Assetto Corsa Console Update 1.14 Thread — Releases May 17

I think this update has made me realise some things about AC.

After I’d downloaded the update last evening, I took the 991R to Highlands long. Lovely car, OK track. All of my recent game time has been spent in GT3 cars, either running the endless career races, or racing on line. The R/highlands combo made me realise how much more I enjoy road cars for just lapping on my own… I could really feel the weight of the car moving around.

Inspired me to try a few more road cars (lotus Elise/Exige/BMW M1/M4) on street tyres… and being honest, I didn’t get much enjoyment out of them. They all felt a bit flat, a bit dull, a bit understeery (the Elise in particular). What I mean by this is I couldn’t really adjust the cars balance… either I got entry/mid corner understeer I couldn’t adjust by lifting, or I got power oversteer. No real weight shift related handling changes.

I guess this will be controversial/against the common view point, but IMO, whilst GT might have been less ‘sim’, it is more enjoyable to play for normal road cars. Don’t know what GTS is like as I don’t have it, but in GT6 most road cars had that feeling of being on ‘tip toes’ once you got them to the limit… you could play with the balance of the car with the brakes/throttle all the way from entry to apex.

For sure, I prefer AC as a racing game (the race cars feel lovely to drive), but not sure it has longevity for me as a ‘I have a free hour, I’ll just go drive something’ game.

One point on the update… the 991RSR… that thing is a limpet. Once I figure out how to fix the horrendous brake release oversteer, I think this thing is going to be hilariously fast.
What did you have the track condition set to?

What did you have the track condition set to?

Didn't change anything... so whatever they are standard.

But surely track conditions don't change the balance of a car (the relative grip, front to rear)?

We have reason to complain,seeing how slack Kunos has been towards the console version. Imo SMS put far more care,love and attention into the Pcars series.

I love both games...

But,PCars PC version is also better than console version and received more support.
Still waiting for the fix on paid DLC Silvertone classic box stuck bug or nurburgring combined box stuck bug...while on PC version they are fixed.

Second, Assetto started on PC in 2013.
Not as pcars that was developed for 3 platforms at same time and with quite some experience developing on console while kunos it's his first experience on consoles.
Consoles versions came in 2016..
Made by 4 guys from a team of 30 devs.
They maked mistakes? Yup, i still believe that custom lobbies should been in the game on realese.

But we asked button mapping and they listen to the community... They are fast? No.
But since the launch of the game they didn't stop to work and improve the game.

That is my point of view.
Nobody is perfect, and I'm sure that Pcars 2 will land with issues and bugs, more for those that have standard PS4 & Xbox One.
But sure that they will work to improve the game trough support time lapse.
At least i hope that they don't let things broken as the 2 PAID dlc track bugs this time.

And all extra content i receive as cars or track for free i don't gonna complain towards it.
Like i didn't complain for Highlands or the free given Porsche & Maserati suvs.

Like I'm also sure that if something is wrong and broken, the first persons that got interest that it works as intended are the development team... But coding for sure isn't really easy.

Have a nice day!

Question? How do you change cars in custom championship? It has me in a Abarth 500 EsseEsse :( But i wanna switch to the P1?
Look down on the screen once you are in car selection... There's a button to adjudicate selected car to you.

Its a bit difficult in the beginning, but on the bottom of the screen you have some information.

Hope that you find it out easy

They are great. Full control, a lot os possibilities. But that is also very, very bad. The online section now is full caos. I made a thread explaining it

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...-useless-after-1-14-possible-solutions.45292/

Those 🤬 elitist PC players... :mad: You wrote a very detailed, constructive post outlining issues you perceive as being in a state of disarray right now and offered suggestions on how to improve the experience for console players. And then these Johnny Big Balls PC players are the first to respond telling you to look at the positive, or act like YOU are doing something wrong? Ugh...I wish there was a "Punch in the Face" button on the internet that you could use once every six months.

