Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
  • 117,212 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw registration is closed but last race only 7 people participated...
Is there still room for the Tuesday 9 PM GMT race?
 
I saw registration is closed but last race only 7 people participated...
Is there still room for the Tuesday 9 PM GMT race?


Yes, I think the GMT race could use a couple more people so there should be room for you. Since you provided the great video of the special event, it's the least we can do. :)
 
I'd race the GMT event, depending on the number of entries. If there's room, or to help fill out the field, whichever. If not, I can keep practicing!
 
I will not be able to make the 8PM EST race so someone is welcome to take my place. Good luck today everybody.
 
Won't be around tonight, or Saturday due to work... Looks like Friday night is my only chance to participate this week, so hopefully there is room.
 
Planning to do the 4pm EST with the Euro crowd.


Anyone offended or interested in moving Tuesday nights race back 30-60 minutes? If so then I can do Tuesday nights. Otherwise I'll have to hope theres room in Euro race time.
 
I saw registration is closed but last race only 7 people participated...
Is there still room for the Tuesday 9 PM GMT race?

If you've not already done so, can you put in a Friend Request to ORCA_Champ please? The racing is done in that lounge. I'll be signing in to switch mics off again for tonight's races. Hopefully we won't see any glitches.

And welcome! I'll add you to the drivers list.
 
Anyone offended or interested in moving Tuesday nights race back 30-60 minutes? If so then I can do Tuesday nights. Otherwise I'll have to hope theres room in Euro race time.


Can't really move it back that late, sorry. But at least you can run in the early race. 👍
 
So, Lap 1 turn 1, what kind of cutting is allowed?
I understand missing a crash, but can you pass by just taking the faster green line?
I would like to know how much of the track can be used to pass/block?
Will be ready at 4PM. Should be a fun race.
 
So, Lap 1 turn 1, what kind of cutting is allowed?
I understand missing a crash, but can you pass by just taking the faster green line?
I would like to know how much of the track can be used to pass/block?
Will be ready at 4PM. Should be a fun race.


Not sure how to answer this, nobody knows that T1 L1 is going to be like. Try your best to keep at least two wheels in the legal area (tarmac or red/white curbs) without causing direct contact. My main interest is that the majority of the field gets through there unscathed, but without someone gaining a huge advantage. We did a good job of this in practice last night and I'm sure everyone will do fine.

My general attitude towards this is that everyone should treat the track as if it's a real track at a real race with a steward watching your every move. If you wonder if it's legal, it probably isn't. As for passing/blocking, you can make one move (with at least 2 wheels on the track/curb) and then you must hold your line, just like real life. No swerving back and forth to block the car behind you. The general strategy is to take the inside line and force the trailing car to attempt his pass on the undesirable outside line.
 
Fun practice yesterday.
Something I was wondering: did anyone feel any difference in traction on the rubbered parts of the tarmac? I don't think I did, just wondering.
 
I felt more grip on the rubbered track, especially the last turn, if I got off the rubber I was in trouble.
 
Fun practice yesterday.
Something I was wondering: did anyone feel any difference in traction on the rubbered parts of the tarmac? I don't think I did, just wondering.


Maybe a little but I really wasn't paying attention. I know if you're not on the rubbered line than you're not on the ideal line which could effect your grip.

To add to my last post about the first turn, I'd recommend just focusing on getting through there and not worrying about trying to make a pass in T1 on the first lap. Save the pass attempts on lap 1 for dellla Roggia or Ascari. 👍
 
Not sure how to answer this, nobody knows that T1 L1 is going to be like. Try your best to keep at least two wheels in the legal area (tarmac or red/white curbs) without causing direct contact. My main interest is that the majority of the field gets through there unscathed, but without someone gaining a huge advantage. We did a good job of this in practice last night and I'm sure everyone will do fine.

