Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
Meh... Never-mind. My question made me delve into the company that it Kunos, and I now realize that Assetto doesn't really have much of a future on consoles. It was a money grab, and they got my money, once. While it is a game that features a great driving feeling... I doubt it will ever be a great game.
:lol: I like you. You're funny. :D

Where do you think I've been working for the last year lol?

You might not want to say that too loudly around here...

R5p9G94.gif

:lol:

Why does the Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34) have downshift protection enabled? The car comes with a manual transmission, but impossible to downshift when the revs are high. :odd:

Not that I want to destroy the engine, but I have never heard of this feature in a non-paddle car.

Why does the Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34) have downshift protection enabled? The car comes with a manual transmission, but impossible to downshift when the revs are high. :odd:

Not that I want to destroy the engine, but I have never heard of this feature in a non-paddle car.
Odd. Must be a console version bug. I just took my R34 V-Spec out for a run on Nordschleife and blew the piss out of the engine downshifting from 2nd into 1st gear. Tachometer rocketed to 10,000RPM and my engine went bye-bye. The engine damage indicator flashed a couple of times and then stayed all red. :crazy: You owe me one engine, Nielsen! :D Funny...I was never really a big fan of the Skylines. I'm sure GT6 had a crapload to do with that. So, I never really drove the R34 in AC. Within the past 3-4 months I've really taken a liking to it on certain tracks.

Odd. Must be a console version bug. I just took my R34 V-Spec out for a run on Nordschleife and blew the piss out of the engine downshifting from 2nd into 1st gear. Tachometer rocketed to 10,000RPM and my engine went bye-bye. The engine damage indicator flashed a couple of times and then stayed all red. :crazy: You owe me one engine, Nielsen! :D Funny...I was never really a big fan of the Skylines. I'm sure GT6 had a crapload to do with that. So, I never really drove the R34 in AC. Within the past 3-4 months I've really taken a liking to it on certain tracks.

Bug in the console version? Sounds familiar. :irked:

Sorry you had to sacrifice a car, but much appreciated. Now I have also noticed strange behaviour when downshifting the R34 on PS4. Despite having auto-blipping set to off, there's a forced blip which doesn't even manage to match the revs correctly, so something appears to be broken. Fingers crossed it's fixed in the next update. Bug free cars is the least I'd expect from AC.

Bug in the console version? Sounds familiar. :irked:

Sorry you had to sacrifice a car, but much appreciated. Now I have also noticed strange behaviour when downshifting the R34 on PS4. Despite having auto-blipping set to off, there's a forced blip which doesn't even manage to match the revs correctly, so something appears to be broken. Fingers crossed it's fixed in the next update. Bug free cars is the least I'd expect from AC.
Exactly. I don't see how they could have let this go by for so long. I'm sure the R34 is a popular car with console players. I can't think of anything in the physics data files that should cause that auto-blip problem...I know there is some car specific code that we don't have access to, but I thought it was really just the AWD/differential system for this R34 that is locked down. Very odd.

Exactly. I don't see how they could have let this go by for so long. I'm sure the R34 is a popular car with console players. I can't think of anything in the physics data files that should cause that auto-blip problem...I know there is some car specific code that we don't have access to, but I thought it was really just the AWD/differential system for this R34 that is locked down. Very odd.

The worst thing about bugs in the console version is that all the developers are most likely using the PC version as their daily basis reference, while console players are asked to report bugs through 505 Games. So inefficient and probably a dead end in most cases.

I have noticed a few modern cars with manual tranmissions in AC which have forced auto-blipping regardless of using the assist or not, but unlike the Nissan Skyline and its strange DSP on PS4, those cars do match the revs correctly. So I assume some of the cars equipped with manual transmissions are supposed to rev-match automatically, but I'm not really sure. After all, it's a real-world technology used on some modern manual transmissions out there.

Maybe you can check on the PC version to confirm that this is not another mistake on consoles? Set the auto-blip assist to off and notice if you get automatic rev-matching on downshifts in manual cars like the Porsche 911 R or 718 Cayman S. In addition to perfect rev-matching, the throttle indicator in the HUD should reveal any auto-blipping.

Both of those cars have auto-blip in the real-world, even with manual transmission.

Isn't it an optional setting in the real world? If so, it should be handled similar to the way in which AC allows TC and ABS to be toggled on the fly. I seem to remember seeing a video review of some manual Porsche where automatic rev-matching was enabled by the press of a button. Personally, I find the feature slightly irritating. It gives me a inconsistent and somewhat disconnected feeling when upshifts require blipping but downshifts don't, so I'd really like the ability to turn it off when driving with a manual transmission having this gimmick.

Come to think of it, I also noticed it on the Ford Mustang.

Isn't it an optional setting in the real world?

