Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
I thought about getting a wheel stand once upon a time, but I found that the computer desk my dad and I built years ago is a far better option. Since I'm already playing on PC, I just mount the wheel directly, raise the pedals a bit, and voila. I even did that in my PS3 days by just moving the TV over :lol: Strong desk > folding wheel stands, assuming you already have a good desk to use, that is.

Get yourself one of these types of tables. They're not great, by any means. But it's the only way I can mount a steering wheel in this small room. Damn...I just assumed you played with a wheel. You deserve a wheel. :D

Sim racing accessory of the purest kind you got there, but do you have room for a shifter extension on that thing?

Thing is, I'd rather not rearrange the living room every so often and have extra pieces of furniture standing around. I'm not even convinced that the console version of AC is worth investing in as a hobby with important custom settings from the PC version still missing.

The Playseat Challenge looks like a good, compact setup that's easy to fold up and stow away like the tv tray setup. But they want ridiculous money for what's basically a lawn chair with a crossbar attached. :odd: The Wheel Stand Pro is probably the next best option but it's still $200. :scared:

Yes, I've been looking at that one but the price tag only adds to the concerns I described above. Part of me thinks I'd be better off saving the money for a dedicated PC setup which does not transform the TV and coffee table area into something resembling the minimum requirements for a man cave. :lol:

Last edited:
I use one of these tables for my wheel: https://www.walmart.com/ip/20-x-40-Fold-in-Half-Table-Black/46944832
Works pretty good, and is plenty stable enough for my T150. Dunno how hard that specific table would be to find outside of Walmart, but I am sure there are other similar tables out there.

IMAG1128s.jpg

@Nielsen Unfortunately, I can't really give you a definite answer about mounting the shifter. I only have a DFGT with no external shifter nor a 3-pedal set of driving pedals. :grumpy:

I don't recommend it because it's a great way to game, but rather it's the least cumbersome option for mounting a wheel, I think. In my case, I just leave the thing mounted and push the table & wheel out of the way when I'm done with a session, however, a living room doesn't afford that type of option. It does fold up to a tiny footprint. If your couch is up against a wall you might possibly be able to slide it between the back of the couch and the wall, depending on the style of your couch, of course. Or, maybe slip it into a closet.

I wish I had better choices to suggest. I'm in a very similar position as you. This is why I'm stuck racing in my friggin' bedroom. I live with a friend - its his house and he was not very keen on me keeping this thing in the living room. Can't say that I blame him either. I used to detach the wheel every session, fold it up and put it away every single time I would play but then I gave up and just put it in my bedroom.

The Playseat Challenge looks like a good, compact setup that's easy to fold up and stow away like the tv tray setup. But they want ridiculous money for what's basically a lawn chair with a crossbar attached.
In the case of the Playseat Challenge, you're definitely paying a bit more than just the materials. But it really is a clever and unique solution, and that has a price, too. And the materials aren't that bad, either.

If you take into account the prices of simple wheel stands, then it becomes even more valuable.

I've used all kinds of tables and wheel stands before and honestly, while it may not be a proper rig, my sim racing experience has upped 500% since I got it, along with some proper pedals and shifter (which I couldn't have before as well).

IJRqZfSl.jpg

In the case of the Playseat Challenge, you're definitely paying a bit more than just the materials. But it really is a clever and unique solution, and that has a price, too. And the materials aren't that bad, either.

If you take into account the prices of simple wheel stands, then it becomes even more valuable.

I've used all kinds of tables and wheel stands before and honestly, while it may not be a proper rig, my sim racing experience has upped 500% since I got it, along with some proper pedals and shifter (which I couldn't have before as well).

IJRqZfSl.jpg
Okay...I'm going to need your address and a list of standard times that your home is left empty. So, if you could just jot down working hours, school hours or black mass hours, that'd be really helpful.

Okay...I'm going to need your address and a list of standard times that your home is left empty. So, if you could just jot down working hours, school hours or black mass hours, that'd be really helpful.
You might want to consider buying the whole set yourself just for the price of the plane ticket alone, I'm afraid.

