amateur photo thread.

• Thread starter Conbon14
  • 1,831 comments
An interesting tree I saw today. I actually go by it quite often but never stopped and looked it at.

7b961a584a71498dad971bd046d959aa.png

Knowing full well that part of the rear wing ended up out of frame, I still think this is one of my best panning shots ever. Decent bit of background blur while the subject seems to be mostly in focus. I have a hard time getting enough of the car to look sharp because of my crappy panning skills but I'm working to get better. I'm always open to advice :cheers:

Ferrari F1 by Greg Kachadurian, on Flickr

He was transfixed on the noises the camera made when I pressed the shutter button which kept him still long enough to take this.
I wish my dogs were like that, but they're both terrified of cameras. But that has it's advantages: If they've gotten up on the couch like they're not supposed to I just grab a camera and point it at them and they bolt away.

I wish my dogs were like that, but they're both terrified of cameras. But that has it's advantages: If they've gotten up on the couch like they're not supposed to I just grab a camera and point it at them and they bolt away.

:lol: Hey that works.

That's actually my friend and his girlfriends cat, mine just doesn't care and won't even acknowledge it.

A few from me. While I'm not sure if I've uploaded these elsewhere on GTPlane, I thought I'd share them here.

Evening walking home from work.
7E7A9CC8-FF79-4668-BF0E-BA70651652F6.jpg

Heading out to work.
2B6BD4CA-EB68-4B84-983F-4530C5ED0812.jpg

Just got off the train and heading to the supermarket.
9203C941-0623-4914-99D6-321826B38170.jpg

Macro shot using the Helios 44 and an extension tube on the Fuji XE-1
IMG_7306.JPG

Helios 44 bokeh
02069C0D-CDBF-4D1A-94FB-6D027FAEC742.jpg

The fiancée happy to be heading home after work.
IMG_6045.JPG

The newer entrance to Leeds train station
IMG_6047.JPG

The Navigation Canal and fields beyond.
IMG_5733.JPG

Birch Tree copse
IMG_5736.JPG

My pops and my niece.
IMG_5220.JPG

The weather played nice.

I didn't have a tripod for this one, but I guess it wasn't that bad. I had to put the camera on the ground and had to hold it there because of the wind.

DSC01144-352
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC01168-358
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC01187-364
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC01228-379
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC01234-382
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC01282-396
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC01334-417
by Harry Dang, on Flickr​

I've resorted back to using a watermark, because a lot of people on Instagram have been using my pictures and not giving me credit because I didn't have a watermark on them and they forgot where they downloaded it from.

Trip from Columbus to Boston. I was surprised to see we flew over Lake Erie so early (I didn't look up what our route was going to be so it was kinda neat to be surprised a bit. I wish I knew this though as I could've spotted Niagara Falls and tried to get some shots of that).

I wish I brought my tripod... Couldn't get the shots I wanted so having to do long exposures while teetering the camera on a rock was a bit of a task..

I recently got a used zoom lens and did some testing.

DSC01703-1
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

DSC01851-28
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

A bit flooded...

DSC01725-10
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

I'm going to a race track soon. Now that I have a longer lens, I'm going to do some panning shots so before the event, I went to practice a bit.

DSC01991-46
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

I took this random shot and the color is so nice. It looks like it came out of a commercial press shot.

DSC02039-53
by Harry Dang, on Flickr

If it weren't for the damned barrels and the kid asleep in the car I'd say that this would be an excellent shot, but you can't always get what you want.

Barrels are easy enough to remove; the kid adds a weird twist to the sense of speed. My issue is the toning feels a bit flat.

@ProjectWHaT

Long post inbound!

I'm no expert editor, but here's what I threw together in fifteen minutes using Adobe RAW converter - all of these tools are accessible to you in Lightroom.

Here's what you started with:

exGYi4n.jpg

First, I started by opening the Tone Curve settings. I made a basic "S-Curve" by pulling the shadows down a bit and raising the highlights. I don't typically make this S-curve very strong unless I'm done with most of my other settings and still want more contrast. For this particular image, I lowered the shadows a decent amount and only raised the highlights a very small amount. I also pulled the blacks a very tiny bit. It costs you some shadow detail, but it looks really nice a lot of the time. It's very easy to overdo this effect, so use some restraint. Some people like to remove any semblance of detail from their shadows and blacks - I'm sure you've seen plenty of photos like this on automotive photography sites - and it just looks amateurish to me. Anyway, here's what I got after just changing this one setting:

xlAJLVH.jpg

As you can see, the whole image is much more bold. I might be tempted to leave it here, but I like to experiment when I'm editing, so I'm going to go a little farther. Next, I'm going to do basically the same thing but for each individual color channel. Doing this will increase the contrast of your image further, which is why I keep my changes to the RGB curve pretty subdued. By altering each channel individually, you get a lot of control over the toning in your image. If you want your shadows more yellow, for example, just pull the blue channel down farther in the shadow area.

