Are GT6's sales gonna go up now they closed the GT5 servers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PlayerONE7125
  • 9 comments
  • 969 views
Messages
121
United States
United States
What does everyone think? Now that they're forcing everyone to stop playing GT5 will it work, and will more people buy GT6 or are they going skip this game altogether.
 
No, they did just close them down .

I doubt they will sell many more just due to this. Folks who were still playing GT5 are generally turned off by GT6. I think for the most part they'll skip it.
 
I just went to go check and that's total ********. Why the hell did they do that for? Total ********.
 
Yes. Significantly, as in hundreds of thousands of copies? Highly unlikely.
 
If they hadn't stopped playing GT5 naturally 6 months in, then there's no real guarantee that being forced to stop playing GT5 will make them play GT6. Certainly not if they were purposely not playing GT6.
 
I just went to go check and that's total ********. Why the hell did they do that for? Total ********.

They've been warning people about it for months. Have you seriously not heard about it anywhere?
 
What does everyone think? Now that they're forcing everyone to stop playing GT5 will it work, and will more people buy GT6 or are they going skip this game altogether.
Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. GT5 still works offline. PD and Sony are certainly leading or pushing people though, since if you want to play GT online (and most do), you'll have to either wait for the next game or buy GT6.

I see the closure of GT5's servers as a small attempt to increase 6's sales given the fact it more than likely hasn't sold in the numbers they thought it would. Just a little encouragement so they can ring out the last few potential buyers. There are older games, with fewer online players, I'd imagine, still up and running after all. Why else do it? I accept all things must come to an end but why so soon in comparison to those games?

It will probably work to a small extent but if they think every GT5 player is just going to buy 6 now, they're very much mistaken. I'm sure GT5's offline gameplay will suffice in the mean time before a next gen title is released.
 
What does everyone think? Now that they're forcing everyone to stop playing GT5 will it work, and will more people buy GT6 or are they going this game altogether.
For many, online services were the most entertaining aspect of GT Life, and not being able to access these services anymore compromises the enjoyability of the game. Going in the open lobby was a fun extension of regular play in the sense of racing/chilling with other players in a competitive environment. I get it. But look on the bright side: you can still do just about everything you're used to doing, just not with other players around. You can still fancy many an endeavor to emulate real motor racing. You can still drive all of the cars you have at all of the tracks you have, and you can still race against AI drivers if that's your thing. In fact, I've recently grown very fond of Arcade Mode and consider it just as fulfilling as racing with other players; what's more, you don't have to deal with dirty driving or ever worrying about kicking/being kicked out of a room. However, I must admit that it's REALLY disappointing that the quickest I can roll in the dough is now 70,000 credits every three minutes in Like the Wind... but I guess it's only reasonable that I have to work hard for the things I really want. I just won't be buying any LMPs anytime soon.

All in all, this shutdown has done very little in the way of boosting GT6 sales. The way I look at it is, the ability to continue playing online on its own isn't going to make or break someone buying the next installment. What will make the difference is someone wanting to know what GT6 has in store for them. What PD should have done is sent out a poll to all GT5 players asking whether they are ready to move on to another installment in order to guage potential interest in GT6, and if more than, say, half of the respondents said 'yes', then that would be a reason to shut down all online functions.

An another note, does anyone think PD shut down the online servers so as to reallocate capitol toward developing GT6 (updates, DLC, online service)?
 
Back