All Gold

• Thread starter Chicane
  • 23 comments
Greetings fellow GT maniacs.
Newbee alert! Anyone manage to get gold for all the licenses? I'm having a real hard time of it. Bought the game on Sunday, but stil havent as yet managed it :guilty:

Greetings Earthling.

Sunday to Wednesday isn't that long.
A good method (I use it) I think is to say "ok. I am not moving to the next licence test without getting gold in the previous test". You can be flexible however. For me, I leave th course Memorising ones till I feel I want to get gold. However, i find it fairly easy to get golds in this game so far. Although I am only currently doing red. Speed isn't an issue here.

Just keep at it, and you WILL succeed. Trust me. I sucked at GT3 big time. Not 1 gold. However, I got GT4P so that I could strap down and prove to myself that I can do this. And I can. I have the third best PAL time in two tests as far as GTDB goes. It's possible.

And yes, I struggle too. For example, I'm 2 seconds off gold in the first blue test... I suck at lots of parts in this game. But practice helps immensely. I was at 14 seconds off gold and going... i'm never going to improve.

Brag Alert!

I've got all Golds :)

Even got a gold Coffee Break...

I bet the blue lesson you mean is the Takata Dome NSX round New York..its a beeatch.

Chicane there are loads of threads here with tips on getting gold in licences.

Heres a starter
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43970

Lesson 6, Lesson 13, and the ten Lap F1 are some of the hard ones

Practice ,Practice, Practice, and memorise the tracks!

It can be done! You'll get there if you stick at it mate, it sounds like you're doing pretty well, I had the game for two weeks played it off and on and got gold for everything inc the coffee breaks. The ten lap F1 test is mighty though, you'll have a smile when you nail that one!

Is Lesson 13 realy that hard? Weird. I thought I was just not too good. Is lesson 6 the dirt track? That is the first test I had problems with.

I got gold on the second coffee break theother day when I tried it. Going by that, I can see the rest are going to be so horrible to me.

I think Lesson 13 was the last gold I got..that or the Slalom.

You can't make a single mistake with the Takata, so you got to know the track.

Flinx has got an x-port replay on db.granturismo.de if you want to see the ideal line. The top time is 3:05.6! yep you'll read that twice!

And the dirt track one...what a pain...That track caused me some late nights to ge gold.

is the 3:05.6 on NTSC though? I use PAL and have noticed the PAL times are alway a good .x seconds off if not a second or more. Anyway, not interested in the best time :P But this x-port stuff.. I am a little hollow upstairs with this. What is it? How do I see it?

Tacet_Blue
x-port connects to the USB port on the PS2 and allows you do transfer data onto your PC. Never need to buy another Mem card again! 👍

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=PS2&title=110622

I agree with you about the NTSC times, especially at Fuji, but they say there is very little difference. I'm on PAL and can't get near the Fuji Lap times on db.de.

Thanks so much for this info. I only really get into PS2 mode when I'm not working. So I guess I have to learn at some point :) Yeah, with the lap times on GTDB, I just take down the top 10 PAL times and see where I can work my way to. What is their method of verification for times? Video? Screenshot? None?

db.granturismo.de is very strict, thats why I like it.
They only take clean times. No wall riding, corner cutting or any cheating so a screenshot is no good. They prefer x-port because you can change the view angle etc. Sometimes a video is ok if it clearly shows the run.

And oh yes..they will check up if you post a record time :)

YESS!!!! I did it! Gold on LT13. Man. I screwed up so many times on the straight coming into the long left hander before the final corner. Over reved two times. I got 3:14.490 which is 0.010 under Gold :D I closed me eyes for most of the final straight hehe.

Anyway, here are my tips which I tried myself and they seemed to work. The first left hander is like a 90 degree corner. Brake DEEP into it and use the rumble strip up the back end of it. Braking late gives you more speed into the corner, going up to the back gives up better turning for a better exit. being deep gives you better acceleration for the next straight.

Tip two is the very next right hander after that second stright. Brake late into this one and avoid the rumble strip. More grip. The "help" line thing gives the braking distance too much respect. Don't follow it.

I was red lining all the gear shifts, and I started off at about 4-5,000 revs. umm...
Oh, if you don't get below 01:41.000 for the first lap, don't bother continuing.

Well done ixnay 👍

0.001 under gold will do, it still counts!

Some rumble strips are good some bad...I try to avoid the strip on the exit of the first hairpin as it knocks you in the air and you don't get the grip for blasting down that second straight.

Yes don't start Lesson 13 on the rev limiter, 5000 rpm gave me the best launch. If you race your ghost , you can see a huge gap appear if you start on the limiter.

wow thx 4 all the encouragement. u guys seem 2 kno a bunch bout this game. to be honest, i'v probably only spent like a total of 3hrs doing the licenses cos once i got the M5, i kinda got caught up in doing some drifting n crap... anyways, i'l hav sum time this w-end 2 get them all. thx again 4 all the great advice. later

Chicane
wow thx 4 all the encouragement. u guys seem 2 kno a bunch bout this game. to be honest, i'v probably only spent like a total of 3hrs doing the licenses cos once i got the M5, i kinda got caught up in doing some drifting n crap... anyways, i'l hav sum time this w-end 2 get them all. thx again 4 all the great advice. later

This community is very alive and you'll get what you asked for most of the time :)

Advice! Use proper writing instead of "slang" or phonetic writing because it may look cool at first, it will put a lot off people against you....

My advice is to watch the whole lesson in the guide, as you will see exactly what you need to do, and do the tests in manual, not automatic...

The blue test that involves 2 perfect laps of New York in the Takata NSX is very tasty, and I'd set aside a couple of hours if I were you... I know I had to to get the Gold... have a nice cold beer waiting in the fridge as well, you won't believe how much that helps (or is that just me?) :-P

One test where you must watch the lesson guide to stand any chance of getting the Gold is the damned Prius fuel economy test (one of the last purple tests)... the lesson will show you how hard to accelerate and where, and also what gears to be in for each corner... you need to replicate the lesson almost exactly, but it's not really that hard once you know how....

TM

Whoever said "Life is like a box of chocolates..."?

Attachments

• All_Gold.jpg
    All_Gold.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 23
Well now. Only 2 Purples to go! The Prius one is really really hard. I found the last few licenses (do a best lap time) a bit too easy... Anyways, thanks for the advice, k2racer. Guess I'm just a lazy bugger :sly:

OT: Anyone have any idea why the McLaren's nose drags on the ground when doing high speeds? Surely this has to be a bug in the game? Like maybe they loaded the wrong downforce/suspension settings for this car. In fact, when watching the replays, I noticed that the Toyota GT1 does the same thing (along with a couple of other cars)...

Here's a picture of my gamestatus in GT4 Prologue,It's from the NTSC version of the game,take a look......

Attachments

• Game status-rezized.JPG
    Game status-rezized.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 26
ixnay
does it affect the speed/handling much? Wouldn't the nose hit under braking then?
The top end is heavily affected. Frustrating when you trying to do really good laptimes. You just know the car can go so much faster if set up properly. Watch your replays of the F1, and you'll actually see the front wheels go through the wheel arches when braking hard or doing 250kph+ which just ruins the replays for me personally. Takes away the realism a bit. Hate it :yuck:. I figured PD would have addressed that isue after GT3. On the other hand, the F1's nose dragging on the ground under braking causes wicked oversteer in some bends, which actually helps...

I totaly forgot,I have one more picture to show you,It's my fastest time on lesson 38,1.21.837,enyoy....

Attachments

• Fuji-my best time.JPG
    Fuji-my best time.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 22
Back