• No not at all!

Votes: 61 34.5%
  • Perhaps a little.

Votes: 77 43.5%
  • Yes.

Votes: 39 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To think I could add a GTP tag to my XBL thing but it will be hard to find people. Maybe we should go over there....that could start a war though...I should of never traded in that PS3

Last edited:
anyone called Mayola or something on this Norweigen forum.

Not amongst the trash-talkers, no. At least not the ones I've seen, though they don't have thread of hate or anything. Just things I've picked up in different threads. If you have the correct name I can check on the site.
Is it someone you've met in a race? And if so did he have a [NO] country marker?

Not amongst the trash-talkers, no. At least not the ones I've seen, though they don't have thread of hate or anything. Just things I've picked up in different threads. If you have the correct name I can check on the site.
Is it someone you've met in a race? And if so did he have a [NO] country marker?

yes he had a NO on the end of his name and he did not take kindly in me overtaking him on the straights lap after lap. I havnt been brake checked for a very very very long time LOL.

GTP to me, means good folk, racing to rules, racing hard and but fare. I don't believe for one minute I've actually met a Stuck up Nerd. Opinionated yes, well informed and knowledgeable most defiantly but if other forums see this as stuck up and nerdish it just goes to show how uninformed and insecure they are.

I'm disappointed to read how some of the members of the EU Playstation Gran Turismo forums think of us: http://community.eu.playstation.com...thread.id=50660&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

I cant believe some of them are saying that.... very strange! There must be unofficial GTP tag users ruining the rep of this site....

Don't worry about those opinions, guys. They are only with two. On top of that, one of them (no46_thedoctor) is one of the most annoying guys I've met racing with and without tag. He's got a decent pace, but swerves, likes to use you as a guardrail and is a big fan of Kamikazi in the last corners. No fun racing that guy.
His friend cerbrus is just there to back him up, since in one of his first posts he stated that 99% of the GTP members are ok. A few posts later we suddenly are elitists and punters. It simply doesn't fit. Well, maybe partially. I do am a bit of an elitist though :sly:

Interesting reading the comments of the minority on that link to the other forum. It does seem like a minor case of "sour grapes", as if both of them are regularly beaten by tagged drivers, yet a couple of instances of accidental contact with someone have led them to believe we're all elitist and bad drivers. Ah well, I've not raced either so I don't really care!

Incidentally, I raced online for a long time before I decided to get a GTP_ tag when I became more involved in the scheduled races members of these forums put on. I've certainly never had any problems with GTP drivers online, either before I ran with a tag and after, and indeed I'm sure you'll find members here who've had great fun racing with me, both online and at the last UKGTP event. And I've certainly had fun racing with tagged drivers.

I did vote for the middle option on the poll though, not based on driving, but based on some of the opinions I've read on the forums from tagged drivers, some of whom do seem to believe that the tag gives them special priveleges over the masses, when this isn't the case.

I hope you guys don't judge the Gran Turismo players at OPSC by the comments of a few. OPSC is full of part-time GT players who wander in from other boards, post a lot of nonsense and then disappear and go back to playing Motorstorm.

In terms of nerdity (nerdity?!) I'm probably the biggest GT nerd there is. I have files and files and files on GT cars and stats and personal lap records that I've run over the years, not to mention some old Time Trials I used to host!

Just DON'T TELL ANYONE!

;)

Good drivers who have the skill & intelligence to enjoy the satisfaction of doing well in races against their competitors have no reason to complain. Hence, logically the people who complain are often of the opposite ilk. Not worth the worry. Also there are also lots of kids below legal driving age who have no idea about the basic principles, who rightly think that the only way they can win is by knocking competitors off the track, who as hosts terminate on a whim.

It seems to me that many people on GT5P are there for social reasons rather than the driving. And that's fair enough, but those who are there for the driving pure and simple, are sometimes differently motivated.