I fully support your post on the official forums, @SlimCharles - Would I expect the dev team to be printing copies of your post so they can implement every suggestion you made? Of course not...but I also don't think that you suggested anything outlandish. I promise you...if those PC players had to deal with the issues you brought up, they would be the first whining and crying on the PC forums screaming and begging for changes to be made.

Honestly I think it's fine. If you want to avoid madness just make your room with your friends or join some race clubs or series...

I mean aren't you on gtp for this very reason?

Also not even day one there was that many people online. It was refreshing and unexpected

Didn't change anything... so whatever they are standard.

But surely track conditions don't change the balance of a car (the relative grip, front to rear)?
Take the NA MX-5 to the Highlands track and set the condition to dirty or old.

It makes quite a bit of difference as the track surface isn't a single grip level as it is when set to optimum (the default).

Unless the grip levels are the exact same for every square inch of the tarmac (as they seem to be for optimum) then yes it could and does seem to make quite a difference.

I gave the Apro M4 a go last night on 'old' surface and switched between semi-slick and street tyres and the difference between the two was very, very noticeable.

Take the NA MX-5 to the Highlands track and set the condition to dirty or old.

It makes quite a bit of difference as the track surface isn't a single grip level as it is when set to optimum (the default).

Unless the grip levels are the exact same for every square inch of the tarmac (as they seem to be for optimum) then yes it could and does seem to make quite a difference.

I gave the Apro M4 a go last night on 'old' surface and switched between semi-slick and street tyres and the difference between the two was very, very noticeable.

It's not the overall grip level... it's the balance of the cars grip front to rear.

I might be able to fix through the settings, but stock, the cars I ran last night had no feeling of rotation in to the corner, or mid corner if I lifted the throttle to shift the weight.

As I mentioned above, there are bugs and issues. Not a huge surprise on launch day.

I have a gripe in the fact that the Nordschleife Tourist version cannot be chosen because custom lobbies only allow race weekends. The old Kunos-created trackday lobbies only consist of a practice session, resulting in qualifying and race sessions being defined as n/a. The custom lobbies lack this, and thereby the tourist layout many players enjoy.

Another thing, the assists are defined by the host as on, off and factory. You get the idea... This is not necessarily a problem, but I think the custom lobbies forget that some hosts may want players to make these decisions for themselves. There should also be an 'allow' or 'do not allow' setting for assists like auto clutch. It would add more flexibility in rooms where players use a variety of different controllers.

I can't really comment on the extent to which the new lobbies meet most of the basic requirements, but I did come across password prompts and so on. Important step forward for a more serious online experience.
Bit of an oversight regarding Tourist. Also global assists is my main issue with custom lobbies. My mates want it on, I'm happy for them to have it on but dont want to use them myself.

Did my first lap around the Highlands circuit and wow great track 10/10 from me :D Also the ability to customize the cockpit view is the best i seen in a game :bowdown::)
This setting has completely changed the game for me, in a good way that is.

Yea, that's really good. I like turning the visual wheel off sometimes but in some cars the camera used for that can be too close for me.
Well if you move FOV towards the upper digits you can now remove the wheel and have a normal cockpit view ( Switch to dash cam once you've st it)

It's not the overall grip level... it's the balance of the cars grip front to rear.

I might be able to fix through the settings, but stock, the cars I ran last night had no feeling of rotation in to the corner, or mid corner if I lifted the throttle to shift the weight.
Iirc @BrandonW77 had an issue with not enjoying road cars untill he took Aris' advice of lowering PSI 3 to 5 clicks.

Honestly I think it's fine. If you want to avoid madness just make your room with your friends or join some race clubs or series...

I mean aren't you on gtp for this very reason?

Also not even day one there was that many people online. It was refreshing and unexpected

Is not fine for me. The private secction now is perfect (before we haven't got any). But the public section is completely useless.

I will race on leagues and so on. But if I want something different, for example Supercars, I will have to search for more communities.

With such a easy fix, you could have private and decent public multiplayer.

The overall grip level can have an effect on that as well, as can tyre pressure (as has just been mentioned).

Give it a go and see what you think.