Get yourself one of these types of tables. They're not great, by any means. But it's the only way I can mount a steering wheel in this small room. Damn...I just assumed you played with a wheel. You deserve a wheel. :D
68635084_L.jpg

You have more options, this is the pseudo-cockpit I had 15 years ago, it was very solid and quite comfortable, as you can see my room was ridiculously small. :embarrassed:

33323775920_082788f559_o.jpg

The mini cockpit was really cheap, a 25€ IKEA chair with a wood strip attached with some screws, it had an easy way to detach that wood strip with butterfly nuts, the pedals were hold by a simple cord (quite rubbish, I know :D) but with a pair of wood strips you can attach the pedals there and it could be quite solid.

I do want to try Assetto Corsa. Maybe what I am intrigued most about AC is its driving model. It is likely better with a steering wheel, but I think it has a pretty interesting driving model. I even once saw someone drift cars with AC using a VR setup. Very entertaining.

You have more options, this is the pseudo-cockpit I had 15 years ago, it was very solid and quite comfortable, as you can see my room was ridiculously small. :embarrassed:

The mini cockpit was really cheap, a 25€ IKEA chair with a wood strip attached with some screws, it had an easy way to detach that wood strip with butterfly nuts, the pedals were hold by a simple cord (quite rubbish, I know :D) but with a pair of wood strips you can attach the pedals there and it could be quite solid.

That's brilliant! It's simple and cheap but perfectly solves the problem and is probably pretty comfortable. Bonus points for what I'm going to presume is a glass of scotch next to you, I like you're style. 👍

Group C in this game is so difficult and unrewarding to drive. Can anyone give me pointers on how to tune and drive these things? What kind of times are you guys doing on Spa for example?

Group C in this game is so difficult and unrewarding to drive. Can anyone give me pointers on how to tune and drive these things? What kind of times are you guys doing on Spa for example?

The 787B and the 962C are my jam! I enjoy them and don't really tweak very much besides tires, aero, and sometimes dampers and ride height if it's a bumpier track.

For those, you really gotta be easy on the throttle coming out of slower corners if you're not using traction control (factory) and really just tread lightly on medium to slow corners overall. They have loads of downforce so you make most of your time on the high speed corners. When braking without ABS (also factory), use the downforce to your advantage and brake hard at first before easing off of the brakes as you get slower and turn in.

With the 787B, my best at Spa is a 2:18.something and it's a 2:13.something in the 962C Short Tail. I find them pretty rewarding on bigger tracks.

The 787B and the 962C are my jam! I enjoy them and don't really tweak very much besides tires, aero, and sometimes dampers and ride height if it's a bumpier track.

For those, you really gotta be easy on the throttle coming out of slower corners if you're not using traction control (factory) and really just tread lightly on medium to slow corners overall. They have loads of downforce so you make most of your time on the high speed corners. When braking without ABS (also factory), use the downforce to your advantage and brake hard at first before easing off of the brakes as you get slower and turn in.

With the 787B, my best at Spa is a 2:18.something and it's a 2:13.something in the 962C Short Tail. I find them pretty rewarding on bigger tracks.
Is Eau Rouge-Raidillon flat for you?

That is awesome! 👍 The good thing about your "rig" up above is the screwed down steering wheel plank. That wheel ain't goin' nowhere. :sly: That's the worst part of my crappy little table, the legs sometimes lift on my more spirited driving moments. :eek: :D

IJRqZfSl.jpg

I have same setup without the shifter. I love the Playseat Challenge. Great price. Doesn't destroy my living room by being there.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable suggestion to be honest, and i'm also surprised they don't interact with their target audience in any meaningful way. The whole Kaz Q&A thing was not only a failure, but downright insulting. For PD to first attempt to organise such a community interaction, and then completely ignore said community and abandon the idea with no explanation, was just pathetic. PD don't even have their own forum to interact with their community, which is ridiculous in this day and age. Almost every other developer can manage to run forums for their games, and as you said, SMS even goes to other large forums like this one to interact with the wider sim racing community. Although, to be honest, I really wish Stefano would stay away from the community lol. But I agree, a company the size of PD very well should have someone dedicated to engaging with the community. Hell, they could afford an entire department devoted to setting up and running a forum, and sending individuals to major forums like this one to engage with their fans. I'd be willing to bet it'd go a long way to strengthening their fan base.

