Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
  • 117,212 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lounge is open for pre-race practice.
Qualifying starts at 9pm GMT.
 
🤬
Only just sent FR...

Guess I'm going to miss this one.
 
Speedy6543
🤬
Only just sent FR...

Guess I'm going to miss this one.

I just logged on and added you, should have just enough time to jump in before qualifying. 👍
 
GMT Race

Qualifying
IMAG0326.jpg


Race 1
IMAG0332.jpg


Race 2
IMAG0335.jpg


Notes:
  • Speedy missed first race
  • RDAardvark disconnected during second race
 
Last edited:
Great racing guys.

Grip was good, but my brakes were wrong, just very wrong, it was like running a 10/10 brake bias. I was on 4/5 but it was not driving like it.
I was doing 8.4s or a solid 8.8 but I could just do a 8.9 without a draft. The brakes made all my practice point less. It's not like thew stopping distance was bad, just made trailbraking a pain.

T1 lap 1 race 1 was just me showing off how well I can mess up :lol:
I braked way to late and after hitting Owens I tried my best to get off the track. Hope I didn't mess anyone's race up. Over heated my tires and never had a chance to get back to the leaders.

Race 2 was fun, I tried to just lay back, not easy when MR_T3Z was leading, I just wanted tires for the end.

WRP, crashed so I decide to try and wait for a last lap pass, try and see if I can push MR_.. so I can at least get second at the worst. I finally was use to my "new" brakes.

Just to verify, stealing a win by using a sling-shot pass at the end is legal here, right. I had 2 guys do it to me at Daytona so I would think it is :lol:
 
Last edited:
That's something we've never done in three seasons of Capps. It'd probably cause more chaos than it'd prevent.
We used it in the Low Hp series and it works well. add a lap to the race and keep the speed @ 40 mph until first time past the start finish. Really helped avoid the first turn mess.
 
Not sure how T1 L1 went in today's race, but it was pretty smooth with about 6 or 7 of us in practice Monday. We had mics on, and I talked about a couple of the entries to that section as we were racing. I think as long as everyone goes in with a bit of patience, doesn't drive in too hard, or brake way too early, we will be okay. The biggest key is to hold your inside line all the way through, or your outside line all the way through. It is going to be 2-3 wide through that section the entire way of through the field on the start.
 
Guys, can I race tonight (8PM)?
If there is room I would like to have another go at this track.
EDIT: and I would like to see if I can get a better race 1 result or points.
 
^ If there's room, that's fine. If we get full though I'll have to ask you to spectate so someone else can run.

The Champ lounge is open for pre-race practice. Qualifying will start at 8:00pm EST with 12 drivers max.
 
^ If there's room, that's fine. If we get full though I'll have to ask you to spectate so someone else can run.

The Champ lounge is open for pre-race practice. Qualifying will start at 8:00pm EST with 12 drivers max.

I will check later and see if there is room.
 
So far there's only 4 of us, I'd say you're ok to join us. Come on in, water's fine. Only one real shark that I can see. :)

EDIT: Another shark just waded in, fair warning.
 
So far there's only 4 of us, I'd say you're ok to join us. Come on in, water's fine. Only one real shark that I can see. :)

EDIT: Another shark just waded in, fair warning.

Sorry, now I can't make it.... cya on friday.
 
Come on out guys, there's plenty of room. We need one more to make it an official race. Even if you raves earlier tonight, you're welcome to join us.
 
I'll race to fill the field. After the earlier race, I'm hardly a shark! :)
Maybe an ill-tempered guppy! :crazy:
 
Race/quali delayed for 10 minutes in hopes more people show up.
 
Come one come all!!! We only have 5 racers and we need 6 to make it an official race. If you show up and we're racing and it's less than 12 laps, then we're just warming up waiting. Stick around!!
 
Did you guys race? I was hoping to race tonight since I'm not sure I'll be able to make Friday or Saturday, but I didn't get home until like 8:45 tonight :(
 
Fun drives folks. DSG I apologize for the Parabolica on L1 of the first race. I nosed into the inside wall later on that race and you did not need to stop for me. I'm sorry if I affected anyone else's race. A really fun time during Race 2, and after affecting DSGs first race I wasn't about to take points from you folks that are competing for the season.

I had a great time driving with everyone. It's been a little while since I've done any racing, so it was good to sit down in front of the game for a bit.
 
A good night of racing it was!! Couple of really close finishes and good battles throughout the field. Nice pass in the second race Carracer I thought I had you!👍
 
Best. Night. Ever. Well, for me anyway.....2 podiums! And I think we all got through the first turn ok. Glad we were able to pull this one off, it was fun! Good job guys. 👍


Qualifying:

imageshe.jpg



Tuesday Race 1 Results:

imagegdj.jpg



Tuesday Race 2 Results:

imagejhb.jpg
 
Great racing tonight. Yuri...... had great pace and horrible luck in the start of races. Race 1 was more of a TT for me, good new is my brakes felt much better and I had to learn the track again LOL.
Yuri, hunted me down ( he was doing 8.3 to 8.2s.... I did a PB of 8.2 ) and quickly got the lead an won.
Race 2 was amazing, in the closing laps it was Marcus, Yuri...., and I going for a win, Great battle.
Looks like Brandon had some great finishes too.
 
