Assetto Corsa Competizione Coming to PS4 and XB1, Arrives June 23

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 2,573 comments
Quick video I recorded to show my controller gameplay. Ignore the quality, I don't have capture cards or anything to just a straight 720p recording.

Twice now I’ve been DQd in the pit lane because another car ghosts through me and it says I’ve been speeding

A base PS4 player here. After an evening with ACC, in a nutshell

- Graphics : PS3 era
- Physics : unmatched
- Sounds : unmatched

If you can look past the utterly dated graphics, you'll have a hell of a time!

Have you looked at a PS3 game lately? 30 fps aside, I loaded up the original PS4 Assetto Corsa to do a quick physics comparison, and ACC looks vastly better, particularly lighting.
Sure, it's no match for GT Sport or the six(?) years old DriveClub (the latter is still a marvel of technology), but it holds up quite well alongside Project Cars 2 on console.

Anyway, now that my eyes have had a little time to adjust to the framerate I'm having a total blast with ACC. Definitely the best GT3 racing against AI - or hotlapping - I've had on consoles (and I haven't had a gaming PC in a very long time, so probably ever on any platform).

Aha it’s not Just me who has this.

I already set it correct in the ps4 menu

I think we’re SOL, I even shrunk the PS4 screen size option to the minimum and it did nothing. All my TV options just make it worse, that is how I see it on normal. Oh well, we can’t be missing that much are we?

I think we’re SOL, I even shrunk the PS4 screen size option to the minimum and it did nothing. All my TV options just make it worse, that is how I see it on normal. Oh well, we can’t be missing that much are we?

I hope not

Downloading now... if the frame rate is any worse than wrc or pcars then that is definitely going to suck.
Kyalami seems to be the best track I’ve tried so far in terms of FPS. But expect a choppy performance especially when turning. I’ve raised the issue through 505 games using the official form and also posted directly on the Kunos forums. Game is still playable but it is distracting.

If you find out, let us know :D

I generally play on a 36" 720p/1080i panel that apparently has decided it can accept 1080p at some point in the last decade, and it slices the edges off it. A newer but much smaller 1080p panel is just fine.

Have you looked at a PS3 game lately? 30 fps aside, I loaded up the original PS4 Assetto Corsa to do a quick physics comparison, and ACC looks vastly better, particularly lighting.
Sure, it's no match for GT Sport or the six(?) years old DriveClub (the latter is still a marvel of technology), but it holds up quite well alongside Project Cars 2 on console.

Anyway, now that my eyes have had a little time to adjust to the framerate I'm having a total blast with ACC. Definitely the best GT3 racing against AI - or hotlapping - I've had on consoles (and I haven't had a gaming PC in a very long time, so probably ever on any platform).

So (as usual) we're all in agreement then? :confused:

On my base PS4 GTSport looks pretty impressive, PCars2 looks a bit ragged with lots of jaggies ... but of course, it's got a lot going on in terms of "special effects". AC looks great in a crisp, clean way. All of them look perfectly fine for racing. GTSport is by far the most impressive looking when it comes to replays.

Well I am having a blast with the game on PS4 pro and T150 wheel :D
Yea, graphics isn't GT sport like, but it's ok. I am so focused staying on track that I don't see tree's or object pop up, so I don't mind that.
Frame rate isn't a issue with me, dunno I find it smooth, and I am coming from GT sport.
Didn't have single drop in Frame rate in three hour session.
I was worried about 30fps, but really I don't mind that, dunno why :D
Monza track is maybe to much grainy, so I can't see markers with meters :D
Btw I am playing on 1080p monitor.

Enjoying the game so far, haven't noticed any serious skipping or framerate issues on my OG PS4. Only problem for me is figuring out how to get rid of the deadzone on my G29.

So the developers have compromised the graphics because the consoles aren't going to withstand its original requirements. Cool, but it's not a heavy game after all ! I think it's around 17gb, so there's plenty to improve upon! So can somebody please enlighten me on why it has been downgraded? Im not that smart in these technical stuff. Thx

So the developers have compromised the graphics because the consoles aren't going to withstand its original requirements. Cool, but it's not a heavy game after all ! I think it's around 17gb, so there's plenty to improve upon! So can somebody please enlighten me on why it has been downgraded? Im not that smart in these technical stuff. Thx

The size of the game doesn't equal the power required to run it.

Twice now I’ve been DQd in the pit lane because another car ghosts through me and it says I’ve been speeding
THIS!!!!
It's now happened to me 5 times!!! I'm used to the driving now, but getting busted in the pit lane because the AI drive through me is infuriating.

If you're not careful, the AI will drive through you on the way into the pits as well.