From what I can find it's tied into the drive mode options (eco/sport/track/whatever), some modes have it enabled and some don't. But AC doesn't have selectable modes so we usually just get the most performance-oriented mode as the only option, and that mode has auto-blip on. I'm just guessing here, based on little tidbits of info floating around in my brain.

Why would upshifts require blipping? I've rev-matched my real cars for years and never encountered a situation where I needed to blip on an upshift (that I can recall).

Yeah, if cars have it in real life it's left on. When we load a car/track combo on the PC - on the screen that comes up while you're waiting for everything to load you see some writing in the lower right corner and that's where Kunos puts some pertinent car information. When I load the R34 it tells me the car is on v10 tires and has the electronic kicker enabled - the autoblip - so there is no need to autoblip. The data for the feature is:

Code:
[AUTOBLIP]
ELECTRONIC=1                ; If =1 then it is a feature of the car and cannot be disabled
POINT_0=10                ; Time to reach full level
POINT_1=45                ; Time to start releasing gas
POINT_2=80            ; Time to reach 0 gas
LEVEL=0.8                ; Gas level to be reached

As you can see, ELECTRONIC=1 means always turned on. But, I don't understand why it's giving you a weird amount of blip.

Why would upshifts require blipping? I've rev-matched my real cars for years and never encountered a situation where I needed to blip on an upshift (that I can recall).

Upshifting a manual car is typically characterized by lifting off throttle, engaging clutch, shift, release clutch and then immediately back on the throttle. The sequence is relatively similar to rev-matching downshifts albeit being a different technique, hence my previous point, but perhaps blipping wasn't the right word to use.

Yeah, if cars have it in real life it's left on. When we load a car/track combo on the PC - on the screen that comes up while you're waiting for everything to load you see some writing in the lower right corner and that's where Kunos puts some pertinent car information.

Ok, there's another difference between PC and console versions. Loading screens on PS4 only show names and images of the chosen car and track, nothing else. This difference between platforms doesn't even make sense. I'd appreciate having those little details on PS4.

When I load the R34 it tells me the car is on v10 tires and has the electronic kicker enabled - the autoblip - so there is no need to autoblip.

I assume you meant to say there's no need to blip the car manually? Just to make sure I understand it correctly.

The data for the feature is:

Code:
[AUTOBLIP]
ELECTRONIC=1                ; If =1 then it is a feature of the car and cannot be disabled
POINT_0=10                ; Time to reach full level
POINT_1=45                ; Time to start releasing gas
POINT_2=80            ; Time to reach 0 gas
LEVEL=0.8                ; Gas level to be reached

As you can see, ELECTRONIC=1 means always turned on. But, I don't understand why it's giving you a weird amount of blip.

Thanks for sharing. We have already concluded that the Skyline uses some kind of downshift protection on PS4 that isn't supposed to be enabled. To repeat and clarify, it's currently impossible to blow the car's engine on 100% damage. It works on other cars I've tested to confirm whether premature downshifting is fatal for the engines. Do you know if the underlyng data has something to say about this?

As for the weird amount of auto-blip on the Skyline, maybe it's me who doesn't know how the car really works. However, every downshift appears to get too little blipping initially, but then the revs slowly climb to a steady level. Other cars in AC with a forced auto-blip seem to be more on point when matching the revs. Similar R34 behavior on PC?

Upshifting a manual car is typically characterized by lifting off throttle, engaging clutch, shift, release clutch and then immediately back on the throttle. The sequence is relatively similar to rev-matching downshifts albeit being a different technique, hence my previous point, but perhaps blipping wasn't the right word to use.

Ah, you meant "lift" on upshifts then. Blipping is when you tap the throttle to rev the engine. In a real manual car that has auto-blip on downshifts you'd still have to lift on upshifts, so what AC does sounds correct.

I assume you meant to say there's no need to blip the car manually? Just to make sure I understand it correctly.
Aww crap. Yes. I meant to say there is no need to manually activate auto-blip or perform your own blipping. The blipping is taken care of...and sponsored by Gatorade! Try our new flavor, Haggis! Now back to the action...

I can't think of a single car where there is a problem shifting. With a DFGT having only 2 pedals and no h-pattern shifter I can't drive many of the cars the way they were meant to be driven. So, I have Auto-blip turned on 24/7. I'm not going to assign the clutch to a button or something stupid like that. I'll just drive with auto-blip activated until I get real pedals and an H-Pattern shifter...which I'm not really in any hurry to do right now.

That's all for now, folks. Don't forget our sponsor for this evening, Gatorade! Be sure to try their brand new flavor, Haggis, on a hot summer's day. Gatorade!

Ah, you meant "lift" on upshifts then. Blipping is when you tap the throttle to rev the engine. In a real manual car that has auto-blip on downshifts you'd still have to lift on upshifts, so what AC does sounds correct.

Right. I didn't mean to imply that AC got it wrong. I just prefer having full control of the throttle at all times when using manual transmissions. Not only is it more entertaining but sometimes I also forget the forced auto-blip in cars like 911 R, meaning I occasionally get an undesirable spike of revs on downshifts. Not a thing to keep in mind when the auto-blip isn't there at all.

