop 2 complete weeks so missing a race or two shouldn't be that big of a crisis.


We will continue on with the rest of the season as originally planned with the addition of the 'one race on Tuesday' rule. This rule is mainly to make sure the early race has spots available for the UK racers who are several hours ahead of most of us and can't attend the other weekday races. We're not going to do sign up sheets or have separate threads, no reserved spots or designated times. The race lounge will open four times each week and the first 12 people in the room get to race that night. If it happens to be the only night you can race and you're locked out of the room, PM a steward on PSN and they will ask for a volunteer to make room for you. Out of 12 people one of them will be generous enough to step aside. (@RDAardvark, you're lock up had nothing to do with going to the XMB. I've seen it happen several times and it always happens right after a race. Only the game freezes, but the rest of the PS3 works fine).

Yes, I agree with all points. 👍
 
Hoping to be online sometime after 8pm EST in the ORCA Champ/Alfa lounge. Need some SERIOUS practice on the Daytona RC.
 
We're not going to do sign up sheets or have separate threads, no reserved spots or designated times. The race lounge will open four times each week and the first 12 people in the room get to race that night. If it happens to be the only night you can race and you're locked out of the room, PM a steward on PSN and they will ask for a volunteer to make room for you. Out of 12 people one of them will be generous enough to step aside.

As I understand it, this means turn up on our 'primary' choice and all should be fine.

Simplicity is sometimes best, and follows on with RDAardvark's note on being "not too serious". Whatever happens, I'll be in on Saturday evening (sunday morning for me the future boy) to enjoy a fun event.
 
I just had to switch my primary night to sat. I hope thatd cool, I got a new job and Im working the night shift so sat. is really my only time to race now.
 
Random gripe about Tuesday's race: I think wandering all over the banked parts to break the draft is a pretty low move. Really annoying.
 
Random gripe about Tuesday's race: I think wandering all over the banked parts to break the draft is a pretty low move. Really annoying.

Isn't that against OLR to change your line more than once to break someone's draft, or does that only apply when it comes to blocking someone from passing?
 
OLR says one move per straight, banked sections technically aren't straight, but are flat-out. Hence, technically it might not be against the letter of the OLR, but certainly against the spirit of it.
 
Random gripe about Tuesday's race: I think wandering all over the banked parts to break the draft is a pretty low move. Really annoying.

👍 👍
 
Also, especially at the end, I think you should either push the other person or pass them, not back off when you get close to them.
 
Well we tried it and you didn't like it so we move on. 👍 As I said before all the interest is a complement to the series and the car choice so might as well stick to what works for you.

Hope my comments didn't come off as being too negative. I do appreciate the suggestion and understand where it came from, but the more I got to thinking about it the more I realized that our system is setup specially to NOT rely on these kinds of things and trying to implement them won't work. It's like trying to retro-fit a round hole to fit a square peg; it can be done but it's a lot of work and you would have been better of make a square hole in the first place.

I really think once the initial excitement dies down everything will start to balance out. We had nearly 25 people race regularly with us last season and we never had an issue with overcrowded rooms. Granted we weren't limited to 12 people per room, but we have added a 4th race this season which brings us back to the same capacity. My only real concern is making sure the UK guys are able to get into the Tuesday Early Race. There may be an instance or two where somebody gets locked out of a room and can't race, I will apologize for that in advance but we've done our best (short of racing every night) to make sure everybody has as many chances to race as possible. I have faith that everything will work out fine, this system has worked great in the past 3 seasons and it's the main reason a lot of guys are here. It's not yet broken so I'm not going to try to fix it. 👍

Random gripe about Tuesday's race: I think wandering all over the banked parts to break the draft is a pretty low move. Really annoying.

This is a big NO-NO in my book and will likely lead to disqualification from the race if I see it done intentionally. In fairness, it can be a bit tricky keeping the car in a straight line on the banking but deliberate swerving to break the draft or block a driver will not be tolerated.
 
Also, especially at the end, I think you should either push the other person or pass them, not back off when you get close to them.

That sounds like planning your attack a couple laps in advance and waiting to pass right before the finish.👍
 
Can I join this? I'm available on Friday. I already have OwensRacing on my friends list and I have raced in the ORCA Indy 500 with you all. I also was helping Owens put together the Brickyard 400 which never arose. Not a big deal if I can't due to closed registration or whatever the case may be. I would love to drive this car in a playoff type series and earn a spot on team ORCA against GTP for the final race.
 
I wrote a really long post, but decided it was too long, so here is the tl;dr version.

We don't need rules and sigh up sheets. Everyone I have raced with has been a gentleman. I'm sure if any of us raced an early race then turned up to the evening race and it started to get full, we would bow out, it is just the right thing to do.

I saw it in action in the Capp Cup, Friday room got full and all the Tuesday guys were quick to offer to make room.

We are danger of trying to solve problems that don't exist yet. We all want these races to work smoothly, let's just trust each other.

TrackBound mentioned a practice session tonight at 8 EST, I'll try to make that. Planning a birthday party for my 2 year old is eating up my track time. Hope to see you tonight.
 
Hope my comments didn't come off as being too negative. I do appreciate the suggestion and understand where it came from, but the more I got to thinking about it the more I realized that our system is setup specially to NOT rely on these kinds of things and trying to implement them won't work. It's like trying to retro-fit a round hole to fit a square peg; it can be done but it's a lot of work and you would have been better of make a square hole in the first place.