My general attitude towards this is that everyone should treat the track as if it's a real track at a real race with a steward watching your every move. If you wonder if it's legal, it probably isn't. As for passing/blocking, you can make one move (with at least 2 wheels on the track/curb) and then you must hold your line, just like real life. No swerving back and forth to block the car behind you. The general strategy is to take the inside line and force the trailing car to attempt his pass on the undesirable outside line.

OK, I just had a nightmare turn 1 here in another series, lag + little room = joke.

If lag makes a major crash in turn 1, I vote we have a do-over.

Fun practice yesterday.
Something I was wondering: did anyone feel any difference in traction on the rubbered parts of the tarmac? I don't think I did, just wondering.

I did, yuri was pinpoint accurate at putting his car on it. I tried running on it as best I could and got lap times in the 8.5s... I'm sure it helps.
 
^I find it tough to separate effects of rubbered surface and optimal line at this track. If you're on your own - it does not matter, stick to the proper driving line and you'll never leave the rubbered track. It only matters is situations where there is a passing attempt and someone has to be off the line.
 
If you've not already done so, can you put in a Friend Request to ORCA_Champ please? The racing is done in that lounge. I'll be signing in to switch mics off again for tonight's races. Hopefully we won't see any glitches.

And welcome! I'll add you to the drivers list.

Thanks, I'll send the FR in an hour or so...
Will be coming in stonecold this evening as it's just after our EU practice for the WRS Online Event tomorrow.
 
If lag makes a major crash in turn 1, I vote we have a do-over.


Possibly, but it might be really hard to tell whether the crash was caused by lag or just a normal crash. Plus, I don't want somebody making a mistake in T1/L1 and then calling "Lag/Restart!" just to get a mulligan. I don't really think that would happen though. If there are obvious surging cars that result in a crash, we'll restart. Otherwise we're going to keep on truckin'. :sly:
 
Possibly, but it might be really hard to tell whether the crash was caused by lag or just a normal crash. Plus, I don't want somebody making a mistake in T1/L1 and then calling "Lag/Restart!" just to get a mulligan. I don't really think that would happen though. If there are obvious surging cars that result in a crash, we'll restart. Otherwise we're going to keep on truckin'. :sly:

It's when lag takes out the top 5-6 cars of an 11 car race.
Then all the other cars just drive past.... You kinda feel like you should never have tried qualifying.
 
We haven't had any issues with that kind of lag for awhile, hopefully our luck will continue. 👍
 
Meh, T1 L1 is not the worst place to crash. I'd say keep going. Surging cars won't appear surging to all etc. I understand restarts when you only have one chance to score points per week, in here set your mental switch to "let's get through turn one safely" as opposed to "let's gain some places in turn one" and even some mild surging won't be an issue.
 
Last edited:
I know we haven't paid much attention to this before, but we are governed by the GTPlanet Rules and the rules state:

Your goal on turn 1 should not be to get to the front, but rather to convert a double wide start field to a single file running order. Look ahead more than one car. Due to field compression, a compact field will run slower through the first few turns than a spread out one. Leave some extra space, but not too much. Drivers behind you won't be expecting sudden braking.


You aren't going to win or lose in the first corner, unless number 2 takes out the rest of the field and you happen to be on pole, so if we all agree to just do our best to get into line, leave some space and get through clean we should be fine. It's the double wide on cold tires into a corner that's barely wide enough for 1 that's the problem. We've always been lenient with rules leaving lots of leeway for error, but if under review you are seen coming down the inside charging hard, miss your braking point and take out a couple of cars you may be held accountable so take that into consideration when you try to gain one spot in a 12 lap race coming down the inside.:crazy:
 
I know we haven't paid much attention to this before, but we are governed by the GTPlanet Rules and the rules state:

Your goal on turn 1 should not be to get to the front, but rather to convert a double wide start field to a single file running order. Look ahead more than one car. Due to field compression, a compact field will run slower through the first few turns than a spread out one. Leave some extra space, but not too much. Drivers behind you won't be expecting sudden braking.