The other night I watched a UK tv program titled 'Speed' in which the characteristics and motivations of champion F1 drivers was examined. Jeremy Clarkson interviewed a guy who had done serious research on the subject. As I recall the conclusion was that great drivers are driven to excel (and to excel you must have someone to be measured against), they are mildly psychopathic and suffer less guilt than the norm. The example quoted in the program was Schumacher's 97 failed attempted at bumping Villeneuve to stop him winning the world championship, he did the same thing successfully to Hill, in '95 I think it was. Both instances created furor and moral outrage. Schumacher then and now says that he was just driving to an interpretation of the rules.

The rules are of fundamental importance to a champion driver, because they are the context in which one can excel, however, a champion driver does not look for ways to defer to them, but explores the fine and often ragged edges of the rules in pursuit of advantage.

Therefore the GTP rules may well be an excellent means to encourage civilised behaviour in the game. However, the fastest drivers will always run on the edges of them and this inevitably has both good and bad consequences. Those people who are upset as a result do have reason to complain. But I doubt the people discussed here fall into that category.

Rules are good, but equally there is nothing wrong with the desire to excel.

p.s. I love those sixaxis guys who whizz side to side on the straight in an attempt to block. The physics engine seems to have their measure - fake one way, go the other, hold straight and let them bang into you, get it right and they rebound into the rough, lol, you can feel the steam rising from their frustration.

I hope you guys don't judge the Gran Turismo players at OPSC by the comments of a few. OPSC is full of part-time GT players who wander in from other boards, post a lot of nonsense and then disappear and go back to playing Motorstorm.

It's alright, I enjoy reading the OPSC thread :lol:

In terms of nerdity (nerdity?!) I'm probably the biggest GT nerd there is. I have files and files and files on GT cars and stats and personal lap records that I've run over the years, not to mention some old Time Trials I used to host!

Just DON'T TELL ANYONE!

;)

You are not the only one, I test all my cars I use through rigorous testing and record the results, I have done that since GT2 (including both prologues and GT concept) and photograph (photomode) all my cars. I have large Gran Turismo files on my PC.

Last edited:
If I thought GTP was full of stuck up nerds, I'd have permanently left long ago. I find that no other forum comes even close to the quality that GTPlanet offers, and it's thanks to that I defend this place with all my power.

@ vrrm - HA! I knew it! You're a nerd!

:P

@GTSR01 - HA! I knew it! You're a nerd too!

:P

Thank you god, I am not alone on this Earth!

:bowdown:

You are the fastest driver in Oz!
;)

Except for me and Dan.:lol: Just kidding. Me and vrrm had a really close race once, we're pretty even. You are a fast driver vrrm, good to see you've changed your policy.:lol:

well, maybe we should define a nerd first..

Wikipedia FTW

Nerd is a term often bearing a derogatory connotation or stereotype, that refers to a person who passionately pursues intellectual activities, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests that are age inappropriate rather than engaging in more social or popular activities. Therefore, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and considered a loner by peers, or will tend to associate with like-minded people.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerd
?

QUOTE: Wiki - "person who passionately pursues intellectual activities, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests that are age inappropriate..."

Ermmm.... I'm passionate about cars... I pursue intellectual activities on various forums... I seek esoteric knowledge about how to drive faster than anyone else.... other obscure interests such as testing car performance.... that are age inappropriate and playing video games is socially considered the forte of children.

AERO=NERD

ROFL

AERO_HDT
that are age inappropriate and playing video games is socially considered the forte of children.

Average videogame players age is increasing quite a lot. PS3 is up in the 20's apparently.

28 is the average age of gamers in Australia - but if you said that to a chick, she'd laugh at you and leave you standing at the bar, LOL.

PS: I hope the term "chick" is acceptable here!

28 is the average age of gamers in Australia - but if you said that to a chick, she'd laugh at you and leave you standing at the bar, LOL.

You wouldn't tell a chick at the bar you like to pick your nose either. :lol:

BTW I notice the GTPlanet thread at the OPSC is gone.