👍 Absolutely Brandon. No problems at all. You are the director and you're doing a great job... just look at the turnout!

I direct another series and I'm very glad to be a participating driver here and nothing more. I know how much works goes into administering a series and hosting races. Thanks for all the hard work and thought you guys put into it and allowing us drivers to do what we love...RACE!

See you on Friday.

Also, especially at the end, I think you should either push the other person or pass them, not back off when you get close to them.

I don't agree. You are not obligated to pass if you don't want to as long as you are not interfering with the other guys lap (no blocking or mock passing/fake diving). If it were just two guys on track (head to head race) I would tend to agree as it would turn into one of those silly banked bicycle races they run where neither guy races until the very last lap as they want to draft the other guy. But in a full grid there are big risks to trying the strategy you mentioned. If you are in the lead pack you risk the pack catching you. If you are at the end you lose all chance to catch the packs further up. IMO, this is legit racing. You could almost consider bump drafting more "unfair" as it's two guys teaming up against others, but that also is part of draft racing.
 
Last edited:
Also, especially at the end, I think you should either push the other person or pass them, not back off when you get close to them.


I don't agree. You are not obligated to pass if you don't want to as long as you are not interfering with the other guys lap (no blocking or mock passing/fake diving). If it were just two guys on track (head to head race) I would tend to agree as it would turn into one of those silly banked bicycle races they run where neither guy races until the very last lap as they want to draft the other guy. But in a full grid there are big risks to trying the strategy you mentioned. If you are in the lead pack you risk the pack catching you. If you are at the end you lose all chance to catch the packs further up. IMO, this is legit racing. You could almost consider bump drafting more "unfair" as it's two guys teaming up against others, but that also is part of draft racing.


I didn't really understand what he was getting at, but I agree with your points. If you're in the lead coming around the final laps on a draft track like this then you're a sitting duck. Proper strategy dictates that if you're in second place you hang there patiently and try to setup a draft pass on the final banked section. Nothing wrong with this, it shows that the driver is using his brain and thinking ahead which is always encouraged. 👍



@Ken, you're in buddy. Expect a PM with a registration link soon. ;)
 
Can I race on friday if there is room even though I raced on Tuesday?
 
^ Probably, but if the room does get full and some people who haven't raced need to get in I may have to ask you to sit it out. Not just you personally though, I'll ask for volunteers who have already raced or plan to race on Saturday. 👍
 
I'd suggest that anyone with a primary night not on Friday abstain if the room has more than 12 people.
 
^ Probably, but if the room does get full and some people who haven't raced need to get in I may have to ask you to sit it out. Not just you personally though, I'll ask for volunteers who have already raced or plan to race on Saturday. 👍


If someone wants a spot I will be the first to volunteer 👍
 
I didn't really understand what he was getting at, but I agree with your points. If you're in the lead coming around the final laps on a draft track like this then you're a sitting duck. Proper strategy dictates that if you're in second place you hang there patiently and try to setup a draft pass on the final banked section. Nothing wrong with this, it shows that the driver is using his brain and thinking ahead which is always encouraged. 👍

And if you are fast enough to create a gap on the technical section you break the draft and win. That's the only bad part about DRC is the technical section is too short. IRC is better in that respect and harder to get a great launch off the final turn so more chance to break the draft a little. La Sarthe should be interesting draft-wise, but there is a pit in that race to break things up. The other tracks it shouldn't come into play as much as DRC.

There were a couple great examples of this strategy or lack of during the Tuesday EU time slot.

Race 1: I should have employed this strategy on the final lap if I was using my head. BUt in the excitement of coming from behind the entire race I didn't use my head and passed RDArdvark on the first banked section only to be draft passed on the second section to the finish line.

Race 2: Lucky and NCemtB were kind of backing off as they didn't want to lead (according to lucky on the mic after the race) and it allowed me to catch up. Had NCemtB not gone off track on the bus stop I may have been able to draft past both in the final banked section. As it was NCemtB lost a sure 2nd place by not going all out (if that's indeed what they did) so there are risks to employing this strategy too early.

PS> I plan to race Friday and it's my primary night, but I'm willing to give up the spot to someone who hasn't raced yet and can't race Saturday. i.e. if Friday is their only shot I will volunteer to sit it out. Next week Friday may be my only shot so hopefully someone will return the favor.
 
Nice work Owens, nice way to kill a bit of time at work on this slow Thursday 👍
 
Nice work Owens, nice way to kill a bit of time at work on this slow Thursday 👍

I thought the same thing, except I'm kind of busy at work :nervous:
 
Random gripe about Tuesday's race: I think wandering all over the banked parts to break the draft is a pretty low move. Really annoying.

I totally agree, unless ofcourse we're on a jump track and some shlub behind me gets his draft killed because Im pulling a sweet 360 backflip.
 
I'm about to run some laps if anyone wants to join.
 
HD Video of Tuesday Evening Race #2

Nice videos. We need a handy color key to go along with the videos. I know the first page has the color assignments (a few are still tbd) but I still can't figure it who is who. :dunce: Too bad we can't change the numbers on the car.

By the end of the season I'll probably have the color-driver mapping memorized. :sly:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back