You aren't going to win or lose in the first corner, unless number 2 takes out the rest of the field and you happen to be on pole, so if we all agree to just do our best to get into line, leave some space and get through clean we should be fine. It's the double wide on cold tires into a corner that's barely wide enough for 1 that's the problem. We've always been lenient with rules leaving lots of leeway for error, but if under review you are seen coming down the inside charging hard, miss your braking point and take out a couple of cars you may be held accountable so take that into consideration when you try to gain one spot in a 12 lap race coming down the inside.:crazy:

+1000 👍
 
By the way, my car color is Maziora Mazeran and the rims are some kind of yellow.
 
I know we haven't paid much attention to this before, but we are governed by the GTPlanet Rules and the rules state:

Your goal on turn 1 should not be to get to the front, but rather to convert a double wide start field to a single file running order. Look ahead more than one car. Due to field compression, a compact field will run slower through the first few turns than a spread out one. Leave some extra space, but not too much. Drivers behind you won't be expecting sudden braking.


You aren't going to win or lose in the first corner, unless number 2 takes out the rest of the field and you happen to be on pole, so if we all agree to just do our best to get into line, leave some space and get through clean we should be fine. It's the double wide on cold tires into a corner that's barely wide enough for 1 that's the problem. We've always been lenient with rules leaving lots of leeway for error, but if under review you are seen coming down the inside charging hard, miss your braking point and take out a couple of cars you may be held accountable so take that into consideration when you try to gain one spot in a 12 lap race coming down the inside.:crazy:


^ THIS. To be honest, if we can get through that first turn relatively unscathed we'll all feel a better sense of accomplishment than if we picked up a couple spots. Getting ~12 cars through there with nothing more than a couple bumps and scratches is quite an accomplishment and takes way more skill/focus than out-braking someone. I'm not suggesting anyone compromise their race in the name of sportsmanship, but at the same time you don't want to compromise someone else's either.

In short, drive smart through T1 on the first lap and drive hard from there on out. 👍
 
^Another thing to keep in mind: if T1 went smoothly, T2 is the new T1 ;)

At this point I'm still hoping I could make it to the GMT race...

UPD:Hope quickly fading...
 
Last edited:
I know we haven't paid much attention to this before, but we are governed by the GTPlanet Rules and the rules state:

Your goal on turn 1 should not be to get to the front, but rather to convert a double wide start field to a single file running order. Look ahead more than one car. Due to field compression, a compact field will run slower through the first few turns than a spread out one. Leave some extra space, but not too much. Drivers behind you won't be expecting sudden braking.


You aren't going to win or lose in the first corner, unless number 2 takes out the rest of the field and you happen to be on pole, so if we all agree to just do our best to get into line, leave some space and get through clean we should be fine. It's the double wide on cold tires into a corner that's barely wide enough for 1 that's the problem. We've always been lenient with rules leaving lots of leeway for error, but if under review you are seen coming down the inside charging hard, miss your braking point and take out a couple of cars you may be held accountable so take that into consideration when you try to gain one spot in a 12 lap race coming down the inside.:crazy:

Two words: pace lap
 
When does the room open?
 
Two words: pace lap

That's something we've never done in three seasons of Capps. It'd probably cause more chaos than it'd prevent.
 
If I drop my wheels FFB to say 5. I then can feel this grip loss better. The lower setting allows me to feel more precise.

Even with this info. I still run 7-10. Maybe I should just drop the tough guy tude and drop my FFB to 5/6


What I notice is the FFB drops off if you get out of the rubber or over turn the wheel and start to plow. It obvious trying to tell me adhesion is dropped.
 
Two words: pace lap


It's been discussed, but I have confidence in this group that we can get through it. We shouldn't have to fake our way through it with a pace lap. Getting through T1 on lap 1 at Monza has to be one of the great feats of driving and it's something we should all learn to do.

To provide a bit of inspiration:




And here's an example of patience paying off. He goes into T1 well in the back of the field but he hangs back to avoid the carnage and by Curva Grande he's in 2nd place. Keep this in the front of your mind tonight. :sly:

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back