Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
  • 117,213 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those interested, I am hoping to be on sometime after 8:30pm EST tonight for some practice runs/races in prep for tomorrow nights race.
 
^ I'm hoping to be setting up and tweaking my new monitors tonight so I might not be around. Still waiting on notification that they've arrived, but they are "expected to arrive Jan 12 (today)" according to the tracking info.
 
For those interested, I am hoping to be on sometime after 8:30pm EST tonight for some practice runs/races in prep for tomorrow nights race.

I may be available, there's supposedly a snow storm that's going to hit us in Michigan that may keep me inside.
 
I am going to try to get on tonight, though I doubt it will be that early.
 
You can find a GTPlanet review of the CSR Elite Wheel here:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=234862

$500 for the Wheel only, compatible with several sets of pedals and shifters, weighs 12 kgs.

"Player can adjust and store up to 5 different setups of various wheel-related settings. You can change steering-degree value (from the game-default OFF to 900), force feedback strength, vibration strength, motors dampening resistance, all the way to strength of the central-spring or moment when vibration effect of the Fanatec pedals will create an sensation of non-ABS braking.

CSRE in GT5 just brings another dimension into transferring complex and extremely detailed FFB-inputs and GT5's unique force feedback sub-engine to the wheel. My absolute favorite is the sensation of the low-speed physics. No other wheel I have ever tried achieves such strengthening and feel for control of the tire-threshold in low speed maneuvering, where FFB becomes stronger while turning in low speeds and slowly releases while accelerating. That sensation is something I never felt on other wheels before and it creates unbelievable feel of connection of the car to the road.
"
 
Ah yes it is indeed an FM. I don't know what tech difference the CSW vs CSR-E is. I do know that removable BMW wheel must be owned by me. ;)

Below is a link to a comparison chart...If I recall correctly the motors and base are the same but the CSW has more "options" as well as interchangeable rims (oh and it's $200 more).

http://www.fanatec.de/html/pw_overview.htm

Yeah, and it comes w/o pedals, so...I have close to zero brand/platform loyalty. If PD drops the ball I can see some F4 action in my future ;)
And I think it's FM on the wheel.

I heard those clubsport pedals are pretty nice :sly:

Same feelings, no loyalty here. I have a broken 360 that is ready to be opened up and fixed. I doubt I'll get the urge to but these online issues are getting annoying.
 
thinking out loud here.....will my real life GT-R rim fit the spline on that CRS-Elite?
 
The more I read on all of these fancy wheels, the more I want one. Only thing about the fanatec wheels that turns me off is the whirling sound I hear when racing someone with one, this would drive me mad. Looks like it will be in the next couple months that I will be replacing the G27, anyone want to buy one? I would sell it pretty cheap if you guys know of anyone interested.
 
The more I read on all of these fancy wheels, the more I want one. Only thing about the fanatec wheels that turns me off is the whirling sound I hear when racing someone with one, this would drive me mad. Looks like it will be in the next couple months that I will be replacing the G27, anyone want to buy one? I would sell it pretty cheap if you guys know of anyone interested.

Same here... then I look at the price tags :eek: I would love to have the best wheel and pedals, a cockpit, 3 monitors, etc., but I just don't play enough to make it worth the investment. Not that I can afford all that anyway. Why are you replacing the G27 anyway, didn't you just get that like a month or two ago?
 
The more I read on all of these fancy wheels, the more I want one. Only thing about the fanatec wheels that turns me off is the whirling sound I hear when racing someone with one, this would drive me mad. Looks like it will be in the next couple months that I will be replacing the G27, anyone want to buy one? I would sell it pretty cheap if you guys know of anyone interested.

I've also heard bad things about build quality and customer service/communication regarding Fanatec, but man are there wheels sweet.

no sparco 270mm

I bet you could make it work. You would probably need a custom CNC'ed mounting plate or something along those lines.
 
The more I read on all of these fancy wheels, the more I want one. Only thing about the fanatec wheels that turns me off is the whirling sound I hear when racing someone with one, this would drive me mad. Looks like it will be in the next couple months that I will be replacing the G27, anyone want to buy one? I would sell it pretty cheap if you guys know of anyone interested.

How cheap? I would be interested if I didn't get a DFGT a couple months ago.

Has any one here compared a Fanatec/G27 wheel to a DFGT? I would like to know how much I'm really missing?
 
I've also heard bad things about build quality and customer service/communication regarding Fanatec.....


Same here, I've heard nothing but bad stuff about them so I don't even pay attention to anything they put out. Doesn't matter if it's a great feeling wheel if it's just going to break in a month and then take 3-6 months to repair/replace it. 👎 I love my G27 and don't plan on "upgrading" it until it's all the way dead.
 
