Any stores planning a midnight launch?

• Thread starter ploopsy
  • 658 comments
Well I called Best Buy, Gamestop, Target, & Wal-Mart.
Best Buy said Wednesday
Gamestop said Wednesday
Target didnt answer after 2 times of trying. My friend that lives in FL said his Target told him it'll be on the shelf on Tuesday. IDK about mine yet,but will try tomorrow.
Wal-Mart said if they have it it'll be out on midnight Tuesday. So Iam going to wait until Tuesday to call back for conformation.

Well I called Best Buy, Gamestop, Target, & Wal-Mart.
Best Buy said Wednesday
Gamestop said Wednesday
Target didnt answer after 2 times of trying. My friend that lives in FL said his Target told him it'll be on the shelf on Tuesday. IDK about mine yet,but will try tomorrow.
Wal-Mart said if they have it it'll be out on midnight Tuesday. So Iam going to wait until Tuesday to call back for conformation.

I'm going to do the same. I'm guessing that most big name retail stores will have quite a few copies in stock.

Even the Strategy Guide has a street date.

GameStop shows "GT5 Strat Guide" in their system. While Amazon only has the "Essential Track Guide". GameStop is not sure if they are different. I'm not calling Amazon about this, the outsourced CSR's have no clue.

Unless Call of Duty is in the title, no game store really bothers.

Soooooo true dude!.

I don't get how they can have a midnight launch for God of War 3 or Force Unleashed 2 and not GT5. GT5 is waaay bigger then Force Unleashed 2. It kind of ticks me off that no store around me is doing a midnight launch.

The way I see it, we all have waited soooo long for this game..and PD should have just told the stores that when they receive the game, they can start handing them out to pre-orders ONLY. Walk ins must wait till 24th.

Oh well...23rd is going to be a looooong night for me and mostly everyone else in Florida. Oh, and I can't go to Wal-Mart cause I have 2 CE's pre-ordered...not sure if you can get a CE at Wal-Mart...I guess ill try.

Gamestation in Haywards Heath is having a midnight launch. They had 2 boxed Signiture Editions on display just now and one of the briefcases. They also said that one person who attends gets the Signiture Edition for the price of the normal edition.

All the gamestops in my area told me that they didn't have enough time to plan a midnight release because of the late release announcement.

I plan on just going to my local Wal-Mart at midnight and buying it since they are open 24 hours.

I have also just found out that my local Gamestop, as well as the nearest ten Gamestops, won't be having midnight launches. I think I'm going to try the local 24hr Walmart as well.

All the gamestops in my area told me that they didn't have enough time to plan a midnight release because of the late release announcement.

I plan on just going to my local Wal-Mart at midnight and buying it since they are open 24 hours.

Yeah, probably pretty hard saying, "Hey Joe, sorry about the short notice. But we were wondering if you could work for 15 minutes at a midnight launch on the 24th. Would that be possible?"

My local GameStop (where I preordered the CE) in Slagelse, Denmark is doing a midnight launch!! can't really imagine that many people going :D

EB Games in Botany Town Centre, Auckland is doing a midnight launch for those around this area. They told me they're the official launch store for New Zealand... whatever that means

Yeah, probably pretty hard saying, "Hey Joe, sorry about the short notice. But we were wondering if you could work for 15 minutes at a midnight launch on the 24th. Would that be possible?"

It is a lot to ask. It's the day before Thanksgiving, a lot of people have plans set. When you have a huge chain like gamestop you cant suddenly just ask a bunch of people across the country to work that night, it's just not realistic.

There are 2 reasons why this game isnt getting a midnight release at most places, the day before thanksgiving, and the late announcement of that date.

i called the gamestop i have my GT5 preordered at to see if they were doing a midnight launch, and the person on the phone said no, and that they opened at 10AM THE NEXT DAY!!! i cant believe it... if it was up to me, i would get GT5 at 12AM wednesday, stop by the store and get a 12 pack of red bull, and then play for 2 days straight or until i fell asleep at the wheel :D

Gamestop by me is having a midnight opening on Black Friday only :grumpy:

They are not doing one on the day that it counts to me :crazy:

Wednesday morning it is for me, though i may check out the 24hr Walmart around midnight "just incase"

AA

Does anyone know if Wal-Mart is going to have the collector's edition in store?

Edit: I plan on going there Tuesday night to get a copy at midnight. I know I won't have the patience to go to Game Stop to try to get a copy at 10am. Not to mention that they might tell me that they can't sell me one without a pre-order for it anyway.

Last edited:
Checked with 4 Gamestops in my area (Seattle) and none of them are having a midnight launch.

I'll check with the store I pre-ordered with again on Tuesday to see if anything changes. From the sounds of it though, it looks like not :grumpy:

My local play n trade said they have a grand total of 2 preorders (me and my friend lol) so I guess I'll just pick it up wednesday morning, first day of break (thank god)

3 days ago I checked with every Gamestop in Miami and they all said "No"...except for one store! But it was a dumb retard on the phone...so tomorrow im calling all of them again to see if I get similar results.

@RedPhoenix I had a similar situation with the Gamestop's I called in Miami. The one I had reserved at and the one at FIU both said they would be doing it. Called today to double check and they said a big fat NO. Don't know what to do now since I want the CE. Guess I'll wait til Wed morning or check the Wal Mart and see if they get the CE in.

Checked with 4 Gamestops in my area (Seattle) and none of them are having a midnight launch.

I'll check with the store I pre-ordered with again on Tuesday to see if anything changes. From the sounds of it though, it looks like not :grumpy:

I don't think there will be much midnight launches in the US. The series is sort of wanning here (it's all about FPS in the US, CoD, Halo), but in the EU on the other hand, I fully expect it to be the biggest PS3 or 360 game launch.

@RedPhoenix I had a similar situation with the Gamestop's I called in Miami. The one I had reserved at and the one at FIU both said they would be doing it. Called today to double check and they said a big fat NO. Don't know what to do now since I want the CE. Guess I'll wait til Wed morning or check the Wal Mart and see if they get the CE in.

Yeah...I called those stores lol. I honestly think that a Midnight Launch for GT5 at any Gamestop is a lost cause. I pre-ordered the CE also...but tomorrow I am going to reserve a standard edition too...just in case the CE's are running late!

Sometimes that is the case with limited editions of things....they tend to arrive late...soemtimes early, im just being prepared. Worst comes to worst, I can sell the Standard edition on the Bay when I get the CE. If the CE is in from the start....then I will just put the pre-order for standard for something else.

My gamestop is not so I told the guy he better have them doors open at opening hour.
We both laughed with an almost evil laughter followed by a short silence and then a goodbye.

WOOO getting my copy tomorrow! from a local mom and pop shop over here in Long Beach, California. They usually gets the games early and will sell them. I had gotten mw2, tk6, ssf4 a week early. I called said they will be having it tomorrow for sale. Anyone in USA got their copy of GT5 yet? If your in socal area pm me if you want to know info.

WOOO getting my copy tomorrow! from a local mom and pop shop over here in Long Beach, California. They usually gets the games early and will sell them. I had gotten mw2, tk6, ssf4 a week early. I called said they will be having it tomorrow for sale. Anyone in USA got their copy of GT5 yet? If your in socal area pm me if you want to know info.

Ahh man I would so drive down to long beach to get it I'm in Burbank. What's the store called?

Back