Wow! Some great times there.

Congrats to Carracer and Yuri(johnny) for their "teammates" style 1-2 finishes (sharing the points nicely :cheers:).

But a big 👍 to Brandon for his consistency. As it was "the shoes" for Mr Jordan, it appears it is "the screens" for Mr Brandon.

Can't wait to catch up with you guys on the track this weekend.
 
Nice racing yesterday. I actually qualified 2nd for race 1 as i set my fastest time on the last lap.

Race 1 was quite an easy win with solid times and managed to break the draft with a few laps to go.

Race 2 I led for most of the race and Carracer was close behind with 4 laps to go. He was in the slipstream but kept just bumping me along the straight instead of passing. I knew he was waiting for the last lap and last corner to get by. Which is what he did and I could do nothing about it.

Dont agree with the principal of bumping instead of passing. I don't do it purely because I prefer to make racing as realistic as possible. This method doesn't happen in track racing so i don't do it.

I'm fine with it if this is something that is in this championships rules. This is annoyingly how GT5 is programmed and an obvious exploit.

Both races were good fun and well driven by all.
 
Can I just ask what brake balance people are using? I've mine set to 5/6 and simply cannot brake as late as everyone else seems to be doing. Of the race laps I did yesterday, everyone I was following braked way past my normal braking points for both chicanes and the last corner. I'm baffled.
 
Wow! Some great times there.

Congrats to Carracer and Yuri(johnny) for their "teammates" style 1-2 finishes (sharing the points nicely :cheers:).

But a big 👍 to Brandon for his consistency. As it was "the shoes" for Mr Jordan, it appears it is "the screens" for Mr Brandon.

Can't wait to catch up with you guys on the track this weekend.

Sharing the points nicely..lol...not a chance.:sly: I spent 10+ laps running the same laps over and over in race 1 to get lucky and catch Carracer and but for a slight bobble it would have been a race to the flag. In race 2 three of us were nose to tail for about 7 laps. I went for it going into Parabolica but was a little too far behind and only got by as we neared the corner. I had a couple of car lengths and a bit of momentum on exit, made my one move to switch lanes and break the draft but Car nosed by in .032 I believe. Was two great battles.

I ran 3/4, 4/5, 4/4 at various times in practice and in the race. I think I went with 4/5 in the first race but in the second it seemed a bit more oversteery so I switched to 4/4. I find the car handles perfectly here as you can just give the wheel a little flick or stab the brakes a little harder or later to kick the tail out and scrub off some speed or set up for a corner entry. With no bumps or track camber to worry about you can fling it about as need be.

Edit: Just noticed that Car's time and margin of victory in the GMT and EST races are almost identical. How's that for consistency?
 
Last edited:
But a big 👍 to Brandon for his consistency. As it was "the shoes" for Mr Jordan, it appears it is "the screens" for Mr Brandon.

The screens are a part of it, but there were other elements too. I switched back to bumper cam which made a marked improvement right off the bat. I had always been a bumper cam guy but switched to cockpit after Spec 2 and the advent of cockpits for standards. But I do appear to be a bit faster and more consistent with bumper cam so I'll be sticking with it for competitive racing. I also learned some new braking techniques last night that made a rather large improvement too. I think I finally learned how to drive.

Also, I earned P5 in the second race but Marcus and DSG felt like I deserved another podium and graciously handed it to me on the final lap. :)

Race 2 I led for most of the race and Carracer was close behind with 4 laps to go. He was in the slipstream but kept just bumping me along the straight instead of passing. I knew he was waiting for the last lap and last corner to get by. Which is what he did and I could do nothing about it.

Dont agree with the principal of bumping instead of passing. I don't do it purely because I prefer to make racing as realistic as possible. This method doesn't happen in track racing so i don't do it.

I'm fine with it if this is something that is in this championships rules. This is annoyingly how GT5 is programmed and an obvious exploit.


In principle, I totally agree with your point of view. In the real world the draft has much less effect and you have to make a pass whenever you have the opportunity. Unfortunately GT5 has a rather exaggerated draft effect which leads to a different strategy, especially at a track like Monza.

In my opinion, and for the record, I totally agree with Carracer's strategy and I would have done the same thing. If he had passed you, then you would have passed him on the next straight, and then he would have passed you on the next straight, wash, rinse, repeat. The more passing you do, the more chance you have of wrecking each other, and considering the other driver is just going to pass you on the next straight there isn't much sense in forcing the issue early. The best strategy is for the two of you to work together as a bump-drafting team and open up the gap on the cars behind you. When you get to the last couple laps, then the gloves come off and you start fighting for position. I personally think that staying on somebody's bumper and intimidating him into making a mistake is a better strategy than forcing a pass.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back