Aww crap. Yes. I meant to say there is no need to manually activate auto-blip or perform your own blipping. The blipping is taken care of...and sponsored by Gatorade! Try our new flavor, Haggis! Now back to the action...

No worries.

I can't think of a single car where there is a problem shifting. With a DFGT having only 2 pedals and no h-pattern shifter I can't drive many of the cars the way they were meant to be driven. So, I have Auto-blip turned on 24/7. I'm not going to assign the clutch to a button or something stupid like that. I'll just drive with auto-blip activated until I get real pedals and an H-Pattern shifter...which I'm not really in any hurry to do right now.

Using the DS4 controller I always have the auto-blip assist off but auto-clutch on. This way the clutch is operated automatically whenever I shift gears, but I still have to mind throttle blipping in cars relying entirely on the driver's throttle input, i.e. manual transmission without any electronic kicker whatsoever. It adds an extra dimension to car control, and I'd guess these assist settings would also work on your 2-pedal wheel setup? It took me some practice getting used to, but now I can't see myself going back to using the auto-blip assist.

Using the DS4 controller I always have the auto-blip assist off but auto-clutch on. This way the clutch is operated automatically whenever I shift gears, but I still have to mind throttle blipping in cars relying entirely on the driver's throttle input, i.e. manual transmission without any electronic kicker whatsoever. It adds an extra dimension to car control, and I'd guess these assist settings would also work on your 2-pedal wheel setup? It took me some practice getting used to, but now I can't see myself going back to using the auto-blip assist.
Yes. I've seen conversations where people talk about blipping manually with their DFGTs. The only thing I do is lift when I shift in older H-Pattern cars. F40, Shelby Cobra, etc. I lift so the thing isn't changing gears with the speed of a modern day dual-clutch. With a lot of mod cars you MUST lift between gears (with a DFGT) because the modder forgot to code the fuel cutoff time so the tachometer shoots through the roof if you stay flat to the floor. The time is adjusted in the Gearbox section of vehicle data. Not surprisingly, it is named AUTO_CUTOFF_TIME.

Code:
[GEARBOX]
CHANGE_UP_TIME=250                             ; change up time in milliseconds
CHANGE_DN_TIME=270                             ; change down time in milliseconds
AUTO_CUTOFF_TIME=250                          ; Auto cutoff time for upshifts in milliseconds, 0 to disable
SUPPORTS_SHIFTER=1                               ; 1=Car supports shifter, 0=car supports only paddles
VALID_SHIFT_RPM_WINDOW=600             ; range window additional to the precise rev matching rpm that permits gear engage.
CONTROLS_WINDOW_GAIN=0.2                 ; multiplayer for gas,brake,clutch pedals that permits gear engage on different rev matching rpm. the lower the more difficult.
INERTIA=0.0182                                          ; gearbox inertia. default values to 0.02 if not set

It was fixed by 1.14 on PC, an update console players are still waiting for.

Sure that's why I was trying to find the timescale, if it took 2 months from Q&A then I know to expect this update in less time than that.
You are ill informed then. Not sure what you mean by future? How many games have a cuter beyond one or 2 years? If it was a money grab we wouldn't now have private lobbies, we wouldn't be getting custom button mapping in the next update at the request of the players. We wouldn't be getting updates at all.

Yes you're right there is no way of telling how many laps are in progress, but guess what? These cash grabbers have listened to our suggestions and agreed we need more info on the severe that are being run, which can't be added until the next update.

If you wanted a great game from Assetto Corsa then that's your fault for thinking it was trying to be a great game when it's all about the driving. There are plenty of great racing games on console, but there is only one to truly offer a great driving experience. Not every game gas to be all things! That said, I'm sure if in the likely hood they make AC2, it will be a better game too as they will have a much bigger budget to brainstorm with than the 70k euros they had for AC1.

As of today they are hiring too so that's a good sign.
I actually forgot about posting this. I was obviously frustrated at the time, and that's something that keeps repeating itself as I keep retrying Assetto. As far as my use of the term "money grab," that may have been too harsh. I feel like Assetto knew the console versions weren't anywhere near the performance of the PC version, but needed additional funding for further development. So, they released an incomplete game with the intent to use the proceeds to complete it. That's where I came up with "money grab", which I admit is a bit unfair.

Unfortunately, my opinion of Assetto Corsa is souring. I want this game to succeed on consoles because I love the driving experience. But lately I end my sessions frustrated because of simple inconveniences in the games design. Outside of hotlapping this game leaves me with a lot to be desired. Hopfully it comes around in the future.

It appears we will have another rainy Bank Holiday here in Ireland, which is not unheard of, so I may not be able to finish painting the outside of the house. Ah well, Assetto Corsa should get a good seeing to then!

Back