Assetto Corsa Competizione Coming to PS4 and XB1, Arrives June 23

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 2,573 comments
I've been continuing my sim testing on the budget "gaming" workstation. I don't know why Rfactor 2 was running slow before but it's running well now. About 90 frames on Rfactor 2. Automobilista 2, also around 90, Aessetto Corsa (original) does 120 frames. I finally got to try Assetto Corsa Competizione and initially on a hotlap I was doing 80 frames on pretty high settings but then when I tried a race it all went downhill... to the point of being way worse that the consoles frame rate wise. Constant hard drive activity is the killer, the machine only has 8gig of ram and also a slow drive, the game isn't using much CPU time (about 50%) but the frame rate goes from 60 to like.. nothing as it grinds on the hard drive. I will try a few things to get it faster, like.. putting more ram in the machine and also running that game off a raid card with lots of cache and maybe even a raid card with a ssd.

I did try a race with only 16 cars on low settings and the frames were then 50-65. I also got to see what is wrong with the trees on the consoles... On the consoles the trees just jump from one model to another and that's the most visually disturbing thing in the console version, on the PC .. even on the lowest settings the trees _expand_ rather than swap models and this looks so much smoother. Hopefully the tree incident is a mistake/bug. After having seen the way the PC draws the trees on low quality I can't fathom how it's so different on the consoles. I'm tempted to put enough ram in that machine to run ACC entirely from a ram disk.. out of interest. Also I think they did a pretty good job on the consoles after seeing an in theory much stronger PC struggle with the AI cars and hard drive access.

Anyway I might mess around with it some more inbetween now and PS5/sim rig time. But so far it's looking ok for everything other than ACC on a budget PC, Automobilista 2 looks the best out of the lot of them as far and smoothness and general nice coding goes... But I would say I'm going to be an Rfactor 2 kind of guy.

Last edited:
What spec PC do you have? And have you looked at how much RAM is being used when racing? If you don't have enough RAM then only more RAM will fix the issue - even the fastest storage will still cause stutter if there is a lack of RAM.

What spec PC do you have? And have you looked at how much RAM is being used when racing? If you don't have enough RAM then only more RAM will fix the issue - even the fastest storage will still cause stutter if there is a lack of RAM.

Bit of a story to it.. Basically I really liked ACC on the PS4 but it left me wanting to try it on PC and I also I wanted to try the PC only sims, I have several workstations but I've never had a gaming GPU in them.. However after some research I decided they were all too old for a sim rig and started buying parts for a new/old E5 V3 dual Xeon build.

Meanwhile.. My son wanted a gaming PC to play minecraft with mods on. So I decided to give the weakest workstation a GPU and that can be my sons PC gaming machine.. During this time the steam sale was on and I bought all the decent PC sims while they were half price. So I'm here still collecting parts for my sim rig build but now have my sons machine which is a single 6 core xeon Dell Precision T5500 with a RX 570 gpu in it and 8gig of ram. So I thought.. well hey, I'll download the sims I got on steam to see how close they are to running on this machine and that'll give me some idea how big I have to go on mine..

I was very surprised to to see that pretty much everything ran easily on it.. other than ACC. I have three other Dell Precision's (two 7500s and one 5500) of the same generation for myself all with more potent CPUs and much more ram. So I'm now considering maybe holding off on the new build and using one of the 7500s for my sim rig for a while. They have 1100 watt PSUs in them and I can load them up with dual gpus if I want to (they have dual Xeons plus 24 and 48gig of ram already).

Yesterday after seeing ACC stutter/grind to a halt while loading during a race I tried to put more ram in the sons machine but I didn't have any 4gb sticks and it wouldn't accept any out of spec configs made up of 4, 2 and 1gig sticks I had laying around.. So I got on ebay and ordered a couple of 4gig sticks. For now I'll only be able to run one but that'll give me 12 gig, I'll see if that helps. I will probably put a raid controller in it and a spare SAS drive at the same time. PS.. I did check all the usages of ram/cpu/gpu during the games and it's running very close to the full 8gb, CPU is not working very hard at all.. just 40-50% but it might like a faster single core speed?, all the other sims were sitting on 20-30% cpu time.

I assume ACC would utilise more ram and pre load stuff if it detected more ram to begin with but maybe it just requires a faster drive.. I have no clue yet. I am legit considering trying it on the machine with 48 gig of ram and running the entire game from a ram disk.. It's a cheaper solution and 10 times faster than a SSD on these old machines. If I can get ACC to do over 60 frames on medium settings on any of my 10 year old machines during a race.. I'll probably just call that a day and leave the new build wait for a while. I'd much prefer to spend my gaming money on consoles and a very good wheel and pedals, it's just the lack of quality sims that got me bothered enough to want the PC stuff. I guess there's a few people like me that prefer the simple plug and play and standardised hardware of consoles who also want the full spec simulators, maybe with the PS5 they will release more of them as direct ports with all the features, including keyboard support etc.

Completely off-topic, but have you guys seen what's possible in AC (1) now? Prepare for jaw drop!
Would be cool to have this rain quality in ACC. :)

Did they just ninja an update with rain or was there always wet weather on AC PS4?

