Are you addicted to Drive Club?

• Thread starter torque99
  • 68 comments
I'm not sure I'm quite addicted, as I can still play other games, though I know if I get too embroiled in the various things in DC then I won't be able to put it down and play anything else - so maybe, yeah, I'm in denial too :)

Dying Light is going to have to take a back seat from Wednesday though...

I haven't been able to play any of the Borderlands games for a while either, which I really wanted to, especially as we've just done a marathon catch-up on The Game of Thrones, and I so badly wanted to go and play the 'slap Prince Jeffrey' mission again after all of that.

I wouldn't say addicted but I still try to play everyday to get a few solo challenges done to keep gaining XP, at one point it was all I played but slowly other games are creeping back into relevance. On PS4, I have been playing Tomb Raider(now completed), Trials Fusion and Tetris Ultimate. Also, on the sports side of things I have been playing a lot of PES with IRL friends.

Was addicted then got bored, Took 3 weeks off and loving it again. Although struggling to play more for 2 hours a time while before i was 4-5 hours a time.

I wouldn't say addicted (denial?! Am I into the denial stage?!) but I haven't played many other games lately. I used to be a hardcore trophy hunter under the alias from my previous PSN id, and I ended up playing many many games for the trophies and the trophies only. Then I started a new account when I got my hands on PS4, and decided to play games for fun. I still care about trophies.... But not like the old days. I play and plat what I like only.

I'm saying that just to justify that I'm playing DC a lot, I'm one trophy away from the platinum and I refuse to grind on purpose to get there. The journey has been fun as hell, it makes want to play the game everyday (I wish I could) and every time I boot my PS4 on I see my library there... And always decide to play DC. Either to retry a time trial, to record some laps and then watch'em on replay mode, to mess around with the liveries, explore new tracks+cars combos, try to 3 stars an event, etc etc

Yeah... I guess I'm in denial...

@skydragon49 It is not just me who goes straight to it then when I get home or have time and switch on PS4 ;)👍-Denial was the only word I could think of as I don't think I have played a racing game so much and still not bored of playing it since launch. Although I don't get to finish a race too much as I also think I am also in denial with the photo mode!:boggled: I think it has to be one of the most enjoyable racers out there ( I won't go into sim or arcade as that doesn't matter to me as long as it is fun and drives well). I went online the last few evenings and the races I had were good and pretty hard work and exhilarating and close within 10ths of a second and it all worked every time, I think people are getting pretty good at it now (a lot were level 50)and most of the dodgem car first corner boys have gone and it isn't as easy as it was to come first!.. Then the replays are addictive and now the Lambo's and still more cars to come- I can't wait for new lower end hot hatch/sports pack that I am sure will come soon as so many are requesting them. :D

Still love my Gran Turismos (still play 5 & 6), but they're looking pretty ordinary now, compared to DriveClub graphically.
Also DC is better if I've only got 15 mins spare for gaming.

Still love my Gran Turismos (still play 5 & 6), but they're looking pretty ordinary now, compared to DriveClub graphically.
Also DC is better if I've only got 15 mins spare for gaming.

Usually i have 20 minutes free on lunch break and i just go for a couple of laps on the 'Ring , you should try that too.

Last edited:
Right now I'm playing DC, GT6, Ride (demo), iRacing, & The Last of Us. These are my areas of interest.
However If DC goes on first, I don't usually have much time or interest left for the others! So I kind of have to be strategic on which games I play and in which order.

I Like to run the racing games with my Wheel set-up (unless I'm running drifting challenges), also using the wheel in DC just makes it much more enjoyable for me, so its even harder to get me off it :) lol.

But in answer to the question, Addicted to DC = No, Addicted to gaming... = Yes I think so!

I am not - I spend far more time on GTAV and The Crew over DC. I played it once recently and that was to test the new replay camera. Good game but GTA and The Crew are more addictive IMO

I'm not either.
TBH, I only got DC as it was a bundle deal with the PS4 which I bought predominantly for PCars (actually pre ordered PCars months before getting the PS4 such is my commitment).
I love driving/racing games but still can't get the driving 'feel' of DC. Compared to GT5 or 6 with a T300RS wheel, the handling feels awful to me. The cars, scenery etc are fantastic but for me, a driving game should give you a sense of achievement like when you hit that perfect line through a particular corner shaving a thousandth off your previous time.
No, for me its a case of waiting till PCars is released to get my driving kicks on the PS4.

No.
Only the graphics are damn good. It seems this is all the developers worked/focused on.
You just get xp to unlock other cars. But other than that? Where's the fun?
The mini challenges during races? They're so boring. Most of them are pointless
Drift? Bad.
DC liveries? They're so ugly I prefer the classic paint colors.
There are no credits, no tuning upgrades, no body parts.
There are no real tracks. Only fantasy tracks with corners I'll never get used to....and I don't even want to. I smash the car into the guardrail every freaking time..... but I'd love to feel the mechanical damage.
Yeah ok the cars handle a little better with the last update, but the steering, accelerating and braking are still horrible. What you say? It's an arcade racer? Well then I guess this is not the game for me.

I don't get the clubs. What's the maximum? 5 players? That's weak.
You either invite your buddies to join or it's pointless....nobody will give a 🤬 about your own club. There are thousands of clubs with only 1 player.
Online races? Most of the time they don't work (right before the end of the matchmaking I get kicked out...and I have a 50mb fiber connection with international traffic priority). Nobody use a mic, I feel like I'm racing against the AI, and I hate that.

This is basically why I fire up the game once every week, finish a race, take out the disc and play GTAV/Fifa 15 instead.

That's my opinion.

Thank God my Xbox One with Forza 5 is coming.