It's now cost me a couple races wins. :mad:

Using a CSL Elite on the PS4, it seems that I can't use my DS4 when in the menus etc, little bit annoying but not a big deal, is there something I'm doing wrong?

So (as usual) we're all in agreement then? :confused:

On my base PS4 GTSport looks pretty impressive, PCars2 looks a bit ragged with lots of jaggies ... but of course, it's got a lot going on in terms of "special effects". AC looks great in a crisp, clean way. All of them look perfectly fine for racing. GTSport is by far the most impressive looking when it comes to replays.

Well, I don't disagree with you in your assessment of those games :) (except that while AC does look "crisp and clean", I do feel it looks much more basic than the other mentioned games, as well as compared to ACC).
Personally I feel AC Competizione looks about on par with Project Cars 2, but obviously with lower framerate and fewer cars on screen. And in night and sunrise/sunset races where PC2 gets a very pixelated look on at least the base PS4, ACC doesn't seem to get downgraded.

But whatever opinions on visuals and framerates, I can already definitely say that for me the singleplayer racing experience (with a wheel) in ACC is second to none.

So after a good few hours, my thoughts.

Overall, very good, I think its presented well throughout, the 30fps thing doesn't bother me, I have noticed any lagging or skipping and there's plenty of detail. The cockpit views are excellent, as are the sounds when using those views, its the definitive way to experience this game, and I'm normally a chase cam user. There seems to be a decent amount to do for a game based on a specific series, the career mode is involving enough, special events bulk it out and nice to see a standard championship mode for just straight up, choose a car, choose a series and go racing.
I'm happy it plays well with a pad, way more drivable than PC2. It feels like you can actually push the cars and experience the game properly, something very few hardcore driving games have done.
The track and car models are excellent as well, the tracks feel really authentic and dynamic time of day and weather is a nice addition and looks good too.

I have only a few gripes with my experience so far.
Firstly, it does take a bit of tinkering to get a nice feel on the pad, this isn't acceptable in 2020. A majority of gamers play with a pad and will be put off immediately by how it feels default. Theres also no descriptions for what each setting does, so it is truly trial and error.
On that train of thought, there's no explanations for the racing rules, driver changes and so on, the game never tells you whats required of you at any given time.
Finally, I can't understand why we can't use custom liveries in career mode, it is especially strange and annoying as there is a pretty decent livery editor in the multiplayer section. Surely can't be that hard for it to be usable in career mode.

It really feels like a true successor to Simbins GTR2 from way back when. And thats no bad thing.

Anyone else notice the understeer vibration like in GTS? It’s not nearly as strong as in GT, but it’s there. I paused a few times because I thought my phone was vibrating before I realized what it was.

Well, I don't disagree with you in your assessment of those games :) (except that while AC does look "crisp and clean", I do feel it looks much more basic than the other mentioned games, as well as compared to ACC).
Personally I feel AC Competizione looks about on par with Project Cars 2, but obviously with lower framerate and fewer cars on screen. And in night and sunrise/sunset races where PC2 gets a very pixelated look on at least the base PS4, ACC doesn't seem to get downgraded.

But whatever opinions on visuals and framerates, I can already definitely say that for me the singleplayer racing experience (with a wheel) in ACC is second to none.

I guess that's what I'm getting at. Every game has its own physics style & its own graphics style. Going from one that you are used to, to another one can be pretty jarring at first. Going from AC to PCars2 I was very unimpressed with the graphics & bewildered by the physics. But PCars2 does have a lot of interesting graphic depth - it just looks ... different (& it's easy to imagine that it would look a lot better on a high end PC than on my PS4). AC looks great, in its own way. As you say, it's "more basic". If ACC look at least as good as AC, I'll be satisfied ... & interested to see what it looks like on a PS5.

Can't say my initial experience with ACC was the best.

To begin with, my T300 was rumbling like mad with each slight turn of the wheel. Totally unplayable and I even feared it would damage it.
Tried everything imaginable with the setups and nothing worked.
A quick search and discovered it might be the firmware...

Went through the pain of connecting the wheel to my PC, and updating the firmware (was on 29, current is 31) did the trick.

After that, finally went for a quick spin (at Laguna Seca) and was surprised by the impact the low framerate had on me - or, at least, the fact that there are some drops in it and added stutter and god knows what else.
My brain simply wasn't being able to process the motion. Can't explain it any better, but it was really weird.

Went to another track (Zandvoort) and things got better, I think. This track (or any other variable introduced, I'm not sure) seemed to make things more stable and the experience improved a lot. Finally did a couple of clean laps.
When starting a race, however, things got ugly again, with the other cars looking awful, hovering over the tarmac in a jerky way.