I think you have articulated end user frustrations with PD very well! :bowdown:............Typically with a public corporation you would expect to see marketing, research, advertising and social media functions interacting with the public. With all the mystery surrounding how PD is actually structured (One might conclude that PD is driven by one big Ego) I will never have any confidence that PD can produce a quality product, which by definition, requires legitimate end user research an input. :banghead:

I think you have articulated end user frustrations with PD very well! :bowdown:............Typically with a public corporation you would expect to see marketing, research, advertising and social media functions interacting with the public. With all the mystery surrounding how PD is actually structured (One might conclude that PD is driven by one big Ego) I will never have any confidence that PD can produce a quality product, which by definition, requires legitimate end user research an input. :banghead:
Ever stop to think Kaz doesnt want community feedback? I mean all the evidence suggests just that. He probably feels like, I have sold millions of these games I dont need anyone telling me how to make my game. You cant really blame him. He keeps selling millions of copies. As long as people keep buying GT they arent changing anything. Why would they, they lead the market in sales.

Ever stop to think Kaz doesnt want community feedback? I mean all the evidence suggests just that. He probably feels like, I have sold millions of these games I dont need anyone telling me how to make my game. You cant really blame him. He keeps selling millions of copies. As long as people keep buying GT they arent changing anything. Why would they, they lead the market in sales.

I am convinced that Kaz does not want community feedback and that would concern me as a shareholder, I'd take the position that just leading in market share is not good enough. I'd demand they do even better, to challenge themselves, to consider additional strategies that could lead to obliterating market share beyond anything they've ever done before or ever thought possible.....ok, maybe a pipe dream, but worthy of discussion.....:cheers:

68635084_L.jpg
This stand can work well in conjunction with a piece of plywood, some L-brackets and screws. Set your chair and the stand on the plywood and fasten the stand to the wood with the L-brackets. You can also drive wood screws down through your pedals and into the plywood, just be careful of any screws poking out the bottom of the wood if you're on hard floors.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I just got my PC (coming from PS4) and got AC as I wanted more open wheel stuff that PCars had to offer and so far so good. I was doing my first race today against the AI at Mugello and needed to pit because I only had 1 lap of fuel left, so I pit. I pulled into the box and it seemed nothing happened, there was a small box with pit strategies but I kept trying to click on it with the mouse and nothing. I finally just hit the escape button and went from there. Lost over a lap trying to figure it out lol.

Thanks for any help

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I just got my PC (coming from PS4) and got AC as I wanted more open wheel stuff that PCars had to offer and so far so good. I was doing my first race today against the AI at Mugello and needed to pit because I only had 1 lap of fuel left, so I pit. I pulled into the box and it seemed nothing happened, there was a small box with pit strategies but I kept trying to click on it with the mouse and nothing. I finally just hit the escape button and went from there. Lost over a lap trying to figure it out lol.

Thanks for any help

I've not used it yet but I think you need to use the d-pad on your wheel to select the pit options, and you may need to map them first. I'm sure someone who has used the new pit feature will chime in and clarify.

I've not used it yet but I think you need to use the d-pad on your wheel to select the pit options, and you may need to map them first. I'm sure someone who has used the new pit feature will chime in and clarify.

You are correct sir! It does use the Dpad to choose what you want on you stop as I just tried it, thank you. NOW, lol, how do I get the the pit to actually start? After making my choices I couldn't fing any way to get the work done. Lol, man

Back