Last edited:
....I don't get the clubs. What's the maximum? 5 players? That's weak.
You either invite your buddies to join or it's pointless....nobody will give a 🤬 about your own club.
There are thousands of clubs with only 1 player.....

I think that the original intention of having "Clubs" with others to race with / against, was a pretty good one (U.S.P.)
Giving some unique rewards for Club Level Ups, will also encourage some people to join one.
Also limiting the group size makes it fairer, if you're challenged by another Club. 💡

But the fact is that almost as soon as I'd created my Club, 3 complete strangers joined it.
That wasn't an issue, as most of my "on-line gaming" friends don't have a PS4, let alone DriveClub !!!
As their into Fifa or Call of Duty, neither of which really interests me. :odd:

My main gripe is that, whilst 2 of the 3 have played fairly regularly & are progressing nicely through the game, like me.
1 just joined up, to presumably share our Goodies. So after a month or two, when that player was still on Level 3, I binned them from the Club. i don't care if you're a complete begginer when you join up, just play the blinkin game occasionally & help the rest of the Team won't ya !!! :banghead:

Sharing Challenges with my other 2 team members helps all of us. But I'd certainly welcome a couple of UK players to join my Team, so that we could all progress a bit faster. :lol:

i bought driveclub a month ago and i had it for 2 weeks and i returned because i just couldnt get into it, difficultz level was nice i admit it was challanging but fair (no rubberband mechanism thank god), graphically it was outstanding but other than that it was a bit too arcade *especially handling model* for my taste and it felt like a pointless game, race earn points unlock, at least other arcade racers have a story like nfs. not trying to diss the game or its fan base, i just couldnt get into it the game. as im more of a simcade or sim racer, therefore im waiting for F1 2015 and pcars in order to get a good racing experiance on the ps4. i might give it a try when i get bored of the sim racers to get a better opinion cause right no im more like, meh its to arcade for me.

i bought driveclub a month ago and i had it for 2 weeks and i returned because i just couldnt get into it, difficultz level was nice i admit it was challanging but fair (no rubberband mechanism thank god), graphically it was outstanding but other than that it was a bit too arcade *especially handling model* for my taste and it felt like a pointless game, race earn points unlock, at least other arcade racers have a story like nfs. not trying to diss the game or its fan base, i just couldnt get into it the game. as im more of a simcade or sim racer, therefore im waiting for F1 2015 and pcars in order to get a good racing experiance on the ps4. i might give it a try when i get bored of the sim racers to get a better opinion cause right no im more like, meh its to arcade for me.

Same here, It just didnt draw me in.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, if a game is not for you then its not for you!

Me personally, I have really enjoyed DC for a bit of light relief and audio & eye candy (using both wheel and DS4). Still love my Sims, iRacing (as its the only one I can run smoothly on my laptop), getting back into GT6 for some Parity racing again, and looking forward to some "soon" to be released titles on the PS4.

Focus on the positives, enjoy, have fun and make of it what you can. :cheers:

I bought a brand new copy off ebay for £15 so I could test a second hand PS4 I bought off ebay. The menus in Driveclub are very slick, background music sounds right, but the gameplay is rather...meh. I also cannot get into it at all. Maybe if I had a compatible wheel I might enjoy it more, but then again if the FFB wasn't sim I'd probablly hate it more!

I love watching the replays posted on youtube, & seeing the great photos posted in these forums. But playing the game for me is as dull as dishwater, it's just not my thing.

VBR
I bought a brand new copy off ebay for £15 so I could test a second hand PS4 I bought off ebay. The menus in Driveclub are very slick, background music sounds right, but the gameplay is rather...meh. I also cannot get into it at all. Maybe if I had a compatible wheel I might enjoy it more, but then again if the FFB wasn't sim I'd probablly hate it more!

I love watching the replays posted on youtube, & seeing the great photos posted in these forums. But playing the game for me is as dull as dishwater, it's just not my thing.

Same here and I use a wheel, Not played it for months now.

I personally think it is just a tech demo for something much better to come. So for now, I appreciate it for what it is, but ill be honest, it isn't very much! Still enjoy the photo-mode, but even the camera feels a little off. Sure the shots look great but it feels like the photographer has a really weird lens fitted or something. Hard to explain, but yeah.

VBR

I know this is not the right thread for it, but if you're looking for a deep and engaging open road experience, try out Horizon 2.

I personally think it is just a tech demo for something much better to come. So for now, I appreciate it for what it is, but ill be honest, it isn't very much! Still enjoy the photo-mode, but even the camera feels a little off. Sure the shots look great but it feels like the photographer has a really weird lens fitted or something. Hard to explain, but yeah.
EDIT 2:Interesting idea, but I do feel that if it was a tech demo, Sony wouldn't have axed half of the development team, they'd still be there but working on the new thing.

In general: I'm still addicted by the way.

Last edited:
Not addicted, but I still occasionally play it - and even enjoy it. Driveclub has some kind of strange 'like/hate' factor going on, at least for me. On the other hand it is a gorgeous looking game, graphics are mostly good. The sounds are mainly very good too (Ferrari F40...:bowdown:). Driving itself can be sometimes very rewarding experience, for example when you set a new personal record for certain track.

But, and this is a big BUT: the game starts to repeat itself quite quick. Racing against AI is very frustrating and irritating. Tracks look different but do not feel so. There are enough cars for me, but game still needs much more variation. That said, Driveclub can be a very fun game when played now and then, especially in shorter sessions at time. At the moment FH2 and Project CARS are however better alternatives in my books, but Driveclub has one big advantage over them: it's simpler and has a certain 'sunday driver' appeal it - which is not a bad thing at all.

Back