This is one of the hardest parts of editing because until you've changed every channel it's going to look like complete trash, making it hard to tell how far to "bend" the line. It's very easy to mess things up in this part of editing, so be careful, and switch between before and after views frequently before moving on. It gets much easier with practice, I promise.

For this photo, I made my changes to the red and green channels very, very, slight with my largest change being to the blue channel. All three channels still use a basic S-curve, so nothing fancy, but with the blue channel I put an additional point towards the center of the curve as sort of an anchor.

I wanted something that really popped, and given the grey scenery and flat lighting, I decided to pull the blues higher towards the highlights. This makes the concrete seem slightly cooler in appearance, and makes it seem a bit more interesting in my opinion.

m1jUofZ.jpg

Big difference again, huh? Now I'm onto my final step, the H/S/L sliders. Since there's only a few colors in this image, it's pretty easy to make changes here. In the "hue" section, I mostly changed the oranges, making them a bit more yellow. Under "saturation", I decreased the reds a little to make the taillights a little easier on the eyes. I boosted the saturation on the yellows and oranges to make them pop a bit more as well. Next, I increased the blue saturation and decreased purple, which made the paint on the Golf stand out more. Under "luminance" I boosted the blues a fair amount (+23), which made the Golf's paint even contrastier.

After looking at it more, I decided I had overdone the cooling effect in the blue channel to the highlights. The smart thing to do would be going back to the blue channel and messing with that a bit more, but I'm not very smart, so I just made the white balance temperature ever so slightly warmer.

After all that, here's the final image:

PoLwxkR.jpg

More interesting, wouldn't you say? The end result isn't perfect, but it's almost there, I think.

Notice how I didn't make any changes to the vibrance or saturation sliders you'll find near the exposure sliders. I almost never use them, as they rarely give the control that I'm looking for when editing. Also notice that I didn't mess with the exposure sliders in order to increase the image's contrast. I rarely use them for that purpose, just for saving detail in the highlights and shadows. I didn't have to make any of those changes here, since it was a low-contrast scene.

I also didn't use the split toning options. Though they can be fun, it's another setting that can very easily make an image seem over-edited or amateurish. I only use it if I can't figure out how to get the effect I'm looking for in any other setting. I most often use it in order to add a tint to the shadows or highlights without messing with the RGB channel curves.

Obviously, everyone likes to edit their photos a little differently. I'm sure that if all of us that frequent the photography subforum were to edit the same photo, we'd end up with a pile of completely unique-looking images, even if we all started in the same place. For me, I draw inspiration from people like @Azuremen and @35mm who use more film-esque toning as well as photographers for magazines like Road & Track that have a more contrasty, digital look. Since I like both of these styles, I like to edit in a way that has characteristics of each style, thereby making something that is my own and unique.

You might not like the way I edited your photo; you may prefer the version you originally uploaded, and that's fine. The key is to find a look that you're proud of, and it takes time. It took me, personally, a very long time, and frankly I'm glad I wasn't uploading any photos during that period of time where I couldn't figure out how I wanted to edit my work, because they looked bad. I'll probably feel the same about the photos I'm most proud of now in six months, but hey, that's what artists do a lot of the time.

Continue to play around with things, that's the best way to figure these things out, in my opinion.

Hopefully this was helpful to you or to other people who read this thread. I can post screenshots of my settings too, if you're a visual learner or if I've been unclear. If you want more, I'd be happy to help out - I think I like teaching. :D

Last edited:
How can I make the toning less flat?

To me, at least, the blue is too dark and detail is lost in the car. I'd probably bring the exposure up 0.2, drop the contrast -10, highlights -20, shadows +20, white +20, blacks -10 and see how it felt. Tone curve adjustment with a very subtle S shape, about 4 or 5 points with a goal to bring just the whitest parts out a bit and darken the blacks while preserving detail. Maybe bring it up to 5% to slightly crush the very darkest parts. HSL adjustments looking at the blue and yellows - if the image is warmed your blue may feel a bit richer but you'll bring yellow into the concrete so bring that down in HSL maybe. Alternatively, lighten the blue and shift it towards cyan just at touch.

The idea, roughly, is to increase detail in both shadows and highlights while stilling maintaining a feeling of contrast with true or near-true blacks and whites.

I might play with adjusting the crop by tightening it in the lower left corner. This may cut down on the distracting white bit in the bottom of the frame and bring the car to the left, moving it away from the center and giving it more room to "drive" into on the right. Or at least a feeling along those lines.

A couple of pics from my Holliday in Australia. Spent most of my time in Sydney but drove down to Melbourne yesterday.

First is a sunset captured on the ferry from Manley to Central Quay, Sydney.
IMG_0012.JPG

This one was in Melbourne last night, the camera on my phone isn't very sharp but I liked the colours reflecting in the clouds.
IMG_0011.JPG

Lastly, if anyone is a fan of Masterchef Australia, this is a picture of some cake (obviously) from a dessert bar in Sydney called Koi. Koi is ran by one of the contestants from a couple of seasons back Called Reynold and his brothers. And tonight we're going to Gazi in Melbourne which is owned by George Calombaris .
IMG_0005.JPG

Back