I thought the champoinshp mode was for online, it's not, so isn't for me.

I thought the adjustment in car was for dash cam, it's not, so adds nothing to the game for me.

I am a die hard stock car racer, so no fixed set ups renders online useless too. All in all not a great update for me personally.

:(

VBR
I thought the adjustment in car was for dash cam, it's not, so adds nothing to the game for me.

If you adjust your FOV it should adjust the view in dash cam, though only front/back and not left/right/up/down.

VBR

I am a die hard stock car racer, so no fixed set ups renders online useless too. All in all not a great update for me personally.

The championship thing was always known to be for offline only.

Regarding the adjustments, starting from your regular cockpit cam, I think you can turn it into whatever you want - a dash cam like the one in AC or even a dash cam like Driveclub (above it).

About setups, I really believe that it is just a bug that won't let us have it fixed for now. It should be changed soon, I hope.

About setups, I really believe that it is just a bug that won't let us have it fixed for now. It should be changed soon, I hope.

It is possible on PC (though a bit fiddly) so hopefully it comes to consoles. But with how it works on PC I'm not sure if the same method would be possible on consoles, hopefully they figure something out though.

So the quattro S1 E2 is utterly bonkers.

Even at idle the car is intimidating.

Let me ask you guys a question. Lobbies aren't strictly 100% racing are they? Can you setup a "Nordschleife Track Day" lobby, for example? If so, I do agree that it's pretty strange you can't use the Tourist version as that is 100% realistic to a public driving day and the full layout is not. Plus, it helps preventing idiots from just being dicks flying back and forth on the long straight. :lol:

As I said, I haven't found a way to create a lobby that doesn't involve a race session. Qualifying can be skipped but a single lap race is a minimum requirement. I hope Kunos will look into this. Nordschleife Tourist rooms have been crowded ever since AC released on consoles and could also benefit greatly from the customizable aspect.

Bit of an oversight regarding Tourist. Also global assists is my main issue with custom lobbies. My mates want it on, I'm happy for them to have it on but dont want to use them myself.

Exactly! I seem to remember that GT5 and GT6 got these things right.

If you adjust your FOV it should adjust the view in dash cam, though only front/back and not left/right/up/down.

Interesting observation... I think the framerate has always felt more smooth from dash view than it does in cockpit view. I've seen PC players mention this too. Adjusting the FOV so the dash cam mimics the default cockpit doesn't change this perception. This makes me wonder how much of a strain the steering wheel animation in cockpit view, which is removed in the dash view, is causing on the hardware.

Last edited:
So in todays PC update "Random camera algorithm" Added. This is what i have wanted for a while so hope we get it in the next console update.

VBR

As mentioned you can pretty much create your own dash cam..

Interesting observation... I think the framerate has always felt more smooth from dash view that it does in cockpit view. I've seen PC players mention this too. Adjusting the FOV so the dash cam mimics the default cockpit doesn't change this perception. This makes me wonder how much of a strain the steering wheel animation in cockpit view, which is removed in the dash view, is causing on the hardware.

At least on the PC if you adjust your FOV it will adjust the dash cam forward/backward, but I'm pretty sure I saw a console player mention it's the same on consoles. But be aware that adjusting your FOV can change how you perceive the track and handling of the car, it can make things look and feel quite weird if you go too extreme.

I'd presume having the animated wheel on would use up some overhead which could lead to some unsmoothness, but that's just a guess.

At least on the PC if you adjust your FOV it will adjust the dash cam forward/backward, but I'm pretty sure I saw a console player mention it's the same on consoles. But be aware that adjusting your FOV can change how you perceive the track and handling of the car, it can make things look and feel quite weird if you go too extreme.

That is how it now works on consoles. You're right that the FOV can get too much past a certain point, but I'd say there's a fair bit of space to eliminate most of the default shortcomings without going overboard.

I'd presume having the animated wheel on would use up some overhead which could lead to some unsmoothness, but that's just a guess.

Probably, I struggle to find another explanation.

Back