I ended up not playing much and really expect (and hope) to get used to it once I play some more, and that things will improve for me.

Because there's no doubt that underneath the ugly layer lies this amazing physics engine and fenomenal feedback*, that somehow is able to make the experience of driving feel even better than AC.

*Force feedback on my T300 was excellent, as usual without any fiddling - I just set the gain to 75%, as I prefer things on the light side.

It’s baffling how much better the original AC runs and looks on PS4 Pro. I know the new game is more advanced under the hood, but I don’t care when it barely runs decently. Waste of money for now.

Been playing the game a couple of days now and still can't play multiplayer. Everytime I join a server it disconnects me as soon as I start driving, not got a clue what is going on. Been spending most of my time messing around with wheel settings which seems to be a common theme from what I've heard. Hopefully we see a patch real soon to fix the issues and add features that don't work like the livery edited and the headlights

Spent an over an hour, maybe 90 mins, base PS4/G29.

I didn't see too much stutter from bonnet or bumper cam, but the frame rate is painfully obvious in slower corners. Generally I think it looks worse than the original. Not sure if its the framerate but I don't really get a sense of speed from it. I did try chase cam and I think that makes the graphics even worse - at brands the car seemed more than half the width of the track, looks very arcadey to me, soon went back to bumper cam.

I also have the issue screenshotted with the display not fitting on the screen. Also, went to brands and there were no yard markers for corners - odd I thought. Spa didn't either, Monza did. Intentional ?

Have fiddled with wheel settings but honestly, I'm not getting much feel at all, it (mostly) goes where I point it but its guesswork/luck as to if it slides/locks up/whatever... FFB rattles a bit and grumbles for bumps in the road but thats it really, I don't feel if a wheel is on a kerb or the back is sliding for example.
Also, the button mapping ia a joke even if you don't want to use the presets you can only map half the buttons on the G29. Can you even use a button box on console ? will it support keyboard ? even if it does its far from ideal. For things like traction/abs/fuel map up/down it needs to work on a menu system so there's select/up/down.

I was in and out of options messing about but I noticed if I exited and went to another track (in practice) sometimes settings were retained, other times not. Everything from controller settings to hud preferences. Cming out to main menu and changing them seemed to make them stick. Related to this (possibily) I did some practice laps and then switched to a race, in practice the car had loads of traction and grip, in the race it was like someone put worn tyres on it right from the outset.

So I jumped in to a quick race, got hit by the AI pre-start, at one point actually turning me around and I got a penalty for my trouble. Did finally get a race going and got spun by the AI on entry to a corner, just punted me in the rear 3 quarter. Restarted, similar thing happened. Granted AI was on 90% (default, haven't found where you change that yet) but that shouldn't really happen. Unimpressed.

Went to multiplayer, it tells me that there are 150 odd servers available, but shows maybe a dozen? can't get in half of them because they're in a race, the others I simply got a connection error.

The thing in the top right corner that says useful things like "Perfect!" and "Very Aggressive!" is utter trash, who thought that needs to be in a "proper sim" ? its like the 1980s outrun coin op and is utterly cringeworthy.

TL;DR worst graphics I've seen on PS4, game implemtation is rough all round, the much lauded "real sim" feel/physics etc hasn't yet come to light.

Been playing the game a couple of days now and still can't play multiplayer. Everytime I join a server it disconnects me as soon as I start driving, not got a clue what is going on. Been spending most of my time messing around with wheel settings which seems to be a common theme from what I've heard. Hopefully we see a patch real soon to fix the issues and add features that don't work like the livery edited and the headlights

Have you updated the game since getting it? Perhaps the initial version doesn't work in multiplayer?

I absolutely hate that I can’t customize the HUD. PC2 has spoiled me.

Also, I hear the spotter tell me there’s damage on my car but there’s nothing in the HUD that tells me what the damage is, what the extent is.

Speaking of the spotter, he’s really as close to useless as it gets. Hes near impossible to hear and I have his volume at max.

somehow, I managed to open the menu where you can change your brake bias and things like that, you know, the narrow menu that’s in list form while you’re racing. My problem is if I don’t know how to get rid of it

I absolutely hate that I can’t customize the HUD. PC2 has spoiled me.

Also, I hear the spotter tell me there’s damage on my car but there’s nothing in the HUD that tells me what the damage is, what the extent is.

Speaking of the spotter, he’s really as close to useless as it gets. Hes near impossible to hear and I have his volume at max.

somehow, I managed to open the menu where you can change your brake bias and things like that, you know, the narrow menu that’s in list form while you’re racing. My problem is if I don’t know how to get rid of it

touchpad on controller

Back