My other interests in life include guitars and golf and I used to write on several forums related to those interests. It always struck me that the people who frequented these forums were much older than I expected (Well in the case of golfing it wasn't such a surprise really...) I think that an age survey of the forumites here would show that the average age is higher here, or indeed any of the other racing communities, than among non GTPers.

BTW I notice the GTPlanet thread at the OPSC is gone.

That's so good.

It was very unnecessary thread, and we GT-nolifes do not need more bad-feelings, than lack of some info from PD, delay of GT5, and some childish players in online already causes.

Sad that 'Official Playstation Community' is so poorly handled/moderated, that it was needed Sphinx to come there, and tell some basics about GTP's way to act in 'bad apple-cases', and tell his opinion about that kind of Flame-threads.

Big props to that showdown! 👍

Please everybody... after that episode, lets all try to be as careful as possible with everybody on track. I'm very sure, some annoyed guys in that thread, had real bad feelings about GTP's... there must be something fact behind that.

Even if you stuck behind some slower guy, and your GTP-pals continue and are taking gap to you, it dont give us right to overtake that slower-dude with force. That may feel very bad in that other guys cabin, and if he is SixAxis-user, he may lost his carcontrol totally.

Lets forgive, and move on...

Perhaps a little. Because not everyone is a stuck-up nerd on here anyway, where as there are a lot of others combine Yes and No and you get so-so. :lol: (that actually rhymed.):boggled:

You wouldn't tell a chick at the bar you like to pick your nose either. :lol:

Oh man... I've been cheated badly. :ouch:

By the way, one more post about that OPC episode...

Those who red that thread to know:

Guy who was in biggest part there, has large knowledge about racing-etiquette, and real world driving. That is propably the reason why he was so angry to GTP's.

Even we have almost perfect manners when racing online, I have seen many littlebit Schummy-style passes in places where shouldn't try to pass others. To guy like that person X, even small scratch is too much, if we try to simulate real racing so much than possible.

When youre not so fast than many GTP's, you got those scratches even more... and if you try to simulate racing very highly, you can never be so fast than some 'ultimate-fast' guys here.

I dont take this game so seriously, that small punts, or scratches would annoy me. I can handle almost everykind of hits, thanks to online-rammers about learning that... but in the end, we all need to imagine that racing-situation like it would be real, and our 'only one precious LIFE' is in it! That way we will get more quality racing, and we can easily give more value to others 'only one precious LIFE'.

Give your virtual Gran Turismo driver a real LIFE, and when you crash next time so badly, that he would not survive healthy... turn off your console, and keep few days break from racing. That will give you more 'bet' to drive with real life way... not like video-game.

Private rooms... with that, we could be nerdy stuck-ups because we would be mostly in our private "elite" rooms 👍

Now seriously, I don't think we behave in any way wrongly when online. BUT any criticism can and should be used to find ways to improve even more. So I gave it some thought and realized a few things I see (and do) everyday that are not very "cool":

a) parking the car when a battle between GTPrs or a good position is no longer possible is as bad looking as disconnecting (unless you're host). It kinda tells the other guys they are not worth our time.

b) waiting, and even letting other people pass and then overtake them a couple times again can also be annoying, misinterpreted and provocative. I had a guy the other day that resorted to blocking and ramming after I let him pass twice.

So we could be involuntarily passing an "image" that we only care about racing amongst ourselves and for the win. Although it's not true, we race anyone that's fast enough (hum... i guess that's stuck-up...) even if it's for last position, but it can be seen that way.

Just my thoughts...

Edit: then again... pulling away and winning for a mile can also be seen as "bad" from sore losers

Last edited:
a) parking the car when a battle between GTPrs or a good position is no longer possible is as bad looking as disconnecting (unless you're host). It kinda tells the other guys they are not worth our time.

I only ever park when punters are making racing impossible and even those occasions are very rare. I normally just race those races and try to beat the punter fairly and then send a message indicating the fact.

Back