For those interested, I am hoping to be on sometime after 8:30pm EST tonight for some practice runs/races in prep for tomorrow nights race.


I may well be interested, want to try out the protips about the dark areas of the track having more grip. I need to send you a FR, remind me later if I forget.
 
Just wait until it starts applying brakes for you randomly ;)


A year of heavy use and no problems yet! Pretty easy to fix though, right?
 
BrandonW77
A year of heavy use and no problems yet! Pretty easy to fix though, right?

I'd assume it's a pot issue. Which there is upgradable ones out there.

Those and spring/Nixim mod makes the G2X pedals great. IMO
 
^ What do upgraded pots do (besides get you higher)?
 
A year of heavy use and no problems yet! Pretty easy to fix though, right?
Sure, but if one is into DIY fixing/upgrading then warranty doesn't really matter. Personally, I just wanted to try the loadcell braking.
 
Same here... then I look at the price tags :eek: I would love to have the best wheel and pedals, a cockpit, 3 monitors, etc., but I just don't play enough to make it worth the investment. Not that I can afford all that anyway. Why are you replacing the G27 anyway, didn't you just get that like a month or two ago?

I purchased it online a few months back, but shouldve got the T500. Couple of things, I dont like the geary(is that even a word?) feel to wheel, plus I dont like how the paddle shifters move with the wheel. Not that those are a big deal, more of a personal preference thing.
 
Sure, but if one is into DIY fixing/upgrading then warranty doesn't really matter. Personally, I just wanted to try the loadcell braking.


I didn't mean fix it with a warranty, I've DIY'd the Nixim mod and reverse mounted them so I no longer have a warranty. I thought you just had to clean some connections or something to get them fixed, that's what I was getting at.
 
^I'm just saying that if one's comfortable DIYing then bad feedback for fanatec service is less relevant.

Yeah, I cleaned/lubricated the g27 pedals in the summer.

The issue returned, so I lubricated'em again.

Sold'em to a guy who has back-up g25 pedals just in case. Weirdly, just after I sold'em Logitech finally produced a meaningful reply (after dragging their feet for 2 weeks), saying that my warranty actually expires at the end of the first quarter of 2012, despite it officially being a 1-year warranty (which should've expired mid-december).
 
I may well be interested, want to try out the protips about the dark areas of the track having more grip. I need to send you a FR, remind me later if I forget.

You don't need an FR if you use the ORCA Champ Lounge for practice:idea:
 
On a different note, I will be putting some ideas on the forum in the next couple of days for some scheduled events in the Spot and Spec race lounges. Each event would have a different "theme" if you will and be meant strictly for tons of fun. Some of the rough ideas I am looking at are: a jalopy night, cup cars (like the Beetle, Lupo, and mm-R), speedway night, 450pp racing night, and of course a 3 series go kart night. A schedule will be posted here hopefully by the end of the weekend, and details will be kept on the ORCA social group that Brandon has set up.
 
You don't need an FR if you use the ORCA Champ Lounge for practice:idea:

It is so I can stalk him, see when he is online, extract information from his Trophy collecting habits, then when he is least expecting..... well, I don't want to spoil the surprise for him.

Don't you have soem car tuning you need to be doing instead of meddling in my business? :)
 
^ What do upgraded pots do (besides get you higher)?

The 'upgraded' rheostats don't really do anything that a brand new stock one didn't do already. I recently replaced the throttle rheostat on my G25 as I was not getting full throttle, and the throttle was hanging up in a lift. So when I'd lift the throttle would still be applied causing a nasty push, and of course I was always braking against throttle. While I did notice a difference in driveability over my malfunctioning rheostat, I wouldn't call it an upgrade but rather a repair. All of the rheostats are the same for all three pedals on the G series wheels, so I bought a few extras. In a pinch, you could always grab the rheostat from the clutch and swap it into the brake/throttle if you needed.

I got mine here > http://www.thesimshop.com/index.html

As for brand loyalty I am rather fond of Logitech. They may not be the best of the best of the cutting edge technology, but if you want to buy something better you're going to spend double or more. At that point you are well into the land of diminished returns as far as a performance gain is concerned. Honestly, I haven't found another manufacturer who builds a wheel that stands up to the abuse that Logitech does. Those Swiss folk really have it together with that stuff.
 
ORCA_Champ's lounge is now open for some Alfa testing and fun races!
 
4 of us in the ORCA Champ Lounge running at Nurb...grips seems pretty good...couple of us in the 2:17's...come and join us!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back