Anyone else notice if you do more than 9 laps in a race it goes back to saying 1 lap in the top left HUD rather than 10?
Mine is random. When I'm not looking it will drop to 1 but then suddenly pick up again. I think last time it dropped off around 15 and went back to 18!? I might be off with the numbers. But yeah there's definitely something wrong

Sorry about that! Yeah I should have posted it in a different thread.

Why? Aren't we all the AC & ACC community PC & console players..

BTW, great job of the modder in the rain effects, together with the sol mod has to be amazing, just love how AC keeps improving thanks to the mod community..it's a game with no end.

Hopefully Sony & Microsoft let more freedom in next gen towards mods that don't require "official licensing" like rain mod,sol mod and others.

BTW, great job of the modder in the rain effects, together with the sol mod has to be amazing, just love how AC keeps improving thanks to the mod community..it's a game with no end.
A bit of a mystery why that guy hasn't been picked up by a studio yet. Oh well, their loss. :)

A bit of a mystery why that guy hasn't been picked up by a studio yet. Oh well, their loss. :)
Yup, sure quite a bunch of good/excellent modders out there that deserves a job coding for an development team.
If I'm correct, the official zaandvoort track of the first AC was made by modders and hired some already.
The guy that made the sol mod also deserves a job in kunos for sure.

Yup, sure quite a bunch of good/excellent modders out there that deserves a job coding for an development team.
If I'm correct, the official zaandvoort track of the first AC was made by modders and hired some already.
The guy that made the sol mod also deserves a job in kunos for sure.
That's correct regarding Zaandvoort. Also the guy who did the rating system in ACC was picked up after modding AC. The guy who made the Honda lawnmower was given some work by Kunos. And the guy that made luccaring for AC made the official kunos Laguna track for AC.

That's correct regarding Zaandvoort. Also the guy who did the rating system in ACC was picked up after modding AC. The guy who made the Honda lawnmower was given some work by Kunos. And the guy that made luccaring for AC made the official kunos Laguna track for AC.
The track artist of Laguna seca forma the original AC is Also the track artist in ACC, BTW, Laguna seca is laser scaned in both games.

That guy put quite some details in the tracks...look ACC Kyalami water evacuation system;

2:48.43 from the stream.. look that,just amazing how much detail is coded in it

I just started my first race from the pit, what makes you do that? Not:censored: on the game, actual question. I wasn't even the last person to join the lobby, I was also qualifying.

The track artist of Laguna seca forma the original AC is Also the track artist in ACC, BTW, Laguna seca is laser scaned in both games.

That guy put quite some details in the tracks...look ACC Kyalami water evacuation system;

2:48.43 from the stream.. look that,just amazing how much detail is coded in it
I assumed he might have worked on ACC but couldn't remember if Aris mentioned it. That's what makes AC so great, gives budding artist a chance to showcase their work to a wide audience and at worst gets their own into a playable game.

I have been a Gran Turismo/NASCAR driver pretty much exclusively for many years. Here is my attempt at Assetto Corsa Competitzione, Pro realism, A.I. 100% ability 100% aggression.

So I rebuilt my PS4 database last night in an attempt to fix performance at Spa. Only took 8 mins which I was surprised by, but long story short, it didn't work.
First attempt at race was ok till I span out, so I restarted and the frames tanked during the rolling start at La Source, then through Eau Rouge and all the way down the straight.

Then I restarted again, lap 1 was ok but lap 2 dropped to about 5fps at the same place. It sucks.

I'm not going to start at the back at Spa anymore as it doesn't tend to happen unless I'm there.

EDIT:
it seems like my PS4 is doing a load of game updates, I guess due to the database rebuild, and this is causing massive stutters at multiple tracks. Once these have all finished I'll try Spa again and see what happens then.

Last edited:
Ok, just wanted to say thanks to those who suggested a database rebuild - it worked!

Restarted my Spa race 4 times to test performance, starting 20th (for fun) and the framerate was fine each time. No problems at all. Highly recommend doing this.
:cheers:
Now enjoy the game full throttle :cheers:

Agree database rebuild worked wonders on my machine as I’d never bothered with it before.
Wonder do ssd need this doing for next gen? You’d imagine not.

Agree database rebuild worked wonders on my machine as I’d never bothered with it before.
Wonder do ssd need this doing for next gen? You’d imagine not.

I did a database rebuild as well but im not sure how much it helped. I already have a hybrid ssd drive in my ps4 so my rebuild took like 10min.

Got some low frame rate issues again at Spa, but this time caused by the whole AI field exiting the pits as I was approaching Eau Rouge. It's definitely a problem area, but as long as I disable pit stops there it shouldn't happen again.

In fact, I might disable pit stops for my usual 20 mins races as I just did a championship race there, started 20th, rain came at the end of lap 1, every AI car pitted for wets, I stayed out without issue, the rain stopped lap 4, they all pitted for dry tyres, and then had to pit once more when the mandatory window opened.
I won by more than 1 lap so was not the most exciting race.

I wish the AI would give their dry tyres a chance just as the rain starts, they don't always need to pit.

Back